Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Offroader said:
Took my bike into Manhattan for the first time. I was worried about bringing this beast of a bike on my local ferry boat that I need to take in order to get into Manhattan. They do allow bikes and electric bikes, but the Sur-Ron is more like a motorcycle than an electric bicycle. Luckily they didn't give me any issues. This is good because I plan on commuting with the bike every so often to Times Square where my job is.

This bike is great for city riding. It turns very good with the smaller 19" wheels. It can also climb any stairs with ease and there are lots of stairs. You can ride up the longest stairs very easily with this bike. I climbed the stairs in the picture below a couple of times without any issues. You should see how the people react when you climb stairs with the bike, its like they have never seen a bike before climb stairs :mrgreen: .

You can pretty much do what ever you want with the bike in Manhattan because the police will never bother you, its just too crowded a city for them to care.
Hands down this is a very good bike for having fun in an large urban city for doing urban assault riding, with lots of jumps to flat ground and stairs.

NfOzMHd.jpg

Some long stairs I climbed with the bike.
NGYHjap.jpg

Q0g596H.jpg

What? There were recent ebike crackdowns on delivery guys. They confiscated lots of ebikes in Manhattan...

n2mb said:
Offroader said:
Took my bike into Manhattan for the first time. I was worried about bringing this beast of a bike on my local ferry boat that I need to take in order to get into Manhattan. They do allow bikes and electric bikes, but the Sur-Ron is more like a motorcycle than an electric bicycle. Luckily they didn't give me any issues. This is good because I plan on commuting with the bike every so often to Times Square where my job is.

This bike is great for city riding. It turns very good with the smaller 19" wheels. It can also climb any stairs with ease and there are lots of stairs. You can ride up the longest stairs very easily with this bike. I climbed the stairs in the picture below a couple of times without any issues. You should see how the people react when you climb stairs with the bike, its like they have never seen a bike before climb stairs :mrgreen: .

You can pretty much do what ever you want with the bike in Manhattan because the police will never bother you, its just too crowded a city for them to care.
Hands down this is a very good bike for having fun in an large urban city for doing urban assault riding, with lots of jumps to flat ground and stairs.

NfOzMHd.jpg

Some long stairs I climbed with the bike.
NGYHjap.jpg

Q0g596H.jpg

What? There were recent ebike crackdowns on delivery guys. They confiscated lots of ebikes in Manhattan...
In many parts of the country, too, it is illegal to ride an electric car on a highway

Getting ready to buy a new rear sprocket. Is the 52T still the one to get or is there a new contender?
Has anyone tried the cross reference the dimensions of the Sur-ron sprocket with a dirt bike sprocket like PD or JT?

crazy_dave said:
Getting ready to buy a new rear sprocket. Is the 52T still the one to get or is there a new contender?
Has anyone tried the cross reference the dimensions of the Sur-ron sprocket with a dirt bike sprocket like PD or JT?

If your riding weight is under 220 pounds, the 52T is the best gear option. Over 220 pounds, the the 55T is best.

crazy_dave said:

I initially tried a 52 and then I changed the rear tire. The roll out on the new tire was 2 inches longer than stock and it destroyed the advantage of the lower ratio. So I bought a 58 to cure that. Recently I bought a new tire that was 3 inches longer than stock.

It also depends on what you are doing with your bike. More teeth helps tremendously with keeping motor temperatures down and it improves range on long steep climbs.

Hey guys, thank you for the replies.
The way the bike sits now it defiantly needs to be re-geared for more torque. I am 190lbs and 90% of my riding will be off road. I need to be able to loft the front wheel up and over logs.
I have the latest version of the X controller, supposedly with the regen that I will be installing. Would the 55T be a good in-between gearing of the 52 to 58T?

crazy_dave said:
Hey guys, thank you for the replies.
The way the bike sits now it defiantly needs to be re-geared for more torque. I am 190lbs and 90% of my riding will be off road. I need to be able to loft the front wheel up and over logs.
I have the latest version of the X controller, supposedly with the regen that I will be installing. Would the 55T be a good in-between gearing of the 52 to 58T?

You are honestly going to be out of luck if you expect the bike to lift the front wheel up easily with the X-controller, even if you change the sprocket. You will have to upgrade the controller. It really has nothing to do with the gearing, it has mostly to do with the fact the controller limits the ramp up power of the bike or something.

The X-controller does have a lot of power it just limits the power in a way that makes the bike more controllable I guess, but this limits lifting of the front wheel.

My recommendation would be to just buy a new controller if you want to lift the front wheel up easily. I can't honestly say if changing the sprocket will let you easily lift the front wheel up, I guess it will help a little but it probably won't do what you expect it to.

offroader, on stock gearing i said that too. still stock (no X) but front lifts easy with 58T.
Sure, lack of Midrange Power and only 58kph Top Speed but Offroad its ok.

if that throttle on the stock controller wouldnt suck on smoothness i could wheelie it also.

Merlin said:
offroader, on stock gearing i said that too. still stock (no X) but front lifts easy with 58T.
Sure, lack of Midrange Power and only 58kph Top Speed but Offroad its ok.

if that throttle on the stock controller wouldnt suck on smoothness i could wheelie it also.

I stand corrected. With a controller upgrade you could probably keep your stock gearing, increase top speed to 50MPH, and lift the front of the bike up much more easily than with a 58T. If all you are doing is off-road then I guess the cheapest way is to just change the sprocket like you say.

The best thing I did was get rid of the stock throttle. You can easily change this to any halls throttle you want.

n2mb said:
Offroader said:

They were doing a lot of crack downs a year or two back. The police even had a special name for it and a twitter account that showed all the electric bikes they were confiscating. I don't believe they do these anymore and they seem to be less strict about electric bikes. I would also think the Mayor said to go easy on the electric bikes in NYC.

They now allow pedal assist bikes and many bike sharing bikes are electric pedal assist and they are all around the city.

They also passed some legislation in New York recently to allow electric bikes. The issue is New York State has a State ban on electric bikes but that is even being lifted. New York State is the only state in USA that has a complete ban on electric bikes.

I would say there are more electric bikes now than ever in Manhattan, they are all over the place. My issue of course is the Sur-Ron is more like riding a motorcycle than an Ebike. However, I do not get bothered as I wear a regular bicycle helmet and do not ride the bike so often.

New York to legalize controversial e-bikes and scooters
https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/new-york-legalizes-controversial-e-bikes-and-scooters/

yea with a controller upgrade you will fit both worlds.
Nucular is ready to install. only need a bit more time to do it. with flux weakening maybe i switch to 60 or 62T on the rear.
Battery will be the same and the 85a i read about is not that much. so most power will come from big rear sprocket and above flux weaken will do the top speed. nucular shows even phase amps while flux kicks in and all that whining about efficiency is nonsens. headwinds kill efficiency way wayyyyy more then flux weaken amps.

on my LMX stock 16s got me 58/59 GPS kmh....with Flux i got 75kph GPS.

heres a Video ....its german but i added english subs =)

[youtube]Ncp8LzlK42g[/youtube]

Do those mirrors on your handlebar help you easily see behind you?

Do you have a link to the ones you have on your bike.

Thanks.

i see everything behind me(as i told -or wrote- in the video :p).
normaly left side is enough but my girl always rides wayyyy more right and so i installed the right side too :D

dont know if you can get them world wide.
its this one: Busch & Müller Cycle Star
~8€

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/2482415_-cycle-star-busch-mueller.html

I have never had problems with lifting up the wheel with 52T at low speed. Especially easy off road!
The stock 48T is not fun at all, I admit.

New X controller, "V2" is sick! 90DC Amps and 450Phase. The difference is really there.
And when I drop in the 13p 30Q battery the bike is really wild compared to the stock pack due to low voltage sag.

Been doing 10 cycles with the belt now. The thing is so awesome! But still consider it as experiment.
Btw the stock o-ring chain is so fricking stiff. You can hardly bend it so you probably lose 50W alone because of those o-rings compared to the old chain.

1hs56zs.jpeg

wfbp2w.jpeg

17if6fg.jpeg

Every one who tries it out just says - take my money! So I do the swap on the new bikes before the pickup.
qdxmdm.jpeg

Merlin said:
not worth. go for 58T and install bigger rear tire. For offroad best choice.

I agree with this, if one is putting a larger/taller tire on, the 58T would be better.. That being said, I ran a 48T, 52T, 55T and a 58T on my SurRon at a body weight of 250 pounds. The 55T took me up every hill the 58T did, and had a 2MPH higher top speed on the flat. I think if using the stock tires, the 55T is king of the sprockets.

Allex said:
I have never had problems with lifting up the wheel with 52T at low speed. Especially easy off road!

New X controller, "V2" is sick! 90DC Amps and 450Phase. The difference is really there.
And when I drop in the 13p 30Q battery the bike is really wild compared to the stock pack due to low voltage sag.

Been doing 10 cycles with the belt now. The thing is so awesome! But still consider it as experiment.
Btw the stock o-ring chain is so fricking stiff. You can hardly bend it so you probably lose 50W alone because of those o-rings compared to the old chain.

1hs56zs.jpeg

wfbp2w.jpeg

17if6fg.jpeg

Every one who tries it out just says - take my money! So I do the swap on the new bikes before the pickup.
qdxmdm.jpeg

So there is a new X controller? Damn. Feeling doubly annoyed that I got one from the bad batch without Regen.

Merlin said:
i see everything behind me(as i told -or wrote- in the video :p).
normaly left side is enough but my girl always rides wayyyy more right and so i installed the right side too :D

dont know if you can get them world wide.
its this one: Busch & Müller Cycle Star
~8€

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/2482415_-cycle-star-busch-mueller.html

Didn't realize you had to click CC to get the captions/subtitles. I thought that was only for you tube to translate for you. I assume you wrote those in yourself.

From what I understand you zip tied those mirrors? They didn't clamp on? Maybe you can post a close up picture of how those attach to neatly and close to your handlebar.

I need something like that to see behind me mainly for the police. I once must have had police tailing me for a long time and didn't realize it until they pulled up ride beside me.

Allex said:

1hs56zs.jpeg

wfbp2w.jpeg

17if6fg.jpeg

qdxmdm.jpeg
The belt you have on the bike is total different from what i have...Why is this? you have some red layer in the tooth?

Offroader said:
I need something like that to see behind me mainly for the police. I once must have had police tailing me for a long time and didn't realize it until they pulled up ride beside me.

I had the same issue. I have mirrors already and they have a pretty decent view, but you have to look at them once in a while.

Back