Which cell for long lasting battery

Wow good stuff

Pajda said:
If you insist on longer cycle life (500 full cycles should be enough for most applications)
In most of my use cases there is no "enough", daily cycling or dozens per month anyway, usually just replace at EoL defined as 70-75% SoH, so longer the better

So which batteries do you recommend for the below in LI chemistries, not counting LTO or LFP?

Cost per Ah **per year** is the Most Important factor

Must be readily available, consistent supply

Next is per-cell Ah capacity, higher is better, building and maintaining large banks, so fewer cells is a huge advantage

power density is irrelevant, bank sized to keep discharge rates below 0.2C most of the time, never over 0.5C

charging usually at 0.2C, sometimes 0.5C when fast is required

_______
It seems you don't test for usage patterns other than 100% DoD, but just FYI

LVC is 3.2V (low current remember), and

charge termination is CC-only, end V set so SoC is kept well under 95% of that reached by stopping at 4.1V at 0.3C

In effect translates to keeping cycling between about 10% & 90% of the SoC defined by maker specs,

but only where range is critical, otherwise I try to stop discharge at between 50-70% DoD

or faster charging like 0.5C then take only LGs. Sanyo GA suffers with steep initial capacity loss and the most important problem is its huge DCIR rise. VC7 is very expensive and inferior to both LGs.

in best price category: Samsung 29E, Panasonic PF, LG M29, Sony NC1 I would recommend 29E as the best chioce. Panasonic PF is slightly worse under almost all cycle life test. PF is only better in fast charging (like 0.7-1C). I do not already have data for M29 and NC1 because I started with their cycle life tests only few days ago.

john61ct said:
Wow good stuff

Pajda said:
If you insist on longer cycle life (500 full cycles should be enough for most applications)
In most of my use cases there is no "enough", daily cycling or dozens per month anyway, usually just replace at EoL defined as 70-75% SoH, so longer the better

I give you an example a hard data from my measurement. Tesla Model S 85 cell is after 500 cycles (the same settings: 0.5C-1C 100% DoD) at 81% of its nominal capacity and after 1000 cycles at 71%. This is much worse result than almost all above mentioned cells. Do we heard about any significant Tesla batterygate? My laboratory cycle life tests are excellent for direct comparison of the modern state-of-the-art cell technology under different working conditions but they are far from the real traction application use.

Pajda said:
Dak77 said:
Is HG2 in that 1000cycle club?

Sure it is. But HG2 also has its own issues. The problem with HG2 is that it loses capacity very quickly during the first 50 cycles (ca 8-10% of nominal capacity). Between 50-100 cycles the capacity drop start with stabilization and after ca 150 cycle there is only minor capacity loss (86% of nominal capacity at 1C discharge 100% DoD after 1000 cycles). The good thing is that HG2 behave practically the same even under 3C continuous discharge (82% capacity drop at 3C discharge 100% DoD after 1000 cycles). For example LG MH1, MJ1 and M36 dies very quickly at 3C discharge torture.

So this is the reason why many users prefers Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6 before LG HG2. Because for flashlight, powertools and many other applications the 50-100 cycles is the whole life. I am charging my cordless drill no more than 10 times per year. So it is useless that LG HG2 in cycle life totally outperforms both above mentioned cells after ca 400 cycles, when particularly 30Q dies.

That's music to my ears. I was already leaning towards the HG2 for my next project and now I'm sold.

in my book the best cells for ebike battery come from smashed /written off EV and hybrids - no doubt about it.
if you think about it,
how well those cells were researched and tested to be used in EV in laboratories before approved to pack production.
yes they are from smashed cars , of course the younger car the better.
yes most of such cells are pouches.
I use Chevy Volt to power my summer bike and Nissan Leaf to power my winter bike.

Pajda said:
I give you an example a hard data from my measurement. Tesla Model S 85 cell is after 500 cycles (the same settings: 0.5C-1C 100% DoD) at 81% of its nominal capacity and after 1000 cycles at 71%. This is much worse result than almost all above mentioned cells. Do we heard about any significant Tesla batterygate? My laboratory cycle life tests are excellent for direct comparison of the modern state-of-the-art cell technology under different working conditions but they are far from the real traction application use.

Yes I agree, they are far away from the real traction application use.
Pajda, I respect your testing. But on the other hand I am more and more convinced that your testing conditions are too away from real life. Preceding that we are speaking about ebike world .

Nobody use 100 % DOD. Charging 0,5 C is quite high. In reality is charging rate usually about 0,2 - 0,25 C, never more than 0,3 C. Discharge 1C is also little bit high, properly designed pack can have cca 0,5 – 0,7 C discharge rate.

I have 5p10s Sanyo GA battery in my bike. Started using this pack in June 2017. Currently I have 4800 km on the odometer. DCIR of the cells is still sitting at cca 36 – 37 miliohm. Definitely don´t see any huge DCIR rise. New Sanyo GA cells are about 36 - 37 miliohm.

As we know, you are testing the cells also at different conditions, less strict, giving different results.

docware said:
Pajda said:

Yes I agree, they are far away from the real traction application use.
Pajda, I respect your testing. But on the other hand I am more and more convinced that your testing conditions are too away from real life. Preceding that we are speaking about ebike world .

Nobody use 100 % DOD. Charging 0,5 C is quite high. In reality is charging rate usually about 0,2 - 0,25 C, never more than 0,3 C. Discharge 1C is also little bit high, properly designed pack can have cca 0,5 – 0,7 C discharge rate.

I have 5p10s Sanyo GA battery in my bike. Started using this pack in June 2017. Currently I have 4800 km on the odometer. DCIR of the cells is still sitting at cca 36 – 37 miliohm. Definitely don´t see any huge DCIR rise. New Sanyo GA cells are about 36 - 37 miliohm.

As we know, you are testing the cells also at different conditions, less strict, giving different results.

What kind of amp loads are you hitting that GA pack with? Ball park figure

Dak77 said:

Amp load peaks are usually about 2,2 A per cell, very seldom 3 A.
Charging amps 0,8 A per cell for the first year, now cca 0,5 A.

docware said:
Dak77 said:

Amp load peaks are usually about 2,2 A, very seldom 3 A.
Charging amps 0,8 A for the first year, now cca 0,5 A.

:thumb: Gracias

I have always advocated lower than 4.20V charged voltage, advocating using batteries within their best energy density regions, most simply determined with their discharge graph.
Often charging to only 4.05V but religiously avoiding the low voltage cliff where IR heat (=damage) increases exponentially.
Static 3.60-3.70V with older cell technologies but 3.40 to as low as 3.20V with some modern types.

I recently acquired some cells with nearly 50% of their energy between 3.50V and 3.70V.

file.php

I even considered building as 11s with <41V charge for stable voltage and extreme lifespan.

Most of note!
Testing cells, even new ones, for self-discharge, then preventing high/low voltage or high drain abuse ... cells rarely, if ever, require any balancing!
I have only installed any type of BMS on some of my 2008 1st Lithium builds. Since, after cell testing and assembly I run hundreds of cycles without needing to balance. Dozens of successful battery builds, for myself and a few others, with several 10s of thousands of miles as my proving ground.

Back