First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
kcuf   100 W

100 W
Posts: 172
Joined: Sep 29 2018 3:21pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by kcuf » May 01 2019 4:38pm

3 dollar chain wear gauge

replace 10 15 dollar chain

any measurable wear

sprockets will last very long time

my chain interval about 1000 miles


large hubs using bicycle rims

will not lace strong durable wheels

even best spokes and lace job

eventually fail



heavy commuter experience

something gotta give/wear

chain cheap and easy

field serviceable too
In 2013 an ad appears on Russia social networks: Интернет-операторы хотели! Работа в шикарном офисе в Ольгино !!!, зарплата 25960 рублей в месяц

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 01 2019 5:15pm

wturber wrote:
May 01 2019 2:38pm
OK. The funny thing here is that the frame that broke was a Mongoose Impass - a full suspension bike. After riding both, the guy in the video strongly recommends the hardtail.
Dude, the Mongoose Impasse is a $400 FS bike. You know it's basically fake and possibly the worst possible choice for an ebike? It's heavier because of the suspension, but the suspension doesn't function so it's dead weight. I think even you and I can agree to avoid those bikes like the plague.

To be honest I did consider using the frame off of one and upgrading all of the components, shocks, forks, crank, derailleur etc. I don't have the parts and piecing together bikes can be costly if you don't have a good source. Most of the time you're a further ahead finding a complete bike. I made a nice hybrid out of a $99 aluminum frame road bike and an LX/XT groupo I had lying around. I was working at the shop and pilfered the BB, stem,brakes, handlebars etc. But I'm not sure I'd bother spending several hundred bucks on parts to put on one of those frames. They seem a little undersized and most are based on 20 year old geometry manufacturers passed over years ago.

Just to be clear, with a 1000W mid-drive wearing out the drive train isn't likely, it's inevitable.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 01 2019 6:10pm

Steve.Morris wrote:
May 01 2019 4:24pm
Further debate on Hard Tail vs FS seem pointless though - I understand there are pros/cons to both... and I'm fully aware of the risks.

To be clear - Yes, I'd like to have an average TOP speed of 24'ish MPH - and overall I'd like to be able to complete my 12.5mi commute in 35-45 minutes (which would be an average sustained speed of 21mph to 16.67mph).
Yah, sorry, it's been a bit of a derail.

I think it's obvious those speeds are easily achievable with the BBSHD. And you don't have to swap shifters. If you keep to those speeds and pedal you won't have any problems. But I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, if you just use throttle and start flying down some of those hills doing 35 or 40mph you will probably shred that bike in no time. :mrgreen:

Best of luck.

donn   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 393
Joined: Aug 13 2018 10:30am
Location: Seattle

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by donn » May 01 2019 6:30pm

Steve.Morris wrote:
May 01 2019 4:24pm
I'm still hesitating on whether I should get a DD or Geared hub w/ torque sensor vs BBSHD... I'm visiting Seattle this next weekend and may go test drive a RAD bike to get a feel for the hub drive -- and to pick their brains on HUBs for BIG GUY riding. I'd still be interested to hear any feedback from you guys here regarding this or other aspects of my build.
Good thinking. They deal with the range of ordinary ebike users, and Seattle is at least as hilly as Portland (our area was run over by glaciers less than 20,000 years ago, that didn't make it to Portland, so welcome to glacial topography.) I suppose they're going to take a relatively positive view on direct drive hubs, since that's what they do. There are a couple other shops nearby: Electric Vehicles NW which carries several lines, including some crank drives, and has been around longer than practically anyone, and PIM.

User avatar
E-HP   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 677
Joined: Nov 01 2018 9:20pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by E-HP » May 01 2019 7:07pm

Steve.Morris wrote:
May 01 2019 4:24pm

I'm still hesitating on whether I should get a DD or Geared hub w/ torque sensor vs BBSHD... I'm visiting Seattle this next weekend and may go test drive a RAD bike to get a feel for the hub drive -- and to pick their brains on HUBs for BIG GUY riding. I'd still be interested to hear any feedback from you guys here regarding this or other aspects of my build.
This is probably the best idea, though the RAD may not have the power of a 1000w direct drive hub, which might be what you need if you decide to go hub.

This video closely matches my experience with my hub motor. I've seen these hills in the video since one of my daughters is going to school in Santa Cruz. Grades are like the streets in my neighborhood, and as long as I'm pedaling, I'd say under 15% for a mile is no problem, and between 15% and 17% the motor is fine for a half mile or so. Anything above that, most of the hills are much shorter, so the bike can ride up those but just not for long. Based on the google map graph you posted, it doesn't look like there are any sustained steep climbs over a 1/2 mile, so you may find if you test ride a decent power hub, it may meet your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avpfd-C_dB4

That said, there are folks on this forum with tens of thousand of miles on their ebikes, so that's who I'd defer to, since their knowledge is based on the rubber hitting the road. I only have a several hundred miles, but mostly on steeper hills because of where I live.

donn   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 393
Joined: Aug 13 2018 10:30am
Location: Seattle

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by donn » May 01 2019 8:32pm

I bet the 1000W kit hubs are in many cases no different than the 750W factory ebike hubs. There might be a 15A limit configured into RAD's controllers. Or there might not, would be interesting to know - I don't think state law goes into any technical detail about how the 750W is measured or what would be measured. Even with a 15A limit, the way I read it, he could make his route without burning out. Whether there'd inevitably be a serious risk of spoke breakage etc., I don't know.

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 27408
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by amberwolf » May 01 2019 10:22pm

furcifer wrote:
May 01 2019 6:20am
OP is +300lbs. with motor and battery - that exceeds the weight carrying capacity of any rigid frame. It's really more than any bicycle frame can carry.
No, it isn't.

One can custom-build frames to carry whatever is needed, regardless of suspension or not.

That's part of my point of what I said--you're making very broad statements that simply aren't true. Whether or not this specific thread's OP has a need for it or not, isn't my point. It's just that you should step back and think about what you are about to post, to be sure it is accurate, before you post it.

Sorry, but I firmly believe it's downright dangerous to suggest using a rigid frame bike to the OP. I've read your counter arguments and they still come off as false bravado. Basically all I'm hearing is "I'm a super awesome rider so I can ride a rigid frame, if you knew how to ride you could too".
If you're still talking to me, then you haven't read what I wrote, because I haven't said a thing about that, or whether the OP should have suspension or not. If you're talking to someone else, you should specify who, and in response to what.

If you want to talk about fallacies, having the power but not using it because "I'm a responsible person" has to be one of the biggest ones. It just doesn't happen.
And that is another of your broad statements that is false.

It does happen.

Read my post. Read other stuff around the forum, around the web, etc. Talk to people with powerful systems that don't use them for speed, but instead for torque, etc., that have physical or electronic limiters that keep them below some set speed, etc., even though it's capable of much more.

But don't assume that everyone is going to do what you think they will, for whatever reason you think that, and then make broad, incorrect statements based on it.

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 27408
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by amberwolf » May 01 2019 10:24pm

furcifer wrote:
May 01 2019 5:10am
amberwolf wrote:
May 01 2019 12:52am
Nope.

THere is no USA federal law defining an ebike.

There is a federal CPSC regulation
It's actually an Act, and it's law. :roll:
Whatever terminology you choose to use, it is still not for what you seem to think it is (not here in teh USA; I have no idea what Canada's is like). See my post you quoted for what it is for.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 1:54am

amberwolf wrote:
May 01 2019 10:24pm
Whatever terminology you choose to use, it is still not for what you seem to think it is (not here in teh USA; I have no idea what Canada's is like). See my post you quoted for what it is for.
You're just splitting hairs and moving goal posts.

1000W turns a bicycle into a motorcycle or moped. By law. Period.

The BBSHD is not intended for street use in most of the world, because most of the world agrees it's not safe. In order to make it safe most countries have regulations that include such things as lights, horns, braking distance at speeds, speed rated tires, mirrors and yes, even suspension.

I'm getting the impression a lot of people on this forum haven't actually done much riding in their lives so they have nothing to compare an ebike too. So they have no idea what it's like to ride at 30 or 40mph and feel safe and in control. And clearly they don't know why this is because they don't understand suspension. It's not a gimmick, it's a way to steady the bike and keep the back tire on the ground.

And that's about it. Based on my experience, and how the laws are in most countries, I feel if you intend on riding a BBSHD to it's limits, you should consider it a moped and look to moped standards if you want to be safe and have an enjoyable ride. Those are the facts and this is my opinion. YMMV. (or is it YWaHMV on this forum?)

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7961
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by Chalo » May 02 2019 2:15am

furcifer wrote:
May 02 2019 1:54am
1000W turns a bicycle into a motorcycle or moped. By law. Period.
Not in Texas. There's no power limit here.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7437
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by markz » May 02 2019 2:55am

^The same no power law goes for most countries in Africa, South America, Mexico, Oceana except (Aus/Kiwi's) and lots of countries in Asia. People think their neck of the woods is the only one that matters, so blanket statements are made.

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 27408
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by amberwolf » May 02 2019 5:03am

furcifer wrote:
May 02 2019 1:54am
1000W turns a bicycle into a motorcycle or moped. By law. Period.
No.

Not in the USA. (don't know about other countries)


Read the laws for the various states.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 5:12am

markz wrote:
May 02 2019 2:55am
^The same no power law goes for most countries in Africa, South America, Mexico, Oceana except (Aus/Kiwi's) and lots of countries in Asia. People think their neck of the woods is the only one that matters, so blanket statements are made.
Yes, because it's splitting hairs. Is it safe for 5 year old children to drink alcohol because there's no minimum age to drink in Bolivia? Are the children of Bolivia better at handling their alcohol? Are they immune to the problems associated with drinking before your brain is fully developed?

No, they aren't. And yes, we make blankets statements like "It's not good for pre-schoolers to drink alcohol" based on the fact that most of the world recognizes the problem and has put laws in place.

Do you understand now? The exceptions to the rule don't prove anything.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 5:19am

amberwolf wrote:
May 02 2019 5:03am
furcifer wrote:
May 02 2019 1:54am
1000W turns a bicycle into a motorcycle or moped. By law. Period.
No.

Not in the USA. (don't know about other countries)


Read the laws for the various states.
3/4 of the US has such laws. There are several federal definitions, laws, acts etc. that define them, That's a majority. I know it doesn't count for much in your so called democracy, but it statistically significant.

Again, just because a few states in the US are slow to adopt laws doesn't change the fact that's it true. And if you read what I wrote I said "most". I qualified it because this is the internet and there's always "that guy". You know the guy.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 5:28am

Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 2:15am
Not in Texas. There's no power limit here.
So this is your argument against suspension? It's not needed because Texas.

Well I still say regardless of Texas, the BBSHD is capable of propelling a bicycle to a velocity consistent with that of a moped or motorcycle, and as a result should be outfitted with safety devices consistent with such vehicles as are defined in the NHTSA. For personal safety and responsible driving one should consider a bicycle with full suspension.

Even in Texas. :mrgreen:

slacker   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 08 2009 11:01am
Location: usa

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by slacker » May 02 2019 7:20am

Previously building and owning a rigid frame surly big dummy with a rear hub motor capable of 30 mph that rode great the full suspension argument is a personal opinion. This is based on 2 thousand plus miles of riding expeirence. For the op a big hub motor would be in my opinion the most reliable. :bigthumb:

docw009   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1081
Joined: Aug 02 2015 7:43am
Location: Chicago area suburbs.

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by docw009 » May 02 2019 7:48am

Steve.Morris wrote:
May 01 2019 4:24pm

I considered a hub drive because I could add a torque sensor to it - and I'd really like to have a torque assist motor - but I just don't know that I can afford the new kid on the block (BBS Ultra) or if the other one I've found (TSDZ2) would be strong enough to power my slowly shrinking self.

I also live in the same (hilly, pothole ridden) city as the author of the 10k miles video - so, yeah, hills are a concern. That's why I settled on a mid-drive.

1. Hills
2. I'm large - don't want to break spokes/wheels all the timem
3. Changing a tire would be a real challenge on a commute

I also have settled on the hard tail bike I bought for a couple reasons:
1. Larger triangle for larger battery
2. Less things to wear out
3. My commute is all bike path (old railroad line that has been paved) with a mile or so on the street
4. Cheaper to buy and maintain


Thanks to this thread (and also a duplicate post I made on reddit) I've decided to go with the (more expensive) Luna over em3ev and get the better battery tech (most likely a 24Ah w/ the Panasonic GA batteries)

I'm still hesitating on whether I should get a DD or Geared hub w/ torque sensor vs BBSHD... I'm visiting Seattle this next weekend and may go test drive a RAD bike to get a feel for the hub drive -- and to pick their brains on HUBs for BIG GUY riding. I'd still be interested to hear any feedback from you guys here regarding this or other aspects of my build.

To be clear - Yes, I'd like to have an average TOP speed of 24'ish MPH - and overall I'd like to be able to complete my 12.5mi commute in 35-45 minutes (which would be an average sustained speed of 21mph to 16.67mph).
One critique unrelated to suspension or motor. Because of traffic density and poor sight lines, the bike paths I ride cannot sustain fast commuters. Hope yours can do so. I once saw another ebike pass my ebike like I was standing still, but maybe 14 mph is like standing still. Tree lined section makes for bind curves. I ambled around the next bend and there was a mom iwith stroller and her little toddler on a push bike, unhurt and alive. Share the road is my advice.

Torque sensors are nice, and many cadence systems suck, but T/S is still over hyped. You probably wouldn't enjoy pushing the pedals hard on a T/S bike at 22 mph, but it would be good for your cardio.The cadence on my BBS02 is not as bad as one 3 level PAS bike I own, but it's still like a motion detector. If the top of the speed range for an assist level is just around your desired speed, it feels normal.That applies to most cadence systems. I wouldn't install T/S on a hub kit because it costs more than my motors. The KT controllers do a fair job of sending current to the motor with cadence sensing that feels nice to me. If you want the exercise, use the BBSHD with throttle only and be light on its use.

Unless you enjoy welding aluminum or buy a complete ebike, I don't believe there is an Ultra in your future.

Rail trails don't have steep grades. We rode one in Colorado and my wife's 500W controller on a geared motor did fine.

You can handle a flat on a hub motor with one of them linear inner tubes. I carry them on trips.

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7961
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by Chalo » May 02 2019 11:58am

furcifer wrote:
May 02 2019 5:28am
Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 2:15am
Not in Texas. There's no power limit here.
So this is your argument against suspension? It's not needed because Texas.
No, that's unrelated to the fact that you're wrong when you say a 1000W e-bike needs to have suspension. I'm just pointing out another thing you said unequivocally that is also wrong.

My own e-bike (1000W nominal, 48V x 35A) has no suspension, doesn't need any, and would suffer functionally if it had suspension on either wheel. And it's compliant with electric bicycle rules where I am.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 12:30pm

Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 11:58am
No, that's unrelated to the fact that you're wrong when you say a 1000W e-bike needs to have suspension. I'm just pointing out another thing you said unequivocally that is also wrong.
I didn't initially state it unequivocally. You just baited me with your inanities into making a statement without specific qualifiers so you could jump on it like this.

Again, this is a generalization because disseminating every single locale in the world is pedantic, but 1000W electric motor mounted to a bicycle is considered a motor vehicle and subject to more stringent safety standards. By law.

Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 11:58am
My own e-bike (1000W nominal, 48V x 35A) has no suspension, doesn't need any, and would suffer functionally if it had suspension on either wheel. And it's compliant with electric bicycle rules where I am.
So it's not a 1000W mid-drive, and you live in one of the few places that an exception to the rule. So what?

I'd say it's this type of ignorance on vehicle safety that initiates government intervention. Because the government hasn't stepped in on your behalf you don't understand the difference between a 1000W hub motor and a 1000W mid drive, how that affects the safe handling of the bicycle with the speed and weight characteristics we are specifically talking about, and instead are interjecting your own anecdotal experience instead of using logic and reason.

Like I said, most of the world has considered the issue and has arrived at a wattage below 1000W and 25-30mph unassisted as a point where the use on a bicycle is no longer safe for the rider and other users of the road. I don't like it, but I tend to agree. If a company wished to manufacture an ebike with a 1000W for use on public roads, full suspension would be a requirement.

Not only that but it wouldn't be foolishly debated like it is here. There isn't a mechanical engineer alive that would pitch a rigid frame in a proposal.

Do I know this for absolute certain? No, I can't. What I've done is extrapolated design from similar vehicles, used my knowledge of the law and engineering, as well as riding experience gained over 30 years to arrive at a logical conclusion.

I'm just not seeing the same level of thought and understanding in your argument.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 12:32pm

furcifer wrote:
May 02 2019 12:30pm
Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 11:58am
No, that's unrelated to the fact that you're wrong when you say a 1000W e-bike needs to have suspension. I'm just pointing out another thing you said unequivocally that is also wrong.
I didn't initially state it unequivocally. You just baited me with your inanities into making a statement without specific qualifiers so you could jump on it like this.

Again, this is a generalization because disseminating every single locale in the world is pedantic, but 1000W electric motor mounted to a bicycle is considered a motor vehicle and subject to more stringent safety standards. By law.

Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 11:58am
My own e-bike (1000W nominal, 48V x 35A) has no suspension, doesn't need any, and would suffer functionally if it had suspension on either wheel. And it's compliant with electric bicycle rules where I am.
So it's not a 1000W mid-drive, and you live in one of the few places that an exception to the rule. So what?

I'd say it's this type of ignorance on vehicle safety that initiates government intervention. Because the government hasn't stepped in on your behalf you don't understand the difference between a 1000W hub motor and a 1000W mid drive, how that affects the safe handling of the bicycle with the speed and weight characteristics we are specifically talking about, and instead are interjecting your own anecdotal experience instead of using logic and reason.

Like I said, most of the world has considered the issue and has arrived at a wattage below 1000W and 25-30mph unassisted as a point where the use on a bicycle is no longer safe for the rider and other users of the road. I don't like it, but I tend to agree. If a company wished to manufacture an ebike with a 1000W for use on public roads, full suspension would be a requirement. (among other safety features)

Not only that but it wouldn't be foolishly debated like it is here. There isn't a mechanical engineer alive that would pitch a rigid frame in a proposal.

Do I know this for absolute certain? No, I can't. What I've done is extrapolated design from similar vehicles, used my knowledge of the law and engineering, as well as riding experience gained over 30 years to arrive at a logical conclusion.

I'm just not seeing the same level of thought and understanding in your argument.

Thomsontouring   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Jun 19 2018 3:40pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by Thomsontouring » May 02 2019 12:54pm

Some real-world experience with a very similar set-up to OP's proposal-- I'm very happy with a BBSHD on a hardtail name-brand alloy frame. I carry 1500 watt-hours and take weekly 50-70 mile rides on hilly rural roads with lots of potholes. I average about 18mph and peak at 45mph on downhills. The front suspension is appreciated when I hit uneven pavement. The bike never feels unstable or unsafe. I've had it a year and put over 1500 miles on it. Rear hub is a Nexus internal 3-speed which has been flawless. I never felt the need for more gears, and it's running the original chain and sprockets. The only maintenance has been replacing the road tires with more durable touring class tires.

This is just to encourage the OP - your on the right track if you want dependability and good speed/power. The BBSHD is virtually silent and nobody looks twice if I ride it responsibly (lights, helmet, keep to the right, etc.) even on bike trails.

A powerful DD hub motor puts a lot of unsprung weight on the spokes, rim and tire. The BBSHD with triangle battery gives much better weight distribution.

PS: Both wheels are 700c even though the photo angle makes the rear look larger.
P1010147.JPG

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7961
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by Chalo » May 02 2019 1:45pm

furcifer wrote:
May 02 2019 12:30pm
Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 11:58am
My own e-bike (1000W nominal, 48V x 35A) has no suspension, doesn't need any, and would suffer functionally if it had suspension on either wheel. And it's compliant with electric bicycle rules where I am.
So it's not a 1000W mid-drive, and you live in one of the few places that an exception to the rule. So what?
One of the few places-- cute. About 30 million people live in Texas, distributed around an area larger than France. I would characterize that alone as "many places", not "one of a few". There are also 18 other US states that allow a 1000W e-bike and classify it as a bicycle, not a motorcycle or moped. See for yourself:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri ... ted_States

So there's another declaration you're wrong about.

I started my bike with a BBS02. That's nominally 750W, but it's a mid drive. It was wasn't any more dangerous or motorcycle-like that way than with a 1000W hub motor. It had built-in speed limiting so I could make it compliant with my local laws. The BBSHD has the same capability.

My bike didn't need suspension when it had a mid drive, and it doesn't need it now. It has components and frame elements going back as far as the early 1980s, none of which would still be usable if they were from a suspension bike or any other bike in the same plaything/fool-and-his-money category.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 2:40pm

Thomsontouring wrote:
May 02 2019 12:54pm
Some real-world experience with a very similar set-up to OP's proposal-- I'm very happy with a BBSHD on a hardtail name-brand alloy frame. I carry 1500 watt-hours and take weekly 50-70 mile rides on hilly rural roads with lots of potholes. I average about 18mph and peak at 45mph on downhills. The front suspension is appreciated when I hit uneven pavement.
You do 45mph on 700c wheels with those shocks and feel it's safe and stable?

I just want to clarify, you feel it's safe and stable in the sense that the wheels aren't going to come flying off at any moment, or you feel it's safe and stable in the sense the if you hit a rough patch or a cat jumps out or a car doesn't see you, and you have to hit the brakes and swerve to avoid something, it's not going to be an issue? Because there's no way you're doing 30mph on that bike, in traffic, trying to stop, watching the road and taking your hand off the handlebars to signal your turn and feeling safe and stable.
I know how much flex there is in those rims and that fork. At 30mph unless the pavement is glass, you've got both hands on the handlebars and you're fighting the bumps in the road. And you're not able to signal your turn, and you're not safe. No amount of skill changes that.

For nice leisurely strolls I don't think there's anything wrong with a hardtail. For a commute however it's different.

I've found there are two types of riding; the ride with a destination and the ride without one. The rides you have to commute or go to an appointment and you have no control over the weather conditions, the time you need to be there or the route you have to take can be significantly more stressful and unsafe than when you're just going for a ride.

Commuting and riding for pleasure are just different things. As someone that's had to commute by bicycle and by motorcycle at different points in my life over the years I think it's something people might not be considering. When you have to be somewhere and you have to ride things start to look different.

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 601
Joined: Dec 21 2018 12:36pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by furcifer » May 02 2019 2:54pm

Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 1:45pm
One of the few places-- cute. About 30 million people live in Texas, distributed around an area larger than France. I would characterize that alone as "many places", not "one of a few". There are also 18 other US states that allow a 1000W e-bike and classify it as a bicycle, not a motorcycle or moped. See for yourself:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri ... ted_States
You're citing federal regulations on ebikes to say there's no regulations on ebikes. :confused:


Chalo wrote:
May 02 2019 1:45pm
My bike didn't need suspension when it had a mid drive, and it doesn't need it now. It has components and frame elements going back as far as the early 1980s, none of which would still be usable if they were from a suspension bike or any other bike in the same plaything/fool-and-his-money category.
You don't need suspension on your car either. You can drive it without. You just have a crappy unsafe ride. It would be silly to drive your car without the suspension. The same goes for any vehicle on the road.

There's a good way to do things and a bad way to do things. Yours is the bad way. I'm sure it gets the job done but you need to realize there are better ways.

Thomsontouring   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Jun 19 2018 3:40pm

Re: First E-Bike - Doing DIY BBSHD - Critique my plan

Post by Thomsontouring » May 02 2019 3:02pm

Note that the OP was only talking about going 24mph. But even with 1000 watts he's going to be going 10mph up hills so he'll have to make it up on the downhills. Non-powered road bikes are routinely doing 40 or even 50 on hills when the road is good. I'm talking about roads like this which I was on last Saturday. No rain, no snow, no traffic, wide shoulders.

I commuted by motorcycle for years. I commute by ebike now but it's under a mile. You have to ride to road conditions. But that doesn't categorically rule out a good balanced hardtail/mid-drive combination.

PS: I pedal most of the time but I've programmed out the cadence-based PAS. It's much easier to fine tune the amount of assist with the throttle, rather than having the PAS constantly trying to second guess me.
Attachments
Rt711.jpg
Rt711.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Post Reply