Another Stealth bomber (clone) build

@dung, yours looks nicer than mine. It's hard to tell from the pic but looks like you have a steel insert in yours, I'd leave it alone if that's the case.

Made more progress this weekend, but still down. I could've rushed to get it back together just to take it apart later to add the improvements I want to implement. I got the swingarm painted and bolted back up. I didn't want to do a complete new paint job on something that I'm going to beat up. I've also eaten shit a few times so the paint job had dings and scratches everywhere. The swingarm bolted up nicely and feels super secure. All the effort should pay off in the end.

I have also started adding an internal frame made out of aluminum L bracket stock to make an frame for the battery to sit on. Doing this will also create a pocket under the battery so I can cram more stuff in there. I'll likely be down another week or so, definitely in the home stretch with the rear, then will move onto making the front more secure (having starnut issues). Would really love to sell these front forks and get some new ones, but that's not an option right now, will have to see what I can do with these.

Back with more

Attachments

• 20190317_190921.jpg
    20190317_190921.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 4,633
Choppa66 said:
Dung said:
Seems like my bearings at swingarm differ from yours and the inside is not of rubber. I hope it will hold.

12345.jpg

Hi Dung. That's different then?? Looks like a better job than the rubber bushing we had in ours. Are you sure its the same frame as we have? If yours is an EEB frame then I'm thinking it may be different? The frame we have is all steel with steel side panels,does yours have plastic side panels and square box section inside the frame where the batteries and electronics go? Be interesting to see a picture. I'm sure that bearing you have there will be fine aslong as there's no play in it?

Hi Choppa66

Right now there are only 2 producer (Changzhou Zhongchun Electric and Yangzhou Saili Motor) that sells the cheap version of EEB on Alibaba.com. I paid 130 $ for the frame from this producer: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.28.212136ec334L7X. The sidepanels are of steel too.

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

Shortcircuit911

Looking good,that knobbly back tyre looks cool,going to be so much better off road to!! :thumb: I'm pleased the bearing on swinging arm worked good,still haven't got mine back together,just haven't had the time,need to try and find some though. New mounts for rear shock look good to. Top job.🙂👍👍

Dung

I'm with shortcircuit911 on that one about bearing,I think that will be fine and certainly looks a better job than the rubber one we had. Saves you having the hassle of drilling out the rubber one for sure. Looks like you have as standard what we have had to make so got to be a good thing. Good luck with the build,keep us posted.🙂👍

So I've been pretty slammed at work and not a lot of time to work on the bike. I have made a bit of progress though. I finished mounting the aluminum frame for the battery to rest on inside the battery box. I also cut and bent some aluminum sheet metal to mount to the frame.
Doing this allows for a few things, 1) the battery has a firm base to rest on (there will be foam as well) and 2) there is now a channel underneath the battery that has allowed me to move the dc/dc converter, terminal block, and mount fan.

As you can tell from the pics I got a little paranoid about things possibly shorting on the frame so I went crazy with the kapton tape. The terminal block and dc/dc will live here so I want to make sure everything is ok and will be ok when bashing.

Finally in the home stretch as far as getting it back together, hope to be done this weekend. I'm really curious to see how it rides with the new tire, should hook up. The front end still needs a new starnut, hope to get that installed as well.

Attachments

• 20190325_214114.jpg
    20190325_214114.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 4,567
  • 20190325_221012.jpg
    20190325_221012.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 4,567
Finally got a couple hours to finish up the bike.
I finished extending the wiring for the 12v system because I moved the dc/dc and terminal block all the way down under the battery tray. I finished wiring the fan (which I'll probably change) and got everything back together.

I went for a quick rip down the street and it felt amazing. The bike felt strong the tire grabbed nicely and wasn't really bumpy on the road. In the dirt or felt really good and I was able to put all the power down in turbo mode and didn't lose traction.

The rear end felt super tight (a good thing) I tried to induce a fishtail at high speed, but it held together nicely. The tire is also a little stiffer which helps make the bike feel more secure.

Attachments

• 20190331_145245 (1).jpg
    20190331_145245 (1).jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 4,521
  • 20190331_151435.jpg
    20190331_151435.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 4,521
Had some beautiful weather this weekend and I was able to get the bike out for a proper ride with the new tire. The wife was planning on being out for a few hours today so I knew exactly what I was going to do. I've been wanting to climb this big ass hill here in town. I drive by it all the time and think man I want to climb that on my bike. I've been waiting to climb it until the new tire was on because I knew I'd need all the traction I could get. needless to say I made it up the hill! There was some wheel spin going up which added to the challenge, but it was really fun. Not sure how much power I was pulling going up but it didn't trip the BMS which is good, 200A would've been sweet going up the hill, future goals.

VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmL6s-CZ4k

Attachments

• 20190407_110538.jpg
    20190407_110538.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 4,465
  • 20190407_105909.jpg
    20190407_105909.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 4,465
Thanks for sharing the hill climb. You have an awesome build. The snow is still melting here so I'm pretty jealous of all that green!

Enjoy the ride :bigthumb:

Cool video and bike looking great!! :bigthumb: bike made pretty light work of that hill!!😁👍front forks seem to be holding out ok,I know you want to change them but seem to be working well for now. :thumb: :thumb:

@pwd thanks hope you get to ride soon.

About halfway up I lost a lot of speed and was getting some wheel spin. I was full throttle the whole way, didn't let off (kept saying "I'm not doing the walk of shame" to myself)

@choppa Front suspension sucks but is holding up. I put a new starnut in so we'll see how long that lasts.

I really need to look into better cooling fans/vents. After that hill climb my controller was super hot and by the time I got back home there was no acceleration because the controller was cutting back power. There is also a water cooling option for the mobipus, might have to look into that as well. This weekend was a blast, I plan on hitting some more spots and making some more videos soon.

Looks cool. Can you not direct mount the bars then to top of forks and not have a stem/starnut? Hope you get around the heat issues on controller then,most of what you read on hear is problems with motors overheating? Need to get on with mine and post some pics on here.🙂🙂

Not much of an update other than to say that she's running sweet. I went back to my hometown last weekend and ripped at one of my old riding spots growing up. I got some video while I was there, not much so I'll throw it in with some other video I have of local spots for the next one. The wife did manage to capture a few epic pics though

Almost forgot, I just ordered a mini spot A welder from one of the forum members. It should be here in a few weeks so I can start the battery building process, although not for my bike, it will be for my kid's bike. When we go out riding he always runs out of juice or doesn't have enough power to get around in the dirt, so I'm going to build him a battery with some of the littokalas I have. This should give me some good experience for my battery.

Welder:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98854

So much more to come.

Attachments

• Resized_20190420_193356.jpg
    Resized_20190420_193356.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 4,351
I am also starting my build. What cranks and bottom bracket are you guys using. Are you guys using multiple chain rings? Thanks.

Cool pictures,pleased it's going great.👍👍

Bike stick. Welcome,hope build goes ok. Bottom bracket on my frame is just a square taper one so quite limited I think in what cranks you can use as in the amount of teeth on chaining,I just have a single one on mine and a single speed rear freewheel,will be nightmare to actually peddle the thing I reckon! Will depend on the width of your hub motor as to whether you can put more than one rear freewheel on it and use deralier to make it easier to peddle if need be?🤔

Mine is the FC-1 from Ebay. I would like to put gears on it if possible. Also the dirt bike seat that I am seeing so much. Where are they finding them? My parts are all on the way and I cant wait to get started thanks for the reply.

Bikestick said:
Mine is the FC-1 from Ebay. I would like to put gears on it if possible. Also the dirt bike seat that I am seeing so much. Where are they finding them? My parts are all on the way and I cant wait to get started thanks for the reply.

I think that frame is maybe different to what shortcircuit911 and myself have? I think that one is the quilbix style clone frame? If what I have googled is right. I'm sure there are some builds of that frame on here somewhere? Might get a bit more info from those. Like I said the motor width and the width of your swinging arm will determine If you can fit in a rear cassette or just a single freewheel I think. 🤔👍

I have a question for my build since I am just starting out. How many teeth sprocket are you using on the crank set and how long of cranks. Thanks..

@bikestick What's up man, welcome. I'm not even sure how many teeth are on my front sprocket (haven't even hooked up a chain). I think 42t is what a lot of people are using. Andy sells, them, I'm sure there's other vendors.
https://www.cloudsto.com/ebikes/42-tooth-chain-ring-detail.html

The bike has been running solid, all I do is hop on it and beat the sh*t out of it. I'm still waiting for the spot welder to come in so I'll be starting a battery build soon. That will be a different thread as it will be for my kid's bike, so be on the lookout for that. Also haven't had time to edit the video from the last few outings, no time these days. Hope your guys' builds are coming along, been looking on the forum for updates. Peace!

shortcircuit911 said:
The bike has been running solid, all I do is hop on it and beat the sh*t out of it. I'm still waiting for the spot welder to come in so I'll be starting a battery build soon. That will be a different thread as it will be for my kid's bike, so be on the lookout for that. Also haven't had time to edit the video from the last few outings, no time these days. Hope your guys' builds are coming along, been looking on the forum for updates. Peace!

Shortcircuit, its been awhile for me as health issues put my progress behind. But my battery is done.. And numerous test rides have commenced..lol Just have to figure out more programming on my sabvoton .
20190331_140728resized.jpg[

@gearsgrind, really sorry to hear you've been having health issues, hope your feeling better and can get on the bike soon. I was following your battery build, you really did a nice job man, the welds were nice and you could tell that you took your time. I almost PM'd you to see if you wanted to sell your welder, but I saw the minispotA and decided to go with that.

Anyway, it came in the other day, I hven't fired it up yet. I didn't buy the lipo that the seller recommended, but I do have a 12v lead acid battery that I bought for the sport welder I built a few months ago. I'll try and use the lead acid (been buying lots of guitar parts lately) battery and save some money. Going to build that battery for my son's bike soon and I'll start another thread for that to avoid cluttering this one up. Weekdays I'm pretty slammed, but I'll try and make some progress on this in the coming weeks. More to come.

Attachments

• 20190511_204800.jpg
    20190511_204800.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 4,079
Having built 3 bikes and have 2 more on the floor I am going to pipe in. I too bought one of these "cheap" frames exactly like yours just to futz with because all my friends want a bike but done want to pay $$ so I was seeing what the build quality on these were and after reading your 9 pages of woes I would personally recommend to have just gone ahead and bought a Qulbix 140r Frame from Qulbix. I have the 76r and it is leaps and bounds better quality and fit vs the thing I have here in the box. Yes it is another 3-400 for the frame but with all the modifications you have had to make on this one. The same one I guess I will need to make somewhere down the line when they bring it back to me broke. I am thinking It may be better to just go with a better frame.

I also have a set of those Zoom forks on my "cheap bike" and they must be hit and miss because mine actually work quite well but the Marzocchi 888 I have on the 76r are much much better but 150.00 you cant beat them for cruising around. I got lucky an found my 888 barely used on bay but I had to extend the head tube (see my post) so I will warn you about buying used forks as most people have cut them down for a MBT frame and the ebike frames have a much longer headtube and they will be too short. Just something to remember if you go that route. My lathed milled aluminum extension is still holding up great and I would really rather have a set of Fox 40's but not for 1500.00

I do commend you on your skills and effort getting this frame up to spec though. You have given me some good ideas. Check out my builds here:

Qulbix q76r vs EEB Enduro vs GT Aggressor detailed build
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95104

I have only built the 4 types so I will rate them in order

Mountain bike Frame = Pain in the ass
Stealth clone (this frame) = Looks like it is going to be a pain in the ass
EEB Enduro (from EM3EV) = This frame actually went together with very little problems
Qulbix q76r or 140r (Qulbix) = Not one problem

The Problem I have with the EEB Enduro is the plastic side panels. I already broke one of mine that is why I was trying this frame out. The EEB also has a weird feel to it because of the location of the crank in relation to the ground and it has a steeper rake on the steering tube making it noticeably more wonky on dips and curves. The next issue is the weight. JESUS this thing weighs over 40lbs. Bare. My 76r weighs 14lbs and I believe the EEB is about 21lbs so that makes this thing a beast.

I am very concerned about the headset spacing I saw on the 1st page or so. I will check that on mine tomorrow but if this frame needs to be reamed like yours to make the forks fit. I am thinking I may just eat the 275.00 I paid for it and push it to the curb. There is point where saving a few bucks wastes many more hours down the road I dont have.

All in all I like your bike. Nice work on everything you did but if you keep riding and break something else. You might check into this one. All the parts should be a direct swap. Unless you live in the region you should be tax exempt so look at the second cost which is 680.00 USD

In addition to EM3EV I have also ordered several things form these people and shipment was quick and packing was A+ Most of the parts in the EEB I ordered form them and they are the only place I had found at the time (Nov 2017) that had 19inch moto rims and tire mounted with the front moto rim with 20mm thru axle. I have both one of their 3000w motors and a 1500w motor and both are still running strong. Their site is weird to navigate but if you did around there more there than you think.

https://ncyclebike.aliexpress.com/store/2214086

However I just noticed today that Paul over at EM3EV is selling the 3000w motor mounted in a 19" moto wheel for 295.00 so I am going to buy one in the next few weeks and check it out. If anyone else has one of these please tell me how they fair. He is also selling the front matching moto rim for 100.00 and that is a pretty good deal.

https://em3ev.com/shop/3kw-rear-direct-drive-hub-motor/

@felix what's up man. I saw your thread a while back, very detailed. You're lucky to have all those bikes. Thanks for the compliments. As far as my bike, it's pretty much in the home stretch. I regret being cheap with the forks up front. I knew they were cheap when I bought them, but I was on a budget so I got them. I'd like something better, because I really beat the bike and the forks are the only issue.

I have mixed feelings about the frame and can't compare it to other frames as I have no experience with them. The next bike I build will definitely be chain driven. I think you're right about the plastic side panels, luckily I have the metal panels which I thought was a bad thing at first. I've had to mount parts to the panels (controller, battery holders) and having metal instead of plastic has been as huge plus. I've also fallen over a few times climbing hills so who knows how long plastic side panels would've lasted me. As far as modding the frame and swingarm, I didn't mind it too much, although everyone isn't like me (or have access to the equipment I do). For those out there not wanting to tinker and mod things, I'd recommend buying the best parts you can buy and overbuild things.

One a side note: I got the lipo I ordered for the spot welder, but it doesn't have enough of a C rating (30-40), so the welds looked like shit, total bummer. Finally broke down and got a tunrigy nanotech 45-90c pack, that should do the trick. The liitokalas are prepped and in the cell holders ready to be welded. Hopefully before next weekend, but might not get to it as I'm taking the family to disneyland. Either way I hope to get some pack building experience very soon. I've been lagging on the videos, I'll get around to it all soon. Life is moving at 100 mph with 2 kids and working in SF. Cool shit to come.

I just put mine on a scale, it weighs 55kg/121 pounds with a 7.5kg/16.5 pound battery. (too small 72v/25ah) This is with a QS 205/Sabvoton, a DNM fork and all extra trays for battery and external controller removed.

shortcircuit911 said:
I regret being cheap with the forks up front. I knew they were cheap when I bought them, but I was on a budget so I got them. I'd like something better, because I really beat the bike and the forks are the only issue.

Hi shortcircuit911

I was about to order same DNM USD-8 front fork as urs. Now im confuse. What front fork would u recommend?

So it's been a while since I've posted an update as the bike has pretty much been sitting. Lately I've been watching some sur-ron videos (I want one so bad now) and got inspired to fix some of the issues I had with the bike. I started off with adding a light so I can go to these trails I just discovered by my house (pics below). These trails were pretty fun to rip this weekend, in total I put about 20 miles on my bike (15 of that trails). I had a go pro on the side of the bike getting footage but managed to drop my go pro and mess up the sd card, video to come on the trails.

The next problem I need to fix is the thermal issues with the controller. I have it stuffed inside the frame mounted to a heatsink. 1st step is to add a good fan to the heatsink and make the standoffs on the mounts longer to provide clearance. I'd really like to get a water cooling system set up for the controller, because the one one mobipus sells isn't exactly readily available. When I was coming back on the trials my controller was so hot I thought I was running out of battery because of how little power the bike had, but it was the controller protecting itself. I hope to get something implemented soon because those trails are really fun and it would be nice to be able to rip the entire time. When I got back home the side panel that the controller is mounted on was 100F and so was the outside of the motor.

The front suspension is really bad, but all I have for now, hope to upgrade soon. I softened it a bit to absorb more on the trails, but the rebound is really bad as it's not adjustable. I also want to get a proper front tire as I could use some more grip on those trails(and everywhere else). I want to order a* domino throttle and possibly rearranging some components to make it less top heavy.

I've also just though about fixing a few things and selling it for a sur ron, I really think those are cool bikes. Not my 1st choice, but not out of the question if someone makes me a good offer. Anyway, hopefully some improvements good riding footage soon.

Attachments

• 20191020_184556.jpg
    20191020_184556.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 3,252
  • 20191020_184547.jpg
    20191020_184547.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 3,251
  • 20191019_130351.jpg
    20191019_130351.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 3,252
  • 20191019_123753.jpg
    20191019_123753.jpg