Warren's 350 MAC mid-drive (finally) recumbent

Thursday, I rode over Southwest Mountain again, to the market on route 20, for a milkshake.

SW Mountain.jpg

top of SW Mtn.jpg

I am always frustrated that pictures don't really give you a sense of distance, or grade. You can see at least 200 yards down a 15-20 percent grade, and it looks almost flat.

Mid 80s, windy.

47.58 mi, 2:28.43, 19.1 av, 37.8 max, 758.25 Wh, 15.9 Wh/mi, 28,934 miles, so far

For five and a half years I pulled 24 Ah/80% out of the pack on almost every ride. By the end of May, in 2016, I was still pulling 24 Ah out of the pack, but the voltage was sagging. So I put the extra Leaf module I had from the eight module pack I bought for my cargo bike back in August of 2015, in series with the Ping pack. That brought the performance and range back to better than new for a year. On June 26th I got a low cell cutoff at 22 Ah. This keeps getting worse and it is now down to 20 Ah, and 940 Wh before cutting out. I am hoping it hangs on until the new 21700 packs start showing up.

8551 Ah, and 29,022 miles so far

Today was my first ride in a month! We were stuck under the polar vortex, but it seems to have moved on now. Saw three runners, and a ripped young gal on a MTB. Probably all UVA students. Also saw a Tesla Model X, of course. Getting within ten miles of Charlottesville, it is almost guaranteed. Did the Southwest Mountain ride again. Just like a bit further up the page. Except when I got to the little diner, they are no longer open on Sunday. That was OK. It hit 69F, and it felt so good to be on the bike again. I love our new Chevy Bolt, but it is a car. Which means it is totally boring, unless you drive like a complete A hole, on public roads.

I feel your frustration. Until the day before yesterday (Saturday), I hadn't gotten a decent ride in since early December. The same Polar Vortex plaguing you in VA was, of course, hitting us up here in MN. It was the road conditions that were mostly the culprit though, not the temps. Even with 4 rows of studs on back and front tires, it just wasn't worth it. Saturday got above freezing, so we finally could see some road surfaces. The studs will handle the slick ice of 'refreeze', so we got a nice ride in (my 'winter bike' is a Bacchetta G20), with only human power.

What's the prognosis on your battery pack, and how close to 21700 availability are we really?

rowbiker said:
and how close to 21700 availability are we really?

That's a great question. There's an article from mid-2017 on electricbike.com calling them the up and coming thing, written by none other than spinningmagnets. Asked if we might finally see some aftermarket packs a year later. Not only silence, the comment got deleted. I get the impression the answer is not close at all. At this rate, something else might be the "hot" item before these have good availability.

Thanks for the info. I assume that if Tesla et al. switch from the 18650's to the 21700 format, things could change in a hurry. I'm fairly heavily invested in the 18650 format, but like most of us, have been habituated to spending way more money on batteries than we should have to. I'll very likely jump on the next bandwagon that comes along, whatever it is.

2170 is just a different cell format. It's slightly better for ebikes because you can pack a little more power in using a 3mm wider battery cell and get away with it.

But the whrs/kg, power delivery, etc on all the datasheets i'e seen is roughly the same as what we see in 18650's.

Brand new look! same great taste! :lol:

How's this bike treatin' ya lately?

After 30,135 miles, the Shimano freehub froze up. The rear derailleur didn't like fixie mode and wrapped up the derailleur, and tossed the chain into the spokes. My otherwise perfect rear wheel was destroyed. I have been going back and forth about converting it to a left side mid-drive, with a Grin Tech DD motor, Phaserunner controller, and 72 volt EM3ev battery pack.

Hey Warren,

Which Shimano hub did you get 30K+ miles on?

I froze up the freehub on my latest build after 200 miles. It was a used bike, and I don't know the history, but have been having convos with the guys at Blue Wheel about which way to go, replace freehub or build up a ridiculously expensive rear wheel. Getting an education in hubs in the process.

Back