Leaf / leafmotor / leafbike high efficiency 1500w motor

I think this is a mxus 1500watt ripoff design. While a inferior motor than leaf not paying the fuckign shipping charge for mxus or leaf.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PASION-E-BIKE-48V-1500W-Hub-Motor-Electric-Bicycle-Brushless-Non-gear-Rear-Motor/32814323134.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.16.ad8b58fbeqvXn7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_10130_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_453_10084_454_10083_433_10618_431_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_100031_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_6,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=52372793-73b0-4011-8369-7877ea3bb19b-2&algo_pvid=52372793-73b0-4011-8369-7877ea3bb19b&transAbTest=ae803_3

Gonna either build this to a mtx 31 or 39 rim. Probably gonna also buy a trueing stand and start building my own wheels. its 60 bucks at the bike shop to build a wheel. Mtx 31 should do fine, my bikes ryhnolite is only damaged witha few small cracks due to spoke failure and lack of maintenance. I ran without 2 spokes for a few days because I couldn't get sapim strong single butted spokes anyhwere locally.

I'm back to trying to convince leafbike to produce a 0.27mm or 0.2mm lamination version of this motor..
Offered $500 for a single motor to cover any R&D costs they may incur.

Fingers crossed.

neptronix said:
I'm back to trying to convince leafbike to produce a 0.27mm or 0.2mm lamination version of this motor..

Fingers crossed.
Ask them to make a 45mm wide version too while your at it. That would really rival the MXUS 3K. :)

Cheers

neptronix said:

Fingers crossed.

Great that you stay in touch with them :thumb:

What i noticed is that manufacturers, when they make use of thinner laminations, they were always increasing the iron mass (the ID of the stator decreased).
I guess they do this beacuse working with such thin steel sheets can be a pita (to not bend and break them) so they just add otherwise useless steel to make them stiffer.
I think i do not need to mention that this would make the motor heavier. It was the case when they changed the lams on cromotor from 0,5 to 0,35mm and it also was the case on MXUS 3K (both V2 or V3 versions are noticeable heavier).

Thats why i like the LEAF motor so much because they did not increase the amount of iron on the 0,35mm versions and i would prefer it always over an "EDGE" motor for this reason.
It would be great if they could keep the same design if they follow your advice.

Another advice to them would be to use curved magnets, and the option for a 56Pole true torque version (for larger wheels).

Has anyone successfully used an 8 or 9 speed freewheel with the 1500W Leafbike motor or is 7 speeds the most that can clear the dropouts with this motor installed?

The reason I ask is due to the following variables:

-No one makes quality 7 speed freewheels with an 11T small cog anymore. DNP makes a low quality 7 speed freewheel with an 11T cog, but I just twisted the first/largest three gears of my DNP Epoch 32-11T freewheel yesterday from my currently motorless setup using large amounts of leg power going up a hill, at about 6,000 miles of use
-I've visited many of the websites that used to sell the DNP Epoch in the 7 speed freewheel configurations with an 11T small cog, and these sites are now listing it as discontinued or out of stock, and it is no longer listed in catalogues
-The rear frame/seatpost mounting bolt on my KMX trike poses a clearance issue with the chain on any top gear cog larger than 11T. 13T or 14T will not work. I am currently using a freewheel with a 13T small cog as a temporary replacement for the DNP Epoch 32-11T that bent yesterday and had to lock 7th gear out to keep the chain from getting caught on the seatpost bolt
-I don't want to use a single speed in the rear. I want this bike to be able to have a wide speed range when operated purely under human power, even after I install a Leafbike motor
-I do not trust cassettes in this application from a reliability standpoint.
-I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars on ebay for an ancient but quality Shimano 7-speed freewheel with an 11T small ring, because they're near impossible to find now

If I can't find a decent solution, then I may just have to settle for less peak power for my build and go with a MAC geared hub, which can fit up to at least a 9 speed freewheel.

I was planning to start off with 4 kW peak on a Leafbike motor, and later modify it for more power... but having usable human power for the vehicle's entire speed range with the motor on is important to my design, as well as being able to operate the bike without electric assist in the event the battery gets drained or any other number of scenarios.

This all said, if I ever get the cash to upgrade to a rear suspension(assuming the currently tested prototypes from adam333 show themselves as viable for human power application), this becomes less of an issue because the clearance problem with the seat post bolt and the chain goes away.

neptronix said:
goosenoose said:
just bought the 20" leafbike rear 1500w conversion kit in 4t and a 50v 20ah em3ev rectangular battery (pf cells) for install on a 8 speed full-suspension downtube folding bike

Yikes, i had one of those bikes for a moment and couldn't stand how rickety it felt even at pedal speeds. I still have a brand new eZee 20" motor wheel and aimed to do a 30mph build on it, but i abandoned that frame and am still looking for something that can take 20" wheels

(really late reply... i know.. )

the downtube folder worked pretty well for the last 7 months commuting. also had a bit of paranoia that the folding mechanism and perhaps steering stem might fail at speed, but the suspension really helped soften any sudden jolts from the road/etc.

that said, i did move to a bike friday hauladay platform. can't recommend the customer service (like, at all... it was like talking to a car dealer) but the bicycle is working out well.

properly spaced dropouts (spaced them myself/<3 steel), disc brakes, fenders, hauling capability/capacity, low center of gravity racks, nifty swept back handlebar, and compatibility with the 20" kit I already had. lose out on folding capability (which has helped a handful of times honestly).. but 3 of those times was because of some sort of issue with controller/connections because of road gunk.

Question on this actually... Started to notice motor isn't hitting my 30 mph ceiling as easy as before. Is this the battery/ controller/ motor going bad?

I have the stock conversion kit from leaf

goosenoose said:
Question on this actually... Started to notice motor isn't hitting my 30 mph ceiling as easy as before. Is this the battery/ controller/ motor going bad?

If you have been using your battery at or near its maximum capacity, or you've had your battery for a while, it has probably deteriorated a bit. Motors and controllers don't really fall off in their power output-- they either work normally or they have a significant problem.

The Toecutter said:
Has anyone successfully used an 8 or 9 speed freewheel with the 1500W Leafbike motor or is 7 speeds the most that can clear the dropouts with this motor installed?

I was just able to fit the Leaf 1500W motor and a 9 speed freewheel in the back of my HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS26. I had to spread the frame by hand to fit it in and used a number of spacers. I'm a little nervous about how much I had to spread the frame but it was only by hand. Fingers crossed. I switched from a MXUS 3005 motor with a 9 speed cassette. A big step back on the drivetrain but a big step forward for the motor. The freewheel is noisy and the highest ring is only 32T rather than the 40T I had earlier. Leaf makes the 1500W with a cassette option but another user strongly recommended against it due to a thinner axle. Not sure if I made the right decision but if you do get one, you can probably fit a 9 speed freewheel. If I had to do it again, I might have gone with the cassette version and take my chances on the axle.

smokeywho said:
I was just able to fit the Leaf 1500W motor and a 9 speed freewheel in the back of my HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS26. I had to spread the frame by hand to fit it in and used a number of spacers. I'm a little nervous about how much I had to spread the frame but it was only by hand. Fingers crossed. I switched from a MXUS 3005 motor with a 9 speed cassette. A big step back on the drivetrain but a big step forward for the motor. The freewheel is noisy and the highest ring is only 32T rather than the 40T I had earlier. Leaf makes the 1500W with a cassette option but another user strongly recommended against it due to a thinner axle. Not sure if I made the right decision but if you do get one, you can probably fit a 9 speed freewheel. If I had to do it again, I might have gone with the cassette version and take my chances on the axle.

Thanks. Looks like a 9 speed freewheel may be my best option, if I can get it to fit in my drop outs. Bending a KMX frame by hand probably wouldn't be an easy task, if it's even viable. If not, then 2nd choice would be an 8-speed cassette, but then that would require a whole new motor made to fit the 8 speed cassette.

On the Norco Cityglide I have, which originally had a IGH, the rear dropout was narrower then usual, I only have one gear freewheel on, no chain for the longest time. Lots of flats, and I have to bend the rear dropouts like 10mm.

The Toecutter said:
smokeywho said:

Thanks. Looks like a 9 speed freewheel may be my best option, if I can get it to fit in my drop outs. Bending a KMX frame by hand probably wouldn't be an easy task, if it's even viable. If not, then 2nd choice would be an 8-speed cassette, but then that would require a whole new motor made to fit the 8 speed cassette.

Grin has a 30mm motor that takes a cassette. I have one going into a hp Velotechnik. An auto scissor jack opened up my KMX.

goosenoose said:

I have the stock conversion kit from leaf

What's your battery voltage while resting versus under full load?

neptronix said:

Fingers crossed.

Any word back regarding this? This motor has so much more potential, and I think the market would respond very positively to this.

calfeetwenty said:
Grin has a 30mm motor that takes a cassette. I have one going into a hp Velotechnik. An auto scissor jack opened up my KMX.

Does that mean you need access to said scissor jack to change a rear tire? If that's the case, I may have to take my chances with a Leafbike motor set up for an 8-speed cassette, even though I don't quite trust the reliability of cassettes in hub motors.

The Toecutter said:
neptronix said:

Fingers crossed.

Any word back regarding this? This motor has so much more potential, and I think the market would respond very positively to this.

calfeetwenty said:

Does that mean you need access to said scissor jack to change a rear tire? If that's the case, I may have to take my chances with a Leafbike motor set up for an 8-speed cassette, even though I don't quite trust the reliability of cassettes in hub motors.

No, I have an old Honda scissor jack that I have used to permanently spread the dropouts of several bikes.

If not using the Speed controller from the Leaf motor kit, which one then ? It would be nice to have a display and throttle, like the one from the leafbike kit..

Comming from the esk8 world..... Anybody running these hubmotors on the VESC controller ??

Thanks

Just received my 20inch front hub wheel. Newbee question ....
Is it possible to mount a disc brake, using the bolts in the middle??
IMG_20190516_194832559.jpg

Well, the *rim* is v-brake compatible, so that' sprobably what they meant.

The wheel as a whole is disc compatible as long as it has the mount on the hub, if your frame or fork supports disc.

There is a catch, though: not every disc caliper will fit with every motor, without using a rotor larger than the side cover, becuase some of them stick out too far beyond the rotor and intersect with the side cover.

There's quite a few threads and posts dealing with issues because of that over the years (mostly with wider motors, but not always).

amberwolf said:
Well, the *rim* is v-brake compatible, so that' sprobably what they meant.

The wheel as a whole is disc compatible as long as it has the mount on the hub, if your frame or fork supports disc.

There is a catch, though: not every disc caliper will fit with every motor, without using a rotor larger than the side cover, becuase some of them stick out too far beyond the rotor and intersect with the side cover.

There's quite a few threads and posts dealing with issues because of that over the years (mostly with wider motors, but not always).

Back