Qulbix Q140MD - any experience?

Mine does 56 kph on the speedo. I've de-tuned the full power mode a little now as I honestly couldn't control it properly in more technical sections, so now it does 47 kph on the speedo. I can tune it back up and do a top-speed run with GPS logging just for fun if I remember it :)

The max speed at full charge is about ~50-53. Once the voltage drops it decreases to about 45.
I calibrated it based on GPS speed. You need to do that in the CA if you change the chainring.If you need more speed go with the "mid" one. I sadly can't do that yet because it overheats way quicker.My ride becomes annoying because I have to stop multiple times.

Thank you.

They are shipping it with the mid installed. I am hoping for 43-45mph out of it. With my body weight of 77kg (naked, so likely 80kg with clothes and helmet) with things I bring along maybe another to 10-11 kg hopefully there is not overheating....The additional 10 kg is going to work on concrete minor hills and gravel nothing technical at all. I will have the rear bracket Ben had a pic of with the same brands medium sized bag. It will have various things in it.

When I take it off road for fun on more technical ride, I imagine I will have maybe 3 to 4kg of extra stuff with me and will not have the above stated bracket installed on the bike.

Another forest ride today :) Man I love this thing! I have, however, discovered that I hate pedals ;) Smacked my foot into them last time, and this time I had two pedal strikes when I inadvertently had one pedal too low, and I also managed to smack the back of my leg into a pedal somehow. Reckon I will be ordering the footpeg kit from Qulbix as soon as possible, from my riding so far it doesn't seem like it will attract any more attention in any case :)

I had the GoPro angled too low for this trip, so half the footage was useless, but I thought someone may be interested in this trail footage anyway, so here is one unedited clip from the trip. It starts with a nice flowing section, and then turns into some fairly rutted single track towards the end. As I stated in the last post, I would have loved to have had pegs during this, lots of narrow sections where the pedals got in the way. Seems I am a motocross rider at heart ;)

[youtube]Rh2vap68C8Y[/youtube]

It will be hard to explain the police what this is without pedals :D. Pedals are shit for sure once you tried the footpegs,but you can get used to it.I destroyed the dnm fork last week,seems like I need a new one :( small bump sensitivity is basically gone even at low speed.The bump must be at least 1-2cm to get the fork moving. My wrist hurts now after jumps like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEYewCPJFg&list=PL7-1fOIXjKVhpx-uopCYwywPw-pu7zi9Z&index=1

I thought the pedals would be important to me, but from the reactions I've had so far people don't seem to care much as long as I ride sensibly. If I was using it in the city it would be a different matter, but as I see it the bike is illegal anyways, may as well make it better to ride ;) And getting rid of that clicking noise from the freewheel on the pedals will be heaven :D

Your fork looks broken, it bottomed out haaard on that last slow-mo jump! Keep us posted on what you swap it out with and how you find it works :) Might be interested in doing the same myself next year, but as Qulbix said the turning radius might be compromised, the offset on the DNM's triple clamps is pretty big compared to most bike forks from what I can tell. A set of fox 40's would look cool though :p

Check out the DVO Emerald as a replacement.

26” wheels make aftermarket forks a real pain as most forks are for 27 or 29. The DNM does seem to be the standard though. They come stock on the Stealth B52 too. Guess just change to a 27?

Down the line I’ll consider something else. Potentially the Fox Ebike line of forks, DVO or ? But, once you hit those levels you are looking at $1000 to $1500 for a fork. I’ll just see how this does for now. Me being me, I would have to buy the matching rear shock too, so another $450+....

DVO Emerald has similar crown offset like a FOX 40

Rockshox boxxer test fit. It's not bad at all!

wwZZsVI.jpg

HIuh8Wx.jpg

The DNM crown has about 29mm offset
cH7mFp6.png

With a crown offset kit like this the FOX40/Boxxer could have similar turning.
https://outsiderbikes.com/products/fox-40-adjustable-offset-crown-kit

Folowing this with interest! I don't find the DNM forks to be too bad, but I will admit that higher speeds over very bumpy/rocky terrain they can feel a bit harsher than I'm used to from my motorcycle experience in similar conditions. Could be interested in an upgrade next year depending on how I get on ther rest of this season :)

Interesting.....ya, I considered having Qulbix just install something like the DVO, Fox or whatever I decided along with a new matching rear shock. It just got too expensive after the final quote not including those items. I got hit really hard on the shipping to the USA and all the little things I need to buy such as a high end bike lock, bike rack like Bens etc etc. I am looking at another $1200usd in fees and incilary things that I had not calculated for, so decided just to stick with DNM. I think it will be fine given my weight and what I am trying to do with the bike...for now.

That said, I did look into things a bit....Engate are you switching to a 27" front rim? I went all over the place online to look at forks and 90%+ are meant for 27 or 29 (another reason I decided to bag it for now, it appeared things were only going to get more complicated and I did not want to delay shipment hahaha). Are you going to replace the rear shock too?

I won't switch to a 27.5 rim. 26" looks ugly already with the 19" rear wheel. There isn't a huge difference. You can use the 26" wheel with the 27.5 fork.And yes I wanna switch the rear shock too. It's not a must tho.. it works pretty well.but not as well as a FOX DHX2 :lol:

Because you live in the USA you can get a FOX 40 26" for a very low price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-FOX-F...341539&hash=item214dfbaa4a:g:mCEAAOSwGIZcCYZ~

Just the price you know..in the EU total would be around 3200$

Interesting. What is the difference between that and their E-Bike forks? Would the E-bike line not be better?

That price is good. Insane that it is $3200usd where you are at.

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=36e

That e-bike fork is probably bit a beefier than a normal one. But it's still not as strong as a FOX40 :)

Hmm. Ya, I need to learn more about shocks. I noticed the shock you posted sold! Hopefully I can find another. I figured the Ebike 36 would have been better. Shows how much I know!

For now, I will just use what’s on the bike. Still have not got the damn thing yet lol. Hopefully it will ship next week. It was at paint last week. Fingers crossed!

Yeah the DNM is good for general use. I destroyed mine this week. It's leaking oil and losing air pressure. :lol: DNM quality..That fox 40 sold out really really fast,about 1-2 people bought one every day.Including me. I'll post some pictures once I installed it.The rear shock is getting replaced as well with a FOX DHX2 with 700 lbs spring so it can take the big jumps without bottoming out.

If you come across another Fox 40 in 26 close to that price that would work with our bike please let me know. I might just grab it.

Can't see any issue with getting a Fox 40 27.5 and running a 26 inch tire in it? The 27.5 is much easier to find, and would give more space between the tire and a mudguard so you could run beefy tread patterns :)

Keen to hear how you get on with the Fox 40, engate, as it is almost 10x the price of the DNM forks I'd hope it is a noticeable step up! :)

Yeah the 27.5 should be fine.

Both the fork and the rear shock has arrived along with the dropper offset crown.

Front fork has been installed without any issues.Turning angle is just slightly less.
I'll need to re-design the 3d printed CA3 mount.I installed it with the original mount for now.I ordered a 31.8 direct mount stem as well (the bottom of it must be fully flat) because there are some clearance issues.

To install the DHX2 rear shock I need an approx 40mm hardware kit. I went for the closest 39,88mm.
The 3.19 x 700lbs spring is too long for the 9.5 x 3 dhx2 sadly. So I ordered a 650lbs instead.

Next week i'll finish the bike and i'll show you guys how it looks with everything installed :)

For now:

tN6uqB1.jpg

CV6MApG.jpg

1q8jdol.jpg

That Fox 40 looks great! Let me know if you see another deal like that. There is one for sale for retail right now on EBay. I have offered that same price (899) and they have declined. I’m not taking the plunge of 1700 when I have not tried the DNM yet. I’m sure for now, it will be fine.

My bike is finished and will be on its way Monday!

I am hoping I have it on or before the 14th. Hopefully Customs is a breeze. Fingers crossed.

JP_1.jpg

Congrats on the new bike, hopefully it will arrive quickly! I just did a 4 hour ride this weekend together with a friend on a regular e mountainbike, fun to see how the two compare. My Q140MD was of course much faster up hill, but downhill we were pretty evenly matched, and I didn't feel like I had to go super slow to keep his pace on the more technical sections either.

Post some more vids guys!

My bike, unfortunately, has not even left the “front door” yet. FedEx in Slovenia has reviewing it and they have been in possession of it since Monday. Fingers crossed it gets released tomorrow

Mine is currently unoperational. I bent the rear shock mount axles. I had to cut one with an angle grinder unfortunately.A lot of hard landings with too soft spring..

Regarding the fox 40,it's so much better! It takes hard landings softly. The DNM bottoms out really hard.Stiffness is also superior.The dnm flexes a lot when you touch the front brake,the fox 40 doesn't.small bump sensitivity & comfort is also spot on with the fox 40 if it's at the right pressure (I'm using it at max pressure so it can take hard landings atm).

So I don't regret it at all,it was a great deal :D It's way better.

YihwhZa.jpg

guSCV5t.jpg

The fox 40 looks really cool!

I will post more videos once mine is up and running again, I finished off a ride last weekend with a big crash unfortunately! Was knackered after the ride so I decided to let the motor help me get the bike up on the ramp behind my Land Cruiser... managed to give it a handful of unintentional throttle and launched the bike off the back of the truck, 3 meters away from the car to a hard landing on its side.

To the bikes credit it actually survived pretty well! I scraped up the throttle, moved the bars but didn't bend them, bent the right hand side crank and pedal, and dented the side panel. Given the height of the drop I would have expected much much worse!

Got the throttle cleaned up and took a test ride yesterday, the bike still tracks nice and straight and works fine :) Just need to either straighten the side panel or order a new one. Thankfully my motocross footpegs should arrive shortly so the pedals will no longer be needed ;)

Back