Low voltage systems

agniusm

1 MW
So everyone is building and lowest system voltage 99% use is 36v minimum. I would like to use 24V controller for 2kw vehicle for speeds upto 30kmh with hub motor and chain reduction to differential. Any cons to that?
I see only benefits like using tesla module without any modifications and electronics are available for 24v widely, guess cause of forklift market.

There's a few discussions about high vs low voltage systems that have all sorts of details, but basically it comes down to: the lower the voltage, the higher the currents have to be to get teh same power.

2000w / 24v = 83.3a so you'll need a battery and BMS (if any) that can handle that kind of current, and wires that can do so too.

Massively thick wires, Special high amperage controllers, much more expensive switching gear, putting more strain on batteries by drawing high amps.
Volts X Amps = Watts. It's easier and cheaper to handle higher voltage than it is to handle higher amperage.

Other than that, no real reason. Watts are watts. I've built a handful of 24 volt e-vehicle creations.

amberwolf said:
There's a few discussions about high vs low voltage systems that have all sorts of details, but basically it comes down to: the lower the voltage, the higher the currents have to be to get teh same power.

2000w / 24v = 83.3a so you'll need a battery and BMS (if any) that can handle that kind of current, and wires that can do so too.

Drunkskunk said:
Massively thick wires, Special high amperage controllers, much more expensive switching gear, putting more strain on batteries by drawing high amps.
Volts X Amps = Watts. It's easier and cheaper to handle higher voltage than it is to handle higher amperage.

Other than that, no real reason. Watts are watts. I've built a handful of 24 volt e-vehicle creations.

OK, so basically it only boils down to required power. In my case 2kw is not that much and 83A is low current.
I stopped discharging trough BMS long time so that is no problem too. Using welding cable on some of the projects and it works great

Back