Kepler Bottom Bracket Friction Drive For Sale (Finally)

Hi Kepler,

Can i buy a throttle interface with pass activation from you?
My own pass censor in combinatie with rc servo does nog worden fine.
I hope you can help me, i have working a long time with this problem with no good results.

Sure, I can supply this but it is setup for a Vesc which can be calibrated to match the Arduino output.

I am happy to send you the Visuino file if you like. You can then modify the ms output to suit your setup.

Yes , it is for a vesc 4.12 with friction drive . I would be verry happy if i can buy a plug and play throttle interface from you.
Yesterday i have removed my pedelec setup , now back to basic .

Hi Kepler,
I am impressed with your work, and am interested in purchasing one of your kits. I plan to install on my Novara Mazama. It seems my BB to tire distance is within range, see picture.

My plan is to ride mostly unassisted, but for longer rides I plan to take a battery with me, in a Topeak case on the rear rack. I have several Ego "56V" packs (14s 18650) that I'm hoping to use for this purpose. Not sure if this voltage is within range of the RC motors that are typically used. If not, I'm open to other battery options.

Can you reply with thoughts on the battery, and PM with a kit option cost?
Thanks!
1dY6Q157c3aB-kCCf6Pof3lzebdDR5hT5p3g43wFa5B_8pWkp2kcZdxZCmw6OdgN3nMNwMzaQXr9GiDsNpj4bwLo2c5NApDtJ31A58dBXLirU0MEKyJ8UBIwstlGAkXXGlmqSL39BzZace3KvUV1c02dOPXZdK4IIvQPm3oCSzN6f--r9_MALUlQmg789l3zrONztlyWWr4PJ0ZMY3NqxZiHW76Xta8PeH6FIMdKh3U2FV5Va5Ms8A8KcTuUbzTTaBTnq2HsDyfY5FG4ZCBfwPju3IkRJvZ-juPn_z22dtQDxa8oK-4nwEcnzJHgbHxxf_s-eh8_-sHCqgdX4GIhN3NQYDc5-Uj0jHHzM_DgQcc5Y_MkU9lW2QDSKsH7kmJ8yMguYGKCspblNwLhhrfJuYO6EoFXbfj9VokJ6CLLdfNVnlQ01QXPxIsiSdvClrKjT_8nz8Rh2gkJx8fuGqzKddPVyxQkCdbBHNnKbS2uK8Yme4CkimKzqBHtc2GcyAdz_kEqOAgpz2TjsEkOxwSUxisAXW6vlGlnoI_3LGxAxPu5XfQKfAZ7GbW53mQA3SP3PS4oEF99qLp-ezBto9xof-rmwl1N7K_P10Q5zk85wnpFJdRdVCvHefOfkOmpY-MfM0h8Md03yaorw07pEN4HUWNSLf5O1-Ag2-l0lEEoapxTRT2yJFhmU5kJUHpAhTw9lsTjsi5_etSvZ6gZg0U=w1247-h935-no

ed85ca47-32a8-4fdd-b45d-b73a067819cb

Kepler said:
Unfortunately I am completely out of stock. I am looking to do another run of drives next month at this stage.

No problem - please add me to your interest list. In the meantime I will try to get smarter on available friction motors and the battery options. Thanks.

nlhaines said:
Will this work on a hardtail mountain bike if the BB to tire distance is in range?

It should, if you are running street tires and not knobby dirt tires.

@Kepler: Put me on the list for the next batch

Thats correct, it will work fine as long as the tire selection is correct. For quite operation, the centre of the tire needs to be smooth. There are plenty of hybrid tires that also work quite well.

cal3thousand, I have placed you on the list.

Still watching this in the hope I have a suitable bike at some point (I'm thinking of a stealth single speed ebike that looked low key enough to safely lock up in a big city without getting knicked).

A question: are there any build threads around? I know all about Kepler's results, but I'd like to see how average punters have got on putting a Kepler build together and what their experiences have been using it.

ModeratelyFastF said:
A question: are there any build threads around? I know all about Kepler's results, but I'd like to see how average punters have got on putting a Kepler build together and what their experiences have been using it.

It's not a proper thread and I didn't really use the drive, but I'm an average bloke with a not so average bike to mount the thing on.
I initially could not mount it on the crank side because of the chain line (1x10 drivetrain), but the non-crank side was no better because of my bottom bracket (BB-7700).
However, it fits on the seat tube, using motorbike handlebar thingies as tube clamps. I had to machine a couple of M10 to M4 adapter (they are glued in the M10 adapters of the thingies and the drive's mounting bolds threads in there) but it's almost plug and play.

uc

uc

It is roughly adjusted, and I hope the slightly off-centered motor won't be a problem. For those having trouble with the bottom bracket mounting option, it may be an alternative.

Nicely done. This was the reason I made main mounting plate in two halves.

Just one thing with this mounting position, you will need to move the pivot point further to the front of the bike if you want it be able climb the tire.

IMG_20190127_143608_Kep.jpg

Alternately you can leave it where it is but in permanent contact with the tire adjusted so it doesn't slip

Thanks for the advice. The motor currently does not touch the tire (but is very close). For now, I will leave it there, because it would be a headache to move it forward.

I would have to drill and tap the brackets, which is the easy part.
The spring adjustment system cannot fit much forward, and I unfortunately cannot put it on the "outside" (in the pictures, it is "inside"), otherwise the motor would be too much on the left of the bike and would not touch the tire anymore. That means I would need to mill the brackets, which I don't have the proper tools for. So I hope the small margin I have to lower the motor will be enough :)

Kepler said:
This was the reason I made main mounting plate in two halves.

And that is, to me, one of the best things on that unit's design: it is very adaptable to any frame/motor :thumb: (and even a normal frame with weird components)

Aeron said:
Kepler said:
Just one thing with this mounting position, you will need to move the pivot point further to the front of the bike if you want it be able climb the tire.

For now, I will leave it there, because it would be a headache to move it forward.

I just understood why I would not work... :roll:
I'll try to place the drive above the wheel (as I have more room for it to move around), hopefully it'll work.

Hello Kepler, great to read of your innovative design and dedicated testing, building a platform for the rest of us to enjoy this tech, so thank you for that! I have found a work colleague interested in doing a parallel build alongside me, though he has yet to measure his frame to check suitability, but could you please put us on your list for two mounts, and any other helpful guidance and build material you could supply to us in NZ, and let us know your ordering process? Thank you!

@Kepler
great work and your will to share it outstanding

please add me to the list as well, for 1 kit.
Many Thanks

I am now in the process of building another batch of drives.

A few minor changes have been made and are as follows:

The bottom end stop has been deleted from the design. I found this end stop wasn't really necessary as the gravity spring took care disengagement anyway. Also found the swing arm would rattle against the end stop when not in operation and so by deleting this, the drive is now less noticeable under the bike.

This has also allowed me to make the swing arm wider which in turn makes this component less likely to flex especially with heavier motors.

The centre attachment screw has been upgraded from 4mm unbrako to 5mm. This screw is now directly threaded into the lower main plate which has allowed me to delete the threaded back plate.

Drive will be shipped with a reverse wound gravity spring for those who want mount the drive on the non drive side of the bottom bracket.

Price stays the same as always at $100 USD plus postage.

Exploded View 04_2019.PNG

Sounds awesome... I have PayPal ready :)

Hi Kepler

Have been watching this thread for a while now. Please count me in for a bracket when they become available.

May also be interested in the kit you mentioned (back in June 2018) if you are still considering it as an option. I'd be looking for fully programmed Vesc, Arduino microcontroller, Button throttle interface, metr bluetooth, pedal cadance sensor etc.
Ideally I'd like to have a 'road legal' setting which, in the UK, involves:
- 25 km/h (15.5 mph) max assisted speed
- 250 Watts (maximum continuous rated power)
- The e-bike’s pedals must be in motion for motor assistance to be provided

Is the kit something you are still considering?

Either way, I'd like a bracket!

Thanks

Steve

Hi Kepler,

I would love to buy a bracket as soon as it is available.

Greetings from Germany,
Padrossov

Back