"Edge" DD hubmotor, 1500W, 35mm, Al core

I ended up frying the phase wires on my edge motor pushing about 95amps for some long runs, got some good speed 50mph+, have never had the front wheel want to come off the ground like other people mention but maybe thats because its in a 26" rim, I put some new wiring on and installed hubsinks and tend to run around 60ish amps now and it runs pretty good, occasionally do peaks in the 90s but don't really need that many amps at the moment. Its a good little motor :)

If you overheated it and are doing 50-MPH, you need a smaller rear tire diameter. I'd recommend an 18-inch moped rim and tire. That would provide a cooler-running motor and slower top speed (without changing anything else).

Add a temp sensor and keep the heat at the hottest part in the motor below 200F / 93C, and 140F / 60C is ideal.

Moped rims and bicycle rims are measured differently. A 16-inch moto is equal to 20-inch bicycle, 19-inch moto roughly equal to 24-inch bicycle.

If you want 50-MPH and 90A, I suggest the QS 205/50H V3, but it is heavier...

Who has in stock and sells the edge motor
where can they be bought or have them made

spinningmagnets said:
Brent at West Coast Electric Cycles / WCEC has a MXUS version. Nobody would say what company was making the Edge 1500W, and now nobody carries them.
what a shame
me and another builder want 10 of them if we only knew where to get them
great little motor
Barent shows none in stock and no response from emails
so any factory guys out their you have customers if you want them
e5c8a7eed029be60827e95e9a85db8d1.jpg
be their or be square

spinningmagnets said:
You really should ask my permission before you use my picture in a post...
my deepest apologies
But knowing where to get the edge and not sharing that is
like finding a permanent fix for ED with out pills and not sharing that with all men
shameful

Hey guys,

Due to a loose screw on my disc brake, I've managed to yank out my phase/hall wires from my Edge motor. Anyone have tips for pulling apart the Edge motor so I can go in and try to repair the damage? I've taken out the screws, pulled apart the motor part of the way and now the edge of the magnets are holding tight. Is there a tool or am I missing a step to yank it the rest of the way apart? I'm hesitant to put my fingers in and get a good grip, as I've heard you can lose a few of em that way ;) Also tried placing the axle on the ground and pushing on rim to separate, but I can never get the entire ring of magnets to let go. I worry I'll start breaking spokes if I try much more.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Timbecile said:
Hey guys,

Due to a loose screw on my disc brake, I've managed to yank out my phase/hall wires from my Edge motor. Anyone have tips for pulling apart the Edge motor so I can go in and try to repair the damage? I've taken out the screws, pulled apart the motor part of the way and now the edge of the magnets are holding tight. Is there a tool or am I missing a step to yank it the rest of the way apart? I'm hesitant to put my fingers in and get a good grip, as I've heard you can lose a few of em that way ;) Also tried placing the axle on the ground and pushing on rim to separate, but I can never get the entire ring of magnets to let go. I worry I'll start breaking spokes if I try much more.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

have a look for a "motor puller / gear puller" on the internet, make sure you get the right diameter to suit motor
edit - found this https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HubMotorStatorRemoval.pdf

Timbecile said:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Tim just take the cover off on the rotor side and it will expose everything
you don't have to pull the stator to replace the phase wires
you don't need any special tools just take out the alan head screws take a little screw driver and break the seal
and the cover will come off
I have 3 edge motors and have upgraded the phase wires on all of them

epower-1 said:
spinningmagnets said:
You really should ask my permission before you use my picture in a post...
my deepest apologies
But knowing where to get the edge and not sharing that is
like finding a permanent fix for ED with out pills and not sharing that with all men
shameful

Google turns up this:
https://laebike.com/products/edge-1500w-rear-hub-motor

Anyone interested in Group Buy???
Who would want one or more Bare Hub motors at $200 (Tariffs included) + Domestic shipping?

If these are your improved edge with curved magnets and 13 gauge phase wires
I would like to try one with a 4t
I have three of the old edge motors and love them all of my builds are based on this motor
and the 18 fet controller
I would love to try your version
if it works out I would order more for sure

epower-1 said:
If these are your improved edge with curved magnets and 13 gauge phase wires
I would like to try one with a 4t
I have three of the old edge motors and love them all of my builds are based on this motor
and the 18 fet controller
I would love to try your version
if it works out I would order more for sure

I've been getting the V2 stator design, which uses the standard flat magnets. It does have the 0.35mm Laminations and cast aluminum stator, as well as the 2.5mm2 (~13AWG) phase wires and 10K NTC thermistor.

For controllers, I'm moving to the Grin phaserunners for these motors. They are a bit more expensive than what I have been stocking (The now long in the tooth Xie Chang Sine Wave KH6 controllers.) but I really like the Full FOC features of the phaserunner and the more compact size. And they are the perfect power match-up for the 35mm DD Hubs.

I would be interested in a group buy but why would I settle for an edge when your Mxus edge equivalent with the curved magnets and extra features is available. I bought a 45mm motor from you last year with these features and it has been great. I was going to buy a couple of 35mm motors from you last year but I try to limit my ridiculous ebike spending and I was thinking, hoping, something new might come out.

I have been wanting to try to build a 2wd so I would be interested in 2 6T 35mm motors with all of the features listed on your website. Different windings may be alright.

I don't need a kit. I already have 5 cycle analysts and a half dozen various controllers including a Phaserunner. I have 2 Bafang BBSXXs and 7 hub motors from a geared mini 700 watt Bafang to a 50mm Qsmotor so I am not afraid to spend a little money. If I am going to get 2 more 35mm motors I want the latest and the greatest which as far as I can see is your Mxus version of the edge. Unless there is someone hiding out there with a 35mm V3 hub motor.

teslanv said:
Who would want one or more Bare Hub motors at $200 (Tariffs included) + Domestic shipping?

Hi Barent:

I'm still interested in one 6t 35mm motor with the same specs you had on your last batch (or better specs). I can manage with just bare wires coming out of the motor as I'll install my own connectors.

mrbill said:
teslanv said:

Hi Barent:

I'm still interested in one 6t 35mm motor with the same specs you had on your last batch. I can manage with just bare wires coming out of the motor as I'll install my own connectors.
Hey Mr. Bill you inspired me to buy an Easy Racer and I should have it going in a couple of months. I am trying for a true stealth bike that will require close scrutiny to see that it is electric.

calfeetwenty said:
Hey Mr. Bill you inspired me to buy an Easy Racer and I should have it going in a couple of months. I am trying for a true stealth bike that will require close scrutiny to see that it is electric.

Hi calfeetwenty:

Glad to hear I inspired you.

Since I live in a hilly area I actually find the DD motor works better on balance than a mid-drive or geared hub. The issue isn't torque for climbing hills, which is the admitted weakness of the DD hubs, but using the motor as brake. My bikes have a combination of weight and aerodynamics that overheats bicycle brakes on long descents. With rim brakes the rims get hot enough to blow off the tires, and with disc brakes the pads get too hot and fade or vibrate so much that they fatigue cycle the wheel spokes and cause premature spoke failures. The regeneration brake is a godsend. But, you need a controller that can capture as much of the motor braking energy as possible. The Xie Chang's don't do so well recapturing the energy, but the ASI-based (e.g. Grin Phaserunner) controllers do (as well, I'm sure, many other modern designs).

calfeetwenty said:
I would be interested in a group buy but why would I settle for an edge when your Mxus edge equivalent with the curved magnets and extra features is available. I bought a 45mm motor from you last year with these features and it has been great. I was going to buy a couple of 35mm motors from you last year but I try to limit my ridiculous ebike spending and I was thinking, hoping, something new might come out.

I have been wanting to try to build a 2wd so I would be interested in 2 6T 35mm motors with all of the features listed on your website. Different windings may be alright.

I don't need a kit. I already have 5 cycle analysts and a half dozen various controllers including a Phaserunner. I have 2 Bafang BBSXXs and 7 hub motors from a geared mini 700 watt Bafang to a 50mm Qsmotor so I am not afraid to spend a little money. If I am going to get 2 more 35mm motors I want the latest and the greatest which as far as I can see is your Mxus version of the edge. Unless there is someone hiding out there with a 35mm V3 hub motor.

I am not aware of a MXUS branded 35mm DD Hub motor that utilizes a V2 or better stator design. I had to find another manufacturer to get the V2 stator in the 35mm width.
As far as I know the MXUS with the Cassette Freehub axle is only available in a 30mm Magnet width, not the 35mm, and I'm not sure what the stator body material is.
For the 35mm Motors, "The Edge" is a just a name that someone (Alan Hu???) gave a generic 35mm DD hub motor with the V2 stator design. I just call my motors "35mm DD hub" and rate them at 1500W continuous / 3000W Peak. They are great motors when ran within reasonable voltage and current limits. I've been sticking to 48V-60V on most of my builds the last year or so, and peak battery currents of about 60A on the 4T windings and 40A on the 6T windings. With temperature roll-back through the CA3, I never overheat them.
The main reasons I prefer the 35mm to the "3K Turbo" 45mm DD Hubs is less weight and a better fit in standard 135mm Drop-outs, especially when the customer wants a 7-speed freewheel on the back. And for most people, the 35mm hub's 3000W peak power is plenty, and can usually get them into the low 40 MPH speeds (4T with 60V Battery & 60A Controller). If someone wants a 50 MPH Bike or a cargo bike bad-ass enough to climb a mountain pass, then it's a 45mm DD Hub build, but that's rarely the case nowadays. The exception being for Fat Bike builds, which need the wider drop-out width, so it makes sense to install 45mm DD hub motors there, regardless of power needs.

teslanv said:
calfeetwenty said:

I am not aware of a MXUS branded 35mm DD Hub motor that utilizes a V2 or better stator design. I had to find another manufacturer to get the V2 stator in the 35mm width.
As far as I know the MXUS with the Cassette Freehub axle is only available in a 30mm Magnet width, not the 35mm, and I'm not sure what the stator body material is.
For the 35mm Motors, "The Edge" is a just a name that someone (Alan Hu???) gave a generic 35mm DD hub motor with the V2 stator design. I just call my motors "35mm DD hub" and rate them at 1500W continuous / 3000W Peak. They are great motors when ran within reasonable voltage and current limits. I've been sticking to 48V-60V on most of my builds the last year or so, and peak battery currents of about 60A on the 4T windings and 40A on the 6T windings. With temperature roll-back through the CA3, I never overheat them.
The main reasons I prefer the 35mm to the "3K Turbo" 45mm DD Hubs is less weight and a better fit in standard 135mm Drop-outs, especially when the customer wants a 7-speed freewheel on the back. And for most people, the 35mm hub's 3000W peak power is plenty, and can usually get them into the low 40 MPH speeds (4T with 60V Battery & 60A Controller). If someone wants a 50 MPH Bike or a cargo bike bad-ass enough to climb a mountain pass, then it's a 45mm DD Hub build, but that's rarely the case nowadays. The exception being for Fat Bike builds, which need the wider drop-out width, so it makes sense to install 45mm DD hub motors there, regardless of power needs.
this is what he is wanting
https://west-coast-electric-cycles.myshopify.com/products/1500w-35mm-direct-drive-hub-motor

this is what he is wanting
https://west-coast-electric-cycles.myshopify.com/products/1500w-35mm-direct-drive-hub-motor

Yeah. That's my website & motor. Let me check on the curved magnet's with the manufacturer again... Stay tuned.

N38 curved magnets are a go.
4T (11Kv) and 6T (8.5Kv) windings are my usual options. Anyone looking for a different winding than those?

Back