E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Allex said:
You can set it to 100 if you like. Does not mean it will give all the amps.
The actual limit is in controller and it is around 60/65A

Last night I did an extensive search on the subject. Paul reported that his early model Bomber came set for 65 amp from the factory, but by 2012-13 people were reporting it being set for 60 amp. My 2013 model came set on 60 amp.

Since new my bike always had a slight hiccup in acceleration right in the middle of it's range, about 25mph, where it feels like it either momentarily hits a limiter, or like has a two stage acceleration curve. It's not the LVC, because voltage is way above that. Last night after setting it to 65 amp acceleration was seamless all the way from bottom to top. That was the main thing I noticed, the hiccup was gone.

The hiccup could be the CA limiter (60A) kicking in. When controller can give more than 60A while CA is set to 60 then CA will limit the current once it sense that values goes above. This is why you feel it. With this, riding experience is not pleasant in any way, therefore I always recommend setting it to a higher value.

I rode 40 miles today with the limiter set for 65 amp. It's like a different bike. No glitch in the acceleration anymore. It feels strong. I'm going to have to remember to take it easy on it this summer when it's over a 100 outside, because it really cooks now. I don't expect the top speed to be any different, but acceleration is super duper. :)

The added range from having 24ah compared to stock 18ah is getting in the ballpark. I could ride around my 40 mile fishbowl with both battery's, but now I can average a lot higher speed doing it. It's definitely a lot more fun like this.

Soon it'll be warm enough at night, I'll be trolling parts of town were I might get lucky, and find a Honda Ruckus, or Grom going down the street. 8)

Theodore Voltaire said:
This one's similar to mine, and that can run up to 90v

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vehemo-Headlamp-Motorcycle-Headlight-E-bike-12V-90V-LED-Moto-Headlight-Headlamp-Spot-Light-Waterproof-IP44/32897656166.html
It is often hard to tell the internal difference with all those equally looking lights but those look pretty much the same my friend and I bought over at e-bay. They were rated up to 80V but were only "glowing" a bit when attached to the 12S Lipo packs of my friend (roughly 50 Volts) but worked perfectly on my 10s 18650 battery pack (42 Volts). :roll:

Bottom line for me: Always be careful about maximum values of Chinese products. Be it Voltage, Amps or Watts. :mrgreen:

20190214-134010.jpg

Theodore Voltaire said:
What would your opinion be about me setting my max amp limit at 65 amp instead of the 60 amp stock setting?

Do you think this would be bad for my bike?

I should mention that I tried it out for a few miles and I liked it, but I set it back, because I don't really know what the controller is rated for.

My bikes CA has never worked when it comes to limiting the power...whatever I set it gives me full out put...
the BM will limit the current...my #200sh version of the bike tops out at about 70A
I was going to have it fixed, but just couldn't be bothered...

Seems to have worked for a few Kms(50k) with no issues..

DunkenKBliths said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
What would your opinion be about me setting my max amp limit at 65 amp instead of the 60 amp stock setting?

I should mention that I tried it out for a few miles and I liked it, but I set it back, because I don't really know what the controller is rated for.

My bikes CA has never worked when it comes to limiting the power...whatever I set it gives me full out put...
the BM will limit the current...my #200sh version of the bike tops out at about 70A

I'm seeing a bigger difference in the watts than amps. With the ca set for 60 amp I see continuous 4500w. Set for 65 amp it's about 4700w. Of course the peaks are higher. Amps didn't really change much, still around 68 both ways.

Theodore Voltaire said:
DunkenKBliths said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

I'm seeing a bigger difference in the watts than amps. With the ca set for 60 amp I see continuous 4500w. Set for 65 amp it's about 4700w. Of course the peaks are higher. Amps didn't really change much, still around 68 both ways.

Don't worry my peaks around 5000-5500 kw depending on how charged my bat is... lol !!!

I rode with my son on his B52 yesterday. We started out riding at a leisurely pace of around 20 mph, but after about 10 miles he started letting it rip. I was more Johnny on the spot this time with the throttle. This was the first time we gassed it since I reset the ca a couple weeks ago. 5 extra amps looks like it was about the difference between our bikes. Of course he's a cheater, because he always pedals hard. I tried to pass him without pedaling, but I couldn't do it, so I started pedaling as hard as I could, which then looked pretty equal, but not more than that. That's noticeably better than a couple years ago when my old battery was still good, and the ca set for 60 amps. I had to pedal as hard as I could then to see him slightly walk me. He also weighs about 30 lbs less than I do, but yeah I know blablabla. When I got home I saw 69.13 amps recorded. That's a new record which I expect will go even higher when the weather warms up more.

Lowered-side-by-side.jpg

Your Controller is now the bottleneck in the system, battery can prolly give you more amps but the controller will hardly demand more than those 70
Time for a new controller buddy?

Allex said:
Your Controller is now the bottleneck in the system, battery can prolly give you more amps but the controller will hardly demand more than those 70
Time for a new controller buddy?

If and when I ever need another controller I'm be contacting you for sure Allex.

Seems like it's very difficult, maybe impossible to out do a Bomber without creating an electric motorcycle by mistake. All the mid drive bikes with any real power sound like noisy pieces of whinny crap. Silence is the real cloaking devise. The fake Stealth copies that tried to out do Stealth with bigger battery boxes all look like they're fixing to give birth to a Vespa.

You will be very surprised how loud your bike actually was once you try out modern sine-wave controllers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1rDws9kywA
[youtube]y1rDws9kywA[/youtube]

Allex said:
You will be very surprised how loud your bike actually was once you try out modern sine-wave controllers.
Yup, with ya there Alex. Can't go back to square now, sounds like a steam engine compared to sine. :lol:

TBH, I'm surprised Stealth hasn't moved to a sinewave controller yet...get with the times Stealth, sheesh. :roll:

Cheers

Theodore Voltaire said:
Just ride a mid drive for a few minutes, and you'll never notice any controller noise from your Stealth again. :)

No shit. My SurRon and Alta make way more mechanical noise than any squarwave controller I had hooked up to a hub motor. But in all fairness, mid drives offer more advantages than the DD hub motor, except on the flat streets of Dallas/Fortworth Texas.

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Just ride a mid drive for a few minutes, and you'll never notice any controller noise from your Stealth again. :)

No shit. My SurRon and Alta make way more mechanical noise than any squarwave controller I had hooked up to a hub motor. But in all fairness, mid drives offer more advantages than the DD hub motor, except on the flat streets of Dallas/Fortworth Texas.

I've studied up on the Sur Ron a little bit, don't think I haven't. For what it is, I can't knock it. If I was interested in an electric motorcycle it would be high on my list, and I wouldn't care so much about how quiet it was. It's small, and light, that's what I like. It looks like it has a better, more dependable design, especially the primary, than most other mid drives, and it has a lot of power. It's faster then a Ruckus, and costs less than a Grom. Seems like a great bike for the money. It looks like a dirt bike, which isn't my style, but box kites like I'm riding now weren't really my style either lol :( 8) :lol:

Theodore Voltaire said:
Could you repeat that, a mid drive was riding by, and it drowned out what you were saying. :( :D

I do like those controllers though.

Now when you mention it:
Here is what I have been working on, when replacing the chain to a belt - you notice one important thing! See if you can hear that! All I can tell you that in real life, while driving on the road, the sound is really sexxy and not unpleasant in any way like you usually find on the mid drives using a chain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4yXvuMhXo
[youtube]Pz4yXvuMhXo[/youtube]

Yeah, belt drive would be a huge improvement over chain. I bought the first belt drive kit for my Sportster immediately when they first came out in 1989. It was before even the stock Sportster's had belts. Of course noise wasn't a consideration because it was firing twin cannons 6000 times a minute through Thunder Monster baffles. I still can't hear as well though my right ear. :(

While we are a little bit off topic I guess I can ask you TV.
What do you thing about this mini electric chopper?
21.jpg

https://www.dogebos.cn/product/2018-netherlands-warehouse-sc14-electric-motorcycle/

I've been looking for this little toy from a while and sounds like I found a moped registered version just yesterday from a guy here in Italy.

Back