My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Sinbord1981 said:
My AM1000 got delivered today. Didn’t take me too long to get it all built up. I’ve just got to wait on the batteries now. I’m really pleased with it. It was so well packaged and came in an outer wooden crate as well. I’ll get some photos/video up soon once again be got it running. It was delivered with the software USB programming cable but does anyone know where I can get the software from?

Thanks all.

You had an outer wooden crate? Do you have pictures of how it was delivered? Mine was... well, less than ideal.

I'm interested in using the AM1000 as a dual duty off road rig as well as a street bike!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2019-FAT1000-2-0-full-suspension_60739643526.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.241c71d2yZi7fp

Is this bike even legal anywhere in the USA on off-road trails??? I'm assuming it's only trail legal on private property. Is this correct?

Some questions:

1. can this bike be ordered with a dropper seat post?

2. can the stock wheels be set up as tubeless?

3. will the wheels accept a narrower tire if I so choose in the future?

4. what type of fork is the stock fork? (GTMRK 120mm air suspension). Is this an entry level fork? I can't find any reviews for it.

Thanks. Basically, I'm wondering if customers are allowed to swap out components when you order the bike. I'm not familiar with the fork or the brakes--haven't heard of those models being used on other bikes.

Richard N said:
I requested software and cable too, but only got the cable.

In my case I got the software via the alibaba app but i'm not posting it because it will tell you there's a virus in there. The above link has a google drive hyperlink for the software

robocam said:
How do you use the youtube button?

You only use the last bit of the Youtube URL - the part that comes after "watch?v="

Here's me a couple days ago, gliding along a trail, enjoying my AM1000. What a fun bike!
[youtube]ETl84Yf05gQ[/youtube]

A bit of a long shot: does Frey have a showroom or warehouses on the west coast USA? Lots of ebike companies are either based in San Diego or at least have a showroom: FLX, Juiced, Aventon, and Rad for example. I'm sure there are others.

Whenever possible I try to test ride a bike before purchase. I may have missed my chance as they were at Sea Otter Classic either in 2018 or 19. It would be great to swing a leg over before investing.

If anyone is aware of test ride opportunities in the states, preferably on the west coast, feel free to chime in.

Sinbord1981 said:
Does anyone know what the USB socket at the front on the the underside of the display screen is for on the AM1000? There’s a little rubber cover over it that you can pull off. Thanks.

It's a standard usb port, 5v 500mA. You can charge your phone with it etc...

formula101 said:
I'm interested in using the AM1000 as a dual duty off road rig as well as a street bike!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2019-FAT1000-2-0-full-suspension_60739643526.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.241c71d2yZi7fp

Is this bike even legal anywhere in the USA on off-road trails??? I'm assuming it's only trail legal on private property. Is this correct?

Some questions:

1. can this bike be ordered with a dropper seat post?

2. can the stock wheels be set up as tubeless?

3. will the wheels accept a narrower tire if I so choose in the future?

4. what type of fork is the stock fork? (GTMRK 120mm air suspension). Is this an entry level fork? I can't find any reviews for it.

Thanks. Basically, I'm wondering if customers are allowed to swap out components when you order the bike. I'm not familiar with the fork or the brakes--haven't heard of those models being used on other bikes.

First off, the link you posted is NOT the Frey AM1000, it is for the Frey FAT1000 2.0.

I have 1 AM1000 for my wife, 2 HT1000, 1 for brother and one I built up from frame ONLY WITH 60 VOLT PHASE RUNNER AT 30000 WATTS. I also have one AM1000 5.0 and one FAT1000 2.0 just ordered this week.

In ALL cases, you can specify which components you want. Of course pricing is affected but you can get any wheels, any transmission, any seat post, any forks etc. Just specify to Ivy and they will quote.

The one thing they would not offer as a substitute is a Rohloff rear IGH. I bought those thru my local bike shop and installed them here in the USA.

As for wheel sizes, the HT10000 is offered with either 29er 2.2 or 27.5 2.8......The FAT1000 2.0 can come with either 26 x 4.5 or 26x4.8 tires on 26 rims.

Thanks, Gary. The Frey Fat Bike has pretty much all of the features I'm looking for: high top speed, fat tires for comfort, mid drive for any off road riding, multiple frame sizes, full suspension and.... a rear rack! Even the crank arm length of 170 works for me. Apparently Frey is shipping individual orders in wooden crates which is pretty cool.

My lone concern is probably the Q factor. I'd also like a frame integrated battery as well as I am reading reports of some Frey riders velcroing the battery to the frame.

I certainly don't need 4.8" tires. I'd be just fine with plus sized tires. If that's what it takes to get the Q factor in line so be it. But I still want dual suspension with a rear rack! Compromises will have to be made somewhere along the line, obviously. But the Frey Fat Bike is a darn good starting point and very near an exemplar of the type of electric bike I'm looking for: fast, comfortable, and useful for everyday errands.

I haven't really given much thought to how practical a 100 lbs bike might be. 70 lbs bike, a few pounds of accessories: lights, fenders, reflectors, panniers, and add to that 20-30 lbs of groceries or anything else from a store run.

The 'gold standard' for me would be the Frey fat bike with 2.8" tires, 170 Q factor, frame integrated battery, weighing in significantly under 60 lbs bone stock. Ivy, are you listening?!? :p

Thanks for the ride report.

You can calculate speed with gearing here:

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

I've read this motor is capable of 36+ mph. If so, you will need a 52 tooth ring to get you up to that speed at a normal cadence (90 rpm).

Sinbord1981 said:
My AM1000 arrived a couple of day ago .... this bike makes you feel superhuman.
Though it is more a general Bafang question, may I ask you how you think the motor support feels?
Can you compare the Bafang to other motors from the known brands? You seem to be someone who appreciates an ebike that rides like a bike and that is also what I am after. With a motor like the Brose it just feels like the motor amplifies your own input whereas the Bosch feels very harsh and you can really feel when it kicks in - I don't like that all.
Though I think the high torque is something I would appreciate (while I really don't care about top speed at all) my main focus with an ebike is having a smooth ride in terms of having a motor that you barely notice (in terms of feeling it kicking in suddenly). I assume this all comes down how the motor is programmed and the torque sensor is read out and all that jazz but what is your take on this?

TIA!

Looking at a photo of the drivetrain side, I'm not convinced you can go with a significantly larger chainring. Hopefully I'm wrong. A 42 will yield a slightly higher top speed. Combine that with a 10 tooth cog should get you up to 33 or 34 mph. I don't think 10 tooth cogs are that common however.

I don't see you getting anything bigger than a 42 or 44 max.

garyal1 said:
one I built up from frame ONLY WITH 60 VOLT PHASE RUNNER AT 30000 WATTS.
I think you must have an extra zero in the highlighted number. ;)

Even if you ran the Phaserunner
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/phaserunner.html
https://www.ebikes.ca/c-phaserunner.html
at the absolute max of 90v and 96A, you'd still only get 8640 watts out of it, and that's for a peak battery current, not sustained. Would need a heatsink at those levels (possibly active cooling).

(unless you're using some other controller with the same name that I don't know about)

Sinbord1981 said:
kaybee123 said:
You had an outer wooden crate? Do you have pictures of how it was delivered? Mine was... well, less than ideal.

Absolutely mint. Batteries arriving tomorrow. Customs hadn’t even taken a peek inside of it.....

48008830396_38455e3e7f_c.jpg

Thanks! Wow I wish mine had protection like that. My box had a side open when I received it. Regardless, they are helping me through it and have been very good to me considering the shipping hiccups.

For what it's worth, I plan on having a comphrensive review of the 2019 Frey AM1000 bike done once the dust settles.

While I found many short clips of the bike, I haven't found a complete package (including video + text) going over it.

I plan on covering pre-sale, sale process, shipping, after service, the bike assembly process, the bike quality (frame and all components), riding, value and more.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to leave them and I'll try to cover it in the review (and they'll probably be answered in this thread anyways)

44T up front with a 11 to 48T in the back will get you up any hill that doesn't throw you backwards of the bike and has ample speed. I was thinking of going for 42T but then I'd be using more of the small cogs, and i'm currently on my third set of the 11-13-15. I do use full power most of the time and have done over 2.5k on the am1000.

Back