DIY Fix for BBS02/BBSHD Pedal/Throttle Issue

If I have throttle connector (female and male) can I make a less intrusive modification like a jumper?

Actually, I have a spare main harness I could use to make a jumper.

If possible, can someone draw a schamatic?

The throttle connectors will let you avoid digging into the potting, but you still need to make the transistor circuit and tap into the PAS connector inside the controller. Schematic is on page 1.

Hello - My sincere thanks to all concerned for posting this fix. I ordered several transistors and resistors from Mouser, received them today, and installed as directed in early pages. IT WORKS! I am color blind as hell and asked for assistance at one point from my color consultant but other than that, I took it slow and careful. I am really stoked to have my smooth integrated throttle/PAS again. I did the external splice (no digging through the potting compound) to the throttle wire, drilled a small hole, and followed the directions on the black and gray wires to the PAS. FWIW I have an after market Ludicrous controller (I.E. it wasn't installed a ready made bike from Luna) and the glitchy PAS/throttle thing was pretty much an 'either/or' deal. It feels really good to have the extra power applied nice and smooth, as it should be. Again, thanks to all concerned but particularly Rassy and Fechter who kind of started and advanced the fix.

Glad to hear it worked out. I just wish it didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

On the mountain trails, I mostly use PAS 0 and use the throttle only. On the street, the PAS is nice to give my throttle hand a rest.

sanjuro said:
can you link where i can buy that throttle from please
:?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Domino+throttle&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

fechter said:
JPLabs said:
To use this throttle switch, we need to break out the PAS wire inside the motor, and switch that, right?
You need to just tap into the black and grey wires on the PAS connector. The switch closes when you open the throttle so we want to ground the grey signal line.
Can the black and grey wire be accessed outside of the motor for the Domino throttle solution? If so where would be the best spot. sorry if this is a foolish question. i am electrically challenged, but follow instructions fairly well.

tinasdude said:
Can the black and grey wire be accessed outside of the motor for the Domino throttle solution? If so where would be the best spot. sorry if this is a foolish question. i am electrically challenged, but follow instructions fairly well.

Yes for the black, but no for the grey. You would have to feed a wire to inside the controller area somehow either way.
You should be able to stuff a small pair of wires through the rubber block that carries the other wires. I don't think it would be that difficult.

Attachments

• BBSHD potted.jpg
    BBSHD potted.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6,644
fechter said:
(ATTACHMENT)

This picture saved me today. Thank you so much for figuring all of this out. I'm so happy it was just as simple as unplugging that PAS connector and buttoning it all back up. I was having a heck of a time the way it came from the factory, without knowing the details. I was trying to pedal and use the throttle at the same time at first, which doesn't work very well, as you all know. Then I finally figured out I had to stop pedaling to be able to use my throttle, which I despised. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd like to have the option of PAS, but I'm not sure I'm missing much. It's now just so intuitive to match my cadence with my right hand throttle grip, without even thinking about it. I was continuously cycling through PAS settings, trying to match my cadence and it was a constant struggle. Now, I just freed up so much mindspace, and can just enjoy the ride. So I'm not sure I'll build your circuit and tap into my harness like that, but I appreciate your efforts and it's nice to have the option. I'm super happy with just the unplugging I did today.

I realize it's frowned upon, but I'm running it singlespeed, at 72 gear inches and it's perfect. Regular fixie people can push 72 gear inches with their human power, so having 1500w to back me up isn't bad at all. I really don't think I'm stressing the BBSHD, and I don't think I need anymore from it either.

Mr. B, it's nice to see that this thread is helping many users, whether they want to use PAS with a throttle option when needed, or just use the throttle while they pedal.

I'm still frustrated that Bafang and their dealers refuse to correct this issue which came out of the blue and spoiled an excellent system, but at least there are simple and effective fixes that we can apply. I am still using the controller I "fixed" even though I have an older "perfect" controller on the shelf ready to install at any time.

Most of the time I put my PAS level to 0, which disables it. You're not missing much with the stock PAS system. I found it sort of worked but I preferred the control you get with the throttle, especially riding on off road trails.

Thanks for the fix everyone, I went with fechters method and used a KSP13 Darlington with a 100k resistor for the base.
However I dug into the controller on the other side, where the wires are soldered to the controller.

xoFVXTV.jpg

More pictures here: https://cloud.botox.bz/apps/gallery/s/qNg86yQiffmwdf4

Now just need to seal it up with some silicone.

Wow! Thanks for this topic!

I modded my BBS02B and it works like a charm.
This are the transistors I bought from aliexpress 20 pieces for around $1: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cEJUctJ8
I had a 100k resistor laying around. But here 100 pieces of 100k resistors for around $0.60 : http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b7O70VYA
Used some heat shrink and some hot glue to finish the mod.

Here a picture of my controller before the mod.
o3hNJTO.jpg

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum and I do not have a great command of English language ... please be patient.
So, I recently made the change indicated and I thank the forum for the great improvement that the change has made to my BBS02 750w!
I noticed, however, that after making the change the PAS became slow to start (although having programmed the engine for a quick start), it happened to someone else?
Thank you

banzai said:
Thanks. Just got a second new controller, 36v500w, marked october 2018, think that best way is remove pot from the area where cables are welded to board, the zone where cables enter the controller is a mess and I fear that if I remove the pot there it will be impossible to have it waterproof again unless I buy the Magic Rubber compound. Do you have info if Bafang reverted the firmware mode? Maybe will test once "as is"...

Another thing, are you aware if there are posts im this forum about modifying a 750w with a 500w controller? Searched but could not find. Here in italy a few ppl did it, to have less rpm and less heat when climbing step hills.

Hi Banzai,
if you need info on the BBS02 750w brought to 500w ask me as well (in Italian even better) ... I have made some and something I can point out to you.
Hello

Marcoermejo said:
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum and I do not have a great command of English language ... please be patient.
So, I recently made the change indicated and I thank the forum for the great improvement that the change has made to my BBS02 750w!
I noticed, however, that after making the change the PAS became slow to start (although having programmed the engine for a quick start), it happened to someone else?
Thank you

I haven’t heard of that problem before.

One test would be to disconnect the mod circuit from the PAS wire and see if it goes away.

This sounds more like a settings issue though. You could try a slightly slower PAS setting.

Hi guys,
I discovered the problem.
I do not know why but by reading the unit some values were different from how I had left them, so, by re-writing the settings on the control unit everything went right ... in practice it was a false alarm.
Very well, at this point, I am even more satisfied with the change.
Thanks a lot to everyone!!!

First: thanks for creating this thread for this fix!
I have a bbshd I want to modify as explained. I have allready som transistors laying around: i.e. c547b and bc107b. These have a lower base-emitter "on" voltage (0.5-0.7v). Will these work?

You need a NPN Darlington transistor. But before hacking into the wires, you might be able to fix the problem by reloading the software. See this topic:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100064

I haven't tried the software fix, but it appears to work. You need the Bafang programming cable.

Two years ago I bought a 750 watt BBS02 from BMS Battery, never installed until recently when I bought a used fsmb. However, it only has three PAS assist levels. I read somewhere in the BBS02 thread that by pressing and holding the plus and minus button at the same time let you access ten levels of PAS but the control pad does not have the plus and minus button instead it has up, down, left, right buttons and throttle does not work on Pas zero too.

How do I access the ten levels of PAS and make the throttle work at PAS zero too?
I hope the software update fixed my problems.

https://imgur.com/a/jv9XCdS

I haven't seen a control button like that one. You might try a fast double click on the power button to see if you can get it into the settings menu. But as far as I know, you need the programming cable and PC software to change the number of PAS levels and to program the throttle behavior. There should be instructions online somewhere for that particular display unit.

LowkeeRider, That's the same display I installed on my Sister's bike and I think I was able to set it up for more than 3 PAS levels, but not sure. She lives 100 miles away so I can't check real easy. I have another one of those displays on the shelf and if you are stuck I will either plug it into one of my trikes and see what it can do, or, I will contact my Sister and find out what PAS levels she is able to access.

Unfortunately your unit was manufactured in 2017, so it probably needs the fix described at the beginning of this thread. My fix is working great on my tadpole trike, but the fix Fechter documented about 5 posts down from mine is the cleanest, simplest, neatest, etc.

Good luck and let me know about that PAS level issue if necessary.

Edit: I called my Sister and she turned on her C965 display and checked the PAS levels that are available to her. All ten, which is what I thought, so there must be a way to set that, and I don't think that I ever hooked her system up to my computer via the programming cable.

Edit: here's a video about setting the 9 PAS levels on the C965. I think the default password to get into this part of the menu is "1919", which is different then the password he uses in the video. He does have the 3 button control instead of the 5 button control, so not sure how that affects the setting and password, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj85pO8roxQ

Edit: Here are detailed instructions for the 5 button display, but no mention of the PAS setting is included:

https://www.electricbike.com/manuals/c965-manual.html

Thanks guys,
I am going to try the software update first. I ordered a programming cable from Amazon.

That software fix that AW documented appears to apply to the voltage problem some experience when trying to use a 52V battery instead of a 48V battery. I would be surprised if it addresses the pedal/throttle issue documented in this thread.

However, you will probably be able to change the number of PAS levels available to you by using your new programming cable along with the Penoff software.

One comment about the software fix that AW documented, it apparently reloads the entire firmware, or at least a portion of the firmware that the Penoff software does not address. So if Bafang made software available that corrected the pedal/throttle issue we could just reload that specific fix instead of modifying the controller. Ho Hum, end of rant, but maybe someone will eventually make software available that addresses more parameters then the Penoff software currently has access to.

Edit: It appears there are several "flashes" available, and that the controller can be fully reset to fix both the voltage and the throttle/pedal issue. The only "bad" controller I currently have has been fixed electronically (first post in this thread), and is working perfectly (I only have 48V batteries), so I don''t have anything to experiment with, but from the start it always seemed this was a Bafang programming issue and they should have supplied a simple "flash" fix long ago.

Many thanks to AmberWolf for posting this, and others that have contributed and tested. It seems the main problem is using the correct "flash" for the chip your controller has. If and when I obtain another faulty controller I plan to fix it this way: (read the entire thread)

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100064

This question probably been asked many times but I am going to ask again just to reassure that a 52v battery will work with the BBS02?
I am thinking Em3EV 52v hardcase triangle battery.

Back