My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Get the light. It's nice to just have it. I like the lyrik/deluxe setup. 52v and extra 52v. Extra hangers for derailleur hangers. I switched to left thumb throttle and shorter cranks 150 mm Delta
REF PD11IBT17CA700001541 from Miranda bikes. Makes a huge difference when going up avoiding pedal strikes. https://mirandabikeparts.com/en/historydetail/?id=49182f81e6a13cf5eaa496d51fea6406

Could you upload picture of the lights that Frey provides?

rayebiker said:
Get the light. It's nice to just have it. I like the lyrik/deluxe setup. 52v and extra 52v. Extra hangers for derailleur hangers. I switched to left thumb throttle and shorter cranks 150 mm Delta
REF PD11IBT17CA700001541 from Miranda bikes. Makes a huge difference when going up avoiding pedal strikes. https://mirandabikeparts.com/en/historydetail/?id=49182f81e6a13cf5eaa496d51fea6406

Question on the appearance of the bike:

From what I understand, you can get it in multiple different colors?
And... have decals or no decals?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here and have been looking for a clean-looking e-mtb. I was close to buying the Luna Apollo but that price scared me. Also, the biggest issue I was having in looking at bikes is that if I built it myself, you could see it was electric. The Apollo was just asking to be challenged by a cop with that massive battery. So I was looking and reading and stumbled across something that sent me to this thread. After reading all 50+ pages here, I am totally convinced that this is the bike for me. Great price point for what you get and most importantly, it's stealthy and won't draw attention to the 1000W Ultra motor installed in it.

Seeing all of your bikes coming in the last few months gave me bike envy so I'm now talking to Grace so I can place my order. She mentioned to me that the color choices are black, white, silver, blue, yellow and gray. So how is it that I'm seeing a gloss black with gold metallic flecks here??? How did you get that choice?

Here are the spec of what I'm looking at ordering:
Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.

Based on all your inputs, my possible upgrades are as follows but I didn't see the options listed anywhere so I'm not sure:
52V battery
lighting
gear sensor
extra derailleurs

Anything I'm missing here?

One last thing? Does anyone have experience with this bike in the rain or riding on wet ground?

That's pretty much the specs I have.

I got the light / derailleur sensor.
I'm getting the decals sent separately too! (Glad I asked)

I went with the 48v battery because there have been issues reported with 52v batteries on this forum. (Quite honestly, I believe they can be resolved and perhaps have already been resolved). I figure that 48v is MORE than powerful enough (I don't want to go that fast) and the longer range is always welcomed.

kaybee123 said:

I went with the 48v battery because there have been issues reported with 52v batteries on this forum. (Quite honestly, I believe they can be resolved and perhaps have already been resolved). I figure that 48v is MORE than powerful enough (I don't want to go that fast) and the longer range is always welcomed.

What issues with 52v batteries? I have 2 of them and they work great.

00n8080 said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here and have been looking for a clean-looking e-mtb. I was close to buying the Luna Apollo but that price scared me. Also, the biggest issue I was having in looking at bikes is that if I built it myself, you could see it was electric. The Apollo was just asking to be challenged by a cop with that massive battery. So I was looking and reading and stumbled across something that sent me to this thread. After reading all 50+ pages here, I am totally convinced that this is the bike for me. Great price point for what you get and most importantly, it's stealthy and won't draw attention to the 1000W Ultra motor installed in it.

Seeing all of your bikes coming in the last few months gave me bike envy so I'm now talking to Grace so I can place my order. She mentioned to me that the color choices are black, white, silver, blue, yellow and gray. So how is it that I'm seeing a gloss black with gold metallic flecks here??? How did you get that choice?

Here are the spec of what I'm looking at ordering:
Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.

Based on all your inputs, my possible upgrades are as follows but I didn't see the options listed anywhere so I'm not sure:
52V battery
lighting
gear sensor
extra derailleurs

Anything I'm missing here?

One last thing? Does anyone have experience with this bike in the rain or riding on wet ground?

If you want to be stealthy go with the matt black with no decals, you won't be disappointed. They don't list options for the bike so just ask for them. Also, those aren't extra derailleurs you want, extra hangers for the derailleurs.

My understanding on the 52V vs. 48V is that the higher voltage allows the power to flow more efficiently resulting in lower heat generation. Somebody that knows more about batteries can probably answer this better.

Hangers, not derailleurs. That would have been a big mistake. Thanks for that!!!

I will get solid black and ask for the decals separately as well. I'm thinking I like the striping but not the big name on the side.

SunnyDay1 said:
kaybee123 said:

What issues with 52v batteries? I have 2 of them and they work great.

My two 52v batteries are still working perfectly after 16 months.

Well, I'm placing my order. It's 30-40 days to build and another 10-15 for shipping. Grace said the busy season is starting.

What kind of battery charger do you get with this? What's the charge rate? Do you have to use their battery charger or can you connect with other RC chargers?Those with a 52V 17A battery, how long does it take to charge it up?

Hardcore said:
A small section of DH on the Frey am1000

That's awesome, my main concern is the battery mounting. Which steps (if any) did you take to ensure the battery is solid/stable during the jumps?

The previous pages of this thread talk about tape, cushion pads, etc. I haven't even received the bike and I'm trying to figure out the most aesthetically pleasing solution (I don't really want to have pieces of tape on the side. I want it to look nice however I also don't want my battery to fall out)

kaybee123 said:
Hardcore said:
A small section of DH on the Frey am1000

That's awesome, my main concern is the battery mounting. Which steps (if any) did you take to ensure the battery is solid/stable during the jumps?

The previous pages of this thread talk about tape, cushion pads, etc. I haven't even received the bike and I'm trying to figure out the most aesthetically pleasing solution (I don't really want to have pieces of tape on the side. I want it to look nice however I also don't want my battery to fall out)

wrapped a piece of velcro around it. Matching colours would be aesthetically pleasing

Sad news to report. My Frey AM1000 was stolen last night.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so if anyone from this area sees one riding around or for sale, maybe let me know.

It was white with blue lettering, but I think what makes it unique are the Ching Sheng Tire BFT 27.5 x 3.0 tires. I don't think you normally see CST tires here in USA.

I normally don't keep the battery on it either, but I left it on there that night so the thieves got a 52 volt battery too, argh!

:(

Thanks,
Sean

dalysea said:
I don't think you normally see CST tires here in USA.
They're common enough, actually. I've used the brand for bicycle tires for a long time, and considered them when looking for MC / moped tires a couple/three years ago (though I went with Shinko mostly cuz of cost and thickness/tread type available at that time). I still use the CST City "slick with edge knobbies" as my 26" front tire for a number of reasons, on everything I've built for a while now. I buy them locally at the closest LBS to me (Gordy's https://www.gordysbicycles.com/service/about/ ).

I do hope you get your bike back (soon, if possible, with all hte bits still on). :(

Here are pics of my stolen Frey. I put a silver and black twist grip throttle on it and I do have the serial number of the battery. Lesson learned, I never took a good photo of the serial number of the bike itself nor did I register it, and I cropped the serial number of the motor out of the photo and didn't save the original. So I may end up relying on a battery serial number to ID it if I ever get the chance.

TNG_7583-1-1000x667.jpg

Attachments

• TNG_7588-1-1000x1500.jpg
    TNG_7588-1-1000x1500.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 2,143
  • TNG_7586-1-1000x667.jpg
    TNG_7586-1-1000x667.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,143
dalysea said:
Here are pics of my stolen Frey. I put a silver and black twist grip throttle on it and I do have the serial number of the battery. Lesson learned, I never took a good photo of the serial number of the bike itself nor did I register it, and I cropped the serial number of the motor out of the photo and didn't save the original. So I may end up relying on a battery serial number to ID it if I ever get the chance.

TNG_7583-1-1000x667.jpg

damn, that sucks. What are the locations for those serial numbers?

dalysea said:
Sad news to report. My Frey AM1000 was stolen last night.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so if anyone from this area sees one riding around or for sale, maybe let me know.

It was white with blue lettering, but I think what makes it unique are the Ching Sheng Tire BFT 27.5 x 3.0 tires. I don't think you normally see CST tires here in USA.

I normally don't keep the battery on it either, but I left it on there that night so the thieves got a 52 volt battery too, argh!

:(

Thanks,
Sean

Thieves suck! I hope you get it back.

If they want your stuff it's almost impossible to stop them, even still, this is why I'm buying $300+ of chain and lock. They'll need to work for it.

Sinbord1981 said:
My AM1000 has been completed. All parts arrived and it shipped out today so it’ll be making its way to me in the UK now. Hopefully it won’t be too long 🙂

Grace has been brilliant throughout. Progress updates and photos during the build, through to seeing it all packed in its box, have kept me excited these last few weeks since I ordered it.

Mine too! And yes, Grace has been awesome. I'm looking for more vids featuring the AM1000 online. There aren't enough (that will hopefully change once I get mine).

I have a feeling it might take a while to get to the UK! We're both across the world from China. (I'm not in the UK but without giving too much info about myself I'm still at another extremity)

Can't wait!

Back