My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

bugnut said:
Well, My AM1000 was delivered yesterday. I put the bike together today and I have the battery charging. Hope to ride it tomorrow. Still needs some minor tweaking. This is my first ebike, so I am not sure how to adjust the shocks. Also there were 2 spacers for the front wheel that came in 2 separate bags marked left and right. I mixed them up so I do not know which one was the left or right. I am hoping I put the right one in place. If anyone knows how to tell them apart and which side of the bike is the left and right I would appreciate it. Thanks

Buy a good shock pump and use this video for instructions. Once you get everything dialed in you will appreciate how the bike handles and rides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs

SunnyDay1 said:
bugnut said:
Well, My AM1000 was delivered yesterday. I put the bike together today and I have the battery charging. Hope to ride it tomorrow. Still needs some minor tweaking. This is my first ebike, so I am not sure how to adjust the shocks. Also there were 2 spacers for the front wheel that came in 2 separate bags marked left and right. I mixed them up so I do not know which one was the left or right. I am hoping I put the right one in place. If anyone knows how to tell them apart and which side of the bike is the left and right I would appreciate it. Thanks

Buy a good shock pump and use this video for instructions. Once you get everything dialed in you will appreciate how the bike handles and rides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs

Thanks for the info

I would like to buy the AM1000 but due to living in the UK it will get charged with high custom charges direct from China.

Do Frey operate along the lines of Banggood etc and ship them to another country then on to the UK to bypass the customs fees?

Or is there anywhere in the UK or Europe that sells the bikes?

Pity it’s not like other hobbies where someone fills a container with them and sells them on.

Customs charges are just plain theft by the government.

I don’t mind paying the Chinese bike builders as they have done all the hard work but the government are just lazy and greedy.

I like how you can pay insurance on some other Chinese sites and if you get hit with customs they will pay it back for you or they ship via Luxembourg (I think) and bypass the custom charges.

Sinbord1981 said:
Jughead said:
I would like to buy the AM1000 but due to living in the UK it will get charged with high custom charges direct from China.

Jughead I’ve just recently ordered an AM1000. I’m based in the UK. I’ll let you know what additional customs charges I get hit with. I should hopefully be getting the bike by end May.

Thank you as that would be very helpful in calculating what the total cost would be if hit with customs and handling charges.

Jughead said:
Sinbord1981 said:
Jughead said:

Jughead I’ve just recently ordered an AM1000. I’m based in the UK. I’ll let you know what additional customs charges I get hit with. I should hopefully be getting the bike by end May.

Thank you as that would be very helpful in calculating what the total cost would be if hit with customs and handling charges.

I am from Belgium and Frey (Grace) told me they cover the customs cost in the transport cost.

can you elaborate on the situation that led to this and what the errors are on the display?

Sinbord1981 said:
Razerr said:
I am from Belgium and Frey (Grace) told me they cover the customs cost in the transport cost.
Gosh that would be fantastic but I doubt I’ll be so lucky. Whatever I get hit with in customs taxes and charges I’ll let you know what it is as a percentage of the overall price I paid for my AM1000. You should then be able to build that in to whatever you’re planning to buy.

which shipping method did you choose? Air or train?

My AM1000 delivered recently and I'm loving it! The power is incredible. The only problem was a broken kickstand during shipping which Grace, my Frey contact, immediately replaced.

This is total noob stuff, but here's a short video of the bike on hard surface, then gravel, then trail along the town greenway near my house.

[youtube]7DQL8ttHtCs[/youtube]

46961922604_53fbbd7e87_b.jpg

leedavis said:
My AM1000 delivered recently and I'm loving it! The power is incredible. The only problem was a broken kickstand during shipping which Grace, my Frey contact, immediately replaced.
Great! enjoy

Sinbord1981 said:
Razerr said:
which shipping method did you choose? Air or train?
Air
Then you need to pay for taxes yourself

Sinbord1981 said:
leedavis said:
My AM1000 delivered recently and I'm loving it! The power is incredible.
I notice you don’t have the chain ring protector on yours.

I would also like to know that.

Re Chainring Cover: I think Bafang recently dumped the chainring cover in favor of this chain guide.

40797798643_0c34cbba46_b.jpg

Re Paint: The frame finish is OK. I like the semi-matte because it doesn't show dirt and scuffs as much as gloss. If someday it gets too grungy looking a repaint would be a simple job.

Re Frame Size: i am 6'1" (185cm) tall with a 34" (86cm) inseam. The XL frame fits me.

Re Battery: I prefer range and capacity so I went with 48v. The power and speed at 48v is way more than sufficient for my needs.

I'm very interested in getting this bike and I was wondering:

Do you guys know if there's a twist throttle available?
What's the best throttle available for this bike?

So far I'm thinking:
- AM1000 XL Frame (Asking them to make it black)
- Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
- I'm asking for the 52v battery
- I'm asking for the ROCKSHOX Lyric
- ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
- MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
- SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
- MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
- Gear sensor

Am I forgetting anything?

kaybee123 said:
I'm very interested in getting this bike and I was wondering:

Do you guys know if there's a twist throttle available?
What's the best throttle available for this bike?

So far I'm thinking:
- AM1000 XL Frame (Asking them to make it black)
- Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
- I'm asking for the 52v battery
- I'm asking for the ROCKSHOX Lyric
- ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
- MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
- SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
- MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
- Gear sensor

Am I forgetting anything?

- 5*additional derailleur hangers
- install front and back lights

Is what i ordered also.

Same! Except no gold fleck and I'm just getting the 48v battery.

48v is more than enough for me (I don't even plan on using all the power).

Batteries should be relatively easy to get (and are always improving) so I decided to only get one. I'm hoping it looks good and comes in one piece!

Back