My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

SunnyDay1 said:
Topped out at 38.6 mph today, could have gone faster but that was enough. Scary fast.....
Max-Speed.jpg

What gear combination and cadence did you use to reach that speed? Subjectively, how much effort did it require? I'm assuming this was on flat road not downhill?

Sinbord1981 said:
SunnyDay1 said:
Topped out at 38.6 mph today, could have gone faster but that was enough. Scary fast.....
Max-Speed.jpg

I had just over 40mph out of mine but that was down a slight hill. Was yours on the flat? How come you battery shows 59.2V? I’m running 52V packs and have only ever seen 58.8 max, which is what they charge to.

These high speeds on such a weighty bike is scary as it takes quite a lot to pull them from that!

That high-speed run was on a slight downhill too. I have 2 - 52v packs, coming off the charger they always read 59.2 or 59.3 volts to start with.

formula101 said:
SunnyDay1 said:
Max-Speed.jpg

What gear combination and cadence did you use to reach that speed? Subjectively, how much effort did it require? I'm assuming this was on flat road not downhill?

I was cruising on a slight downhill road at around 15 mph in ECO mode 3 then switched to sport mode 5. It does not take much effort to hit that speed, probably within 10 seconds.

Yeah I feel like lowering the initial torque activation level makes it much smoother.

Now the only thing that I'd like to figure out is how to slow down the acceleration with the thumb throttle. It's... well, too strong. It's quite challenging to hold the throttle at 15% in order to maintain a nice leisurely speed.

If you accidentally hit it too much (say 70% for a few seconds), now you're going wayyyy too fast. On ECO mode, I'd love to reduce the throttle power to make maintaining 15-25mph (25-40kph) easy.

Update: I just found this and will be trying it soon:

Try tweaking the voltage setting for the thumb throttle on the last page of the programming settings. Most throttles top out at 4.2v. The default settings for the BBS02 is 1.1v to 3.5 and it ignores anything higher than 3.5 and lower than 1.1v. You can lower the 1.1 number and raise the 3.5 number to get more range on your throttle. Don’t put in a high number higher than 42 (4.2v) or you won’t be able to get the full amount of power out of your BBSxx unit.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a Frey HT1000 for the UK.

I have lung issues and am used to cadence only sensors and reprogramming my current BBS02, so I need to figure out how to basically turn off the torque page or set all levels to a minimum so it feels like it's cadence only.

Haven't seen a full explanation of the 'torque' page yet, guess I will still have the throttle in the short term.

How's the battery life treating you guys?

Perhaps I changed settings that negatively impacted the battery when programming the BBSHD however as far as I know, I have been making things smoother (and slower).

Yet, I just charge the battery to 100%, ran a few laps in front of my house (literally went back and forth on the street a few times) and the charge dropped from 100% to 90% within about 8 minutes.

And the day before that, I saw the charge drop from 25% to 16%, from 16% to 11% and then to 9% within about 10 minutes. I'm perplexed because I have the large 48v 21amp battery

The first and last part of the voltage drop during discharge is steeper than the bulk. How is the overall capacity?

I'll have to do a proper test soon! The next time I go out, I'll be starting at 90% so we'll see how the 90% to 20% goes.

I find that those 4 lights for the 52v battery are not working anyway. After 1h rides of 30km i still get 4 lights on, so wouldn't trust them anyway. Even after LVC cut-off I have two to three lights still on.

kaybee123 said:
Yeah I was at 9% and the 4 lights on the battery were lighting up.
These lights are only to beautify the case. Everyone knows that. :shock:

Hi everyone - GREAT thread!

I just confirmed an order for a grey high spec AM1000. Very very excited about it, but starting to worry if I should be looking more at the Frey M600. It "looks" the part of a production bike (even non electric looking) so well and surely weighs a lot less.

I just ordered the other day, so if I'm going to change I better change soon...

From what I can tell the m600 does still have a throttle... Albeit not a powerful, but still pretty darn helpful and great for single-track I'm thinking?

I have a Trek Roscoe 8 - non electric, and just got done building a bikesdirect.com fat bike into a BBSHD monster with a big em3ev battery. So the monster could be my cruising bike where the am1000 or the M600 will be my e-trail/single-track bike...

Long story short - how come I don't see more excitement over the Frey M600? It's a nice bike! Any advice would be appreciated. 👍

And for the record, I'm 6'7" tall (about 200 cm) and of course ordered the XL Am1000.

I should add that Grace has been (wonderful) to deal with so far as well!

And I should say that my little freak out has subsided and I'm totally happy with my AM1000 choice. *Just a lot of $ - so I stress a bit. 😊

I am still a tad curious why no one seems to discuss the Frey M600 though. 🤔

I'm curious about the M600, too.... but I would need some extra features in order to try to get it homologated in the EU (brake light etc.)

Another thing/question is what display are ya'll upgrading to after receiving? I don't think i'll even fire up the stock display. :)

I have the below display on my Fat Bike BBSHD. I definitely like it, but wondering if there are even better options?

https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Display-Available-Electric-TFT-500C/dp/B07MV44YGK/ref=asc_df_B07MV44YGK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=334237318532&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1702079712313517456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005966&hvtargid=pla-679191914086&psc=1

Thanks!

Just found some more potential options here: https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Colored-Display-Electric-Odometer/dp/B07B8YPL4Q/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bafang+display&qid=1561668517&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4

Stanleybb50 said:
Just found some more potential options here: https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Colored-Display-Electric-Odometer/dp/B07B8YPL4Q/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bafang+display&qid=1561668517&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4

The DPC18 you linked, is the stock display for the Bafang Ultra. Also, it's probably the only display I know for sure works with it. I seem to recall that other Bafang displays DO NOT work with the Ultra motor, which is the motor on the AM1000.

edit: I may be wrong here, and more displays may indeed work fine.

mwesleyroper said:
Luna released their full suspension X-1 with a 2000 watt Bafang M600 a few days ago. Very affordable.

That bike is beyond ridiculous. Firstly, no evidence the M600 can handle 2kW for any length of time. Secondly, even if the motor survives, they frocking equipped the bike with an NX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, which is an aluminum XD interface cassette not even remotely capable of handling those power levels... Then for this wonderfully light bike they added four-piston (!!) brakes, because that's totally necessary... What will break first? The frame? The rear hub/cassette? the motor? the chain? What a crap-shoot. $3500 USD entry price to ride an electro-mechanical time-bomb.

Back