New batt for TSDZ2 /cold climate/BMS compatibility questions

Hello,
I need to buy a new battery for my ebike with a TSDZ2, 36V, 350W. I plan to purchase from www.greenbikekit.com and they give alot customization options.

Ive choosen this one:
https://www.greenbikekit.com/36v-new-hailong-dolphin-frame-battery-with-5v-usb-charging-output.html

I can choose which BMS they put in the battery.
I know that it will be enough with 20A BMS (since maximum amp on the TSDZ2 is 18A) but my question is if it will damage the motor if I choose a BMS with 25A or 30A instead?
I figure since the TSDZ2 can limit the amp through the menus of the display, then the BMS on the battery can have a very high amp without it hurting the motor. Am I thinking correctly here?

The reason I want to have a 25A BMS instead is in case I upgrade the motor later to a 500w motor instead.

A higher **capacity** BMS is a good thing for longevity.

Ideally its overcurrent **protection** amps setpoint could be adjusted to suit.

A BMS is not sized for a motor or controller. Orbecause a user wants it to be a certain capability.

A BMS is sized for the cells in the battery the BMS is there to manage and protect, so they are not stressed.

If the sellers are allowing bigger BMSs on batteries that are not designed for it, not made of cells that can easily handle that without heating, voltage drop, etc., then they're selling problems waiting to happen, just so they can make more money later when the user kills the battery at the too-high rate.

So if you want a higher current BMS, you also have to have a higher current *battery*, which unless they use better cells in the higher current battery (which will reduce it's capacity), then the battery has to be larger (more parallel cells) to handle the higher current the BMS would allow.

A higher current BMS is cheap, or exactly the same cost, compared to a lower current one. Most of them are exactly the same, just with either a different sized shunt, or different resistor divider on the shunt amp, or a different software setting.

But a higher current *battery* is more expensive, becuase it needs better cells or more of them, or both.

Hi and thanks for the answers,

I can choose from either [36V 20,1AH by INR18650-35E(10S6P)] or [36V 17,4AH by NCR18650PF(10S6P)]

And the BMS I can choose between 20A, 35A or 30A.

Will both of these battery packs work with either of the BMS´s that I can chose?

...Also, would you recomend a 2,5A or 4A charger (42V) ?

Please if you have a moment, I would appreciate if you can take a quick look at the webshop on this specific batterypack to see what option for the BMS and charger you would choose. I need either the 20,1AH or 17,4AH version.

https://www.greenbikekit.com/36v-new-hailong-dolphin-frame-battery-with-5v-usb-charging-output.html

Where do you live do you have flats Hills how much do you weigh can you pedal first or do you believe that you have a moped we just pulled out and throttle. Text to talk but it looks pretty good. Good luck the most important part of electricbike is the battery and how we abused it.

999zip999 said:
Where do you live do you have flats Hills how much do you weigh can you pedal first or do you believe that you have a moped we just pulled out and throttle. Text to talk but it looks pretty good. Good luck the most important part of electricbike is the battery and how we abused it.

I have some hills where i live, but mostly flat. I use the pedals, have no throttle.
Can you make some recommendation according to the information in my previous message?

Hello,

I need to buy a new battery pack and need help with my choice of the correct BMS.

Option 1:
20.1AH, 36Volt, Samsung INR18650-35E - Will this battery pack be OK with BMS discharge limit 25A or even 30A?

Option2:
17,4AH, 36Volt, Panasonic NRC18650PF - Will this battery pack be OK with BMS discharge limit 25A or even 30A?

Which of the options above would you recommend, and what BMS discharge rate?

Thanks guys for your help!

Hi,

Which one of these would you recommend for usage in a cold climate, down to -10 celcius (14 Fahrenheit).
Samsung INR18650-35E or Panasonic NRC18650PF.

Also interested to hear general opinion on which of these are the best for long livety and usage with a 500-750W motor.

Thanks for the help :)

I just recently purchased some cells that are rated down to -40 C during discharge. They want you to charge it in warmer temps of -10 C

They are High Energy cells, so you don't want to pull more than 2C. For motor that may draw 750W continuously, you'd want at least a 375 Wh pack. Which is about an average size for commercially produced packs. These cells are just over 16 Wh's per piece, so, you'd want a pack with 24 or so cells at least. A 12S 2P pack means 8.8 Ah at 44.4 V (nominal).

http://liionbms.com/pdf/bostonpower/swing4400.pdf

A guy on here going by user: Headrc (Richard) sold me the cells. (Actually to be delivered today :D )

Thanks,
Unfortunately I cant find time to learn to build my own pack so I now look for a ready made pack that will at least work OK and not too expensive.

Usage is not such a big deal.

Charging spec is critical, may want a pack you can just bring indoors.

Hi

Cant coment on the other batteries but im looking at building a pack from Samsung 35e cells. They do look good.

Another member on here told me that unless you charge them at 1amp your recharging cycles will take a big hit. Can charge at 2 amps but very bad for the life of the cells.
Hope that helps a little.

Back