New weldless battery system crowdfunfing project

Yes obviously it **can** be done, just a question of time, effort and funds available.

Good such systems are inevitable as the market matures.

Polycarbonates + humidity + voltage stress = crazing (surface cracks), then crumbling.

Sometimes even good base plastic materials (polypropylene, Polyethylene can use a filler/dye that absorbs humidity and corrodes apart under voltage stress.

Test to validate whatever material you're going to use.

The springs I used a springsteel (tried the biggest spring gauge I could test). They litterally cooked at 4 amps per springs....
But springsteel has very high resistance... And will glow red hot and loose their recoil.

Berillium copper, well 38% IACS is certainly very impressive. I see hopes in this!
Does it spring back without deforming (even if it heats up ?).

You'd need something like that. Copper contact surface with knobbling would be good too:
Capture.JPG
11.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg
Reference for curious people: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87434&hilit=vruzend+solderless&start=25#p1277444

Matador

And I mean knobbling on the surface like on this picture:
Capture.JPG

Matador

flippy said:
vruzend is a flawed concept with no regard for safety. that is simply the end of the story.

anything less then spotwelding is a compromise in safety and reliabliity.

I agree that vruzend is bad design and 2 majotlr flaws i outlined to them which they dismissed.
Saying that anything less than spotwelding is compromise in safety is a load of BS.
Spotwelding is least you can do. I have dismantled X2 batteries, the segway, and they are professiinally welded, glued but failed with corosion to spotwelds.
I have sold thousands of my solderless modules and in 2 years heard notging but good. In those 2 years i have seen many failed spotwelded packs.
Just saying, if some designs might look as disaster, others just might be better ;)

your packs are not friction fit wich is a plus compared to vruzend, but is also suseptible to corrosion, even worse then welding.

and many people that fix or build batteries onyl see the busted ones, otherwise they would not go to a battery supplier.

flippy said:
your packs are not friction fit wich is a plus compared to vruzend, but is also suseptible to corrosion, even worse then welding.

and many people that fix or build batteries onyl see the busted ones, otherwise they would not go to a battery supplier.

Yes, not friction, compression. Regarding corrosion. I have left one module outside exposed to elements for a year including winter with temps of sub0 and snow. Only thing corroded was bolts i have left in it which were those high tensile, black ones.
I had nissan leaf pack which has tin plated copper bus bars from 2013 car and they looked brand new. Sure it probably was hermetically sealed but all electrical connections in power transformers, if not aluminium, tin plated copper. Also look at the tube ring lugs, same, tin plated copper, holding pretty good everywhere.
For the power packs i dont see spotwelding as an option. If you look at conductivity of nickel, it is 1/5 of copper. I have 0.6mm copper busses when most weld 0.15mm nickel. When you start layering nickel, it starts becoming a mess and reliability goes down. You are sceptical cause you have not tried it. Its too simple to go wrong :)

Wait, why would AG's design be prone to corrosion?

I mean, nickel-zinc/tin plated copper has excellent resistance to corrosion.
As he mentioned, only the steel bolts have been corroded, and that could be fixed with a zinc, then nickel, plating.

BlueSwordM said:
Wait, why would AG's design be prone to corrosion?

I mean, nickel-zinc/tin plated copper has excellent resistance to corrosion.
As he mentioned, only the steel bolts have been corroded, and that could be fixed with a zinc, then nickel, plating.

Thanks, exactly. Actually i address that with high quality stainless steel bolts from Japan and plastic screws and nuts from Germany. There is no issues regarding corrosion of what i sold and selling whatsoever. There is no current transferred trough fixings which would be bad idea so stainless works good

Or if you are fancy, Titanium parts for the bolts and screws :)

Absolute overkill. :)

I'd like to add that I'm working on my 3rd Gen battery spring design.

Since I couldn't change the material to BeCu C17500 45% IACS because of its poor mechanical properties, or use the prototype material BeCu C17550 60% IACS as it would be wayyyy too expensive, I decided to look at multi layer electroplating. :D

I'll write more about it later.

Back