Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Offroader said:
Unless you plan to keep the stock controller, why would you want to use only 16S? I would say you are better off using 18s or 20s.

The sur-ron controller has an OK top speed, but it would be nicer if it would be just a little faster. This is why I plan on using 20s, that would bring the top speed from maybe 44MPH to 50MPH.

You can always use overdrive, but that just overheats the motor and wastes energy.
The asi bac videos make me think the stock controller doesn't have field weakening. The sur rons in videos rotinely go up to 55-60 on just 18 or 20s.

Did some testing with the Vesc 75/300 on my streetlegal Version.
Works fine with 14S 16ah Lipos (will be 32ah when finished) at the moment although the Vesc can handle 16S. Regen is now possible and because of FOC the motor is more quiet. App showed me 8,5kw peak at 300phaseamps. Not sure if these values are correct. I will keep on testing and trying to get more out of it :)

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 3,503
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 3,503
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 3,503
Tommm said:
The asi bac videos make me think the stock controller doesn't have field weakening. The sur rons in videos rotinely go up to 55-60 on just 18 or 20s.

There was some mention that the X controller had field weakening, but that seems very unlikely. The X controller has exactly the same top speed as the stock controller. I tested them back to back. So, I'd say no field weakening.

n2mb said:
Tommm said:

There was some mention that the X controller had field weakening, but that seems very unlikely. The X controller has exactly the same top speed as the stock controller. I tested them back to back. So, I'd say no field weakening.

Luna's testing of the X Controller had a top speed of 52-MPH (83 kph) compared to 47-MPH (75 kph) with the stock controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-hY30xl-rs&t=331s

3DTOPO said:
n2mb said:
Tommm said:

Luna's testing of the X Controller had a top speed of 52-MPH (83 kph) compared to 47-MPH (75 kph) with the stock controller:

Definitely not on the x controllers they actually shipped. I have one. Same top speed within 0.5 mph, verified by gps. Same road, same state of charge.

n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:
n2mb said:
Tommm said:

Definitely not on the x controllers they actually shipped. I have one. Same top speed within 0.5 mph, verified by gps. Same road, same state of charge.

Mine has noticeably more torque. I haven't ever got it up to top speed - so I don't know one way or the other if it has more top speed. Maybe I'll see how fast I can get it and post back (I've never been on a paved road with it).

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89902&start=2575#p1426384

Madin: Never measured the case nor the slot but here is another old photo
IMG_5365.jpg
Usually ppl just throw the stock case out and put the batteries down wrapped in some tape/heat shrink
photo_2019-05-16_01-01-16.jpg

I think we should start a motorcycle gang, I mean club, for Sur-ron owners. I wonder what a large swarm of Light Bees would sound like taking off all at the same time?

killer beez jacket2a.jpg

dirkdiggler said:
I just bought a dnm, to replace the fastace after a year of riding. Blown seals. I had an x-fusion rv1 on auction that got snipped for $350. Another fork that might be good is the marzocchi 380. It's made by Fox. They sell for $500 new on eBay.

The marzocchi is a much smother ride than the Fox 40. The Fox 40 is more ridged and will take more abuse and better at higher speeds for lateral force. I have 2 Sur rons. One with FOX Factory 40 29" and Fox DHX2 with light weight 400 coil with Saint M820 brakes. second bike.... marzocchi front with Ohlins for the rear with TRP Quadiem Brakes. Fox looks sexy but i prefer the second bike to ride. ASI 4000 84v. Building 92v Sur Ron with BOSCH 20 kW motor with larger swing arm. Anyone using 21700 yet in a pack?

Allex said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89902&start=2575#p1426384

Madin: Never measured the case nor the slot but here is another old photo
IMG_5365.jpg
Usually ppl just throw the stock case out and put the batteries down wrapped in some tape/heat shrink
photo_2019-05-16_01-01-16.jpg
What kind of fork and rear shock is on this surron?

ebikeguy123 said:
dirkdiggler said:
I just bought a dnm, to replace the fastace after a year of riding. Blown seals. I had an x-fusion rv1 on auction that got snipped for $350. Another fork that might be good is the marzocchi 380. It's made by Fox. They sell for $500 new on eBay.

The marzocchi is a much smother ride than the Fox 40. The Fox 40 is more ridged and will take more abuse and better at higher speeds for lateral force. I have 2 Sur rons. One with FOX Factory 40 29" and Fox DHX2 with light weight 400 coil with Saint M820 brakes. second bike.... marzocchi front with Ohlins for the rear with TRP Quadiem Brakes. Fox looks sexy but i prefer the second bike to ride. ASI 4000 84v. Building 92v Sur Ron with BOSCH 20 kW motor with larger swing arm. Anyone using 21700 yet in a pack?

First question is what do you prefer better the TRP Quadiem Brakes or the Saint M820 brakes? Trying to make a decision on these two brakes.

Yes the Marzocchi 888 is a really smooth fork, I have used one on my other bike and it is still smooth and has never caused me a single issue. If the two new forks I bought suck, I may just as well take my Marzocchi 888 from my other bike and put it on my Sur-Ron.

I agree with the Fox forks not being the greatest. However, there were many reasons why I purchased the Fox 40. First It was discounted nicely, no way I would pay $1600 for it. It is the last 26" Downhill size fork it seems Fox will sell as they discontinued all 26" size dual crown forks.
The other reason is that I want to try out the air spring. Sometimes I like to take huge jumps to flat ground and I bottom out my suspension so easily. What the fox 40 with air spring might allow me to do is pump it up with higher PSI so that it may make these kind of jumps easier. You see the air spring may give me much more adjustability because I'm not going to be swapping coil springs often if ever. I can finally see how different spring rates affect the handling of the bike in different conditions.
The other reason I bought the Fox 40 is supposedly you can buy an avalanche conversion coil kit for the fox 40, this is supposed to be some of the best suspension setup you could buy. So basically if the air spring sucks, I can upgrade the Fox40 to a coil spring, I will have one of the most ridged fork out there and also with a smooth lower maintenance coil spring.

Again, look forward to which brakes you like better.

Just wanted to update on the Crunching noise and headset installation.

I ordered the cane creek 40 headset from Luna and finally installed the headset. I've installed cane creek 40's a couple of times on other bikes and I must say that it is a really tedious job. It is simply just not fun getting those cups squeezed in.
I did order some cup installation tools to make the job go smoother, probably a waste of money. I ordered the crown race and cup installation tools, all 3.
https://www.canecreek.com/product/headset-tools/

It takes an incredible amount of force to get these cups into the head tube. I probably should buy a proper headset press next time as using threaded rod and wood makes the cups go in very uneven. I have to keep unloosening everything and moving the threaded rod to the other side to get it in. That being said I did get the headset in finally.

I did all that work and spent all that money and guess what, the noise is still there. My stock Sur-Ron headset was fine. The noise is from the Killah fork. What I'm thinking is this just fork stiction? The first inch of travel makes a loud creaking crunch noise every time? My Marzocchi 888 never made this noise.

Was kind of pissed for a few minutes that I did all that work for nothing, but then I remembered that I have two new forks and will need crown races. I don't know how difficult it will be to find crown races that will fit the Sur-Ron stock headset.

Maybe some of you can comment if you hold your front brake and push the bike forward to compress the fork about an inch, if you get noise from the Killah fork? It should make a creaking/cracking/crunching noise every time you do this. I'm kind of thinking this fork is so damn cheap that I actually broke or loosened something internally like the bushings. I was doing a lot of hard riding, like riding into stairs at higher speeds to climb them. I wonder if I just damaged the fork or loosened something internally that caused play and then that creaking/cracking noise.

The bushings in the top of the fork are rooted, where the stanchions slide into the lowers.
I just went through this with my RST's and upgraded the forks
May they RIP. They held up longer than I thought they would.
You can get the crow race off the RST's with patience and persistance to transplant onto a new fork.

Yeah it is really a cheap fork for it to break that easily. My Marzocchi 888 had way more abuse on it and never had any issues. Took just a few rides for the RST Killah fork to break.

I assume there is no way to fix this. What worries me is if this broke so easily maybe the new forks I just bought will break easily also.

Got home with only 2% today and although it was pouring rain, I wanted more :D
Installed a higher rise handlebar (I got the 780mm 70mm riser for about 30 EUR, I think the name is Ergotec if any of other Europeans are interested in upgrading) today and it handles so well now that I just didn't want to stop riding.

So I'm finding out that I need more range. No real need for more power, but as much more range as possible.
Does it make sense to tear apart the stock battery and try to stuff more cells in the enclosure, or is the energy density of the stock cells too low?
Come to think of it, I'm a fool and would rather entrust this to someone who knows what they're doing, instead of burning my house down. Do any of our members sell upgraded batteries and ship inside EU? I think Allex showed a better battery some time ago,
are you selling those?

Maybe someone can help me out also,

I'm almost done with my 2nd Sur-Ron charger. I am wondering why the Sur-Ron uses a 3 prong connector for the charger.

I can't think of any reason why they would use a 3 prong connector because unless its 4 prong to help split the current, there is no benefit. Is there some other reason why they used a 3 ?

Thanks, here is a picture of the Sur-Ron charge connector I am talking about.
jAwDAEC.jpg

There is some kind of signal on the third pin. I suspect it shuts off the charger if the battery is too hot. But the charger will run with the third wire disconnected.

Offroader said:
Yeah it is really a cheap fork for it to break that easily. My Marzocchi 888 had way more abuse on it and never had any issues. Took just a few rides for the RST Killah fork to break.

I assume there is no way to fix this. What worries me is if this broke so easily maybe the new forks I just bought will break easily also.

I have Marzocchi on my Sur Ron now for a year. No issues.

Offroader said:
Just wanted to update on the Crunching noise and headset installation.

I ordered the cane creek 40 headset from Luna and finally installed the headset. I've installed cane creek 40's a couple of times on other bikes and I must say that it is a really tedious job. It is simply just not fun getting those cups squeezed in.
I did order some cup installation tools to make the job go smoother, probably a waste of money. I ordered the crown race and cup installation tools, all 3.
https://www.canecreek.com/product/headset-tools/

It takes an incredible amount of force to get these cups into the head tube. I probably should buy a proper headset press next time as using threaded rod and wood makes the cups go in very uneven. I have to keep unloosening everything and moving the threaded rod to the other side to get it in. That being said I did get the headset in finally.

I did all that work and spent all that money and guess what, the noise is still there. My stock Sur-Ron headset was fine. The noise is from the Killah fork. What I'm thinking is this just fork stiction? The first inch of travel makes a loud creaking crunch noise every time? My Marzocchi 888 never made this noise.

Was kind of pissed for a few minutes that I did all that work for nothing, but then I remembered that I have two new forks and will need crown races. I don't know how difficult it will be to find crown races that will fit the Sur-Ron stock headset.

Maybe some of you can comment if you hold your front brake and push the bike forward to compress the fork about an inch, if you get noise from the Killah fork? It should make a creaking/cracking/crunching noise every time you do this. I'm kind of thinking this fork is so damn cheap that I actually broke or loosened something internally like the bushings. I was doing a lot of hard riding, like riding into stairs at higher speeds to climb them. I wonder if I just damaged the fork or loosened something internally that caused play and then that creaking/cracking noise.

You probably would have had to replace the head tube bearings eventually anyway. I have 2 bikes and both had to be replaced. I had to replace the forks as well. the rest of the bike seems solid ... replaced the breaks with shimano M820 metal pads. original breaks both leaked within 2 weeks.

Offroader said:
ebikeguy123 said:
dirkdiggler said:

First question is what do you prefer better the TRP Quadiem Brakes or the Saint M820 brakes? Trying to make a decision on these two brakes.

Yes the Marzocchi 888 is a really smooth fork, I have used one on my other bike and it is still smooth and has never caused me a single issue. If the two new forks I bought suck, I may just as well take my Marzocchi 888 from my other bike and put it on my Sur-Ron.

I agree with the Fox forks not being the greatest. However, there were many reasons why I purchased the Fox 40. First It was discounted nicely, no way I would pay $1600 for it. It is the last 26" Downhill size fork it seems Fox will sell as they discontinued all 26" size dual crown forks.
The other reason is that I want to try out the air spring. Sometimes I like to take huge jumps to flat ground and I bottom out my suspension so easily. What the fox 40 with air spring might allow me to do is pump it up with higher PSI so that it may make these kind of jumps easier. You see the air spring may give me much more adjustability because I'm not going to be swapping coil springs often if ever. I can finally see how different spring rates affect the handling of the bike in different conditions.
The other reason I bought the Fox 40 is supposedly you can buy an avalanche conversion coil kit for the fox 40, this is supposed to be some of the best suspension setup you could buy. So basically if the air spring sucks, I can upgrade the Fox40 to a coil spring, I will have one of the most ridged fork out there and also with a smooth lower maintenance coil spring.

I prefer the saint breaks. easy to maintain and get pads for. i like a one or two finger lever... that way i have a better hold of the handlebar.

I have the two bikes for two different riding preferences. Fox is for higher speed and for more extreme off road. Ohlins is for lighter off road and touring with my Bob Ibex trailer in the tropics.

ebikeguy123 said:
Offroader said:
ebikeguy123 said:
dirkdiggler said:

I prefer the saint breaks. easy to maintain and get pads for. i like a one or two finger lever... that way i have a better hold of the handlebar.

I have the two bikes for two different riding preferences. Fox is for higher speed and for more extreme off road. Ohlins is for lighter off road and touring with my Bob Ibex trailer in the tropics.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ridden-and-rated-5-four-piston-brakes.html

Duncan75 said:
Installed a higher rise handlebar (I got the 780mm 70mm riser for about 30 EUR, I think the name is Ergotec if any of other Europeans are interested in upgrading) today and it handles so well now that I just didn't want to stop riding.

So I'm finding out that I need more range. No real need for more power, but as much more range as possible.
Does it make sense to tear apart the stock battery and try to stuff more cells in the enclosure, or is the energy density of the stock cells too low?
Come to think of it, I'm a fool and would rather entrust this to someone who knows what they're doing, instead of burning my house down. Do any of our members sell upgraded batteries and ship inside EU? I think Allex showed a better battery some time ago,
are you selling those?
I get 70km range in eco 100% down to 4%battery, sport mode eats amps so you wil see 40/50km range.
The 2900mah cells are good and have a long life, you can use 3350mah 35E/GA cells and have some more WH,s for the first 50 cycles :lol: i think the a good samsung/LG/Panasonic cell 2800/2900mah is the best you can get for normal riding when you dont need more power/speed. 16S-21P: 60Ah/3.4Kwh wil give you a nice range.....the original battery case is to small to make a save battery with more Ah. The same case with a lengt of 50cm/500mm will wurk perfect :bolt:

Joachim said:
Duncan75 said:

are you selling those?
I get 70km range in eco 100% down to 4%battery, sport mode eats amps so you wil see 40/50km range.
The 2900mah cells are good and have a long life, you can use 3350mah 35E/GA cells and have some more WH,s for the first 50 cycles :lol: i think the a good samsung/LG/Panasonic cell 2800/2900mah is the best you can get for normal riding when you dont need more power/speed. 16S-21P: 60Ah/3.4Kwh wil give you a nice range.....the original battery case is to small to make a save battery with more Ah. The same case with a lengt of 50cm/500mm will wurk perfect :bolt:

if you built a pack with 21700 cells... what would be the results for range and power? Aybody try putting capacitors in as part of the mix for regen and takoff? https://www.maxwell.com

Just got my Sur Ron X today but for some reason it doesnt want to go over 21 km/h. The green/black wire isnt cut so I'm stumped as to what it could be. Any idea what might be wrong here? Is there a screw I need to adjust somewhere?

Observeder said:
Just got my Sur Ron X today but for some reason it doesnt want to go over 21 km/h. The green/black wire isnt cut so I'm stumped as to what it could be. Any idea what might be wrong here? Is there a screw I need to adjust somewhere?

where did you get the bike? usa or eu, did you ask the dealer?? I think there was some talk of changing how the bikes were (de)restricted..

Back