new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went back and looked at the terminal blocks. I did not understand what they were about but after looking at the pictures I see the screws so now it makes some sense to me.

I hope to get my storage here next month and order some new tips DA recommended so I can start soldering and shrink wrapping again so I can make professional looking plugs and adapters.

I will also need to start assembling large capacity packs with quality BMSs that have short circuit protection as well as low voltage as well as charge AND discharge balancing.

I would appreciate some links for BMSs which have all the features mentioned above or most of them. Defiantly short circuit protection.

I also am interested in knowing how many cells are recommended to be wired in parallel. I would like to order a lot of 100 or more cells which have been tested to 85 or 90% capacity and build a large 10S pack consisting of 30 or 40 cells. Will a 3P or 4P 10S pack work with a single BMS ?

I could use three BMSs - 30 cells each for a 90 cell 10S - 9P pack. That would be ideal for 40 mile round trips, Please let me know.

Thanks.

LC out.

I got this one working on the pack for my electric motorcycle a few months ago:

Smart-Bluetooth-Battery-16S-32S-bms-protection-Board-PHONE-APP-Lifepo4-li-ion-Lithium-CELLS-70A.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976242083.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.13.566b37adkd315I

It's a bit on the pricey side compared to a "Dumb" BMS, but it does everything, short circuit protection, charge protection (on a different line to the discharge, so it's harder to screw up).

Everything is programmable to the Nth degree, (configurable, rather, since no code is required), so if you want a long life out of your battery, program it to stop charge and balance to 4.0v instead of 4.2v. Got special cells that discharge safely down to 2.5v? Well, set cut off at 2.3 volt under load, and 2.51v at rest.

Get the screen as well - It will give you full detail on what's going on in your pack, and can be integrated with your controller to give you standard speedometer/odometer readings, etc. Real time power draw.

I know it's probably more than you wanted to spend, but as long as you look after it, it's probably the only BMS you will ever need, and you can carry it from pack to pack, if you make the connectors modular.

Edit: Link to the cheaper and smaller 8-24S version: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974177618.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.2.19a167f5O02ut7

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns.

Wiped out again on the bike. Thought my shoulder was dislocated but just a contusion. Went to emergency room for x rays. Damage to rotater cuff. Will need MRI but tore that many times in the past lifting weights but not as bad.

Moved about 53 miles from motel to City of Canton. Population 80,000. Was riding 2.8 miles to Wall Mart and started raining and did not bring plastic to cover my electronics. Was looking for somewhere to get a plastic bag and cut across some grass by Auto zone and flipped the bike. Over handlebars and directly on my right shoulder.

Was only going about 5 mph but there was a manhole or storm drain about 4 or 5 inches below the grass but completely camouflaged as tall grass all around it. When I showed the lady who worked at Auto Zone I had to stare hard for several seconds just to see it. Almost invisible unless you are looking for it. She said it is the City. I said they need to put a red flag or a cone there. Someone will break their ankle or something for sure.

I went to the library and found a different way to travel to Wall-Mart and have been there twice since then with no mishaps. Again it was not my fault. Last winter it was a patch of Black ice and same shoulder. I believe serious permanent damage to right rotater cuff now and will need MRI and dye to document it for Social Security. I have a medical update for disability this year and have rotater cuff damage as well as Gout to add to my list of disabilities. Thanks.

LC out.

Dude, seriously? Not your fault? You rode across a lawn, not a bike path... I found that if I take responsibility for my decisions I soon lose the aura of victim. Hang in there! Pain sucks! Glad to read it’s not more serious. That woulda trashed me for months.

My parents were sued by an old lady who claimed she tripped in front of our property. On advice of a lawyer, my parents offered her medical costs and one year of in home assistance to avoid a law suit. Came to about 100k aud, maybe about 70k USD equivalent.

She refused and put in a claim for 1.3 million. Good thing she called Saul Goodman. Their lawyer was not only a shonk, he was incompetent.

First claim was that we damaged footpath. Judge pointed out that footpath is council responsibility, irrespective of who damaged it, (otherwise we would have responsibility to repair, but no authority to do so) so case ajourned and the council is added as a defendant. We agree to split costs with council for a Queen's Counsellor (Most senior lawyer you can get, usually charge 8k a day)

QC argues that if she tripped on a footpath in broad dayligh, the danger was obvious, and she failed to take reasonable care of her own safety and therefore council is not responsible. Also shows photos of our "damaged" footpath, vs the rest of the footpath, and judge says if the photos weren't labelled, he couldn't tell the difference. Judge rules that as the damage is readily apparent and isn't all that severe, the plantiff is 100% responsible for her own injuries, dismissed the case and awards standard costs.

She appeals again, saying her lawyer misunderstood her instructions and she actually tripped over debris hidden in long grass that we left there. New judge is absolutely puzzled as to how that kind of miscommunication can happen, so our QC takes a different approach. Asks us to pay for a PI to film her doing thing she said as a result of the injury, she couldn't do. E.g she asked 1.3m for lifetime home care because she could no longer bend over to clean. Get a video of her bending over.

PI did an amazing job. The judge comments that she looks extremely fit and able for her age.

Our QC presses the case: This woman is a liar. She lied about where she fell, she lied about the impact. She didn't call and ambulance and didn't use her normal GP, she went to a GP family friend to write up the assessment of her injuries (PI found that too). Judge agrees and labels her a vexatious litigant. What that means is that she cannot bring us, or any other party to a civil claim, until her lawyer has laid the facts in front of a magistrate AND puts the estimated costs up as a bond before the case starts. Unsurprisingly, he also awards maximum costs.

So the woman now has gone from a position being offered 100k to being 280k in debt. (Those QCs are not cheap!).

Anyway, most of that story wasn't all that relevant. I just found it interesting the process the judge went through to determine whether firstly you took reasonable care of your own safety, and secondly whether there was negligence on behalf of who you claim is responsible. Yes, there is risk riding through long grass. But also yes, the council is responsible for mowing grass and marking hazards. In Australia at least, its possible partial compensation could be paid, depending on how much the judge though each party contributed to the accident.

Anyway LC, glad you are mostly ok.

I did not think it was a good idea to sue the city less than a week being here. The cops would all hate me and give me a hard time.

I was only hoping the city could mark such dangerous spots to prevent someone else getting hurt. It is no fun flipping a bike and damaging a rotater cuff which was already tore and damaged many times in the past.

I am seeing a doctor about this injury and will let him know how it happened. It should be brought up at a city council meeting though so such hazards can be marked but doubt it will happen.

Maybe if the mayors mother or aunt step in the hole and break an ankle or hip falling then it will be addressed. Nobody who runs any city gives a ratts ass about people from out of town unless they are a tourist spending big money. :(

Thanks.

LC out.

latecurtis said:
It should be brought up at a city council meeting though so such hazards can be marked but doubt it will happen.

LC out.

Just send an email with a photo to the appropriate department. No need for a council meeting on something so basic. Or - novel thing - you could bring some clippers and just trip the grass yourself to help the next fella not hurt himself.

Thanks for posting. Good to hear from you.

Those holes are all over the city. My shoulder is healing up. I went to get an MRI done and it is a rotator cuff tear as I suspected.

I am going to the Ortho doc. tomorrow. I have been steering clear of that area where I got hurt as there is heavy traffic there. A lot of on and off ramps and intersections. With my luck I probably get run over going back there to mark the spot and if I did it would be removed when the city cuts the grass.

Hopefully I will be getting my stuff out of storage soon and should be back to building e bikes again. Thanks.

LC out.

8/3/19

Went to the ortho doc. He said shoulder needs surgery . Bad rotator cuff tears on two major tendons.
Was on my way to Wall-Mart and the bike kept shutting down and was close to full charge and less that a mile riding. Happened before and at least a couple times, I then noticed sparks coming from the kill switch. Very notacable when I switched it on after switching it off and checking connections. I saw Auto Zone and about a block after passing it did a U turn and switched off and walked a block there to replace the switch. No Spark now and good as new but for how long. Switch is rated for 420 watts and 35 amps at 12 volt. I need a 36 volt switch and should be rated > 500 watts as that is what the e bikeling motor is rated for.
Please let me know. Thanks

LC out.

As the hub motor stops turning and the Lipo Fire stops burning.

The end of an era, hey... That's sad, but I understand.

I think you're wrong in one sense, but right in another. Ebikes are before their time. They are not practical - Yet. It's like taking that high tech 11:1 compression, high revving motor with a hybrid system back to the 1960s. It's superior to those big block V8 motors running 6:1... but in a time where nobody cares about efficiency or emissions, and when fuel quality is so inconsistent, you'll just blow up your motor and have people wonder why you bother with all this uneccessary complexity. It's solving a problem that people in the 1960s don't have, and don't understand yet.

Ebikes are like that now. Before their time, rather than not practical. They have benefits nobody wants, and they are a curiosity that just draws attention to you.

I think it's changing though. As hundreds of millions or BRICs Brazil, Russia, India, China citizens come out of poverty into middle class, the demand for cars and petrol will make it only available to the elite and the rich.

But enterprising people will build ebikes with panniers and windshields, and powered biker clothing will become more common and available. Combined mode transport, where you easily dock your bike onto a bus or train for longer trips and use it for the "last mile" ( or 5) will become common.

But... not for a while. Too long, in my mind. There's no commercial incentive to drive change while cars and petrol are cheap and convenient enough.

It has been a good journey LC. Frustrating at times, but encouraging, fun, and we got to know you as a friend online. Take care mate. I wish you all the best.

Sounds like you are substituting "car replacement" with "practical." Ebikes can be very practical. But they aren't nearly as versatile as the typical automobile. Because of that, they can seldom completely replace one.

I've replaced about 70-80% of my single person car trips with ebike trips and about 60-70% of my single person car miles with ebike miles in the last couple years.

I've had two Honda Civics in the past. They were very good and very practical cars.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. I probably wont ever stop building e bikes. Maybe just slow down.

I don't think any off the shelf bike rack would hold 120lbs. They're usually secured to the rear hanger, which isn't designed to hold that kind of weight.

I could be wrong though, because bike pegs do exist, and they are designed for teens who could hit that weight, but not my area of expertise.

You'd be better off getting a tandem, or a second bike.

With regards to waterproofing, I do have a 3D printer, so if you need to encase something and make it water resistant with grommets/cable entries and silicone, I can print off anything you need and mail it to you. (As long as you do the drawing - There's free software like www.tinkercad.com you can use).

Sunder said:
You'd be better off getting a tandem, or a second bike.

I'd throw a Free Radical Xtracycle conversion into the mix as a possibility. You can sometimes find used ones for a good price on Craigslist.

I have to work with what I have. I will get steel bars, Nuts and bolts. Whatever I need to make it work. 120 pounds is maximum. She is about 110 and am looking at a bolt in banana type seat Actually the seat is all I will need help finding.

I am very familiar with flat steel bar at home depot and steel drill bits. It just has to be about double the strength as what I have already built. Pegs on the rear wheels and good tires and tubes.

What I am looking at with each build is upgrades. I miss working on them and the e bike workshop. I even built an awesome pack out of 18650 cells and even hooked a BMS. Would still be running if I did not hook up wrong. It was proven to be a strong pack.

I just need an alternate mode of transportation which is more mainstream and practical. A gas powered vehicle. That will cost money so any and all e bike related projects are on a back burner on low flame or life support for awhile. A few months at least. I will require a booming stereo in my new ride. That is never optional with me. Thanks.

LC out.

... then do a search on DIY Long Tail Cargo bikes for ideas on how to extend a bike by adding the rear triangle to the back of another. Most of the simpler projects are essentially do it yourself Xtracycles. Be double sure that the bike is sound before giving others a ride.

Thank you. That makes sense.

My savings for a car is not going well. Lucky if there is 100 left towards it by the time the 3rd of September rolls around.

Paying 95 a month for storage 500 miles away hurts. I am paying for stuff I cant use and have no transportation to go there and haul it here.

I do not want to lose it. I have 5 working e bikes there and the FX 75-5 motor and controller , About 8 or 10 other bikes and frames and spare parts including both LiPo chargers and my old LiPo batteries , all my tools. About 4 computers including a gaming machine with a Ryzen 7 1800X processor and liquid cooling. 3 large aquariums and a bunch of other stuff that I cant ever use and have to keep paying for. Thanks.

LC out.

I have very few tools to work with here but Chad , the guy down stairs has a gas powered bicycle and is mechanically inclined. I will need to find the old installation instructions as Doug in NY is the one who installed the motor. I did not and am not sure where all the washers go. It is my only rear hub motor. The other three uub motors in storage in NY are front hub motors. Please help with a diagram if possible. Thanks.

LC out.

latecurtis said:
8/31/19

Since I moved in this apartment which is mostly carpet I notice me feet and ankles itch all the time and place was sprayed by exterminator for bed bugs right after we moved in. We got a zip up plastic mattress for bed and box spring so not getting bit in bed but everywhere else where there is carpet my feet itch if I take off my socks. I decided to solve the problem by spending 100 bucks on a brand new carpet steam cleaner at Wall- Mart and will be spraying all the carpet with a gallon bedbug and flea spray from Home depot before running the steam cleaner this week end.

LC out.
Careful with chemicals to kill bugs. Them chemicals also kill humans. Lets tackle this like a war. First we have to identify the enemy. Any bite marks on your feet, legs? Take pictures. Years ago my legs were itchy. Had no idea what was the cause? tried different bar soap in the shower. That was not the problem. Finally figured out that crappy laundry soap was the problem. Socks touch my skin. Problem was name brand laundry detergent from https://www.dollargeneral.com To let it be known name brand laundry detergent from Dollar General is not the same as name brand laundry detergent from the supermarket. Now we use laundry detergent without dyes or perfumes from https://www.bjs.com

Years ago a heating cooling guy was telling me that Honeywell thermostats from Home Depot were not the same as Honeywell thermostats from Plumbing Wholesale place. Same part number. Home Depot thermostats were lower quality. Lower price also. So it don't matter if ya buying thermostats or laundry detergent. Important to get good stuff.

Re: "carpet steam cleaner" From my knowledge of carpet cleaning. A carpet cleaning machine sprays soapy water on the carpet then vacuums it up. No steam. Best carpet cleaning guy used a shop vac. That guy was a legend in the world of carpet cleaning. He died. I have done this with a rented carpet cleaner. If carpets look dirty? Better option is to remove and throw away.

Careful not to get too much water on carpets or floor under will be damaged. Also some bugs love water. Best way to get rig of all bugs is to clean, clean, clean. Also repair any water issues. Leaks, roof, plumbing, etc.

Tenant from hell was all excited about some free carpet he got from a music studio. He told me that carpet was hanging on a wall for 30 years and was in perfect condition. I helped him carry it into my house. To let it be known nothing good happens to carpet or fabric after 30 years. The backing on the carpet was all deteriorated. Carrying it made me itchy. I get itchy now thinking about that old deteriorated carpet. Tenant from hell went to jail and I threw away all his carpets. Went to jail for a probation violation. Told me that drug counselor told him to write a story about his drug use and the counselor did not like his story?

Before ripping out carpet, ask permission from landlord. What do floors look like under carpet? Pull a corner up and look. To let it be known professional carpet installers work real fast and do not clean the floor. They have been known to lay carpets over dead bodies. To let it be known some bugs are attracted to dead animals.

To let it be known I apologize about the over use of the words - To let it be known :(

Best way to get rig of all bugs is to clean, clean, clean.

latecurtis said:
Thank you. That makes sense.

My savings for a car is not going well. Lucky if there is 100 left towards it by the time the 3rd of September rolls around.

Paying 95 a month for storage 500 miles away hurts. I am paying for stuff I cant use and have no transportation to go there and haul it here.

I do not want to lose it. I have 5 working e bikes there and the FX 75-5 motor and controller , About 8 or 10 other bikes and frames and spare parts including both LiPo chargers and my old LiPo batteries , all my tools. About 4 computers including a gaming machine with a Ryzen 7 1800X processor and liquid cooling. 3 large aquariums and a bunch of other stuff that I cant ever use and have to keep paying for. Thanks.

LC out.
Paying to store stuff sucks. I got more stuff then I want. Sometimes I wish that all I owned is a phone, computer and some clothing.

Perhaps you might be interested in the services of Marty's Moving Company? I live in Buffalo NY. Half way between Canton, Ohio and Albany, New York. At $1 a mile, total cost would be $1000.

Look:
Moving Company Questions?

After researching how to move a 1000 pounds of stuff from Buffalo to Florida I determined that a trucking company was lowest cost way to transport stuff. Here is how I did this. Step one. Get some pallets. They are free or buy some nice used ones. Get a scale and weigh everything you want to move. Don't forget to weigh the pallets. Since I don't have a forklift and I can not lift 1000 pounds. I took the 1000 pounds of stuff and a pallet to the trucking place. Put the pallet on the ground and put the 1000 pounds of stuff on the pallet. Then wrapped the whole thing with a mile of Stretch Wrap Film.
prod_1611253112.jpg

Walking around a pallet 100's of times makes me dizzy.

No idea how to choose a trucking company? I stumbled around the internet and found http://www.centraltransportint.com/ I was happy with their services. Receiver was not happy. Sorry you get what you pay for. Delivered by truck is not the same as personal service by a guy with U-Haul truck.

Central Transport has a web site where you can calculate costs. Shipper needs to create a bill of lading. That's a paper. Central Transport web site has a form to create the paper.

Ballpark cost of using FedEx, UPS or USPS is $1 a pound.

Don't forget boxes, magic marker, tape and dispenser, hand truck, knife, newspapers for packing, blankets, scales, water, snacks, fruit. Am I forgetting anything?

Ran some quick numbers on U-Haul and the truck from NYC to Canton is $788 for three days and 538 miles (Google maps puts the drive distance at around 460 miles). Assuming 10 mpg and $3/gallon gas, that's $165 for gas. Let's just call it $200. So yes, it's about $1000 to move a 15 foot truck full of stuff from NYC to Canton.

None of these calculations includes insurance costs.

A 10 ft truck would only be $50 cheaper.

The truck cost going the other direction from Canton to NYC is only $503. Seems like more people are moving stuff out of NYC with U-Haul than into NYC with U-Haul.

Thank you both for posting and glad to hear from you guys.

Renting steam cleaners are not the same as owning one. I can clean as much as I want all the time.

Moving stuff is always a tragedy money wise if you are without a truck or motor vehicle. Or help from someone with a vehicle.

Hopefully I can solve these problems and get on with building e bikes which is what I love doing. Thanks.

LC out.

9/3/19

I guess the only way to get the back wheel on right is to remove the disk brake. Running it with no rear brake is better than having the wheel fall off. I guess I will be walking to Wall Mart to get allen wrenches because all my tools are 500 miles away. :cry:

9/4/19

It is 1:53 am

I was right as soon as I removed the disk brake disk the axle fit perfect in the drop out. I did not have to remove the caliper so there is a possibility if there is a disk slightly smaller I could run disk brakes again. The drop outs are not that deep to begin with. Just enough to fit the axle so the way it was was a disaster waiting to happen. I am surprised the wheel stayed on as long as it did. The wheel is not bent but perfect and straight. If anything got screwed up when I flipped the bike it was something to do with the disk brakes.

Like I said Doug installed the motor and the bike had 27.5" wheels on it but could not find a motor kit so 26" wheels are now on the bike. Axle nuts are nice and tight and even put the torque arm back on also.

Not sure if any other type of brake would work on it since it is a 26" wheel with a bike built for 27.5" wheels. I may just have to run it with just the front brake. Not sure if there is a way to modify it or install a custom bracket for a U or V brake. Please let me know if anyone would know. Thanks.

LC out.

9/11/19

Went to Wallmart to pick up a wet vac for the shower as the drain is slightly higher than the floor and stagnate bacteria grows on my shower floor but no more with the little wet shop vac.

The bike runs great now but only front disk brake. I am not sure if there is a slightly smaller brake disk so I can have rear brakes again. If there is I will want a bike shop to install it properly.

Perhaps there is an adjustment on the disk caliper so I can use my current disk. Not sure. All I know is the disk I have now prevents the axle from going all the way in the drop out so am unable to use it. Does anyone know if there are different size disks and has any one else had this issue with hub motors.

The bike frame is for 27.5" wheels and the hub motor is 26" so could be the problem. Doug installed the motor last winter I think and I did not have any issue until I had to replace the tire and tube at the Wall Mart parking lot about 10 days ago I think. Please post when you can.

Thanks.

LC out.

9/14/19

found a bike shop close enough willing to properly install my rear brake. 15 bucks labor and possibly 20 bucks for slightly smaller disk if needed.They mentioned a spacer could be missing. I think they said spacer or some part.

Doug installed the rear motor in NY and rode it several hundred miles total before the flat. Probably got somewhere between 500 and 1,000 miles on it. Not sure. Could even be more.

Looking forwards to having the bike fully functional again. Thanks.

LC out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-SunPower-327W-Mono-Solar-Panel-327-Watts-SPR-327NE-WHT-D/323929378136?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3Dd68c7b19df694580814169bd515b17dd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D273286953872%26itm%3D323929378136%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Please Sunder if you are there please reply or anyone who might know. Looking to invest in solar power awhile I live here as all utilities are included. When I move though to a bigger place where I can have an e bike workshop I will need these. Also I live in a 5 apartment unit and am the only tenet on the third floor.

Since all utilities included am only unit allowed air conditioning and any electric heater strictly prohibited. My wife got phenomena last September. Other tenants say it is cold here with heat.

Please help me. I just want my place to be warm. I would guess heat here will be below 70 in our sleeping area and huge inconvience to move that due to space allowed. It is a studio / efficiency attic unit. Looking at 500 or 600 watt infra red heater and need enough solar panels to accommodate that and would love to buy additional each month for my next place.

The apartment has a window which has a wood built fire escape unit which is a platform and wood steps to second floor roof. I have a lot of options for mounting solar panels.

Thanks.

LC out

Forget Solar!
Insulate your ceiling.
Apartments below you will provide great heat!

You think you are going to generate enough electricity from solar panels, to run electric space heaters?

No.

A landlord is required to provide decent heating, by law. Oil, gas, pellet stove are all a lot more practical and cheaper than electric, even using mains power which is much much cheaper than solar.

And solar is simply not powerful enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back