Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

Y do you keep changing the title of this thread ?
It would be much simpler to start a new thread for each topic or brain fart thought that springs into your head !
It would also alow anyone who was interested in any of those topics to find them easily, without having to do the ..”needle/Haystack”. Type search to track down relavent discussions. : :x

Chalo said:
Pritikin died in his 60s from one of the afflictions he said his diet would help prevent.

In my neighborhood, we just lost WWII veteran Richard Overton last year at age 112. He had milk and ice cream every day, smoked up to a dozen cigars a day, drank lots of coffee and plenty of whiskey. And he was healthy and active right up to the end. He liked things that made him happy, and I think that's probably as good a basis as any for a diet and lifestyle.

Anyway, it seems like those folks who claim they know the right way to eat, mostly don't live longer or better than anybody else.

You hope! <wink>

“Blue Zones” tends to fly in tha face of our occasional anecdotal long life of cream and nicotine.

Pritkin's low fat diet is pretty similar to the food pyramid of today.

I was reading a study from forsyth, et al in 2008 that studied people with hyperlipiedima on high fat diets ( low carb ) and low fat diets ( high carb ).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18046594

The people on low fat diets had higher levels of circulating triglycerides and also higher inflammation markers than the people who ate low carbohydrate diets.

So it was kind of funny that people with a predisposition for plaque buildup, fatty liver, and other symptoms of too much circulating fat and cholesterol... even they do better once their metabolism shifts into using fat as a primary fuel.

ps.. I started a blog about regenerative medicine and occasionally throw a diet related article in there.

Recently i saw that whole '1 in 5 peoples lives are shortened by diet' article making the rounds, and read the research paper the claims are based on. Apparently the entire research paper is basically garbage. You can read my analysis here if you are interested:

http://regenerativetimes.com/2019/0...kes-baseless-claims-and-the-media-eats-it-up/

Side note: i do not disagree with the idea that a bad diet is worse than smoking or that it leads to an early death in 1 of 5 people. Metabolic disorder probably leads to an early death in more than 1 in 5. It is the only part of the report that may have some truth to it.

tomjasz said:
Chalo said:
Anyway, it seems like those folks who claim they know the right way to eat, mostly don't live longer or better than anybody else.

You hope! <wink>

“Blue Zones” tends to fly in tha face of our occasional anecdotal long life of cream and nicotine.

Blue zones are just as likely or more so to result from genetics and/or external environmental factors as from diet. The fact that people who obsess on diet and do everything "right" seem to die at about the same age (and for mostly the same reasons) as folks who don't bother with it is to me an indication that the most important variables are not dietary.

Obsession with diet looks an awful lot like yet another mental pitfall for First World people who don't have meaningful work, vibrant community, or hard problems.

The more you eat the more free-radicals, the less you eat then less free radicals. The real answer is just eating less. But, once you reach 78, good luck.

:D :bolt:

Chalo said:
Obsession with diet looks an awful lot like yet another mental pitfall for First World people who don't have meaningful work, vibrant community, or hard problems.

Well, that and our entire food system is dysfunctional and we're lied to since birth about what should go into our mouth and what shouldn't, and eventually people start to notice their health falling apart in this environment if they succumb to it.

Just look at the recommended daily values on the back of any food label..
You're allowed a very limited amount of fat and cholesterol ( both substances help build all manner of hormones ). Carbs get a generous allotment. There is no limit on sugar. Sodium is highly restricted. Luckily, protein has no limit, but you are constantly told that eating meat will give you cancer. If you follow these labels, you are dearly mistaken about what constitutes a healthy diet.

Go to any grocery store.. 90% of what is for sale is absolute garbage.. food devoid of nutrients.. processed to hell.. a gazillion additives and preservatives.. chemicals whose names you cannot pronounce.. the human equivalent of dog food.. and you look at people's shopping carts and it's full of this frankenfood shit.. because they've been conditioned to not know any better by now.

tumblr_msf6g6Mx4R1s8zfcbo1_400.jpg

The quest to regain your health from SAD ( standard american diet ) can go a variety of ways. Everyone wants to pitch their idea. And when you are sick and desperate, you're likely to be suggestible. And most westerners do not understand basic human biology; neither do the doctors and government groups. And we also are not taught how, or encouraged to think critically.. so any wacky idea might sound good. Even extreme ones, like being an exclusive raw carnivore or eating a fruit only diet.

This little infographic about reddit diet groups says a lot.. ( notice that the least science based groups by this metric are some of the most popular. )

Attachments

• 2019-04-10 09_49_44-Nutrition subreddits and the amount of links to PubMed. Gz r_ketoscience! ...png
    2019-04-10 09_49_44-Nutrition subreddits and the amount of links to PubMed. Gz r_ketoscience! ...png
    143 KB · Views: 2,019
Hillhater said:
Y do you keep changing the title of this thread ?

It is about my quest to improve my health. I change the title so anyone can jump to the page with the most recent sub-topic.
I do the same thing with my AC/heat topic. I don't want multiple threads when it is all about the same topic;
eliminating untrustworthy HVAC repairmen. But i don't want the title of Heat, when i'm working on AC, .......
I'm not sure how the search looks up things? The old titles stay on the correct posts, so they should pop right up.
It is a good Q. I just want all the data to be in one thread.

Chalo
That is a great Q about why do people not live longer.
Similar to "Why do northerners that move to FL not live longer?"
or
why do those with pets live longer?
or
why do those married live longer?
Take Pritikin. On deaths door at 40. There is your answer right there.
now
look at those that live to 100+. They don't usually go to the ER. until 90 on average.
Answer may be in when you 1st really need a Dr. The 100+ report needing a Dr. at 90.
So if Pritikin needs a Dr at 40, how long can he expect to live?
How many children die soon after getting cancer? Why don't they live longer?
As long as you are in good health, don't need meds, don't need a Dr., you can get married, have pets, eat whatever you want, and live to 90+.
Myself, I needed a Dr BADLY at 62 and again at 65. This was a very bad sign that unless i do something way different i'm not going to live much longer. When I was 62 i was in so much pain, i was sure i'd be dead by 63. So, every day is a bonus, and i'm grateful that simple diet changes cured my chronic pains and extended my active life. 8) I was missing 1 item in my previous diet, and that was causing pain and inflammation. All the chronic pain is gone, even the back pain, which i read is the worst to get rid of, is gone. So with probem #2 at 65, hyper thyroid, i decided to continue with diet changes.
I consider my changes to be a fantastic success, but is it reasonable to expect me to live longer than the average male, 78?
Chalo here is a great video that explains what is happening very quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbXlzzp3guE

I know this flies in the face of some ideas here, but FOR ME I am best when 100% onboard with my refrigerator posted rules.

Attachments

• IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,992
tom
that looks real good; i recognize it as the weight loss heart disease plan.(dr ess.)
i did try no nuts, but got down to 118, so i find PB a good source of calories. i grind much of it myself.
Dr Ess. has some deathly ill patients; i hope you are not that bad!
I am 90% sure i dont have heart disease because the 3 main signs
1. chest pain
2. shortness of breath
3. impotence
i don't have any of those. But it was fun to try no nuts! :lol: Where do you get calories? corn chips? Seems PB would be better than chips? But, i'm not sure about this.
Thanks for posting 8)

Matt Gruber said:
tom
that looks real good; i recognize it as the weight loss heart disease plan.(dr ess.)
i did try no nuts, but got down to 118, so i find PB a good source of calories. i grind much of it myself.
Dr Ess. has some deathly ill patients; i hope you are not that bad!
I am 90% sure i dont have heart disease because the 3 main signs
1. chest pain
2. shortness of breath
3. impotence
i don't have any of those. But it was fun to try no nuts! :lol: Where do you get calories? corn chips? Seems PB would be better than chips? But, i'm not sure about this.
Thanks for posting 8)
I eat walnuts and peanut powder. But never a problem getting protein. My dysfunctional kidneys respond very well to the lack of animal protein. And low plant proteins. My favorite daily salad dressing is PB powder, Sambal Olek, rice vinegar, tamari, and a bit of Hoisin. Coming off of nearly a year of more than half the day flat out I need to tighten up the diet again. There's a pretty direct reaction by my kidneys to high salts and meat proteins. But having grown up around a Slavic and river culture I've eaten enough woods critters and fatty meats for several adult lifetimes. I now only eat what I can or would be willing to produce. I haven't the stomach to slaughter anything and choose not to put the job off on someone else. I can easily kill any tomato. I often wonder how many modern Americans would still be eating meat if they had to process and butcher. Hunting, skinning, and butchering are events I'm thrilled to have more than 50 years away from.

tom
here is a desperate diet that restored "failed" kidneys.
A Dr tried a simple sugar diet and the "failed" kidneys could handle the sugar, but not anything else. In a few months the kidneys recovered and could handle normal vegan food 8)
Does not apply to you, but it is good to know :)
P Powder? Do you buy that or make it yourself? :thumb:

Matt Gruber said:
tom
here is a desperate diet that restored "failed" kidneys.
A Dr tried a simple sugar diet and the "failed" kidneys could handle the sugar, but not anything else. In a few months the kidneys recovered and could handle normal vegan food 8)
Does not apply to you, but it is good to know :)
P Powder? Do you buy that or make it yourself? :thumb:

I buy the peanut powder. Good stuff. Oily foods get my guts all riled up and bloated. The powder gives me protein and less oil.

Sugar is a problem food for me. I get all I need or want from judicious choices of fresh fruit. Salt, animal fat, and processed carbs raise hell with my system.

here is a CR review of P Powder:
https://www.consumerreports.org/healthy-snacks/is-powdered-peanut-butter-good-for-you/
Myself, i eat peanuts/PB mainly because they are calorie dense, so i won't lose weight.
Can't find any cases of protein deficiency anywhere in the world, as long as the person is not losing weight and eating real food.(like veggies). Ever wonder what car salesmen do when they change jobs? They sell food :lol:
Protein is a sales tool to scare people. :roll: Readers, please list anyone that has been diagnosed by a Dr. with "protein deficiency" :lol: There is no such condition :roll: Just a SCAM. Body builders need lots of food to grow muscles, BUT do they need to add a protein shake to normal food? Not if they are eating enough normal food. Normal vegan food has plenty of protein, meats add excess protein that the liver has to get rid of. Again, if you know a body builder that has been diagnosed by a Dr. with PD, please post link, as there will be articles as this is big news.
a person with kidney failure that can't tolerate table sugar could try eating just fruit. What have they got to lose? They will soon be dead anyway, without a kidney transplant :eek:
saw a video of a young Dr. that came down with Graves disease, same as me. the 1st pill gave her liver failure, and her Dr. took her off the pill for 30 days, and her liver recovered, and she tried pill #2 (same as me) and with a vegan diet she recovered and got off that pill 8 mos later.
another case, wife came home and found husband on the floor :shock: she calls Dr and he says "keep taking the pill, he will get used to it" WHAT IDIOTS :shock: He died a few days later.
when i was a kid, my dad would buy suet and hang it from a tree in the winter in NJ, and birds would eat it and live thru the winter. Suit is a slab of cow fat. some low carb fans actually eat this :mrgreen: Anytime you hear the words "low carb" always ask for common examples! cake and soda are low carb, and popular. if that is what they mean, to avoid cake and soda then give them a :thumb:

Skip to 29:29 for the video: Paleo vs. Plants - Funny, don't miss it :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KeX1UjV2Uc
I'm into plants for the long term health benefits, and i've never been overweight for 1 simple reason:
i've always wanted to fit into my bell bottom jeans from college (1972) i just would skip a meal any time they got tight. They are worn so thin i rarely wear them :(
With plants, i can eat an extra meal anytime i want, and not worry about getting fat! :bigthumb:
there is no money in cures. over the decades i've had several Dr's express disappointment that i was not seriously ill. At 1st, i thought they were making a joke, but, i've come to realize that they just wanted repeat business so they could make money. :( For example with hyper thyroid there are 2 ways to use drugs. they wanted me to come back every month and do tests to figure out the dose. They didn't even tell me about method #2 called titration. This has way less side effects than #1. BUT How are they going to make piles of $$$$? They need side effects for income. With method #2 i set the dose myself, and since the dose gets smaller and smaller, there usually are no side effects. BAD for DR's income, however. (i've not gone back in a year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dj-Wmmt0FE
For example, people that get diarrhea need to go on an elimination diet to find out exactly which food causes a problem. Could be flour (gluten or something else in flour). In my case it was dairy products, but i could tolerate a little so it was confusing at first. Could be anything. But not "carbs", that is too broad a term to have any meaning. Just a scam. Any real diet tells you what to eat, as, with 100,000 items in a grocery store, you need to know what to buy. like buy food in the produce department. easy to do! But not every food is for everybody so i have learned to eliminate radishes, kale, and cantalopes, for example. Also being sensitive to a food may not be permanent. I could not eat tomatoes for years (caused my lips to swell), but i ate 2 in 1 day and no problem. So check back now and then with any suspicious food. My comments are to be added to the video, ....Dr Greger sums it up, the science is in, and those fad diets cause an early death in too many cases. The biggest scam in history is the lie that dairy and meat are good to eat. All lies to make money. Healthcare is now 18% of the US economy. the average the lifespan has declined 2 years in a row. Bad food. SAD= Standard American Diet, of which low carb is just a slight variation keeping terrible meat and dairy that causes heart disease, diabetes and an early death.

This is a very interesting video- (i knew nothing about the rice diet, and how successful it is)(he uses rice and pineapple to reverse t2 diabetes, high carbs, the opposite of what others say)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekB5HptR4oc
:bigthumb:
A lot of sage advice, not just about rice 8) He convinced me not to worry about being too thin, so for a snack i had a 7 oz cucumber and a 5oz tomato w/ a pinch of salt. Was delicious and cost a total of 30 cents :lol:
And he was kind enough to say that the Atkins diet works! And why it works! 8)
;
Kempner rice diet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQb5Fe6hZXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibAMjVGK4g&list=PL5TLzNi5fYd-ROM7UHOLrcuekOyOcGZPR&index=12
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toHVZ5W_CDA
and the origin of the protein myth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NW32vLq340
quick summary of the obvious
while your muscles contain lots of protein, eating protein does not give you big muscles.
and taking calcium pills or milk, do not give you strong bones :(
both of those require vigorous exercise 8)

Again, I'll point out that the man died prematurely from cancer.

Chalo said:
i assume you refer to pritikin on page 10. topic has moved on to other experts. I see you catch on slowly, so i'll reply about pritikin. You made my point about excess protein causing cancer! Thank you!
he ate a crappy diet for 40 years. A pint of ice cream every day as an adult, for example. Lots of steaks. Too much protein, which causes cancer :eek:
imagine if he was breast fed, then ate good food all his life. His immune system would likely catch any cancer.
Here is the long and fascinating pritikin story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT8K6NcAigo
My diet changes have already extended my life by 3 years :shock: I'm sure when i die, you will say that i died anyway, despite my changes :roll: (pritikin lived another 29 years, which is fantastic)
I feel much better now, so with any luck, i'll make 85-90. But if i don't, i still got 3 more years, and got to try out my window ac's as a central system 8)

Chalo said:

And what makes it dietary? Lots of chances for cancer causing agents unrelated to food.

tomjasz said:
Chalo said:

And what makes it dietary? Lots of chances for cancer causing agents unrelated to food.

That's true. Cancer is one of those things that gets you for various reasons including "nothing else got you yet".

Statistically though, folks who waste lots of their living hours trying to live longer don't seem to get a good return on their investment. Not actively poisoning or mistreating yourself seems to be the low hanging fruit of longevity. Most of the rest is dumb luck.

As you all know, I've changed my diet to be more healthy. The #1 benefit is to increase my range on my regular bike. I want to keep increasing my range, But, i'm not willing to cut my life short by a low-carb diet or by using drugs. Since many complain about getting tired, i think this sub-topic might be of interest. Will keep you posted. Being 66, i'm not expecting too much, but we will see, and it is fun to have a new goal that is a totally different approach,( old way was to increase range by adding more amp hours)
I've been inspired by Nathan Pritikin and his lecture series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT8K6NcAigo
It is easy, simple, and cheap to eat old school healthy. Numerous ways to do it. Here is my breakfast as an example:
oatmeal, 2t flax meal, salt. 1t peanut butter with 2nd bowl.
small amount of fruit.
LUNCH:
Sweet potato, white potato, green beans, asparagus, onion, 1oz PB, salt.
SNACK: salad, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 tomato, banana, 1t PB, salt. SNACK#2- corn chips.
DINNER:
Black beans, lintels, kidney beans, cabbage, corn, mushrooms, onion, tom paste, raw garlic powder(added before serving), stew seasoning mix, salt. Cooked 2-3 hours, make enough for 4 days.

last thursday and today, range up 60%. i like going out on trash day; today i got 4 switching PS, 3 cables, and a Razor kick scooter. pulse was 137, and still 97 a half hour later, so i took a pill. BUT only the 3rd pill in 10 days, so my thyroid appears to be slowly healing. Resting pulse yesterday was 55-62, without any ill effects. Pill often makes me feel tired, no surprise as it is a type of poison, in low dose.
I'm also doing some mild weight exercise, so i plan to stay at this level to give my body a chance to adjust.
5-6-19 update
range up 106% today!
pulse 127.
When i started my quest to eat healthy, bike range was not even on my list :shock:
5-30-19 update: Big increase in range, over 200% :shock: AND i can ride 5-7 days a week; Before, only could ride twice a week for years :roll: I never knew food could make such a difference! 8)
Figured out what is going on. Why my range has doubled. Last year the main clue was that my fasting glucose was 115. normal is 80-99, and 125+ is T2 diabetes. 100-124 is called pre-diabetes. My muscle cells developed insulin resistance. Why? Too much oil/fat in my diet. I was adding olive oil or canola oil to my food and eating dairy. I was duped into thinking they are healthy. Nothing could be further from the truth! My muscle cells became clogged with lipids(fat), and could not burn the fat. why, i don't know. there was little room for glucose (fuel it could burn). So i quickly got tired. Now, with a better diet, with lots of starch(carbs) and no dairy or added oils, the excess fat is clearing out of my cells, leaving lots of room for glucose(fuel from carbs).
Here is a great explanation by Nathan Pritikin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHHDmuyPv4

Back