Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

That's such a bad ass bike! Nice build, and great riding skills!

wuhaichao443 said:

Offroader said:
fechter said:
What rear tire is that? Looks awesome.

It does look nice. How does it handle and how does the rear suspension handle with the increased weight?

Was it worth to go with something so big and heavy over the stock tire?

My advice: enjoy the performance of big teeth and ignore the weight lag

Cant wait for a bigger battery and the belt drive kit :p
Building a 55Ah/3.1Kwh battery to have a good range in sport mode.
Next week i hope to instal the belt drive to make my surron silent.

55Ah wil give me60 to 70% extra range....60/70km in sport and 100/120km in ep mode ?

19P 10mmx0,2mm pure nickel so i can upgrade the controller later for extra power :evil:
5mfr0o.jpg

3DTOPO said:
wuhaichao443 said:
fechter said:

“yuanxing”3.5*17 from china

Anyone know where we can we get a 17" wheel for the Sur Ron?

Josh from motoped and surron forums has been building motobike and ebike wheels for a few years now, located in Maine.. : https://facebook.com/groups/1142909482389709?view=permalink&id=3130317513648886

also on ebay : https://www.google.com/search?q=wickedwheelwerks%20ebay

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
3DTOPO said:
wuhaichao443 said:
fechter said:

Josh from motoped and surron forums has been building motobike and ebike wheels for a few years and now, located in Maine.. : https://facebook.com/groups/1142909482389709?view=permalink&id=3130317513648886

Awesome, thanks! I just requested to join the group.

Took my bike into Manhattan for the first time. I was worried about bringing this beast of a bike on my local ferry boat that I need to take in order to get into Manhattan. They do allow bikes and electric bikes, but the Sur-Ron is more like a motorcycle than an electric bicycle. Luckily they didn't give me any issues. This is good because I plan on commuting with the bike every so often to Times Square where my job is.

This bike is great for city riding. It turns very good with the smaller 19" wheels. It can also climb any stairs with ease and there are lots of stairs. You can ride up the longest stairs very easily with this bike. I climbed the stairs in the picture below a couple of times without any issues. You should see how the people react when you climb stairs with the bike, its like they have never seen a bike before climb stairs :mrgreen: .

You can pretty much do what ever you want with the bike in Manhattan because the police will never bother you, its just too crowded a city for them to care.
Hands down this is a very good bike for having fun in an large urban city for doing urban assault riding, with lots of jumps to flat ground and stairs.

NfOzMHd.jpg

Some long stairs I climbed with the bike.
NGYHjap.jpg

Q0g596H.jpg

I've been using my own power supply to charge the surron at work for the past week - it's been working fine. But today I arrived with 14% charge and my power supply won't charge the surron battery. I measured 53V on the surron charge connector and main terminals. Anybody else experience this?

I wonder if the battery is perhaps too hot to charge. The outside case is warm to the touch.

UPDATE: battery is charging now after I gave it 15 minutes to cool down. The state of charge indicator was initially blinking "14%", but then it went solid, after which i was able to charge.

I did an experiment to find maximum charging current that the surron BMS will allow:
20A is ok, but it will shut off at 25A. Thought this would be useful for those experimenting with a non-surron chargers.

Offroader said:
You really would need nothing else to install the fox fork other than head tube spacers if you reuse the sur-ron headset. You would have to remove the crown race from your old fork, you would have to be careful, using a razor blade to start it and then slowly wedge larger stuff in there to lift it. Don't knock it out with a screw driver and hammer or you will bend it.

You could use a screw driver to wedge in the space under the crown race to help lift it after using a knocked in razor blade to start it.

Honestly, I haven't understood anything you wrote in this paragraph. Could you or anybody explain or put in some pictures please?
You just scared me))

Joachim said:
I am now Building a new battery for my surron to have more range. just a pack,cells in spacers/fiberglas plate/heatshrink and foam for demping.

What is wisdom...use 2900mah cells are go max for 3300mah/3400mah cells ?

The battery become 16S-18P ( maby 19P)

Cells i can use for the battery:
Panasonic NCR PF 2900mah 10A discharge. 52Ah-2995Wh
Panasonic NCR BD 3200mah 10A discharge. 57Ah-3280Wh
Sony US18650NC1 2900mah 10A discharge. 52Ah-2995Wh
Samsung INR18650-35E 3400mah 10A discharge. 61Ah-3510Wh
Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15A discharge. 54Ah-3110Wh

I am not a fan of the 3000+mah 18650 cells and the GA,s are way to expensive for a 10A max discharge cel.

I go with the good old Panasonic PF cells.
The battery i make is a 16S-19p/55Ah-3100Wh just for good range in the sport mode.
2i9l086.jpg

5mfr0o.jpg

Great efforts! My respect. Looking for bigger (longer handle battery also).

Could you please explain how did you calculate these numbers?
Multiple what on what? I'm a total zero in this subject and need to understand the basics.

Uran93 said:
Joachim said:
I am now Building a new battery for my surron to have more range. just a pack,cells in spacers/fiberglas plate/heatshrink and foam for demping.

What is wisdom...use 2900mah cells are go max for 3300mah/3400mah cells ?

The battery become 16S-18P ( maby 19P)

I am not a fan of the 3000+mah 18650 cells and the GA,s are way to expensive for a 10A max discharge cel.

I go with the good old Panasonic PF cells.
The battery i make is a 16S-19p/55Ah-3100Wh just for good range in the sport mode.
2i9l086.jpg

5mfr0o.jpg

Great efforts! My respect. Looking for bigger (longer handle battery also).

Could you please explain how did you calculate these numbers?
Multiple what on what? I'm a total zero in this subject and need to understand the basics.

I need more range not topspeed so i keep the same voltage 60V nominal(16 cells in serie).
a cel mah x the number you can put maximum in parallel wil give you the total Ah/Wh.
Panasonic pf cel: 2900mahx 19 cells in parallel = 55.1Ah this x the nominal voltage from 16s/57,6= 3173Wh/3.17Kwh .
The more you can put in parallel the bigger the Ah/Wh, total pack 304 cells is the max for me to fit and not to heavy

Uran93 said:
Offroader said:
You really would need nothing else to install the fox fork other than head tube spacers if you reuse the sur-ron headset. You would have to remove the crown race from your old fork, you would have to be careful, using a razor blade to start it and then slowly wedge larger stuff in there to lift it. Don't knock it out with a screw driver and hammer or you will bend it.

You could use a screw driver to wedge in the space under the crown race to help lift it after using a knocked in razor blade to start it.

Honestly, I haven't understood anything you wrote in this paragraph. Could you or anybody explain or put in some pictures please?
You just scared me))

When changing your front fork you will have to deal with the headset. The Sur-Ron headset is a cheap one and has many parts. It also seems to get damaged easily and parts of it bent. Take a look at some of the pictures of the Sur-Ron headset.

Then you will have to remove the crown race carefully from your RST Killah fork and install it on your Fox fork. Care needs to be taken to remove this and probably best to start with a razor blade and knock it in with a hammer to give you enough space to carefully knock in a flat head screw driver to slowly pry it off the fork. Then you need to knock it back down flat on your FOX fork. If you damage it, like if you knock it up with a screw driver at the end of the crown race and bend it like they show on some you tube videos you will have to buy another one. Good luck finding a Sur-Ron crown race, then you will need to install a hope or Cane creek new headset.

Here is the stock Sur Ron headset. Complete garbage but it works, look how many pieces it is. Take careful attention how it comes apart because you will have to remember how it goes back together.

u4lOr4Z.jpg

OvaJ6Yd.jpg

lgOeSGK.jpg

You can see the Sur-Ron Crown Race installed at the very bottom and the bearing is sitting above it.
eXOXnZA.jpg

The Sur-Ron Crown Race removed from the fork, you will have to carefully remove this from your RST Killah Fork using a razor to start it and then knock something a little thicker in to carefully lift it up. You can see mine is dented on the edge from trying to knock it up with a hammer and screw driver from its edges. I didn't care about mine since I bought a new Cane Creek 40 headset. You can use a hammer and screw driver but only to wedge it in under the crown race after you slightly lifted it with knocking in a razor blade to start it.

bJ5oVdj.jpg

xQxYdKH.jpg

Just for an example, here is a cane creek 40 crown race installed. You can see its pushed all the way down on the fork and its difficult to lift it up. The only way to get it started to remove it is to use a hammer and knock in a razor blade. Then after lifting it up slightly with a razor blade, knock in something slightly larger like a flat head screw driver to slowly lift it. Make sure to alternate sides while lifting it.

nvSHN6Y.jpg

nvSHN6Y.jpg

If you want to use another headset, like the cane creek 40. You will have to install headset cups. It is difficult to do without proper tools. If you use threaded rod and wood, which works, it takes a lot of force to get those headset cups pressed into the frame. The cups will go in uneven and you have to keep unloosening everything to try to get them to go in straight. A real difficult not fun job. If you had proper tools it probably would go a lot smoother but I didn't want to buy a head set press. You may just want to go to your local bike store for them to do it for you to be honest as they have the tools.

The cane creek 40 is nice and has a lot less pieces than the stock sur-ron headset. It has just a single sealed bearing.

Below I'm stalling my new cane creek 40 head set cups.
nVzhyEu.jpg

Offroader said:
Took my bike into Manhattan for the first time. I was worried about bringing this beast of a bike on my local ferry boat that I need to take in order to get into Manhattan. They do allow bikes and electric bikes, but the Sur-Ron is more like a motorcycle than an electric bicycle. Luckily they didn't give me any issues. This is good because I plan on commuting with the bike every so often to Times Square where my job is.

This bike is great for city riding. It turns very good with the smaller 19" wheels. It can also climb any stairs with ease and there are lots of stairs. You can ride up the longest stairs very easily with this bike. I climbed the stairs in the picture below a couple of times without any issues. You should see how the people react when you climb stairs with the bike, its like they have never seen a bike before climb stairs :mrgreen: .

You can pretty much do what ever you want with the bike in Manhattan because the police will never bother you, its just too crowded a city for them to care.
Hands down this is a very good bike for having fun in an large urban city for doing urban assault riding, with lots of jumps to flat ground and stairs.

NfOzMHd.jpg

Some long stairs I climbed with the bike.
NGYHjap.jpg

Q0g596H.jpg

You can pretty much do what ever you want with the bike in Manhattan because the police will never bother you, its just too crowded a city for them to care. :bigthumb:
I have to say that it’s great in Manhattan. You are so lucky, the police are too busy to look at you.
If in Germany the policeman always leisurely driving around the street with BMW 3 KOMBI. If it is a non-road legal version on public road, will be noticed and arrested soon :oops:

Liu said:
You can pretty much do what ever you want with the bike in Manhattan because the police will never bother you, its just too crowded a city for them to care. :bigthumb:
I have to say that it’s great in Manhattan. You are so lucky, the police are too busy to look at you.
If in Germany the policeman always leisurely driving around the street with BMW 3 KOMBI. If it is a non-road legal version on public road, will be noticed and arrested soon :oops:

What is a BMW 3 KOMBI? Can't seem to find anything about it.

USA is not all like Manhattan, many cities I wouldn't mess around in. Manhattan the police are are not even aloud to raise their voice at you, their powers were taken away a long time ago. They are also certainly not allowed to chase bikes and they are extremely worried about being sued for doing anything wrong. We sue police over here for just giving us a bad look.

The city is also so crowded that if they did try and pull you over you would just act like you didn't hear them and get lost in the traffic. We don't have any motorcycle police over here.

If they did try and chase me I'd like to see them ride up these stairs after me :wink: .

NGYHjap.jpg

Offroader said:
What is a BMW 3 KOMBI? Can't seem to find anything about it.

I think it's the wagon version:

BMW.jpg

San Francisco is pretty much like Manhattan. The police are busy with more serious crimes. Unfortunately I live 20 miles away and the cops in my neighborhood are bored. I was pulled over but had plates, turn signals, mirrors, and insurance so they couldn't find anything to write me up for other than saying I was speeding (which I wasn't at the time). Now I call my bike the "Cop Magnet".

I think that Sur-Rons are still something relatively new and cops also pull us over out of curiosity. But I agree that it's a bummer to be around cops that are bored.

I believe it is important not to wear a full face helmet and purposely wear a bicycle helmet. I see many of you guys over in Europe wearing full face helmets. Unless you can legally ride the bike, you are drawing lots of attention wearing a full face helmet.

Hyena said:
Further more, I shot this video a few days ago :mrgreen:

[youtube]SZs7KJznID8[/youtube]

If you guys ride your SurRon like Hyena does in this video, you won't get pulled over by the fuzz. :bigthumb: :lol:

3DTOPO said:
wuhaichao443 said:
fechter said:

Josh from motoped and surron forums has been building motobike and ebike wheels for a few years and now, located in Maine.. : https://facebook.com/groups/1142909482389709?view=permalink&id=3130317513648886

Josh is recommending an 18" rear wheel with a 21" front. What do you guys think?

Anyone running that on the Sur Ron?

3DTOPO said:
3DTOPO said:
wuhaichao443 said:

Josh is recommending an 18" rear wheel with a 21" front. What do you guys think?

Anyone running that on the Sur Ron?

do you have a link, specs, etc for the rims he recommended?? i would be concerned with weight and range for surron (josh is riding on ice;).. 18" rims are normally for full size motocross bikes and will weigh accordingly, same with tires.. also consider the head angle and handling change with different wheel sizes..

Back