Nissan Leaf Modules over 500 amps peak?

garolittle

10 kW
So I am finding conflicting information regarding the peak amps for a 7S configuration of Nissan Leaf modules (2013 model year). This is a 54V nominal pack and the site below claims over 500 amps peak current. Other sources have claimed lower peak current levels for this same cell. Any opinions from the experts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. GaryIMG_0D1EA1FB1F5C-1.jpeg

What time period does each site give for "peak"?

Without knowing how they tested it, you can't directly compare the data.

Note that while none of those places may acutally be doing this: places that sell cells may overrate them simply because they want to sell more, and figure they won't actually get used at those rates, but people who don't even need that good a cell would still buy them just because they look better. :/

i dont buy those numbers. pulling those currents from that type of cell will kill it on short fashion.

if you think you will hit anywere near those currents you need a different appoach in the DIY world. increase voltages so you can lower currents is the first thing i would look at.

Good feedback. I would only be pulling 250 - 300 amps on my current set up so I will be no where near 500. It's best not to tempt fate. : - ) Thanks for the quick responses. Gary VenomKarts.com

54AH is way down from what they are new. Unfortunately, most of the Leaf modules available are well used. I got some almost new ones 3 years ago for my golf cart but they are hard to find since they are all salvaged from crashed cars or from packs turned in because they have dropped in capacity too much.

Good point. It is a shame that these packs are not more readily available with higher capacity. The "modular" nature of Leaf batteries make them ideal for achieving whatever voltage you need for your project. Thanks for the good feedback. We are using them only for a prototype. VenomKarts.com

Add 100-psi compression on the flat sides, and also add a temp sensor to the inner cells. 140F temps or more are a no-go, warm is good, hot is bad.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

spinningmagnets said:
Add 100-psi compression on the flat sides, and also add a temp sensor to the inner cells. 140F temps or more are a no-go, warm is good, hot is bad.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Thanks sir. I hope you’ve been doing well. I really appreciate your response. Gary

>500A...LOL. I have most of a Leaf pack and used a big car battery tester to load test 2 modules in series. I wouldn't pull over 200A peak and 100A continuous through mine to avoid heat problems. They're sag city (ie relatively high resistance) compared to the other electric car batteries I have. Mine won't go in a traction battery, so they'll get used as a home based electric storage system.

Checked out your website you look like spinning magnets little brother. What's up with that ? Ceramic over didn't know we're having a spinning magnets look-alike contest.

999zip999 said:
Checked out your website you look like spinning magnets little brother. What's up with that ? Ceramic over didn't know we're having a spinning magnets look-alike contest.

Lol! He and I have the same awesome haircut. I only wish I knew as much about battery technology as he does. He is the King! :)

Leaf modules work great in my golf cart. Much better than the FLA batteries I replaced with them. I have 14 modules which means they are two in parallel so they easily do 300 Amps burst which is all I need. I have 120AH capacity at 58V nominal. The pack weighs 110 pounds which is 250 pounds less than the 48V FLA pack it replaced.

Volt_Ampere said:
Leaf modules work great in my golf cart. Much better than the FLA batteries I replaced with them. I have 14 modules which means they are two in parallel so they easily do 300 Amps burst which is all I need. I have 120AH capacity at 58V nominal. The pack weighs 110 pounds which is 250 pounds less than the 48V FLA pack it replaced.

I have half of that (7 modules connected in series) so I will be a little more cautious when above 200-amps. Our prototype is really for testing purposes only since the production version will likely use 18650 cells. Thanks for the feedback. Gary VenomKarts.com

Some background reading, and test data...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52162&hilit=Nissan+leaf+module+test
Plenty of evidence for that 540A peak.
But be aware of the various versions of these cells and modules.

Hillhater said:
Some background reading, and test data...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52162&hilit=Nissan+leaf+module+test
Plenty of evidence for that 540A peak.

Thanks for the link. I need to read it carefully but I did notice the following quote..... :shock: maybe these cells can handle the high current “
Assuming the 80kw is peak power draw and voltage sags to the nominal voltage Nissan uses, 360V, then it's 222A drawn through the 2p modules. At 66ah that's 3.4C . I think it's reasonable to assume that's a near continuous rating, since relatively long climbs can be expected.”

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=631

So they make an interesting case for why Leaf modules may handle higher current. I will do some testing and post the results.

“According US Department of ENERGY study* these batteries can provide up to 240A continuous or over 540A short time on pulse (time is not specified).”

I have not found this particular report on the web yet but I will post a link if I do.

Hillhater said:
Maybe this is the one refered to..
http://media3.ev-tv.me/DOEleaftest.pdf
It reports a pack test peak discharge of 201 kW which would imply over 500amps

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing this thread. It looks like several people have claimed to have reached 500 amps (max current).

Back