Offroad Scooter recommendations?

1337n00b

1 µW
Hi,

I'm looking for a full suspension scooter for my girlfriend. She's currently riding a Xiaomi M365 which is fine in terms of speed and range (18mph, 18miles range) but it's not comfortable for offroad riding.
The Dualtron scooters look like they work well offroad, but their specs are way overkill for my girlfriend.
Is there something similar in terms of offroad capability but more affordable?

Looking for these specs:
- Suspension and tires suitable for offroad riding
- Ideally dual motor
- Range around 20 miles is fine
- Speed up to 20mph is fine

Thanks for your recommendations!

I assume your Dualtron of choice is high powered with a seat.

https://minimotorsusa.com/products/dualtron-x

Still not what I'd want to be on a rough trail with, or going fast at all. Or pay so much for just THAT.

Maybe:

https://shop.m2sbikes.com/products/all-terrain-electric-fat-bike

If you decide you need to upgrade, it's still not gong to cost what the Dualtron would or be as easy to fall off of.

Just to clarify, I just mean some light offroading like unpaved trails etc.
The stand up scooter form factor is preferred over the bike form factor.

I ride a Samezone scooter. It was around $1800 shipped to my house via boat direct from China.

The suspension is great. I hit unpaved trails in the state park on my nightly commute. At 1600Wx2 It is probably overkill for her, but my wife loves it. I ordered it with street tires which are fine, but you can opt for the off road tires if wanted. I didn't want to hear the hum of knobbies. If you want to limit her, keep it in mode 1 or turn down the maximum power % inside the digital throttle settings. The dual wheel drive is definitely useful in the dirt and grass.

v6XsIXW.jpg

Razor just released a lithium hub motor version of the e300. Kinda pricey for what it is, no suspension but 17mph top speed, gets an hour of riding, I think it's supposed to be water resistant. The tires are inflated so you could drop the pressure a smidge on them and that would add some cushion. $700 is a little steep in my opinion but seems to check some of your boxes.

https://www.razor.com/products/electric-scooters/e-xr-electric-scooter/

kdog said:
Get a kick bike, put an ebike kit on it and she'll be apples :wink:

Agreed. Even 16" kid bike wheels are worlds better and safer than ridiculous donut wheels. Suspension won't help you (or her) when you encounter an edge higher than the axle of the front wheel.

If you must have a scooter rather than a proper bike, go for a scooter with 20" wheels. Why you must have a scooter rather than a real bike is your own disability to deal with.

Scooters are ok on short grass or dust paths etc at slow speed and fairly decent on an uneven tarmac road if you avoid major potholes but any speed runs offroad are out of the question.

I got a kuberg so i could use it offroad without losing my teeth, but on a serious note if you do ride dirt tracks the shock will soon lock your fingers up to the point it feels like artharitus no such thing on the kuberg feels like a motorbike with the dorodos 200mm travel.

I still got a scooter though ive got a dualtron thunder 6.5 hub off aliexpress for £180 to the uk its 60v1600w capable of 70mph if used in a pair but ive got a alloy front wheel custom hub so it wont be going too fast and im using mini moto pmt wet tires with road approving and tubeless and ill get them decently balanced as ive had tyres out of round from cheap suppliers and getting my old scooter to its 48mph top speed was impossible just a crazy mess of bucking bronco.

I want a light weight scooter for convenience around 25kg 35mph vesc controlled and 20 mile range lots of torque for hills, got all the parts made some progress just need to get time on it to get it done by end of august so ill make a move soon.

Depending on your budget you could go for a zero10x my advice is just search for off road scooters on YouTube and there’s quite a few that you can pick from its best to see them in action and show the capabilities

Chalo said:
If you must have a scooter rather than a proper bike, go for a scooter with 20" wheels. Why you must have a scooter rather than a real bike is your own disability to deal with.

Ianhill said:
Scooters are ok on short grass or dust paths etc at slow speed and fairly decent on an uneven tarmac road if you avoid major potholes but any speed runs offroad are out of the question.

You guys obviously missed this thread: :wink:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=97723

Seen it, lovely ride to get around on but I wouldnt be jumping it through a rythem section on a downhill track anytime soon I like my bones, there's a reason why we have high speed motorbikes not scooters imagine a hyabusa scooter or imagine travis prastrana doing all his stuff on a stand up scooter guy be dead.

You can use a shopping cart as an "off road" vehicle, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Ianhill said:
Seen it, lovely ride to get around on but I wouldnt be jumping it through a rythem section on a downhill track anytime soon

Well it's not really the intended use of the OP now, is it?
He's just looking for a scooter for his GF to do some light off road on unpaved roads, not riding down the cliffs of Grand Canyon. :lol:

Dui said:
Ianhill said:
Seen it, lovely ride to get around on but I wouldnt be jumping it through a rythem section on a downhill track anytime soon

Well it's not really the intended use of the OP now, is it?
He's just looking for a scooter for his GF to do some light off road on unpaved roads, not riding down the cliffs of Grand Canyon. :lol:

For an urban environment with changing conditions, his creation is masterwork. There's no way you could navigate your way to work in traffic faster than you could on that.

DjSpaceGhost said:
For an urban environment with changing conditions, his creation is masterwork. There's no way you could [strike]navigate your way to work[/strike] faceplant in traffic faster than you could on that.

Fixed that for you.

PMSL have you riden a fast scooter around 50 mph in traffic ? I have trust me bikes are by far more agile and safer take this from an idiot that still rides them but I know the limit that's why I use a bike.

To get 200mm suspension travel on a scooter means I stand around 8 1/2foot tall if im 6 foot and the battery box is about 6 inchs tall, I then act like a wind sail when the wind gusts you end up across the white line into oncoming traffic at speed you realize at this point ah shit I'm brown bread.

Love the creation top work not knocking him master piece just wouldn't ride it with traffic at speed and the laws in most euro countrys would put an end to it being used ebikes are legal and even allow a little leway for hobbiest but scooters there ain't none, when the plod see you they hunt you and you best not be in a city etc or your toast won't last 10 minutes.

Ianhill said:
PMSL have you riden a fast scooter around 50 mph in traffic ? I have trust me bikes are by far more agile and safer take this from an idiot that still rides them but I know the limit that's why I use a bike.

To get 200mm suspension travel on a scooter means I stand around 8 1/2foot tall if im 6 foot and the battery box is about 6 inchs tall, I then act like a wind sail when the wind gusts you end up across the white line into oncoming traffic at speed you realize at this point ah shit I'm brown bread.

Love the creation top work not knocking him master piece just wouldn't ride it with traffic at speed and the laws in most euro countrys would put an end to it being used ebikes are legal and even allow a little leway for hobbiest but scooters there ain't none, when the plod see you they hunt you and you best not be in a city etc or your toast won't last 10 minutes.

As someone that rides bikes and stand up scooters, there's no freakin way I'm riding one on a 4 lane highway much less freeway at 50+ mph. The area I'm talking about is downtown ,where you rarely see past 35 miles per hour .

In the UK summer time scooters are great when the weather's fine but on more gusty days the lighter folk will be tossed like a rag doll, I only weigh 65kg and stand 5-11 I took my scooter down my street around 45mph got to the bend and the wind blew hard I went straight across the line narrowly missed parked cars mirrors and for the luck of the gods it was quite.

Saying that I'm making a small travel scooter out of a razor e300 to do 35mph small compact simple, 6 inch tall deck 3 inch ground clearance stand 6 foot 8 tall, one dualtron hub stripped it down laced the winding and conformal coated it and got a vesc to run it so I'm not biased like some.

Honest story I sold my scooter the boy who bought it came off and compound fracture his leg bad it looked like bbq ribs hanging out another in here dine his wrist bad they are seriously dodgy even when your used to them I be had a few offs but only cuts and bruises luckily nearly had a pipe through my head on a hump back bridge that I was doing a bucking Bronco over but that was my fault for coming in way to hot and rid it out on the handle bars.

Back