PV NextGen FOC 100-180v 36kw max - $799

coolbobjoe said:
How do you read motor temp when the seller didnt have any point on BT module for input nor would advise on it?

There most certainly is a what you call a "point on BT module for input" on the PV BT module. In fact, I just last week wired my V4 QSmotor temp output directly to the PV BT module and the motor temp showed up first time out. Or are you talking about another BT module perhaps?

M

The module i was sent for my 100V 20kw PV controller had the temp sensor from the controller hooked up to the only temp input on the Bluetooth module I was sent. kinda hard to plug two temp sensors into the same input! even if you did manage they would show up as either a series or paralled resistor network and wouldnt give you any useful information anyways. Also helped that the internal sensor was DOA and I thought it was just another glitch in the app until the whole thing melted itself into nothing dripping solder down the board. +1 for sending me a refund, -1 for seller not being willing to sell another controller even without warranty. Time to move on to my 36 FET with liquid cooling project I guess :lol:

coolbobjoe said:
The module i was sent for my 100V 20kw PV controller had the temp sensor from the controller hooked up to the only temp input on the Bluetooth module I was sent. kinda hard to plug two temp sensors into the same input! even if you did manage they would show up as either a series or paralled resistor network and wouldnt give you any useful information anyways. Also helped that the internal sensor was DOA and I thought it was just another glitch in the app until the whole thing melted itself into nothing dripping solder down the board. +1 for sending me a refund, -1 for seller not being willing to sell another controller even without warranty. Time to move on to my 36 FET with liquid cooling project I guess :lol:

Why your controller died...there's lots of possibilities of which many are purely user error and some are hardware failures. OF those hardware resons many are outside the scope of a controller warranty. I can "proudly" say that I've personally fried 3 12 fet controllers and repaired 2 of them. I've also fried an 18 fet and repaired it. Mine blow up mostly because I do extreme things with them that tend to cause failures to happen. Maybe you did something like that too?

I don't know how old or new your module is. There were quite a few versions before things stabilized. I little walk down memory lane to today...

A very early prototype. It had no temp sensor inputs at all...and could program the controller from your android phone. BT connectivity and programming glitches were pretty common.

BT%20module%20v2%208.jpg

A skosh further along. BT was fairly reliable by now, still nothing but controller programming, but it had a first iteration of CA capabilities on board.

Telemetry%20module%20v1%206.jpg

CA like functionality was working finally and the dashboard while fairly rough, showed speed and battery data. I think this version has a single temp sensor input. BT was getting pretty stable.

Telemetry%20Module%20v2%201.jpg

I think this model now supported up to 150v and had dual temp inputs. It also did everything a CA did. It would retry BT connection if it ever got lost and remembered the last BT connection it had.

Telemetry%20module%20V4%207.jpg

I missed a version or two in there...oh well. This is what you get today. A vastly superior product to anything else out there! The app works super well and the hardware is quite reliable if you don't do anything stupid to it.

Telemetry%20module%20v6.png

And of course the app sees new development all the time too. Show me any EV app and hardware solution that can do half of what this can do. IT does not exist! Believe me...I've bought all the options and tried them out...they are NOT As good by a long shot and many cost a LOT more money to boot! I've searched China, Russia, UK, USA and Canada looking for EV monitoring options that are anything like what we have...still looking and still NOT finding! Our app gets new features constantly. The firmware in the module gets new functionality regularly and auto updates. This is something I can brag about! Nobody else comes close to new functionality and improving older functionality like the PV product does! If/when bugs are found, they usually get fixed in days...the fasted I've seen elsewhere is a couple of weeks.

I had a 24 FET last year from PV. Don't really see what was so fantastic about it and the app. It was only semi-stable with the bluetooth, the settings took a frustrating 10 minutes to set as the slider bars were too sensitive. No other way of input at that time.

*Pick*, damn, it got to be 88V,
*Pick*, damn it, 76V

It went on forever..

Big disappointment to me was that the bluetooth module was a fragile, non-protected dongle. This doesn't work where i ride and was destined to fail. Nothing is shown on the site about this.
image.jpeg
Controller initially couldn't deliver more than 30A/2kW, being 20kW capable.. sealant from the manufacturing was smeared on the phase and battery contacts. After cleaning them i commuted for about a month (no high currents) then a fet exploded at half throttle.

PV took it on warranty so they did their part, good service.

I know one story doesn't make a quality history, just saying many issues are not customer related.

ElectricGod said:
coolbobjoe said:

Why your controller died...there's lots of possibilities of which many are purely user error and some are hardware failures. OF those hardware resons many are outside the scope of a controller warranty. I can "proudly" say that I've personally fried 3 12 fet controllers and repaired 2 of them. I've also fried an 18 fet and repaired it. Mine blow up mostly because I do extreme things with them that tend to cause failures to happen. Maybe you did something like that too?

I don't know how old or new your module is. There were quite a few versions before things stabilized. I little walk down memory lane to today...

A very early prototype. It had no temp sensor inputs at all...and could program the controller from your android phone. BT connectivity and programming glitches were pretty common.

BT%20module%20v2%208.jpg

A skosh further along. BT was fairly reliable by now, still nothing but controller programming, but it had a first iteration of CA capabilities on board.

Telemetry%20module%20v1%206.jpg

CA like functionality was working finally and the dashboard while fairly rough, showed speed and battery data. I think this version has a single temp sensor input. BT was getting pretty stable.

Telemetry%20Module%20v2%201.jpg

I think this model now supported up to 150v and had dual temp inputs. It also did everything a CA did. It would retry BT connection if it ever got lost and remembered the last BT connection it had.

Telemetry%20module%20V4%207.jpg

I missed a version or two in there...oh well. This is what you get today. A vastly superior product to anything else out there! The app works super well and the hardware is quite reliable if you don't do anything stupid to it.

And of course the app sees new development all the time too. Show me any EV app and hardware solution that can do half of what this can do. IT does not exist! Believe me...I've bought all the options and tried them out...they are NOT As good by a long shot and many cost a LOT more money to boot! I've searched China, Russia, UK, USA and Canada looking for EV monitoring options that are anything like what we have...still looking and still NOT finding! Our app gets new features constantly. The firmware in the module gets new functionality regularly and auto updates. This is something I can brag about! Nobody else comes close to new functionality and improving older functionality like the PV product does! If/when bugs are found, they usually get fixed in days...the fasted I've seen elsewhere is a couple of weeks.

That last chip was the one that was sent to me. It only has one temp input. And powervelocity said any other "open ports" were under development, aka no dual temp sensor inputs as far as I can see. Also not user error when a key component in fault detection was failed before arrival. Failed temp sensor lead to catastrophic overheat. Could have saved itself if it had worked properly so that is hardware error if it's as sophisticated as people say it is.

You'll have to excuse my question if it's already been answered elsewhere.

Will this controller need to have its EPROM reflashed every time in order to change any settings? As I understand, this is the way existing Powervelocity controllers work, rather than having a 'live' connection between the app and controller, which is how dedicated displays tend to work.

coolbobjoe said:
That last chip was the one that was sent to me. It only has one temp input. And powervelocity said any other "open ports" were under development, aka no dual temp sensor inputs as far as I can see.

The controller temp comes via the CA connector while the other (single) temp sensor mentioned above is used for the motor temp. As such, I have two temperature readings visible on my app: motor & controller. I find it invaluable of course to see how the system is behaving.

M

P.S. I understand that the next version will have an additional temp sensor which will allow us to monitor all three key components: battery, controller, and motor.

MJSfoto1956 said:
coolbobjoe said:
That last chip was the one that was sent to me. It only has one temp input. And powervelocity said any other "open ports" were under development, aka no dual temp sensor inputs as far as I can see.

The controller temp comes via the CA connector while the other (single) temp sensor mentioned above is used for the motor temp. As such, I have two temperature readings visible on my app: motor & controller. I find it invaluable of course to see how the system is behaving.

M

P.S. I understand that the next version will have an additional temp sensor which will allow us to monitor all three key components: battery, controller, and motor.

Temp over cycle analyst connector? What kind of stuff you smoking. Cycle analyst has 6 pins. You should go check the pinouts as none of those six are a temp sensor and either way temp sensor from motor needs to come from the motor and the cycle analysts only connection is via the controller. Do your homework before trying to say square blocks go through circle holes :wink:

coolbobjoe said:
That last chip was the one that was sent to me. It only has one temp input. And powervelocity said any other "open ports" were under development, aka no dual temp sensor inputs as far as I can see. Also not user error when a key component in fault detection was failed before arrival. Failed temp sensor lead to catastrophic overheat. Could have saved itself if it had worked properly so that is hardware error if it's as sophisticated as people say it is.

Not likely...I know for a fact that it has dual temp inputs. I have several (6?) of these and they all have dual temp inputs. It's been like a year that there was a single temp sensor module and I don't think we ever made those available since they were prototypes. In the below image, lower right corner is the 2 sets of connectors for temp sensors. I don't know what you have, but it can't be this module!

Lots of people say X was bad when I got it. I can tell you nothing leaves Powervelocity before it is tested. There is just no way you got bad parts direct from PV...it doesn't happen! 100% of everything is shipped fully bench tested. What this leaves is a SMALL possibility that under load, MAYBE, a failure MIGHT occur, but it's pretty darn rare.

IMHO...you did something that caused your issues. People make mistakes all the time. I've blown up my fair share of hardware doing stupid stuff...it happens.

danielrlee said:

Will this controller need to have its EPROM reflashed every time in order to change any settings? As I understand, this is the way existing Powervelocity controllers work, rather than having a 'live' connection between the app and controller, which is how dedicated displays tend to work.

you have 3 possible storage locations with the PV app, module and controller:
1. The app on your phone saves some data
2. The module saves some data in flash
3. The controller has flash memory that saves it configuration

If number 3 doesn't happen then the controller doesn't get updated with new settings. There is NOT a programmable controller on the planet that does not work this way.

Dedicated displays do NOT store controller settings. Just like everything else, it gets stored in the MCU flash memory inside the controller.

MJSfoto1956 said:
larsb said:
*Pick*, damn it, 76V

Yeah I gave up on the sliders -- I just click the number field and type in what I want. Works every time.

M

This was a feature I wanted for a good while. And you are welcome...it's a good usability feature I kept pushing for. I think the sliders are fine for a lot of things, but then if I want a specific number value, entering it manually is better. BTW...what you think is "hard to use" sliders has seen a LOT of improvement over the early implementations that never got published publicly. Trust me when I say...early sliders were really hard to use compared to what you see in the app!

One of the limitations with the sliders is screen size and sensitivity of your phones touch functions. I know what you are talking about. I have 6 phones for testing and on some the sliders are very good and precise and others they are not so great. This is hard to accommodate. My suggestion is for best accuracy with the sliders, to put your phone in landscape so the slider bars are longer. It's not perfect and getting them to work great on every phone is impossible, but landscape helps a lot.

For phase or battery amps, it doesn't matter if you have it at 100 or 105 amps. Things will work virtually identical either way. For shunt resistance, I want a very exact number so that current and watts read correctly. Same for wheel circumference and a few other things. I use both the slider and the manual entry pretty interchangeably depending on what it is.

BTW...there's lots more coming. The app is FAR from done. I won't say what's coming, but let's just say that once you start using that stuff, you'll be thinking "damn! this cool stuff!".

MJSfoto1956 said:
coolbobjoe said:

M

This is incorrect. The CA connector does not have a temp sensor input at all. The CA connector does a hall signal for motor RPM, throttle signal, battery voltage and shunt measurement.

Temp inputs are separate connectors on the module that have nothing to do with the CA connector. Maybe you have a custom made wiring harness, but they don't come from PV that way.

ElectricGod said:
coolbobjoe said:

Not likely...I know for a fact that it has dual temp inputs. I have several (6?) of these and they all have dual temp inputs. It's been like a year that there was a single temp sensor module and I don't think we ever made those available since they were prototypes. In the below image, lower right corner is the 2 sets of connectors for temp sensors. I don't know what you have, but it can't be this module!

Lots of people say X was bad when I got it. I can tell you nothing leaves Powervelocity before it is tested. There is just no way you got bad parts direct from PV...it doesn't happen! 100% of everything is shipped fully bench tested. What this leaves is a SMALL possibility that under load, MAYBE, a failure MIGHT occur, but it's pretty darn rare.

IMHO...you did something that caused your issues. People make mistakes all the time. I've blown up my fair share of hardware doing stupid stuff...it happens.

Where is it cuz that's the chip. And by the way electric God where is all the stuff I sent you? You've gone AWOL on my requested repairs

ElectricGod said:
Temp inputs are separate connectors on the module that have nothing to do with the CA connector. Maybe you have a custom made wiring harness, but they don't come from PV that way.

I stand corrected. My bad.

ElectricGod said:

No. That's not true. I can dig up the pictures and the mails i sent to powervelocity - if you want to. But i'd guess it's smarter to just not go there. I think powervelocity should put a leash on you (if you haven't been appointed customer relations manager. If you have been then they should fire you.)

larsb said:
ElectricGod said:

No. That's not true. I can dig up the pictures and the mails i sent to powervelocity - if you want to. But i'd guess it's smarter to just not go there. I think powervelocity should put a leash on you (if you haven't been appointed customer relations manager. If you have been then they should fire you.)

Getting kind of sick of the overplayed tester/dealer relationship for these controllers. Glad I got my money back at this point but looks like I'm not the only one with issues which is good to know.

Also for electricgod, would like my parts back that you said you'd fix. Please and thanks

This question is better asked in this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89847
but I'll answer.

The short answer is No. You don't need to maintain any live connection in order for the controller programming values to stick.

The long answer is the BT module has its non-volatile memory and the controller chip has it's own.
Controller programming parameters are written to the controller chip and saved in the BT EEPROM.

That means you can program the controller and they will stay there even if you disconnect the BT module.
The module is also aware of the parameters you have programmed and you can read them to see what they are in the app.
You can move the BT to another controller and program these same parameters if you like.

This affects only the Programming screen of the app.
The Settings screen parameters are module specific, they are not pushed to the controller in anyway.

danielrlee said:

Sorry Vadym...geez...haters...

I stand by what I said:

1. Nothing goes out without being bench tested.
2. If the package was not crushed under a truck, there's a very HIGH chance all parts arrived 100% working.
3. There's a pretty good chance that mistakes were made by the end user that damaged the hardware.

NOTE: The vast majority of failures are external to what left Vadym since it was fully tested before shipping to you.

I 100% understand that it sucks to make a mistake and to blow up your brand new controller. I completely agree!!! BUT I can also honestly say that 100% of the controllers that I have that died, did so becasue of me, NOT PowerVelocity or Vadym somehow sending out DOA hardware! I have something like 25 controllers from various sources...this is NOT my first rodeo! Every year, I spend thousands of my own money buying stuff just to check it out..looking for the good stuff and weeding out the bad. In the process I blow up a fair bit of hardware just testing things to the point of failure or becasue I did something wrong. Can any of you haters say that? Can any of you haters admit you could have made a mistake? I'm betting you can't!

What could those mistakes be that casue hardware failure? Let me list a few of mine that I've made over the years while modding and repairing electronics of all kinds. I'm fairly experienced since I've been at this since the 1970's fixing stuff with vacuum tubes! I still make mistakes. It happens...

1. Not properly precharging so that inrush current fries the MCU or other parts.
2. Not properly isolating the phase wires from each other and then 2 short together.
3. Not properly isolating battery wires and they short together.
4. Trying to force a motor to run with it incorrectly connected to halls and phases.
5. Running a controller without proper cooling and it over heats.
6. Running a motor too hot/hard so it melts down and shorts causing mosfet failure.
7. Improper motor loading or gearing so it runs at low RPM or stalled too much and overheats or cooks the controller.
8. Running a controller outside the shell and something metal shorts on the exposed electronics.
8. Making a wiring mistake. Mis-connectting wires is easy to do and I've done it many times.
9. Being unfamiliar with what you are doing and making controller settings that are "too hot" causing overloads.
10. Modding controllers and making mistakes...like leaving a solder blob on the board or accidentally bridging two solder pads.
11. Accidentally touching 2 points under test with the same test probe or touching 2 probes together, creating a short.

The list is pretty endless what can cause hardware failure and many are user errors. I'm dead sure I've killed and repaired far more electronic devices than most anybody posting here. I've been repairing electronics since the 1970's as a kid. It's not that electronics don't die on their own...they do. Over the years I've run across many cases where the electronics failed from poor designs or sub-par components. BUT compared to the amount of working electronics out there, failures are exceedingly few and most are not failures of the electronics. I'd say that easily 90% of ALL electronic failures are from outside sources like heat, shorts, power issues, over loading, water incursion or mistakes that have nothing to do with what you originally bought from whatever source...that includes PowerVelocity.

Go ahead and believe what you want, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of failures are NOT DOA hardware.

larsb said:
I had a 24 FET last year from PV. Don't really see what was so fantastic about it and the app. It was only semi-stable with the bluetooth, the settings took a frustrating 10 minutes to set as the slider bars were too sensitive. No other way of input at that time.

*Pick*, damn it, 76V

It went on forever..

You need to download the updated version which has both sliders (I hate those too), and boxes to enter exactly the number you want with keystrokes.

I haven't tried the dashboard as anything other than just turning my keyswitch to go is too much of an inconvenience for me. I only wish we could enjoy the benefits of a CA with mass produced electronics pricing. AFAIC they should be $100 less in price.

ElectricGod said:

I stand by what I said:

NOTE: The vast majority of failures are external to what left Vadym since it was fully tested before shipping to you.

I 100% understand that it sucks to make a mistake and to blow up your brand new controller. I completely agree!!! BUT I can also honestly say that 100% of the controllers that I have that died, did so becasue of me, NOT PowerVelocity or Vadym somehow sending out DOA hardware!

.. Can any of you haters admit you could have made a mistake? I'm betting you can't
Shouldn't you let powervelocity speak for themselves?

What's your connection to powervelocity? Working as the quality assurance manager also as well as customer relations? I guess so since you know the checks performed on every controller that was sold.

A simple thing like the sealant on my controller would've been noticed on an appropriate bench test - so it was not tested.

See what i did there? It's called a logical conclusion. It's not called hating where i come from. Do powervelocity a favour: don't respond with even more offtopic blabber.

ElectricGod said:

What could those mistakes be that casue hardware failure? Let me list a few of mine that I've made over the years while modding and repairing electronics of all kinds. I'm fairly experienced since I've been at this since the 1970's fixing stuff with vacuum tubes! I still make mistakes. It happens...

1. Not properly precharging so that inrush current fries the MCU or other parts. Except of Killing your Connectors i never had a failure because of not Precharge a Battery connect. But as there are possibilies for very High Voltage applications its ok to list =)
2. Not properly isolating the phase wires from each other and then 2 short together. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).
3. Not properly isolating battery wires and they short together. Not nice for every Battery =)
4. Trying to force a motor to run with it incorrectly connected to halls and phases. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).
5. Running a controller without proper cooling and it over heats. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).
6. Running a motor too hot/hard so it melts down and shorts causing mosfet failure. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).
7. Improper motor loading or gearing so it runs at low RPM or stalled too much and overheats or cooks the controller. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).
8. Running a controller outside the shell and something metal shorts on the exposed electronics. *Idiots Alarm*
8. Making a wiring mistake. Mis-connectting wires is easy to do and I've done it many times. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).--(Connectors that only fit in the right opposite)
9. Being unfamiliar with what you are doing and making controller settings that are "too hot" causing overloads. Manufacturer Problem. Do better Hard/Software (Protection).
10. Modding controllers and making mistakes...like leaving a solder blob on the board or accidentally bridging two solder pads. True, but modding should be clearly visibile in a warranty case ;)
11. Accidentally touching 2 points under test with the same test probe or touching 2 probes together, creating a short. (probes? what?)

The list is pretty endless what can cause hardware failure and many are user errors. Thats the Point. We are not anymore in the China Crap infineon Area where simply setting up something "wrong" blows your controller. If you want today some cookies of the Cake do better controllers.

Go ahead and believe what you want, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of failures are NOT DOA hardware.
Depends of the Point of Viewing. As above a Controller can be as Simpel AND Safety. Even for not educated technic "GODs"

for Example?
NUCULAR :D
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75494

Of Course no fancy Blutooth/Handy stuff.

Small as frock, Powerfull as frock 200Battery/250 Phase, Idiotproof, variabel ebrake until zero, sinewave, sensorless, FOC, cruise, 3 modes, fully autodetect everything (and WORKS)without adaptto like manual tuning stuff. Throttle Modes, Speed, Torque or mixed.
Power Limits, Speed Limits. Additional buttons as you like on your handlebar configuration in display. No Laptop needed. Import Export Settings.(You can edit your Setttings at PC) Demo Mode (on Power Cycle Settings loaded from "stock" so you can play around whatever you like.
All settings you can setup CANT damage Controller in anyway. Many Stats as you want.

I see on Display all i need. Battery+ Phase Amps, Watts, Voltage, Speed, Battery %, Cruise, Throttle Output, WH/KM, WH Battery, Motor+Controller Temps, Trip ....

if i need Navigation....yes....NOW i take my Phone =)

Sooo you want idiot proof controllers? You want controllers that can't ever be damaged? Good luck with that! I'm just laughing inside!

I was listing things I've done that caused electronic failures. How is that EVER going to be a manufacturing or design flaw?

I'd have to say you completely missed the point! People make mistakes...THAT WAS the point!

What leaves Vadym and is shipped to people was working when it left his hands. That's the important detail here about hardware PV sells. People want to blame PowerVelocity or claim that they got DOA hardware...lol...highly unlikely!

FYI...many people think I somehow "get something, some benefit" for promoting PV products. I don't...IF I get anything and it's rare, it's a couple percentage better price, but that's it. What I do for these products is purely voluntary. What really makes me laugh is that I've been busy with other projects for the past few months and nearly completely done nothing for Vadym other than random email or some small test.

Something else that people claim...that I say that PV controllers are the best thing there is. Good luck finding where I've ever said that. I do consistently say they are pretty good. They are Chinese designed, sinusoidal controllers that get some hand holding...like top notch mosfets and a few other details done in the USA before they are shipped to anybody. It's a well known fact that they are a pretty good, middle of the road controller design. At least the current set of controllers...this is true. The new one that this thread is about...well that one will be a huge improvement and it won't be a Chinese design at all.

What I have said is the module and app are the best there is. I'm challenging anybody to show me the product that's better. There's options that do some of the stuff the PV product does, but not everything. Did I mention it works on any EV? What's more, new functionality gets added all the time. Any bugs, get fixed. I've done software testing for a living for the past 10 years. I'm quite familiar with typical software development cycles. None of them are perfect, but this one is pretty responsive to bug fixes and new features!!! This one app does GPS, typical dashboard functions, BMS monitoring and controller set up. NO OTHER SINGLE APP OR LCD BASED DASHBOARD COMES CLOSE! Maybe it's not perfect, but at least it all works and does more for more people than anything else and is NOT proprietary to a specific controller.

However, this is way off track as there's a new controller coming out. It's based on the VESC project and uses TO-247 mosfets. It will incorporate all those great VESC features and be significantly better than the current PV product line in most every regard. No more TO-220 mosfets, design built for 150v. The PV app will take on some new functionality and be able to program VESC controllers. I bet it will do the job more intuitively than the android VESC app. OF course there will be development here...as the app grows in functionality and gets more and more capable of doing everything possible in the VESC products. Oh yeah...and IF you really want to use the Vesc tool...feel free...it ought to work too.

larsb said:
ElectricGod said:

I stand by what I said:

I 100% understand that it sucks to make a mistake and to blow up your brand new controller. I completely agree!!! BUT I can also honestly say that 100% of the controllers that I have that died, did so becasue of me, NOT PowerVelocity or Vadym somehow sending out DOA hardware!

.. Can any of you haters admit you could have made a mistake? I'm betting you can't
Shouldn't you let powervelocity speak for themselves?

What's your connection to powervelocity? Working as the quality assurance manager also as well as customer relations? I guess so since you know the checks performed on every controller that was sold.

A simple thing like the sealant on my controller would've been noticed on an appropriate bench test - so it was not tested.

See what i did there? It's called a logical conclusion. It's not called hating where i come from. Do powervelocity a favour: don't respond with even more offtopic blabber.

+1 for inadequate weather proofing. Controller was no where near "sealed" upon further inspection

Back