Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.
John in CR   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13854
Joined: May 20 2008 12:58am
Location: Paradise

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by John in CR » Mar 10 2019 4:36pm

Even just one on that back end plate would do a lot of good just by getting the hot air out of the controller. Since there was nothing to get hot on the bottom of my boards, I blocked that off as a path for air to flow to help focus flow where it was needed most. These days, since I use 6 phase motors, I don't need super powerful controllers, so I run them stock and at conservative settings. 100A each from the battery with less than 2:1 phase/batt current limits at voltages from 74V nominal to 115V nominal is typically plenty...especially since I have the modded MadAss running at 30kw+ peak input for thrills.

shaman   100 W

100 W
Posts: 264
Joined: Dec 10 2018 7:03pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by shaman » Mar 10 2019 6:58pm

John in CR wrote:
Mar 10 2019 4:36pm
I use 6 phase motors
Where does one get those 6 phase motors?

User avatar
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2785
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 11 2019 12:25am

shaman wrote:
Mar 10 2019 6:58pm
John in CR wrote:
Mar 10 2019 4:36pm
I use 6 phase motors
Where does one get those 6 phase motors?
Depends on the power you want...

John is talking about hubmonsters. He has several of them, but they are not cheap. I have 2 of them. It took looking in local for sale sites a long time to find them on existing electric mopeds.

Just about all Motenergy axial flux motors are dual stator or 6 phases. Again not inexpensive.

You can take any outrunner and wind it for 6 phases. I have an Alien Power 12090 that's burnt out. I'll eventually get around to winding it for 6 phases.

Philaphlous   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 431
Joined: Mar 28 2017 7:17am

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by Philaphlous » Mar 12 2019 12:28pm

Well it's definitely not going to be waterproof or water tight with those fans... After a 14mi ride on my controller pulling anywhere from 600-1500w...more around 650W consistently I had absolutely no heat from my controller. Pretty amazing! Well see what happens when it's 90F out but I'm not worried at all pulling 2K through mine. I also added new thermal paste to the mosfet heatsink block.

I better be seeing wheelies from this controller!

User avatar
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2785
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 12 2019 4:06pm

I posted back a few pages in this thread about losing a few mosfets in the controller. I was running an Alien Power 12090 when it happened.

A couple of days ago, I connected that exact same motor again and sure enough, popped mosfets again. Grrr!

Back a few months, I assumed there was a couple of weak mosfets...it happens form time to time.

I took the 12090 apart and found I have a partial phase short to the stator. The motor is effectively brand new as it's never seen more than bench use. This is why I'm blowing mosfets. There's no evidence that a motor phase is damaged.

Philaphlous   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 431
Joined: Mar 28 2017 7:17am

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by Philaphlous » Mar 20 2019 4:08pm

So from your extensive experience with modding the controller where do you see the weakest link to be? I'm considering adding a little more solder to the shunt for 55-60A on mine... Im thinking the 14-16awg phase wires going into the motor that are only about 6" long won't like those phase amps...

User avatar
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2785
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 21 2019 8:14am

Philaphlous wrote:
Mar 20 2019 4:08pm
So from your extensive experience with modding the controller where do you see the weakest link to be? I'm considering adding a little more solder to the shunt for 55-60A on mine... Im thinking the 14-16awg phase wires going into the motor that are only about 6" long won't like those phase amps...
Are you talking about the 12 fet PV controller or something else? No PV controller uses 14 or 16 awg wires anywhere.

Adding solder to the shunts...
just don't. If you want more amperage do it right and use better shunts.
Also, if you are using a PV controller, this is the wrong way to go about doing things. These controllers are fully programmable.
"buttering up" shunts is what you do to cheap Chinese dumb controllers that you buy on ebay for $40.

Philaphlous   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 431
Joined: Mar 28 2017 7:17am

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by Philaphlous » Mar 26 2019 4:09am

ElectricGod wrote:
Mar 21 2019 8:14am
Philaphlous wrote:
Mar 20 2019 4:08pm
So from your extensive experience with modding the controller where do you see the weakest link to be? I'm considering adding a little more solder to the shunt for 55-60A on mine... Im thinking the 14-16awg phase wires going into the motor that are only about 6" long won't like those phase amps...
Are you talking about the 12 fet PV controller or something else? No PV controller uses 14 or 16 awg wires anywhere.

Adding solder to the shunts...
just don't. If you want more amperage do it right and use better shunts.
Also, if you are using a PV controller, this is the wrong way to go about doing things. These controllers are fully programmable.
"buttering up" shunts is what you do to cheap Chinese dumb controllers that you buy on ebay for $40.
Yea I got one of those cheap ass controllers your talking about. It does have soldering points for a plug to program it but those aren't used at all.
It's kinda strange though that the controller doesn't really even get warm... Maybe it's just in such a great location on my bike? It's behind the downtube between the rear wheel and downtube. It gets airflow from the front and I believe also some from the wheel.

j bjork   100 W

100 W
Posts: 299
Joined: Aug 31 2018 3:01pm
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by j bjork » May 08 2019 4:57am

Interesting thred :wink:

Has there been any progress with this project?

User avatar
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2785
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by ElectricGod » May 12 2019 4:49pm

j bjork wrote:
May 08 2019 4:57am
Interesting thred :wink:

Has there been any progress with this project?
No much...until a couple of days ago. The AP 12090 with the shorted phase blew up the controller. I've had many things on my plate recently so this just sat. I got it pulled apart a couple of days ago and found that 10 of the 12 mosfets are cooked. I've replaced all of them, but need to test it out now.

That was a lot of money on new top end mosfets that lasted just minutes! GRRR!

User avatar
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2785
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Epic 7kw+ 12 fet controller...or there abouts :)

Post by ElectricGod » May 14 2019 12:45am

Well that controller is a lost cause...
Not only were the mosfets toast, but the control electronics were fried too. That Alien Power motor really messed things up badly!

I have another of the 12 fet PV controllers. Last night, I got it mostly modded. The 8 awg wires and big shunts are added. The phase busses still need some beefing up. I'm going to rework my copper heat spreader a little before installing it in the beefed up shell.

Post Reply