E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

I removed the battery before using the hose, but the electronics just needs to withstand it. I cannot have a bike that doesn't cope with washing. You see how dirty it gets, and i see no other way then to hose it clean. Battery is cleaned with a moist cloth :wink:

Bike with upgrades was 5568€ ex. VAT and shipping.

Had a few more parts arrive today...namely the bars, stem and seatpost dropper.

Managed to route the seatpost drop cable through the top tube without too much drama. Just had to remove one of the grommets to feed it through. The grommets are TIGHT, but the use of a plastic lever let me push it back in with the force needed.
DSC_5432.JPGDSC_5435.JPG

Also here's those photo's of the sproket I promised.
DSC_5434.JPGDSC_5433.JPG

Cheers

It looks to me that there has been absolutely nothing done on the front sprocket area what so ever to reduce the noise it makes. How is this? LMX boys showed in a video how the noise had now been reduced by using something to
dampen the front sprocket which makes 100% of the noise. I hope your bike is quieter than mine :lol:

What’s underneath the sprocket guard? Is there anything apart from the sprocket and chain?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

TorEddy said:
I removed the battery before using the hose, but the electronics just needs to withstand it. I cannot have a bike that doesn't cope with washing. You see how dirty it gets, and i see no other way then to hose it clean. Battery is cleaned with a moist cloth :wink:

I must be stupid but I was unable to remove the battery. How did you do it? Pull/push/slide?

brumbrum said:
It looks to me that there has been absolutely nothing done on the front sprocket area what so ever to reduce the noise it makes. How is this? LMX boys showed in a video how the noise had now been reduced by using something to
dampen the front sprocket which makes 100% of the noise. I hope your bike is quieter than mine :lol:

What’s underneath the sprocket guard? Is there anything apart from the sprocket and chain?

Regarding the noise, Adam said they had some work ongoing to dampen the sound even more. On one of the vlog videos he mentioned adding a chain guard to the frame to protect it from chain strikes..their bike was also using some kind of plastic cover for the front sprockets. Our bikes was shipped with an open metal protector only. I noticed my chain was quite dry to by lubing it quite extensively, it got quieter..still not quiet enough though.

Oh, didn't realise all that until now. Thanks for pointing it out.
The noise was one of my biggest concerns and Adam did mention they had significantly reduced it. I guess I didn't think about it needing an extra piece to reduce the noise.

Adam, can you comment about this? Should my frame have something extra for the noise?

Cheers

One idea as well could be to squeeze in a thin rubber gasket between the engine and the bikeframe to block vibrations going from the engine into the frame. Since the frame is rather hollow, this might enhance the sound coming from the engine.

Another idea could be to add a thick rubber mat on top of the engine to decrease sound hitting the rider.

brumbrum said:

Well, the photos dont show the inside of the sproket, where the solution is implemented.
Only issue with this is that the positive noise reducing effect does not last so long.

hkj said:
TorEddy said:

I must be stupid but I was unable to remove the battery. How did you do it? Pull/push/slide?

Just unlock with the key on the left side and slide the battery upwards:)

hkj said:

Regarding the noise, Adam said they had some work ongoing to dampen the sound even more. On one of the vlog videos he mentioned adding a chain guard to the frame to protect it from chain strikes..their bike was also using some kind of plastic cover for the front sprockets. Our bikes was shipped with an open metal protector only. I noticed my chain was quite dry to by lubing it quite extensively, it got quieter..still not quiet enough though.

My chain does not hit the side of the frame. Seems it is to tight to laterally swing into the frame.

Guess the 3d printed chain cover was just a prototype cover. Cannot imagine it would dampen any sound.
Good point about lubing the chain for noise reduction :thumb:

I would not put a rubber sheet between motor and frame, as that would stop the heat transfer to the frame.
Maybe different chanis will give different noise.

Anyway, I dont think the noise is that bad. It is not bbshd quiet, but i never expected that.

bzhwindtalker said:
brumbrum said:

Well, the photos dont show the inside of the sproket, where the solution is implemented.
Only issue with this is that the positive noise reducing effect does not last so long.

If the solution is easy to swap and cheap to replace i am sure all users will want it. I've been waiting patiently for this solution for some time. Please can you now share? I am unable to ride my lmx161 as the noise in the forests where i ride is too much.

You can lube the chain with whatever you fancy, the noise is not from there and will make very little difference. Different chain will make no difference. Different size sprocket will make no difference. Ive tried them all.

Adam said previously:
Hello, the tension rollers are making some very minimal amount of noise compare the the chain rollers hitting the bottom of the sproket. We are checking other materials and items on the 64 sprocket noise reduction to improve further.

Chain rollers hitting the bottom of the sproket is impossible to get around (without a belt drive), so i guess the plan is to isolate the sprocket from the drive shaft with some kind of insert/shim, so that less noise is transferred to the motor.

Wonder if a a casted nylon/delrin sprocket would hold up??

TorEddy said:
Adam said previously:
Hello, the tension rollers are making some very minimal amount of noise compare the the chain rollers hitting the bottom of the sproket. We are checking other materials and items on the 64 sprocket noise reduction to improve further.

Chain rollers hitting the bottom of the sproket is impossible to get around (without a belt drive), so i guess the plan is to isolate the sprocket from the drive shaft with some kind of insert/shim, so that less noise is transferred to the motor.

Wonder if a a casted nylon/delrin sprocket would hold up??

I bet a nylon sprocket would do it, but due to the small size it would last very little time. I actually have a kevlar large rear sprocket ready to try for the back wheel but haven’t fitted it yet.... https://www.righettiridolfi.com/en/product/search/sprockets/219-1/extron-pro

I have used allready extron on the rear.
No difference. Same as lubed chain.

1/3 noise reduction for the driver is possible... (161)
How?

Lift a bit your legs on a ride and press them to the frame.
Huge difference... But yea... I know I know ;(

Good to know I do have the solution. Thanks Adam.
My heatset and some touchup paint arrived from LMX today. Thanks Adam!

In terms of the noise, I do plan to make some 3D printed parts to further reduce the noise. I will experiment with what works best, but I had the idea to use some sound deadening stuff for cars interior on the inside of the prints to help reduce the noise. What do you guy's think!

Cheers

A 3D printed sprocket guard with some sound deadening features might work. Specifically look at the shapes used on sound reducing panels (pyramids/cones).
Also I believe there have been attempts to put o-rings on the sprocket. They likely won't last a very long time but would be easily replaced. I can't seem to find the thread where that was implemented however.

After some riding I think I need to get a couple of centimeters closer to the handlebars. What's the best way of achieving this? Is there some kind of tilted raisers?

hkj said:
After some riding I think I need to get a couple of centimeters closer to the handlebars. What's the best way of achieving this? Is there some kind of tilted raisers?

Did you already move the seat all the way forward?

bzhwindtalker said:
hkj said:

Hi Adam, can you show what you use to quieten down the noise on the LMX 64.

Hello Adam,
Could you please tell us 161 user whats the secret sauce of the silence? You would help 64 owners that they don't have to disassemble ;p

Adam?

Hello,

Could you please tell us what makes the sprocket terror less noisy?

Ah before I forget

Could you please tell us what's special made on front sprocket to reduce noise?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bzhwindtalker said:
hkj said:

I haven't :) Good tip! I'll get it a go.

Thanks

Some very nice riding from last weekend. I ened up crashing and dislocating my shoulder for the second time... first time was snowboarding. Had to walk the bike down from the middle of the forest to the road and call the wife to the rescue :lowbatt:

[youtube]9r26BIWEmpc[/youtube]

Looks like a lot of fun Adam. Sorry about your shoulder. Hope you recover quickly.
I managed to bust my right hand wrist after a grueling enduro session.. recovering but slowly :lol:

Back