Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Allex said:
Duncan75 said:
fechter said:
Auto regen takes some getting used to. It's just like the Tesla. I would prefer it to only engage when you pull the brakes so you can still coast.

I'd also love to have something like that, or maybe reverse throttle twist for regen.

Ok, so if anyone knows who I should contact, preferably in the EU, to buy an X controller (with regen braking), please let me know. Otherwise I'll just go emailing shops, hoping someone has them in stock and is not asking an arm and a leg.

Will have them in June.

as people are alluding, I'm wondering what sort of range predictions for the upgraded system ERT4000 and upgraded 72v ERT battery?? I'm assuming tiff tiff? more power draw but better more efficient controller will balance things out....

Took the bike out for a nice warm day yesterday.

The motor does get hot, not burning hot and this was only in the 70F temp range. I worry that with 90F temp range and a more powerful controller, using overdrive, pushing the bike hard, the motor will start to overheat with the very little air flow it has. I find there is a big difference between a 70F day and a 95F day with motor temps on my hub motor bike.

I think we may need to install temp probes on the motor and figure out the best place to put it to be safe because I can easily see the tiny motor overheating. Maybe it will also be a good idea to drill out the bash guard to get more air flow to the motor heat sink.

I am not liking the brakes on the Sur-Ron. They easily stop the bike, but the issue is my fingers start hurting and I have to really squeeze the brakes hard to get good stopping power. I find myself using all 4 of my fingers to stop the bike to make it easier on my fingers after riding for a while. I didn't have this issue with my Saints, they seemed to stop my other bike with little force and it also seemed easier to cover the brakes.

The stock brake pads are disastrous, mine also squealed unbearably. I've changed them to some brand name ones and now it stops much faster with less finger pressure and no squealing.

I'm going to try replacing them, since I believe they use shimano zee pads for which I bought many spares.

I heard people in the biking community like using metallic on one side of the caliper and non metallic on the other side for best braking.

I think I managed to overheat it today, it seemed like it auto-switched to eco-mode for some time and then after cooling down went back to sport-mode on itself.
The air was only 15°C (59°F), but I was trying to climb a longer, very steep hill full of large rocks and soft soil mixed with leaves, so I was basically repeating steep uphill starts from standstill. The motor casing got quite hot, but I could still touch it with a finger.

In hindsight, it was a stupid thing to do and I won't repeat it. But it's still good to know that it can take a real beating.

AFAIK the Zee pads should fit. I might also try to sand the discs to get a smoother surface, it looks way rougher than the stock Shimano disc on my other bike, this can't be good for either braking perfomance, or the pads.

Duncan75 said:
The air was only 15°C (59°F), but I was trying to climb a longer, very steep hill full of large rocks and soft soil mixed with leaves, so I was basically repeating steep uphill starts from standstill. The motor casing got quite hot, but I could still touch it with a finger.

At low speed like you describe, adding vent holes alone to the mudguard wouldn't do much. But adding a computer fan and holes on the mudguard would help keep the motor cool a great deal. There is plenty of room for a computer fan - even on both sides of the motor.

To cool the motor at high speeds (for hot-rodded bikes) - a scoop combined with holes in the mudguard would add a lot of cooling power.

Holes seem to help.

And new brake pads are wonderful. I torture tested them on a serious downhill street today. It made the disk turn a little purple but still able to stop nicely at the bottom of the hill. With the stock pads, I was dragging my feet to slow down.

Duncan75 said:
I think I managed to overheat it today, it seemed like it auto-switched to eco-mode for some time and then after cooling down went back to sport-mode on itself.

In hindsight, it was a stupid thing to do and I won't repeat it. But it's still good to know that it can take a real beating.

AFAIK the Zee pads should fit. I might also try to sand the discs to get a smoother surface, it looks way rougher than the stock Shimano disc on my other bike, this can't be good for either braking perfomance, or the pads.

Does the motor have a temp sensor on it? I didn't think it did.

I wonder if you overheated the controller, something doesn't make sense.

If it overheats with the stock controller, when people start modding this and using overdrive which really over heats the motor, lots of people are going to be burning up their motors because nobody seems to care about adding temp sensor to the motor.

Hi, guys.I'm from China.I learned about this BBS last month.I'll share some interesting things about surron with you, and I'll also use translation software to communicate with you :D

Share with you

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_160614.jpg
    IMG_20180108_160614.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,916
  • IMG_20180108_162912.jpg
    IMG_20180108_162912.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,916
  • 20180906_084456.jpg
    20180906_084456.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,791
  • 20180906_084512.jpg
    20180906_084512.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,791
  • 20180906_084322.jpg
    20180906_084322.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,791
  • mmexport1515214818481.jpg
    mmexport1515214818481.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,636
Offroader said:
Took the bike out for a nice warm day yesterday.

The motor does get hot, not burning hot and this was only in the 70F temp range. I worry that with 90F temp range and a more powerful controller, using overdrive, pushing the bike hard, the motor will start to overheat with the very little air flow it has. I find there is a big difference between a 70F day and a 95F day with motor temps on my hub motor bike.

I think we may need to install temp probes on the motor and figure out the best place to put it to be safe because I can easily see the tiny motor overheating. Maybe it will also be a good idea to drill out the bash guard to get more air flow to the motor heat sink.
I live in Hawaii and climb very steep, long hills in 90°+. With a stock motor/controller/battery I've had no signs of overheating. If you modify it for more power you'll have to be careful how you use it. The safer alternative is to down gear it for more power at the wheel without more heat at the motor.

wuhaichao443 said:
Hi, guys.I'm from China.I learned about this BBS last month.I'll share some interesting things about surron with you, and I'll also use translation software to communicate with you :D

Welcome to the club wuhaichao!

Im loving the aftermarket support building for Sur Rons! So many beautiful high performance Sur Rons! I love it!

fechter said:
Holes seem to help.

And new brake pads are wonderful. I torture tested them on a serious downhill street today. It made the disk turn a little purple but still able to stop nicely at the bottom of the hill. With the stock pads, I was dragging my feet to slow down.

Img_1164A.jpg

Well done, I think that if it is often riding on paved roads, make some holes on the motor protector should have a positive effect on the heat dissipation of the motor. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYWUoyeJt0
$240 Suspension Fork from Luna Cycle
In the comments, out of 14 comments
6 months ago
How has it held up?
4 months ago
Bad, locks up with temps below 34deg F. Sold it. Started getting stiction around 50 miles

Also looks like you cant get parts for the Luna mystery fork. Also in the comments.

I will probably end up paying someone to widen my current cushy fork with TIG welding, because I also have to get them to widen the back half, converting Townie 21D to 26x4.0 :) Also a new paint job, less flashy, painting it black. Maybe there are some bicycle frame builders around, ya just never know.

smr310 said:
Any recommendation for which forks to get from Luna?

I think I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one of these in the near future. I was looking at Luna Cycles site and it looks like they are offering two different fork options for the Surron X:

"New DNM Volcano DNM USD-8S Spring Fork (except orange colored bike which has a RST)"

Any recommendations for which one to go with? Also -- I'm a motorcycle rider and will be riding the Sur Ron in tight technical single track.

Any idea why a Sur Ron won't turn on? I went to show my bike to a friend just now. Bike was just sitting in my garage and has been out for a total of 1 real ride. Turned on the key and the headlight turned on just like usual. Sat on the bike and went to twist the throttle a touch and nothing happened - no motion. Tried a couple more times and nothing. Then the headlight faded out and now it doesn't come on at all. The battery shows 98% charge when you push the battery display button. I checked the main breaker switch and that is on. Checked the fuse in the little white box and that is fine. Plug in the battery while in the bike and nothing happens on the charger. Pull off the battery and plug it in while not on the bike and the charger fan fires up and appears to be working fine. Am I missing something dumb?

Pogo said:
Stand down?

Stand up or down same thing - turn on key and no headlight, no main display (the one on the handlebars), and no throttle response. Only thing that comes on is the display on the battery itself when I push the battery button.

Wonder if it could be one of the auto cut off's playing up ie handbreak senders too tight or the position sensor that cuts off when it's been dropped. Assume you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, and the main switch in front of the battery is on.... Otherwise I'm out of ideas...

aspencreek said:
Any idea why a Sur Ron won't turn on? I went to show my bike to a friend just now. Bike was just sitting in my garage and has been out for a total of 1 real ride. Turned on the key and the headlight turned on just like usual. Sat on the bike and went to twist the throttle a touch and nothing happened - no motion. Tried a couple more times and nothing. Then the headlight faded out and now it doesn't come on at all. The battery shows 98% charge when you push the battery display button. I checked the main breaker switch and that is on. Checked the fuse in the little white box and that is fine. Plug in the battery while in the bike and nothing happens on the charger. Pull off the battery and plug it in while not on the bike and the charger fan fires up and appears to be working fine. Am I missing something dumb?

If the whole vehicle can be powered up normally only if the throttle fails to respond, please check: there are three power off switches on the foot brace and the brake respectively

Who is selling the sur Ron with upgraded electronics and new battery?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aspencreek said:

not sure if you read this yet..
Sur-Ron troubleshooting :
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/surron/71550-sur-ron-troubleshooting

fullofdays said:
Who is selling the sur Ron with upgraded electronics and new battery?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

depends on your location.. those options are currently only available aftermarket.. check with your local Sur-Ron dealer , aebikes au , electric race technology, and others are or will be offering upgrade kits..

aspencreek said:
Plug in the battery while in the bike and nothing happens on the charger. Pull off the battery and plug it in while not on the bike and the charger fan fires up and appears to be working fine. Am I missing something dumb?

So, it will charge when the battery is not on the bike, but won't charge when the battery is on the bike? If that is what you are saying, that is quite perplexing since the battery has no way of "knowing" if it's on the bike or not (unless the power harness is connected to the battery of course)

Pogo said:
Wonder if it could be one of the auto cut off's playing up ie handbreak senders too tight or the position sensor that cuts off when it's been dropped. Assume you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, and the main switch in front of the battery is on.... Otherwise I'm out of ideas...

That was the only thing that prevented my bike from running once (besides the kickstand being down, or laying the bike on its side). The wire going to the brake lever was loose. Pulled it right out and the bike ran again. Now I don't have either break connected since I switched to Saint breaks.

Here's a quick video of what's going on. Sorry for the dimly lit garage. Battery fully charged but nothing happens when I turn on the key - no display, no lights, no throttle. The power did come on earlier, then just suddenly died and no I get nothing.

[youtube]lPf52kT-dZM[/youtube]

Back