Stromer ST1 X 2018 - Help and advice request

mikkel250

1 µW
Hi all!

First post here.

I'm hoping to get some help and advice from those more knowledgeable than I regarding the 2018 Stromer model ST1 X, since I imagine some have been following the brand for years and I'm just getting into the whole world of e-bikes.
The story:
I found a great deal (about half price) on what the seller confirmed is a display model from year 2018. They actually have quite a few of them, in various colors (white, orange, charcoal).
If I had a choice, I would choose white. However, from what I understand, white was discontinued in 2018 and replaced by Charcoal, Sand, Blue (I think they call it Ocean), and Orange. The photo looks to me like just a stock photo from the manufacturer. It is possible for me to go get it, but I'd prefer to have it shipped to save myself 3-4 hours of time and a somewhat long drive.

So I have a few questions I'm hoping those who watched these roll out in 2018 could answer:
- Is there a way to tell the model year from the serial? Not sure it's correct (same one appears copy/pasted on all white model listings), but the seller lists it as RF2ST2M700AHF05

- Did anyone see display models for 2018 in white anywhere, or is it more likely this is a 2017 model and the seller just has it wrong?

- Assuming it is a 2017 model, from what I understand this model has not changed much over the years, the main change in 2018 being the OMNI computer upgrade. Capacitive touch and bluetooth unlocking are nice and all, but (to me) minor conveniences that I would be fine with not having (using pressure to enter a pin code is fine IMO). Basically it seems to me like it's essentially the same bike, and I'd probably be perfectly happy with it even if it is a 2017 model. Thoughts or opinions on this (2017 vs. 2018)?

- Assuming the upgrades for 2018 _are_ preferable (same price either way), and while it seems likely that Stromer could have put all the 2018 parts onto a (probably leftover 2017 white) frame, should I just pick a different color that was definitely available in 2018 to be safe (I'm not married to white, it's just my preference, and safest/most visible)?

I'll just wrap up by saying that if all else fails I can always return the bike (no questions asked and no $ penalty -- I'm thinking exchange it) if it turns out to not be a 2018 model, it's just 2-3 hours of driving roundtrip that I'd rather avoid (as well as possible buyer's remorse) by making the right choice at the beginning, and I'm hoping for some help from those in the know.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately there's not many people here with Stromer experience, other than nonfunctional bikes and/or bike parts being repurposed.

I can't direclty help with most of the questions, but what info and suggestions I do have are below:

mikkel250 said:
- Is there a way to tell the model year from the serial? Not sure it's correct (same one appears copy/pasted on all white model listings), but the seller lists it as RF2ST2M700AHF05
If the same serial number is on every listing, then either it isnt' a serial number, or the seller is too lazy to use the actual serial number, or something hinky is going on (one of so many various kinds of hinky it's tough to list them all).

- Did anyone see display models for 2018 in white anywhere, or is it more likely this is a 2017 model and the seller just has it wrong?
Why not check with Stromer? They can tell you *exactly* what is and isn't actually available in each model / year / etc., as they would have to be able to provide spare parts during warranty periods for each one, so they ahve to know what each one requires.

should I just pick a different color that was definitely available in 2018 to be safe
If you really want to be sure it's a 2018, you'd have to get the serial / model info from the seller, and then call up Stromer with that info to see if it comes up in their lists as a 2018 with the specific features you are after. (short of actually handling the bike and verifying yourself, not practical in this case).

(I'm not married to white, it's just my preference, and safest/most visible)?
Technically, dayglo pink is the most visible color in most situations, especially sunset/dawn or just after/before those times, but most poeple wouldn't ride a pink bike, and the color fades quickly in sunlight, so not too many bikes are available in it. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Guess I should have also mentioned that I did try contacting Stromer first but the only means they have listed on their website is a form which (does not work properly and) won't submit (no email or ph#).

AFAIK, their sales office is in San Diego, CA; if you can't find a number, probably I have a card from them (would need to find it).

Back