My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
bugnut   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 27
Joined: Oct 05 2018 4:06pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by bugnut » Jun 08 2019 8:10am

Hey All,
I was just wondering what kind of manuals everyone received with there AM2000 bike. I didn't get anything on the controller or the motor. Also the front axel came with the STOP warning stating the axel position was critical and to refer to the manual. I did not receive any manual on this. The front brakes are making an annoying noise and also shudder on hard stops. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

kaybee123   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Jul 15 2018 11:38am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by kaybee123 » Jun 08 2019 9:51am

Thanks for the write up on the new bike!

I'm still working out a few things (like a lack of a seat) and slight rubbing on the front wheel disc brake.

I was wondering if you had a chance to test out the throttle? While the power does come on progressively when pedaling, the throttle seems to be max on or completely off. There is no gradient in the throttle (unlike my other ebike where you can modulate the throttle).

I'm researching this and tried looking it up... it appears it's possible to have a gradual throttle.

User avatar
SunnyDay1   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 18
Joined: Nov 15 2018 9:11pm

Re: My Frey AM1000 - FIRST PROPER RIDE REPORT

Post by SunnyDay1 » Jun 08 2019 4:07pm

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 08 2019 7:46am
So I got out for my first proper ride on my new Frey AM1000 V5 Bafang eBike (52V 17.5ah). I thought I would write up a quick report! This is coming to you from the United Kingdom.

I went out with my local cycle club on a road ride with them (8 of us altogether) purely to get a proper feel for the bike, its functionalities and how it rides. They are all fit blokes and gals on road bikes. I am very pleased with it to say the least! Next will be a proper off-road mountain bike ride - again to ascertain how it behaves and whether the gearing suits me (I've already ordered a two-tooth bigger chainring to gear it up slightly).

The power comes in seamlessly. The bike is very heavy compared to my other non-eBikes but I found that with it on the lowest Eco mode and assist level 1, it was enough power to overcome its own weight on the climbs and allow me to ride comfortably within the group whilst also giving me a moderate work out. I did a 40 mile route with the group, averaging 16mph, max-ing out at ~38mph. There was a moderate amount of climbing and descending today - overall 2,200 feet elevation on the whole 40 mile route. My 52V 17.5ah battery was fully charged at the start and it was the first use of this battery (I bought two with the bike) so I wanted to load it lightly for its first few cycles. I did kick it up in to sport mode and assist level 5 (the highest assist level) a couple of times - once when I'd stopped for a comfort break and had to chase to catch the group again - it's seriously fast and accelerates very well!

Fully charged at the start of the ride the battery measured 58.8V. At the end of the ride the Bafang controller display said it had 53% left and a range of 17 miles left. It measured 50.5V. I think it would go quite a bit further more than the 17 miles reported because the last few miles were some hard climbing and I was using assist levels 3 & 4 (still on Eco setting though) and then assist levels 2 & 3 to keep just ahead of my racer pal on his aero road bike (averaging over 22mph+ on the flat). I kept the display set on the remaining range setting and I got a feel for how it was updating based on the load I was putting in versa the settings on the bike. If you ask for more assist the remaining range would drop off after a short period of time and when you're going downhill and hardly using any of the bikes power you'd see the range slowly increase back up again as the algorthim calculates it out. I really like this. Over time I will get more accustomed to this and get a better idea on the range I've got with a fully charged up battery pack. Obviously you could stick in the top assist and Sport mode and ride flat out everywhere but the battery won't last long and I didn't want to be wringing the battery out like that on it's first discharge.

There was one weird moment on the ride - I think it was after the full power blast - when the display said it only had 19% left and the indicator symbol showed the battery as almost fully exhausted out, but is did come back up again. I think this is again due to the algorithm in the unit that must be calculating the range as it probably thinks the current drain associated with riding flat out is going to continue for the foreseeable, so it's warning you that you're not going to go very far!

As I had posted earlier, and in response to another chap on this forum, it really does bring in the power progressively - the harder you go and the more effort you put in, the more the controller/motor will also give. Eco vs Sport mode sort of speeds up the throttle response - much like the different switchable maps you get on a car or motorbike these days. The different level of assist make the controller/motor put in more or less power against what you're putting in, so you can either ride easy or beat yourself up a bit - this is exactly what I wanted in an eBike. I would think that selecting Sport vs Eco would have little long term effect on the overall range if you're riding at a relatively steady speed, as opposed to the assist level - where assist 5 which much more quickly drain the battery compared to assist level 1.

I didn't want to teach you to suck eggs on here, as I know most on this forum are already extremely knowledgeable about eBikes. I do a fair bit of 'normal' cycling but I'm a newbie to the world of eBikes. I am sure some with find my little report useful though. Thank you.

Here's a interactive replay of the ride and I've added in some picture below as well:
https://www.relive.cc/view/2432737746

Now go and get yourself one if you don't already have it!

If you're using 52V batteries you should set your display to read out volts, not percentage, and use this chart to determine battery percentage.
Attachments
52V_Chart2.jpg

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 08 2019 4:36pm

kaybee123 wrote:
Jun 08 2019 9:51am
I was wondering if you had a chance to test out the throttle? While the power does come on progressively when pedaling, the throttle seems to be max on or completely off. There is no gradient in the throttle (unlike my other ebike where you can modulate the throttle.
I didn’t use it that much but it seemed to be variable to me. I’ll try it out again.

Another little tip. When stopped I put it in assist level 0 as a bit of a safety thing. A few people were interested in the bike and came up and had a fiddle and you wouldn’t want them hitting the thumb throttle when you’re not expecting it. Also, I’d often ride off in 0 assist and then engage assist 1 and that really smooths things out especially if you sort of stop start a bit before you officially get underway if you see what I mean.

kaybee123   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Jul 15 2018 11:38am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by kaybee123 » Jun 08 2019 7:34pm

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 08 2019 4:36pm
kaybee123 wrote:
Jun 08 2019 9:51am
I was wondering if you had a chance to test out the throttle? While the power does come on progressively when pedaling, the throttle seems to be max on or completely off. There is no gradient in the throttle (unlike my other ebike where you can modulate the throttle.
I didn’t use it that much but it seemed to be variable to me. I’ll try it out again.

Another little tip. When stopped I put it in assist level 0 as a bit of a safety thing. A few people were interested in the bike and came up and had a fiddle and you wouldn’t want them hitting the thumb throttle when you’re not expecting it. Also, I’d often ride off in 0 assist and then engage assist 1 and that really smooths things out especially if you sort of stop start a bit before you officially get underway if you see what I mean.
Yeah It's not as smooth as I expected. A few things I noticed:
1. The bike doesn't like to reverse. There's a small noise that comes from the motor when you do but I hear it's normal
2. The motor relies on tension to activate so if you start pedaling in an easy gear, it won't 'kick on' until there's resistance. (I suppose I could leave it in a higher gear)
3. My front wheel needs 'true'ing (if that's a verb). There is a mis-alignment so when I go past 10km/h, I hear a noise coming from the disc brake. I tried to adjust it to no avail so I'll have to bring it into a bike shop.
4. The throttle does kinda modulate... but boy does it go from 0% to 10% to 100% fast. If you barely hold the throttle, it won't be at 100% but it's far from gradual.

The bike needs tweaking, that's for sure. However I'm hopeful that once I get all these things sorted out, it should be good.

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 09 2019 1:04am

“2. The motor relies on tension to activate so if you start pedaling in an easy gear, it won't 'kick on' until there's resistance. (I suppose I could leave it in a higher gear)”

Yes that’ll be the torque sensing through the pedals.

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 09 2019 1:16am

bugnut wrote:
Jun 08 2019 8:10am
Hey All,
I was just wondering what kind of manuals everyone received with there AM2000 bike. I didn't get anything on the controller or the motor. Also the front axel came with the STOP warning stating the axel position was critical and to refer to the manual. I did not receive any manual on this. The front brakes are making an annoying noise and also shudder on hard stops. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
I didn’t get any manuals either but I found some online (on this thread I think) for the controller display, the actual motor and for reprogramming. I also read up on battery charging/discharging. One thing I do need to do still, is set up the suspension properly. Am I right in thinking that neither the forks (I’ve got the Lyric) nor the rear shock can be locked out? I need to set them up for my weight via static sag and compression/rebound etc. They seem pretty good anyway (that is, matched to my weight) but I will watch some YouTube videos on how to do it properly. Both have got the elasticated markers round the stanchions that will be helpful in doing this.

Excessive shuddering may mean the steerer headset has a little play, so it might be worth having a look at that. Otherwise it it might just mean the pads haven’t yet bedded in with the brake disc. Good luck.

Also, SunnyDay - thanks for the volts ‘burn-down’ chart seem to be spot on what it was telling me - 53% battery left at 50.5V.

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Jun 09 2019 4:48am

As said before, you can change the setting from percentage to voltage on the display for 52v batteries. This will then also show you in short term what the voltage sag is under load when applying throttle or torque.

Throttle for me is pretty good and variable. I do seem to have something in the motor that I need a minimum RPM going before full power of any assist level is given to the motor. Anybody else feeling this?
Last edited by Hardcore on Jun 09 2019 6:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Frey AM1000 - FIRST PROPER RIDE REPORT

Post by Hardcore » Jun 09 2019 6:30am

SunnyDay1 wrote:
Jun 08 2019 4:07pm
Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 08 2019 7:46am
So I got out for my first proper ride on my new Frey AM1000 V5 Bafang eBike (52V 17.5ah). I thought I would write up a quick report! This is coming to you from the United Kingdom.

I went out with my local cycle club on a road ride with them (8 of us altogether) purely to get a proper feel for the bike, its functionalities and how it rides. They are all fit blokes and gals on road bikes. I am very pleased with it to say the least! Next will be a proper off-road mountain bike ride - again to ascertain how it behaves and whether the gearing suits me (I've already ordered a two-tooth bigger chainring to gear it up slightly).

The power comes in seamlessly. The bike is very heavy compared to my other non-eBikes but I found that with it on the lowest Eco mode and assist level 1, it was enough power to overcome its own weight on the climbs and allow me to ride comfortably within the group whilst also giving me a moderate work out. I did a 40 mile route with the group, averaging 16mph, max-ing out at ~38mph. There was a moderate amount of climbing and descending today - overall 2,200 feet elevation on the whole 40 mile route. My 52V 17.5ah battery was fully charged at the start and it was the first use of this battery (I bought two with the bike) so I wanted to load it lightly for its first few cycles. I did kick it up in to sport mode and assist level 5 (the highest assist level) a couple of times - once when I'd stopped for a comfort break and had to chase to catch the group again - it's seriously fast and accelerates very well!

Fully charged at the start of the ride the battery measured 58.8V. At the end of the ride the Bafang controller display said it had 53% left and a range of 17 miles left. It measured 50.5V. I think it would go quite a bit further more than the 17 miles reported because the last few miles were some hard climbing and I was using assist levels 3 & 4 (still on Eco setting though) and then assist levels 2 & 3 to keep just ahead of my racer pal on his aero road bike (averaging over 22mph+ on the flat). I kept the display set on the remaining range setting and I got a feel for how it was updating based on the load I was putting in versa the settings on the bike. If you ask for more assist the remaining range would drop off after a short period of time and when you're going downhill and hardly using any of the bikes power you'd see the range slowly increase back up again as the algorthim calculates it out. I really like this. Over time I will get more accustomed to this and get a better idea on the range I've got with a fully charged up battery pack. Obviously you could stick in the top assist and Sport mode and ride flat out everywhere but the battery won't last long and I didn't want to be wringing the battery out like that on it's first discharge.

There was one weird moment on the ride - I think it was after the full power blast - when the display said it only had 19% left and the indicator symbol showed the battery as almost fully exhausted out, but is did come back up again. I think this is again due to the algorithm in the unit that must be calculating the range as it probably thinks the current drain associated with riding flat out is going to continue for the foreseeable, so it's warning you that you're not going to go very far!

As I had posted earlier, and in response to another chap on this forum, it really does bring in the power progressively - the harder you go and the more effort you put in, the more the controller/motor will also give. Eco vs Sport mode sort of speeds up the throttle response - much like the different switchable maps you get on a car or motorbike these days. The different level of assist make the controller/motor put in more or less power against what you're putting in, so you can either ride easy or beat yourself up a bit - this is exactly what I wanted in an eBike. I would think that selecting Sport vs Eco would have little long term effect on the overall range if you're riding at a relatively steady speed, as opposed to the assist level - where assist 5 which much more quickly drain the battery compared to assist level 1.

I didn't want to teach you to suck eggs on here, as I know most on this forum are already extremely knowledgeable about eBikes. I do a fair bit of 'normal' cycling but I'm a newbie to the world of eBikes. I am sure some with find my little report useful though. Thank you.

Here's a interactive replay of the ride and I've added in some picture below as well:
https://www.relive.cc/view/2432737746

Now go and get yourself one if you don't already have it!

If you're using 52V batteries you should set your display to read out volts, not percentage, and use this chart to determine battery percentage.
The only thing about that graph is that it assumes a linear relationship between capacity and voltage. Albeit relatively accurate, under full load you get a voltage sag of 2-3V meaning you will hit LVC (42v) already under no-load 45V. According to your graph that still should have 17% battery, which basically only can be used if you reduce the assist level.

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 09 2019 7:28am

Hardcore wrote:
Jun 09 2019 4:48am
As said before, you can change the setting from percentage to voltage on the display for 52v batteries. This will then also show you in short term what the voltage sag is under load when applying throttle or torque.

Throttle for me is pretty good and variable. I do seem to have something in the motor that I need a minimum RPM going before full power of any assist level is given to the motor. Anybody else feeling this?
That sounds like a good idea Hardcore. I’ve got a feel for the volts now having monitored the battery through the charge cycle and measuring after a ride, so it may be better to have that up rather than the percentage figure 👍

User avatar
El_Topo   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: May 30 2019 3:28pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by El_Topo » Jun 09 2019 8:39am

kaybee123 wrote:
Jun 07 2019 12:51pm
For what it's worth, I plan on having a comphrensive review of the 2019 Frey AM1000 bike done once the dust settles.
While I found many short clips of the bike, I haven't found a complete package (including video + text) going over it.
...
If anyone has any questions, feel free to leave them and I'll try to cover it in the review (and they'll probably be answered in this thread anyways)
Thank you in advance for this!
I would be particularly interested in how the controller/motor combination works in terms of feeling a like a bicycle instead of motorbike. I am a layman but I assume what it needs to feel like a bike is instant torque and how the torque sensor works and is programmed.
Instant torque would be important to have when starting on a hill (instead of kicking only after half a revolution or more), also how the electric power is feeling in the pedals, with a Bosch motor you feel it suddenly kicking in, where as a Brose very gradually and super smoothly introduces the power.
The other thing is how fast the torque sensor and controller realise that you are accelerating. Also how does the motor/sensor work, do you get a certain power level independent on how many watts or torque you input (like you putting in varying amounts of watts but the motor always delivering X, where X depends on the power level) or is multiplying your input like I would expect form a good ebike?
Does it adjust it based on certain variables such as the gyro data (indicating if you are going uphill or downhill) like Bosch's new EMTB mode does?
Last edited by El_Topo on Jun 09 2019 9:02am, edited 1 time in total.

bugnut   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 27
Joined: Oct 05 2018 4:06pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by bugnut » Jun 09 2019 8:42am

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 09 2019 1:16am
bugnut wrote:
Jun 08 2019 8:10am
Hey All,
I was just wondering what kind of manuals everyone received with there AM2000 bike. I didn't get anything on the controller or the motor. Also the front axel came with the STOP warning stating the axel position was critical and to refer to the manual. I did not receive any manual on this. The front brakes are making an annoying noise and also shudder on hard stops. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
I didn’t get any manuals either but I found some online (on this thread I think) for the controller display, the actual motor and for reprogramming. I also read up on battery charging/discharging. One thing I do need to do still, is set up the suspension properly. Am I right in thinking that neither the forks (I’ve got the Lyric) nor the rear shock can be locked out? I need to set them up for my weight via static sag and compression/rebound etc. They seem pretty good anyway (that is, matched to my weight) but I will watch some YouTube videos on how to do it properly. Both have got the elasticated markers round the stanchions that will be helpful in doing this.

Excessive shuddering may mean the steerer headset has a little play, so it might be worth having a look at that. Otherwise it it might just mean the pads haven’t yet bedded in with the brake disc. Good luck.

Also, SunnyDay - thanks for the volts ‘burn-down’ chart seem to be spot on what it was telling me - 53% battery left at 50.5V.
Thanks for the reply
Here is a video link that sunnyday1 had shared on dialing in your shocks. https://youtu.be/xhnKTZu2AKs
Could you steer me to a controller link?
Thanks

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 10 2019 4:55am

bugnut wrote:
Jun 09 2019 8:42am
Could you steer me to a controller link?
Link to the controller display manual (I think this is what you wanted): https://ebikechoices.com/wp-content/upl ... nVHSlhVQ2U

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 10 2019 5:19am

El_Topo wrote:
Jun 09 2019 8:39am
I would be particularly interested in how the controller/motor combination works in terms of feeling a like a bicycle instead of motorbike.
El_Topo the AM1000 rides exactly like you would expect a normal bicycle to ride. I do a lot of cycling and motorcycling and can assure you it is very progressive and smooth and matched to the torque you put in through the pedals. The different assist levels make the controller/motor put in less or more assistance, exactly as you would expect. Starting on a hill is no issue. You get a clean getaway.
El_Topo wrote:
Jun 09 2019 8:39am
Does it adjust it based on certain variables such as the gyro data (indicating if you are going uphill or downhill) like Bosch's new EMTB mode does?
No. There is no inbuilt gyro as far as I am aware but then I really don't think you need such a thing. When I was riding mine on Saturday if I wanted a bit more assistance going up a hill I'd knock it up an assistance level and going downhill I'd knock it back. To be honest that's probably not necessary since you really don't need much by the way of motor assistance going down hills due to the weight of the bike and your own pedal power. I was just try to be as sympathetic to the drive as possible, also given it was the first use of the battery so I wanted to only lightly load it on its first few cycles. I also wanted to make sure I was getting a good workout and getting the usual sort of burn in my legs without making it too easy on myself. It all depends what you want from the bike, how fit you are and how much cycling you do anyway. The way my bike rides is faultless. I will have a play with some of the programmable controller settings in due course just to see what difference it makes. I'll have a read up on Bosch's new EMTB gyro functionality just out of interest though. My recommendation to you is that if you're looking for a powerful eBike you won't do any/much better than the AM1000 so just go a buy one. You won't be disappointed.

I am sure newer even better features will come out in the future for eBikes - downhill top up charging for the battery or regenerative braking to charge the battery as well - but this is the here and now and the AM1000 pretty much does all you're going to need.

I'll give you another update once I've had a proper go off road on it.

User avatar
El_Topo   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: May 30 2019 3:28pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by El_Topo » Jun 10 2019 9:01am

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Sinbord1981.
Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 10 2019 5:19am
No. There is no inbuilt gyro as far as I am aware but then I really don't think you need such a thing. When I was riding mine on Saturday if I wanted a bit more assistance going up a hill I'd knock it up an assistance level and going downhill I'd knock it back. .... I will have a play with some of the programmable controller settings in due course just to see what difference it makes. I'll have a read up on Bosch's new EMTB gyro functionality just out of interest though.
Adjusting the assist level is something I don't want to do often, let alone constantly. From what I've read the Bosch is a motor systems that seems to offer a one-for-all MTBing mode (except maybe having more than one adaptive power mode).
I thought I've read about gyroscopic data being used for those adaptive modes but I wasn't able to verify this via Google so far. Gyro or not (though I bet there is benefit in using gyro data like with phones or cameras), in terms of reading up on Bosch's eMTB mode, this seems like a good summary how it works, those are 5 reasons to use it and this (and posts that follow) seems like a good user review, I believe to have seen better write ups in the past but I am unable to find them at the moment.
Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 10 2019 5:19am
My recommendation to you is that if you're looking for a powerful eBike you won't do any/much better than the AM1000 so just go a buy one. You won't be disappointed.
I am sure newer even better features will come out in the future for eBikes ... but this is the here and now and the AM1000 pretty much does all you're going to need.
I think you misunderstood me, I am not of those waiting for fairy dust technology before I buy (meaning never) but given the high price I expect to ride it for many, many years and based on what I know so far I am hesitant to invest 4K € in something that doesn't (?) offer something that is readily available by other manufacturers since at least two years and is AFAIK just a software update. As testriding such bikes is almost impossible you need to rely on what you read on the interwebz.
Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jun 10 2019 5:19am
I'll give you another update once I've had a proper go off road on it.
Great, looking forward to your (what I expect it be from what and how you have written it so far) comprehensive review! I am sure it is a nice ride and no matter if I decide to buy it or not I am sure it will be a useful write up for me as well as many others! :-)

I had a quick glance at the manual but I haven't found anything that indicates that the sport mode of the DP C18.UART is adaptive.

On a side note:
Is it possible to set the bike up in such a way that it always falls back to the rad legal 25km/h (or 20mp/h if you live in other parts of the world) after you shut the electronics down. This would be tremendously useful in certain situations... :wink:

Marmalade   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 27 2018 6:49pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Marmalade » Jun 11 2019 7:12am

My 2c on this topic.

I do a good share of riding with both Specialised and Merida e-bikes within e-mtb group rides, and can attest that the AM1000 does have a hard time keeping up with them in tight,twisty & rough single track type riding due to it size and weight.

But out in the open or up any hills it will simply chew them up and spit them out.

On reasonably smooth tracks the 1000 can comfortably keep up with them on level 1 which says it all... switch to level 3 and you'll out accelerate and tear away into the distance, and it still feels like you're not even trying. Good way to get dirty looks though. You could simply leave it on level 2 and ride with them comfortably all day and still have 30-40% battery left afterwards (on a 21ah batt). The inbuilt torque sensor does a pretty damned good job at allowing you to modulate how much power you need.

The motor is certainly not as smooth as the bosch or shimano, but it does it nicely for the amount of power its pumping out, and feels natural once you get accustomed to using the correct gearing for the rpm/speed.

Personally I would go for the new 2019 model over the 1000 if it's all about shredding the trails... but you are then near the price point of low end electric Meridas.

User avatar
Deafcat   100 W

100 W
Posts: 214
Joined: Aug 13 2015 1:25pm
Location: City of Bridges (in the Canada Rectangle)

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Deafcat » Jun 11 2019 10:58am

Marmalade wrote:
Jun 11 2019 7:12am
Personally I would go for the new 2019 model over the 1000 if it's all about shredding the trails... but you are then near the price point of low end electric Meridas.
Which new 2019 model?

I definitely agree with you on this kind of bike being too heavy to be nimble in the trail... Full suspension G510 and a big battery is a ton of mass, and too much suspension for trail/single track stuff. hardtail with big tires is the way to go, or even rigid with carbon fork and plus/mid fat tires.

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Jun 11 2019 3:54pm

Marmalade wrote:
Jun 11 2019 7:12am
I do a good share of riding with both Specialised and Merida e-bikes within e-mtb group rides, and can attest that the AM1000 does have a hard time keeping up with them in tight,twisty & rough single track type riding due to it size and weight.

But out in the open or up any hills it will simply chew them up and spit them out.
Not sure about the rough argument, yes its longer and weighs more than others, but that also has advantages when going over fast singletracks. Hairpins do slow me down, but the bike is extremely stable at high speeds on down and up hills and over roots and rocks that would throw many other bikes around like dolls. I haven't found a part on strava where the AM1000 couldn't beat the time set, and then I'm talking about the standard leaderboards as well as the e-bike specific leaderboards. Keeping in mind that in Switzerland the power output is set to 500W and many derestrict their bikes here plus there's plenty of good enduro riders around the hills here.

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 12 2019 8:10am

Had my first proper foray off road on my AM1000 yesterday evening. I actually tacked it on on my way home from work as I commuted in on the bike to let a couple of colleagues take a look . I went through the woods, wide open trails and deep boggy muddy sections littered with tree roots. I must say I found it very stable with excellent traction. There's no way I'd get anywhere close to that speed on my normal mountain bike. It was impressive. The gearing was spot on actually - but even though I've ordered a 42T chainring (over my current 40T) I will still stick it on to see how it goes. I think I could still lose a little off the lower range end as I didn't use the 46t at all. What I rode on wasn't particularly that tight and technical and I think it might struggle there a little bit but on the more open stuff its simply epic. Before El-Topo asks, yes it's nice a smooth, progressive and rides like a bicycle not a motorbike. This is an eBike on steroids.

kaybee123   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Jul 15 2018 11:38am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by kaybee123 » Jun 12 2019 1:05pm

I am currently not having the same experience unfortunately.

My front disc brake rubs (and the front wheel has alignment issues) so I'm bringing it into a bike shop to have tuned before I can properly ride it.

Also, from the limited riding I have done, the throttle seems to come on REALLY strong and the torque sensing seems to only work well when there is a significant amount of torque being applied. Compared to my Voltbike, this is the opposite of smooth.

I'm looking for the Frey software (or any software for that matter) that will allow me to configure the torque settings (and perhaps the throttle) on the bike. Can anyone help?

Image

I saw Bafang software from 2016 but I'm not sure if it's safe to use on this.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/11/2 ... ike-drive/
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/2 ... the-bbs02/

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Jun 12 2019 2:21pm

Yes that software package worked for me.

User avatar
SunnyDay1   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 18
Joined: Nov 15 2018 9:11pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by SunnyDay1 » Jun 12 2019 6:03pm

kaybee123 wrote:
Jun 12 2019 1:05pm
I am currently not having the same experience unfortunately.

My front disc brake rubs (and the front wheel has alignment issues) so I'm bringing it into a bike shop to have tuned before I can properly ride it.

Also, from the limited riding I have done, the throttle seems to come on REALLY strong and the torque sensing seems to only work well when there is a significant amount of torque being applied. Compared to my Voltbike, this is the opposite of smooth.

I'm looking for the Frey software (or any software for that matter) that will allow me to configure the torque settings (and perhaps the throttle) on the bike. Can anyone help?

Image

I saw Bafang software from 2016 but I'm not sure if it's safe to use on this.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/11/2 ... ike-drive/
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/2 ... the-bbs02/
Use this link for the software that Hardcore provided earlier:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18DCTQo ... Zr-1m/view

kaybee123   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Jul 15 2018 11:38am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by kaybee123 » Jun 12 2019 9:41pm

Ahh yes, thanks! That's what I used earlier. I changed the torque like it was shown in the video (to start of 5 instead of 20) and it makes a HUGE difference in smoothness. Tweaking the software has made a tremendous improvement on the bike.

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 127
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

My Default Config & reprogramming

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 13 2019 4:26pm

So I got my software and cable working with my new AM1000 GS510.1000 and first job was to read off all the base default settings. Then I made a few minor tweaks just to the 'Pedal Assist' & 'Throttle Handle' tabs. The first four pictures below show each tab BEFORE I made any changes. The last two pictures show the changed 'Pedal Assist' & 'Throttle Handle' tabs. I am planning to make a few tweaks to the 'Torque' tab in the next few days to smooth/soften it up a bit on start ups. I'm running my bike on 52V 17.5ah battery packs.

These first four pictures below are the standard default settings that came on my bike:
Image
Image
Image
Image

These next two pictures below are the modified settings I made on the 'Pedal Assist' & 'Throttle Handle' tabs:
Image
Image

User avatar
SunnyDay1   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 18
Joined: Nov 15 2018 9:11pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by SunnyDay1 » Jun 13 2019 9:09pm

Topped out at 38.6 mph today, could have gone faster but that was enough. Scary fast.....
Max-Speed.jpg
Max-Speed.jpg (116.99 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

Post Reply