New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
bacman   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 26 2019 6:27pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by bacman » Mar 12 2019 7:17pm

Hi,
could you recommend me TDSZ2 motor for MTB? Which should I choose, is there a difference in freewheel clutches inside of the motor? Can I backpedal with TDSZ2 without "coast/foot brake function"? I am confused :lol:

EU No Tax 36V250W or 36V350W TSDZ2 mid drive motor with torque sensor and coast/foot brake function
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-8z-qcpg

EU No Tax 36V250W /36V350W TSDZ2 mid drive motor with torque sensor throttle e-brake lever
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-4t-hkfj

Also how can I tell if the motor has the connector for firmware changes?

raylo32   100 W

100 W
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 04 2019 3:09pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by raylo32 » Mar 12 2019 7:23pm

TSDZ2 has a clutch/freewheel built in to the motor so, yes, you can stop pedaling or back pedal whenever you want, just like a regular bike.
bacman wrote:
Mar 12 2019 7:17pm
Hi,
could you recommend me TDSZ2 motor for MTB? Which should I choose, is there a difference in freewheel clutches inside of the motor? Can I backpedal with TDSZ2 without "coast/foot brake function"? I am confused :lol:

EU No Tax 36V250W or 36V350W TSDZ2 mid drive motor with torque sensor and coast/foot brake function
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-8z-qcpg

EU No Tax 36V250W /36V350W TSDZ2 mid drive motor with torque sensor throttle e-brake lever
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-4t-hkfj

Also how can I tell if the motor has the connector for firmware changes?

Rydon   100 W

100 W
Posts: 239
Joined: Aug 11 2016 5:26pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Rydon » Mar 12 2019 9:48pm

la8rat wrote:
Mar 12 2019 3:28pm
Regarding my problem.

As a vaper i have a bit of knowledge about heating coils and ohms law.

Im going to build a 5 ohms resistance coil that at 50 volts will draw 10 amps and 500 watts. Figure 6 inch of clapton wire will be in the ballpark.

Ill monitor it till im down to 48 volts. Then see if it works.

If for any reason this is an awful idea please let me know.

Should think a few minutes should be enough.
This will work. All you need is a load. You can use an AC or DC heating coil or any incandescent light bulb. I use a 200W to do the same thing. You may need to take it down to 42 volts before the 36v motor will start working. Then you may only have one volt down to 41v before your BMS LVC cuts the battery off. But at least you will know if it works.

la8rat   1 W

1 W
Posts: 59
Joined: Mar 12 2019 10:34am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by la8rat » Mar 12 2019 11:36pm

Thanks everyone

mctubster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 208
Joined: Feb 26 2018 6:21am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by mctubster » Mar 13 2019 12:46am

la8rat wrote:
Mar 12 2019 4:28pm
Id be happy to buy a controller thats been flashed and has the correct connector on it (6 pin)
By the time ive read pages of info and wrapped my head around it all to the point where i can make it work.. i could have done a few hours overtime and paid someone to do one for me.

Might seem lazy but the amout of time ive wasted learning something i use one time is shocking..
Unfortunately it's the motor that needs to be flashed. The website that was linked had a pretty good looking flashing kit, and it really is 10 mins to setup and flash the motor with what is included.

Mike-P   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 03 2019 3:16pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Mike-P » Mar 13 2019 1:19pm

la8rat wrote:
Mar 12 2019 4:28pm
Id be happy to buy a controller thats been flashed and has the correct connector on it (6 pin)
By the time ive read pages of info and wrapped my head around it all to the point where i can make it work.. i could have done a few hours overtime and paid someone to do one for me.
Have a look at the youtube videos on it by jbalatutube starting at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj8GxKHut3o, some parts irrelevant if you get a display with correct lead on it and the correct programming leads from Electrify Bike. Tempted but as far as I can make out the firmware does not support a front light currently.

la8rat   1 W

1 W
Posts: 59
Joined: Mar 12 2019 10:34am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by la8rat » Mar 13 2019 1:25pm

Just had my first powered ride.. im more than impressed with how it pulls up hills. Only had time for a quick play.
Battery started out at 53.8 volts. I used a 5 ohm vape wire to knock it down bit by bit.
At 45.5v the walk mode worked intermittently for a little bit but battery recovered to 46.5 volts.
Took it down to 44.7v and bingo.. all fully working.

Will definitely have to flash the motor. Is that a seperate thing to the flashed controller?

raylo32   100 W

100 W
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 04 2019 3:09pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by raylo32 » Mar 13 2019 1:38pm

For stock display you just flash the motor.

sysrq   100 W

100 W
Posts: 126
Joined: May 07 2018 6:05pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by sysrq » Mar 13 2019 7:07pm

la8rat wrote:
Mar 13 2019 1:25pm
Just had my first powered ride.. im more than impressed with how it pulls up hills. Only had time for a quick play.
Battery started out at 53.8 volts. I used a 5 ohm vape wire to knock it down bit by bit.
At 45.5v the walk mode worked intermittently for a little bit but battery recovered to 46.5 volts.
Took it down to 44.7v and bingo.. all fully working.

Will definitely have to flash the motor. Is that a seperate thing to the flashed controller?
Mine 36 volt version kinda pulls up the small hills using 42t x 28t gearing only with fresh battery and in turbo mode only. If the battery is around 80% or more then the battery level indicator on xh-18 display starts to intermitently sag and motor is struggling. Might be due to CYCBT battery with it's Samsung LiFePO4 cells as they say on the cardboard box, although Samsung is not known for making LiFePO4 cells.

la8rat   1 W

1 W
Posts: 59
Joined: Mar 12 2019 10:34am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by la8rat » Mar 13 2019 11:20pm

Yours is very high geared. Is it just a single speed rear or is 28t your biggest cog on rear cassette?
I swapped my 42t chain ring to a 38t narrow wide and my biggest cog on back is 36t

I can ride up the same hill with power off but it flys up with it on. Im on 26inch wheels as well so mine is a lot lower geared than yours.

I think its important to try to give the motor best gearing you can.. but im coming at this as a mountain biker with blown knees. Id rather spin a bit faster on the peddles.

mctubster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 208
Joined: Feb 26 2018 6:21am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by mctubster » Mar 14 2019 2:04am

sysrq wrote:
Mar 13 2019 7:07pm

Mine 36 volt version kinda pulls up the small hills using 42t x 28t gearing only with fresh battery and in turbo mode only. If the battery is around 80% or more then the battery level indicator on xh-18 display starts to intermitently sag and motor is struggling. Might be due to CYCBT battery with it's Samsung LiFePO4 cells as they say on the cardboard box, although Samsung is not known for making LiFePO4 cells.
The 36V motor stock puts out 500-550W in its sweet spot ... say 60-80RPM with a full battery.

If you are running under 60 RPM you will be losing higher amounts of power to heat. It is only a little motor it needs to spin.

Other than that it is expectations management given the size of the motor (which is small). It is assist not a pedelec style with higher torque at lower RPMs like the Bafang BBS02.

James Broadhurst   10 W

10 W
Posts: 72
Joined: Nov 10 2016 3:29pm
Location: Oxford, England

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by James Broadhurst » Mar 14 2019 3:14am

Mike-P wrote:
Mar 13 2019 1:19pm
Tempted but as far as I can make out the firmware does not support a front light currently.
It does. Press up button.

sysrq   100 W

100 W
Posts: 126
Joined: May 07 2018 6:05pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by sysrq » Mar 14 2019 1:09pm

la8rat wrote:
Mar 13 2019 11:20pm
Yours is very high geared. Is it just a single speed rear or is 28t your biggest cog on rear cassette?
I swapped my 42t chain ring to a 38t narrow wide and my biggest cog on back is 36t

I can ride up the same hill with power off but it flys up with it on. Im on 26inch wheels as well so mine is a lot lower geared than yours.

I think its important to try to give the motor best gearing you can.. but im coming at this as a mountain biker with blown knees. Id rather spin a bit faster on the peddles.
If it has 28 inch wheels and 42t chainring and Shimano 7 Speed Freewheel 14-28t then it's probably geared high. High cadence doesn't work on tsdz2 anyway.

el_proletario   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 18 2019 1:55pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by el_proletario » Mar 14 2019 3:40pm

Has anyone try to use the coaster brake version on a freewheel bike ? I'm planning to buy a hybrid bike with regular derailleur, a Btwin Riverside 120,when my motor is back from repair center.
The chain would move backwards ocasionally but that wouldn't be a problem right ?

Otherwise is there any way to convert it for good to freewheel?

Thanks guys.

Rydon   100 W

100 W
Posts: 239
Joined: Aug 11 2016 5:26pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Rydon » Mar 14 2019 3:57pm

el_proletario wrote:
Mar 14 2019 3:40pm
Has anyone try to use the coaster brake version on a freewheel bike ? I'm planning to buy a hybrid bike with regular derailleur, a Btwin Riverside 120,when my motor is back from repair center.
The chain would move backwards ocasionally but that wouldn't be a problem right ?

Otherwise is there any way to convert it for good to freewheel?

Thanks guys.
It will work fine. Just like a regular bike it will freewheel at the rear hub and not the cranks. With no freewheel at the cranks you cannot have throttle, walk assist, or cruise control

Mike-P   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 03 2019 3:16pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Mike-P » Mar 14 2019 4:00pm

James Broadhurst wrote:
Mar 14 2019 3:14am
Mike-P wrote:
Mar 13 2019 1:19pm
Tempted but as far as I can make out the firmware does not support a front light currently.
It does. Press up button.
Thanks for the info -is the rear light worked by the down button then? The one annoyance I find with the VLCD-5 is the lights being worked by the power on off button and consequently its seems too easy to switch off when wanting to switch the lights on.
Last edited by Mike-P on Mar 14 2019 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

casainho   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3715
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 14 2019 4:10pm

Mike-P wrote:
Mar 14 2019 4:00pm
James Broadhurst wrote:
Mar 14 2019 3:14am
Mike-P wrote:
Mar 13 2019 1:19pm
Tempted but as far as I can make out the firmware does not support a front light currently.
It does. Press up button.
Thanks for the info -is the rear light worked by the down button then? The one annoyance I find with the VLCD-5 is the lights being worked by the power on off button and consequently its seems too easy to switch off when wanting to switch the light on.
Our flexible OpenSource firmware had an issue with lights but it is now corrected and tested by some users (they found and solved the issue, thanks to them!!). But the correction to the issue is very recent and the latest stable version does not include it, so I need to plan and make a new version...

To turn on/off the lights, user must do a long press on the LCD3 up button.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and displays (Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

la8rat   1 W

1 W
Posts: 59
Joined: Mar 12 2019 10:34am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by la8rat » Mar 14 2019 5:12pm

If i just want to run my 36v motor on 48v batteries

Is there any difference between flashing the open source firmware to the motor or flashing the stock 48v firmware to the motor?

My controller is the vlcd6.. motor 500w

andrea_104kg   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Mar 05 2018 5:51pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by andrea_104kg » Mar 14 2019 5:50pm

any ideas to cool the engine? I installed a thermometer and after an off-road ride I read 102 ° ... To go home I did 4km of asphalt climbs and I got 86 ° (not over 600w) . The ambience temperature was only 10 °, when spring comes it will be impossible to use the bicycle :( :( i weight 104kg :-(
It is useless to limit the current, 80 ° can be reached immediately, I live in a mountain area :-(
Attachments
temp1.jpg
temp1.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 908 times
temp2.jpg
temp2.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 908 times
temp3.jpg
temp3.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 908 times
temp10.jpg
temp10.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 908 times
temp14.jpg
temp14.jpg (47.94 KiB) Viewed 908 times

casainho   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3715
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 14 2019 6:00pm

andrea_104kg wrote:
Mar 14 2019 5:50pm
any ideas to cool the engine? I installed a thermometer and after an off-road ride I read 102 ° ... To go home I did 4km of asphalt climbs and I got 86 ° (not over 600w) . The ambience temperature was only 10 °, when spring comes it will be impossible to use the bicycle :( :( i weight 104kg :-(
It is useless to limit the current, 80 ° can be reached immediately, I live in a mountain area :-(
I weight 101 kg and I do mountain climbing and I installed the temperature sensor and our firmware controls very well the max motor temperature.

80 degrees can't be reached immediately, I am sure you did measure something wrong.

It is not useless to control the current, it is in fact the only source for motor temperature raise!! That is why our firmware control the current when motor max temperature hits the limit and it is very effective.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and displays (Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

andrea_104kg   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Mar 05 2018 5:51pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by andrea_104kg » Mar 14 2019 6:24pm

the only thing is that the thermometer is broken, but it correctly reads the room temperature and also the body temperature. During the test I touched the body of the engine and I could hardly hold my hand, I think over 55 °, inside obviously the temperature is much higher. Unfortunately, in my hills, a 2 km climb is enough to reach and exceed 80 ° unless the sensor is broken ...
it is useless to control the current because I should do the whole tour with reduced power, since after 2km I am already above 80°, and with only 10° of ambience temperature :-(

casainho   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3715
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 14 2019 7:48pm

andrea_104kg wrote:
Mar 14 2019 6:24pm
the only thing is that the thermometer is broken, but it correctly reads the room temperature and also the body temperature. During the test I touched the body of the engine and I could hardly hold my hand, I think over 55 °, inside obviously the temperature is much higher. Unfortunately, in my hills, a 2 km climb is enough to reach and exceed 80 ° unless the sensor is broken ...
it is useless to control the current because I should do the whole tour with reduced power, since after 2km I am already above 80°, and with only 10° of ambience temperature :-(
If you limit the current to around 10 amps, the motor may not reach the 85 degrees -- this is my experience.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and displays (Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

mctubster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 208
Joined: Feb 26 2018 6:21am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by mctubster » Mar 14 2019 8:36pm

andrea_104kg wrote:
Mar 14 2019 6:24pm
the only thing is that the thermometer is broken, but it correctly reads the room temperature and also the body temperature. During the test I touched the body of the engine and I could hardly hold my hand, I think over 55 °, inside obviously the temperature is much higher. Unfortunately, in my hills, a 2 km climb is enough to reach and exceed 80 ° unless the sensor is broken ...
it is useless to control the current because I should do the whole tour with reduced power, since after 2km I am already above 80°, and with only 10° of ambience temperature :-(
Hi there.

I made this comment in an earlier post ... the motor is only small and not designed to run at high power other than short bursts.
Look at the size of it! If you are smashing up hills at the current/power limit yes it will overheat quickly.

Lower gears, higher cadence and lower speeds will solve the problem of course.

On high levels of assist you are not gaining much from the torque sensor and might as well go for a PAS motor that can handle your expectations better like the Bafang BBS02 or HD.

All the best

andrea_104kg   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Mar 05 2018 5:51pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by andrea_104kg » Mar 15 2019 2:20am

the problem for me is very serious, because it also occurs on the road at only 10 degrees of ambient temperature. the speed was around 9-11 km / h I could decrease the assistance but then I am very slow and probably when the temperature goes above 20 degrees even this will not be enough. it also prevents you from taking any rides in the company of other cyclists.

casainho   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3715
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 15 2019 2:54am

andrea_104kg wrote:
Mar 15 2019 2:20am
the problem for me is very serious, because it also occurs on the road at only 10 degrees of ambient temperature. the speed was around 9-11 km / h I could decrease the assistance but then I am very slow and probably when the temperature goes above 20 degrees even this will not be enough. it also prevents you from taking any rides in the company of other cyclists.
As me, other users had installed the motor temperature sensor and say that after 10 amps the motor gets hot near the limit.

10 amps at 52V battery pack is 500W and 500W is plenty of power unless you are not pedaling and all and using incorrect gears and then you would feel the need to use the 750W of power...

Also, when you say "it also prevents you from taking any rides in the company of other cyclists.", you must be wrong as any cyclist can't sustain 500W!!
Probably you can output about 150W continuous while the TSDZ2 can do the 500W continuous, that is 3 times more!!
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and displays (Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

Post Reply