AliExpress battery pack unboxing (for my eZuma project)

yes, they are original plates.
i noticed that QS does not have a really thight fit on the torque plates. i have had to put shims in mine and others to prevent the axle from turning on the plates so the flat sides had no play in them. in some plates the space was well over 1mm.

i plan on getting a few laser cut when i get my 13" motor that fit really thight on the flat sides.

does QS say anyhting about their V4 motors on what is different?

flippy said:
i plan on getting a few laser cut when i get my 13" motor that fit really thight [sic] on the flat sides.

Where will you send your files for laser cutting?

flippy said:
does QS say anyhting [sic] about their V4 motors on what is different?

Nope, the photo I posted is what they shipped with the motor.
I'll look into perhaps using some shims if there is any play at all.

Do you think using strips of aluminum foil tape might work as a super-thin shim?

i have a local company that has a 2kW laser and i know the owner. it should be able to cut 10mm steel

alu foil wont work, its too soft. for the 205 motor i used steel washers and cut them if they were too big and tapped them in with a hammer. now i have a welder so i will probably just try and weld it up and file it back down again.

flippy said:
i have a local company that has a 2kW laser and i know the owner. it should be able to cut 10mm steel

What do you think it might cost to have them fabricate two of these @ 8mm thick (shown in red below)?

IMG_7964.1280.v2.jpg

i'll ask, but shipping a couple steel plates to the US will be "prohibitive" in cost.

might want to find a job shop near you with a cnc mill. they can crank a few out in no time. if you give them a complete CAD then it should ne easy for them if they only have to generate the gcode.

i still find it hillarious that it only going to to scooter speeds. with a matching controller and battery it can do insane accelerations.

flippy said:
i still find it hillarious [sic] that it only going to to [sic] scooter speeds. with a matching controller and battery it can do insane accelerations.

Baby steps, flippy. Baby steps.

Besides, what's wrong with taking pride in your work? :p

M

P.S. I just ordered some 0.2mm 316 stainless steel shims for the dropout which should be good enough for the time being

It's alive!

I finally got 90% of the wiring done and fired her up. N.B. much of the Chinese wiring was inadequate so I took the opportunity to re-wire a bunch of it leaving plenty of extra capacity for the future (e.g. dual PIAA horns). According to the PowerVelocity controller, on a full-throttle test (fully elevated off the ground) the unloaded top speed is 85mph. I'm guessing the real-world top speed will be more like 60mph which suits me just fine. Now just to finish up some loose ends, put the body back together and take her for her maiden voyage. I can't wait!

IMG_8033.1280.jpg

IMG_8061.1280.jpg

P.S. for those curious types, the junction box I used above (under the floorboard) for the power distribution, circuit breakers, and contactor is from Polycase: https://www.polycase.com/sk-24

Bled the brakes today and took her out for an illicit spin down our little street. Everything seems to be working fine with the QSmotor V4 8000W hub motor and the PowerVelocity 20kW controller with Bluetooth. Battery still showing the same voltage 30 days later in a dormant state. Just need to make some final tweaks to the wiring and finish installing all the body panels before I get my plates and inspection.

IMG_8077.1280.jpg

Well, I have to say, this eScooter both accelerates faster and has higher top speed than my 150cc ICE scooter. I think I have a keeper. Even the regen works well to keep the battery level topped up when coasting.

IMG_8089 (1).1200.jpg

P.S. I think I'm going to need a bigger and better looking front rim. Something like this:

Untitled_7030.jpg

I just had to replace those cheap Chinese clone "hand guards" with something more substantial. These are serious motocross hand guards, to which I had to perform some significant grinding/drilling in order to fit the much shorter scooter handlebars. I like the look too, especially as it maintains the homage to the original Yamaha Zuma/BWs 125 gestalt.

IMG_8100.jpg

i used those in the past as well. later i upgraded to a truck horn with a 12v compressor because everyone thinks that horn is not for them. now they think a truck is diving 5ft behind hem and they get out the way in a hurry.

Ill make a video when i get back from my trip.
Its not -that- interesting, its just taking out a puny electric horn and replacing the sound with the one of a proper 18 wheeler.

Youtube "hornblasters" if you what to see some fun by people thst build train horns in their cars.

MJSfoto1956 said:
Well, I have to say, this eScooter both accelerates faster and has higher top speed than my 150cc ICE scooter. I think I have a keeper. Even the regen works well to keep the battery level topped up when coasting.

What kind of top speed are you getting?

It will easily do 50mph up hills that my 150cc ICE scooter had trouble doing 45mph.
Not sure of the top speed yet -- still tweaking things.

On a related note, the other day I went for a 25mi round trip and it used 25% of the battery (i.e. it went from 50% to 25%).
I wonder if that suggests that I might be able to get as much as 100 miles out of this puppy (if I baby it)?

M

So I just took a quickie 3.8mi test around my neighborhood with some runs up/down various nearby hills.

• Temperature was 80°F/26.7C
  • Charge was at 91%
  • PowerVelocity 20kW 100V controller, limited to 82A battery, 230A phase
  • QSmotor V4 8000W hub motor
  • 57Ah 20s 17p li-ion battery pack
  • Approximately 284lbs/129kg bike weight

Recording of the PV app screen (see link below) shows 61mph top speed on this particular run, which is more than enough for my purposes.

Vimeo link: https://vimeo.com/341660978

M

P.S. This puppy is much faster than my 150cc ICE scooter, which will be put up for sale soon.

Some more progress on little details:
  • I found a used PUIG windscreen for cheap, then modified some of the clear plastic to fit the scooter's tight dimensions.
  • Made a custom mount for the license plate out of black HDPE
  • Took a nice 30 mile round-trip to get the bike inspected -- given their reaction, I don't believe they had yet seen an electric bike come in for inspection

Next up:
  • I need to build a custom ventilator for the battery pack. Likely going to use a computer fan and some PVC pipe.
  • Add a new 13" rim with 110/90-13 Pirelli tire to match the rear
  • Ditch the cheap, twitchy Hall Throttle in favor of a mechanical throttle linked to a potentiometer

IMG_8133.jpg

Back