Electrohodaka Electric Hodaka Conversion

Tomcat

100 µW
Starting my first ES thread!
Thank you to the ES Community for being here.

I am building an electric moped conversion using the HPM3000B golden motor and a 1969 Hodaka Ace 90 Frame.
I will be using a Kelly controller purchased from AMP an ES member. Currently I have almost completed the rolling frame chassis. All of the parts came individually from e bay and I am assembling them piece by piece. I am trying to find a proper 420 chain sprocket to fit the Golden Motor HPM3000B 20mm shaft with a key.

The next major step will be doing to wiring diagrams and systems. I would like to use a DC-DC converter to run 12 Volt headlights and signals. The end goal is to be able to use this on the road in Washington State as a moped with a license plate. I realize that this frame is very heavy compared to new efficient aluminum design, lighter rims and lighter weight forks. I do not have access to frame fabrication equipment, so I decided to do a conversion. I estimate roughly that this will have a very limited range, due to vehicle weight. Also making it road legal may not be possible. I am really enjoying the build so far.

tumblr_p6qma7CpN71qz6zgxo1_1280.jpg

Cool build there, the stuff here on ES never ceases to amaze me. I will try to watch this one, used to ride Hodaka Dirt Squirt 100 and then Super Rat 100 model. Local shop sold them, I remember the prices well, $449.00 for the Dirt Squirt and $499.00 for the Super Rat (which was actually a pretty hot little bike), that was a lot of paper route money back in those days! They are sort of a cult collectors item now, heard there's even some kind of Hodaka convention every year where they get together and show them off and swap parts and stuff. Good luck with the project.

Still working on finding a 20mm sprocket for a 420 Motorcycle chain. I contacted Golden Motor through their online support and they said that they do not provide any support for finding or purchasing sprockets. They would not answer even the size of the key stock needed. I found an approximation on the mechanical drawings they provided (5mm). They also said that they only provide the motors and controllers. Its disappointing because they show multiple electric motorcycles on their website. I am going to see if I can get something machined in my area. I can weld, but I still would have to machine out a sprocket. All of the 420 Chain sprockets have a smaller than 20mm inner diameter. I will post my findings here.

I wonder if you could have an adapter machined and run many different sprockets?

Switching from a huge Kelly controller to a smaller possibly under-powered for the project Phaserunner!

torker said:
I wonder if you could have an adapter machined and run many different sprockets?

@ Torker, I found something like that with a roller chain sprocket manufacturer. They have a "taper lock" collar that can accept various sprockets. I am going to try out a #41 roller chain sprocket of this type to see if it will work with the 420 chain. I should find out in a week or so. Ill post pictures when I receive the parts.

Meanwhile I ordered the battery for this build from EM3ev. It is one of their new hard packs with internal cell fusing. I am excited to try it out and to see the fit and finish. Also on order, is a CA from Grin tec and a Phaserunner. The Phaserunner is too small for this motor, however it matches the amp limit of the battery perfectly. I know that the phaserunner has to be programmed to the motor specifically so I found a Russian video showing a golden motor 3000HPM tear down. This shows 10 magnets in the configuration. I think this might be 10 poles for the phase-runner programming. Now I have to figure out what the rpms settings for the motor may be so I can run the auto tune feature. ****UPDATE 11/13/18, the correct poles for this motor are between 8 and 10 (Previously misstated as 12) . I have been getting the controller to run on both settings. I am going to set it to 10 to start and see how it preforms!
Excited to try this stuff out in 3 weeks when I get the Phaserunner! If it does not work with this motor I will find another purpose for it. I also know it may take some trial and error to reach success or failure.

Current State of the conversion.
Just ordered aluminum and steel plates to replace the laser cut plywood motor mount and sidewalls.
The motor has spun up using the controller.
Currently making the 12V wiring harness for the turn signals and head lights.
I want to push through and have this running by March or sooner!
tumblr_pi5nlwjEHu1qz6zgxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pi5nmkO87j1qz6zgxo1_1280.jpg

This is looking awesome. I know you mentioned earlier you were nervous the weight would hold back your range and top speed but personally I would much rather have a heavy duty frame that I know can handle probably 50 mph and has the components to take some abuse than a super light weight mountain bike. I think your mechanical components will hold up much better through the pot holes and road stresses since you will be close to the original weight.

I am excited to see your final figures when its running though. I am just getting my feet wet in this community but I want to work my way up to a moped with reasonable range. It would make my errand runs so much more enjoyable (in nice weather).

That's awesome man. I just finished my build on a
1970 Hodaka ace 100. I will post it here soon. Or check out @boomelectriccycles on Instagram for build progression pics.

Back