Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Allex said:
So close now to finishing...This one has the same ratio as motomotos 52t with stock front sprocket. For me, one of the best combos especially when you have x-controller.
The belt is Poly Chain 8MGT 12mm wide.

That looks awesome. Can't wait to hear test results.

Future test results: I full throttled the bike up a steep hill and the belt snapped.
My friend lightly touched the throttle with his 8KW modified controller and battery and the belt snapped.
:shock:

just kidding, this was just a joke.

Jasonvh said:
New Fork! Can’t wait for the snow to melt so I can try it!

Fox 40 Factory.

It’s the most versatile tuning system I’ve seen to date. With separate High and Low speed Compression and Rebound should allow a proper tune. Air sprung so no springs to swap out. Air volume tokens to dial in the ramp up. All of these things have been around for some time. Fox has just refined these adjustments to make them more ueser friendly.

9D242BB2-59FB-41CF-B0B5-5524384C2054.jpeg

That is my favorite light vehicle fork on earth!
I bet it feels incredible on a Sur Ron!

That belt drive set up is so hot!!!

Are you willing to sell kits to other folks who want belt drive??

Allex said:
Allex said:
After market, why would surron make that kind of stuff =)

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!

So close now to finishing...This one has the same ratio as motomotos 52t with stock front sprocket. For me, one of the best combos especially when you have x-controller.

Allex said:
Allex said:

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!

Beautiful! Are them made on a CNC machine?

bigbore said:
Allex said:
Allex said:

Beautiful! Are them made on a CNC machine?

Yup!

Allex wrote:

Yeah, I was constantly nagging at you making it though!

That is true. My excuse is that I sold my shop and have been setting up a new one man shop with 4 CNC machines.

I made parts yesterday for the first time since the 1st of January. I will be making 55 tooth and 64 tooth sprockets in the next
couple of weeks.

ASI is finishing up the wiring and programs for the 8000 controller and then I will complete the package with mounting brackets
and covers and have a complete product to sell.

motomoto said:
Allex wrote:

Yeah, I was constantly nagging at you making it though!

That is true. My excuse is that I sold my shop and have been setting up a new one man shop with 4 CNC machines.

I made parts yesterday for the first time since the 1st of January. I will be making 55 tooth and 64 tooth sprockets in the next
couple of weeks.

ASI is finishing up the wiring and programs for the 8000 controller and then I will complete the package with mounting brackets
and covers and have a complete product to sell.

PFM!!! Pure Fuqn Magic!!!!!

Soon, in about a month, most of us in the northern hemisphere can start actually using our bikes with the warmer weather. Can't wait. I haven't used any of my ebikes since like November.

Look forward to the new controller and will have to figure out the best battery voltage to use with the controller and the belt drive, and build a new higher capacity pack for it.

Mmm too bad that I cannot test the bike outdoors just yet, but here is a inhouse run for you!
I totally love it and I would not manage this without Madin, thank you man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4yXvuMhXo

[youtube]Pz4yXvuMhXo[/youtube]

Beautiful belt drive setup!! Great video showing the sound difference too! Once you go belt it's hard to go back to anything else. I bet all the components combined together in that belt drive conversion kit weigh less than the mass of the chain alone, and have lower losses at all torque levels and speed levels (starts to get bigger gains as speed get higher).

Is this test with the first or X-controller? As with the belt drive (great upgrade BTW!) you can hear the whine of the controller/motor much better.

Offroader said:
Future test results: I full throttled the bike up a steep hill and the belt snapped.
My friend lightly touched the throttle with his 8KW modified controller and battery and the belt snapped.
:shock:

just kidding, this was just a joke.

I have seen that people added a second, pre-installed replacement belt on zero bikes (wrapped around the swing near the motor and fixed with zip ties) and they were able to put it on without the need to remove the rear wheel (quasi tool free). I cannot say for sure if thats possible on the Surron, but if it turns out that it is you could do the same :)

For a street bike i always would prefer a belt drive, especially on electric bikes as it will reduce the noise a lot.
If you align and tension the belt properly when doing the converion, it should be a very reliable drive train.
btw: there is a smartphone app from gates to measure tension in Hz via the microphon so no special tools would be required.

Great work Allex!
I have some experience with the Zero 14mm belt, and I fear gravel will be the main issue. Stones get trapped between Belt and pulley and may eventually perforate the belt. Looks like this (not my bike, courtesy of Zero Motorcycle forum :D ):

gravel1.jpg

I had another Idea: Why not use Gates' Carbon Drive Bicycle System? It has a self cleaning ability with its open pulley design. I don't know about the maximum torque it can handle, would be interesting to know if the stock Sur Ron has enough torque to rip it.

Gates-Belt-Drive-Amsterdam-Upgrade-kitt.jpg

Or maybe this system with its guiding groove does not tolerate any misalignment, which would occur with a rear suspension? The Zero belt allows for some mm movement..

Allex said:
Mmm too bad that I cannot test the bike outdoors just yet, but here is a inhouse run for you!
I totally love it and I would not manage this without Madin, thank you man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4yXvuMhXo

[youtube]Pz4yXvuMhXo[/youtube]

Thats just so much difference. Alex are you going to make these available for sale. What length belt did you use.

Sure Rodney,
I will offer them and the preliminary price is 375USD including shipping.
Length is 1440mm
I have created a spreadsheet, so please - those who are interested, fill it in! Or just PM me.

Once I get 10 orders and you payed for them I can start the production, lead time is about 1 month
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UYdZDCAjuFBa-fUHh2NnmVNHtTEeEMM4-VGm5Uhg6hk/edit?usp=sharing

Back