TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

casainho said:
Dirkro said:

Both issues would be solved with a solution above in my opinion.
For my setup with a relative weak 36V batterie , I cannot see the use of this feature.
Yes, that feature is to protect against possible unintentional locking of the pedals.

The feature was working well before but on last beta version has an issue. For the ones that can't live with this issue, please use the latest stable version until this is corrected.

Sorry to say, but I am on last stable (18.2) comming from 10.x but this funktion as it is in 18.2 may make the bike more save for some riders with high power but is not nice with my way of riding. I never felt unsafe with older versions.

What do you think about my ideas for iprovment?
Alternative can you considre to have a flag to switch it off in configuration?

Regards

Dirk

Dirkro said:
casainho said:
Dirkro said:

For my setup with a relative weak 36V batterie , I cannot see the use of this feature.
Yes, that feature is to protect against possible unintentional locking of the pedals.

The feature was working well before but on last beta version has an issue. For the ones that can't live with this issue, please use the latest stable version until this is corrected.

Sorry to say, but I am on last stable (18.2) comming from 10.x but this funktion as it is in 18.2 may make the bike more save for some riders with high power but is not nice with my way of riding. I never felt unsafe with older versions.

Regards

Dirk
It is supposed to work well, to ignore if you keep foot on pedals when assistance startup without pedaling is disabled. If it is enable, then you should not keep the foot on the pedal or at least keep keep braking if resting the foot on the pedals. What is happening to you?

casainho said:
Dirkro said:
casainho said:
Dirkro said:

Regards

Dirk
It is supposed to work well, to ignore if you keep foot on pedals when assistance startup without pedaling is disabled. If it is enable, then you should not keep the foot on the pedal or at least keep keep braking if resting the foot on the pedals. What is happening to you?

I am holding the brakes, (Old Hydraulic Hayes 9 DH breakes with 200 disks, but not compatible to sensor) of course!
But my foot is just resting on the pedal without pushing. Thats why I am asking for a threshold!

Dirkro said:
I am holding the brakes, (Old Hydraulic Hayes 9 DH breakes with 200 disks, but not compatible to sensor) of course!
But my foot is just resting on the pedal without pushing. Thats why I am asking for a threshold!
The idea is not adding new features that brings more complexity. I want to keep firmware stable and that means be very careful with bringing new features.

You should not rest on pedals or you can do it when you install the cheap generic ebike magnet brake sensors that works on any brakes including hydraulic -- see on TSDZ2 wiki or on youtube on how to install them.

cnrd said:
I have been trying to contact electrifybike about buying one of their female 1 to 4 cables, but I'm not getting a reply from them.

Sorry cnrd and anyone else I have missed. I needed a break so I took a few weeks to kayak a river in Southern Utah. If you or anyone else on this forum want any of the flexible open source products on electrifybike just PM me. If you are in North America it is easier to just use the website to order.

I can confirm that magnetic brakes (8$ on pswpower) are really beneficial on this motor for various reasons, for instance unintentional start at traffic lights due to foot on pedals or some other failure.. it acts as a switch that disconnect the motor.
I have two on the MTB connected to the LCD3 and one (home made) connected to the city bike directly on the back of the stock VLCD5 display.
It's a bit more complicated to connect them to the LCD3 because you need to splice and solder the wires into the main cable from display to the motor, easier on the VLCD5 because you connect directly on the ports of the display.
Anyway I strongly recommend to install the brake sensors, specially on a MTB also to prevent blue gear stripping.
Cheers

perryscope said:
Interesting I have been using the release.bat batch file from within the src code zip files here https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases to compile the display and controller source into .ihx files and the batch file it simply copied them into .HEX fires using a simple file copy and rename, so the resulting files were smaller than the released .HEX files. that explains things!

I updated my releaste.bat file so changed the lines...

COPY .\src\controller\main.ihx %release_folder%\TSDZ2-v%new_version%.hex
to ...
packihx .\src\controller\main.ihx > %release_folder%\TSDZ2-v%new_version%.hex

and

COPY .\src\display\KT-LCD3\main.ihx %release_folder%\KT-LCD3-v%new_version%.hex
packihx .\src\display\KT-LCD3\main.ihx > %release_folder%\KT-LCD3-v%new_version%.hex

Now they are converted using packihx and are the correct size.

Do you think the release.bat file should do this, or does it really not matter?
Like I say the existing smaller ihx files renamed to .hex files flashed fine using ST Visual Programmer

I have not given it much thought until now. After your testing this certainly is interesting. What I think(!) packihx does is to ensure the structure is valid and remove unnecessary data. IHX is a database file. It seems to be possible to just COPY from .ihx to .hex without any problems, at least in our use case this is as valid as using packihx.

But it probably is best to use packihx as it is developed for a reason. I have always used it in my scripts instead of COPY. The bat files could be changed and included in my next pull request, and of course credited to you, perryscope.

Edit:

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* packihx.c:
* utility to pack an Intel HEX format file by removing redundant
* extended offset records and accumulating data records up to
* OUTPUT_CHUNK (currently 16) bytes.
* Released to the public domain 10/16/2000 Kevin Vigor.
*/

http://svn.code.sf.net/p/sdcc/code/trunk/sdcc/

http://svn.code.sf.net/p/sdcc/code/trunk/sdcc/support/

http://svn.code.sf.net/p/sdcc/code/trunk/sdcc/support/packihx/

bart594 said:
Hi buba,

i have one request for next release(s) which i find interesting for all users - trial/emtb mode like on bikes with brose or bosch motors. It is described here:
https://ebike-mtb.com/en/emtb-mode-bosch-cx-review/

To use trial mode user needs to set assist to factor >10 on one of assist levels and in the code on motor controller side it will look like this
if(m_configuration_variables.ui8_assist_level_factor_x10 > 9) then ->trial mode where
ui16_pedal_power_x10 <10% -> ui8_assist_level_factor_x10 = 0.3
10% < ui16_pedal_power_x10 <15% -> ui8_assist_level_factor_x10 = 0.5
15% < ui16_pedal_power_x10 <20% -> ui8_assist_level_factor_x10 = 0.7
and so on

This way this mode can be set up freely under one of assist level from 1-9 and final setup could looks like this:
assist level 1 - eco mode- let's say factor 0.3 for assistance,
then assist level 2 - trial where assistance depends on pedal power and varies between 0.3-3.2x
and assist level 3 - boost mode - 3.0x,
assist level 4 - 3.5x
and so on

For brose motors assistance in trial mode looks like on the screen (Eingabe - torque/pedal power and Leistung - % of motor assistance level which is our power motor factor )
In every review of bikes with this motor one of best thing that is always mentioned is the ride feeling that is very smooth and natural in this mode So having this feature can make our bikes closer to the 5000 USD and up machines ;)

Interesting and can't help but wonder how this feels. Would definitely be fun to try out! It is always possible to make a simple prototype version in the future!

casainho said:
Dirkro said:
The idea is not adding new features that brings more complexity. I want to keep firmware stable and that means be very careful with bringing new features.

You should not rest on pedals or you can do it when you install the cheap generic ebike magnet brake sensors that works on any brakes including hydraulic -- see on TSDZ2 wiki or on youtube on how to install them.

Today happend again in the woods,
Want to start a climb after pusing the bike, I was two times not fast enough to turn the pedal when going onto the bike (not usng brakes).
Please tell me where is the code for this? , maybe have to fork to make tests if it is possible to make a "min Value" for the torque (maybe 10%)
I know, every rider is different, for me this is quite anoying,

Dirkro said:
casainho said:
Dirkro said:

Want to start a climb after pusing the bike, I was two times not fast enough to turn the pedal when going onto the bike (not usng brakes).
Please tell me where is the code for this? , maybe have to fork to make tests if it is possible to make a "min Value" for the torque (maybe 10%)
See safe_tests() on ebike_app.c file.

Dirkro said:
casainho said:
Dirkro said:

See safe_tests() on ebike_app.c file.

I removed the motherboard of the controller without damaging it because I want to mod it replacing some cables. If someone is interested I'll post some pictures.

e3s said:
I removed the motherboard of the controller without damaging it because I want to mod it replacing some cables. If someone is interested I'll post some pictures.

Please do that.

Can I use the connector from the lights cable to solder it to KT-LCD3 and connect to motor? I don't want to cut the connector from the motor to solder directly or cut off the VLCD5 connector.

Seen here:
v3dzrVd.png

Thanks, found out. Guess I will just butch the connector to reuse the pins and then plug it in.

Edit: made the connector (used this picture, hope it's correct: https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=239409&mode=view)

LbQBLIb.jpg

I'll use this post to make a wiki about extracting the motherboard of the controller.

first, remove this 2 screws
lpCbQiSm.jpg

in the bottom there are two crosshead screws that in the photo I already removed
FrSwl8cm.jpg

go back and remove all screws
take a screwdriver or something of similar and begin to remove the liquid rubber that seals the hole where pass all cables. I suggest to remove it well otherwise the cables will not pass.
It's better to remove cables one at a time. I removed the battery cable to last.
Now the controller is free.
Remove in the side of the controller the screw that hold the sensor (this photo is on loan eheh)
KMWj11wm.jpg

Now it's better to use a tool of plastic or a piece of wood to remove part of sealant.
Remove well the sealant that cover the mosfets and a screw in the bottom. This photo is for reference.
AE83IiEm.jpg

Now with a tool pass it all arond the controller. It goes well a ice cream stick.
This part is invasive.
take a hacksaw, or a dremel, it's better a hacksaw because you have more control.
cut part of the shield. do not cut at the height of the mosfets because it is a bit more difficult to cut and to remove the board. it is better to cut lower.
The side to cut is opposite to the one where the sensor was screwed in. So you have an access to the lower side.
sPDNJC1m.jpg

With pacience, leverage with a tool to lift the block of sealant. Don't damage it, just detach it. it will come away whole.

About the connection,it is impossible to remove them without desoldering, Before desoldering, remove all sealant, also passing a cotton wire under the connections. Apparently, they look like ports to be disconnected, but instead they are soldered connections. So don't try to pull them. The cables near the ground wire are difficult to desolder. The rest is easier. There's need of a soldering iron that reaches high temperatures. I used mine at 400° using also the soldering flux. At 300° they don't come off.

How close useable 850c implementation is?
I came to a point when I need to start ordering.

Hello, Just wanted to ask the status of the various development.
As far as I remember the v.0.19 beta was about to turn to the stable version, as well as the LCD3 updates.. but no news in the last weeks from the developers.

And what's the status of the other displays (850c and 102)?

Thanks a lot!

thineight said:
Hello, Just wanted to ask the status of the various development.
As far as I remember the v.0.19 beta was about to turn to the stable version, as well as the LCD3 updates.. but no news in the last weeks from the developers.

And what's the status of the other displays (850c and 102)?

Thanks a lot!
I personally I am not finding time to work on the firmware. Maybe because this year, during this nice months, I am being riding on mountains, etc. On winter I tend to ride less and then I have more free time.

This is what I know:
- LCD3 firmware: I think Buba is available to correct bugs and there are no planned new features (even because the programming memory is full!)
- TSDZ2 motor controller firmware: the big improvement from latest stable version is the removing of motor resistance when pushing the bicycle backwards. In the process, other bugs did appear and they need energy to solve them. I think Buba will try to help on this.
- LCD 850C firmware: I did not working on it lately but I think I should make a version with fixed numeric fields and graphs, as adding options to customize variables will take s lot of work. For the graph, I want to make it show the human pedal power. For numeric fields, for sure I want pedal cadence, motor power -- what should be the other 2?
- LCD SW102 Bluetooth and mobile app: I think there are about 4 developers working on it, where 1 is specifically developing the Android mobile app.

Yes, I am being riding with my family and we love it. And now about one of the most dramatic experiences we had recently. While we were riding, we found a Smart car overturned and inside an old woman - that was on a trail that almost no one pass. We found at 14h but the woman was there stuck since the previous night. She was fragile and gave her water and after my sweetened juice that I; always carry with me on my bicycle trips. The firefighters and police were very fast and the woman was ok, everything went well in the end.

Oh wow! Superhero by day and superprogrammer by night. She is very lucky. Glad you were there for her.

Hi all,
i have a TSDZ2 with the Accelerator. Do you think is it possibile flashing the Firmware by connecting the St-link to the Accelerator connector instead of the Speed sensor connector?
Thanks.
Fabio

Back