Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Does anyone find the stock sur-ron handlebar doesn't feel right when holding it? It seems it puts your wrists in an odd position or something. I'm not talking about the low height.

The reason I notice this is that I was using a 3" aftermarket deity handlebar and that felt very good. Then I put back on my Sur-Ron handlebar, as I bought a new fork, and right away I can feel my wrists are in a position that does not feel right. It also seems I am not getting used to it.

I do know there are different sweeps with the handlebars and I am wondering if this is the case?

I am wondering if you guys also feel that the Sur-Ron handlebar is curved oddly (maybe called sweep) and is not very comfortable. I am not talking about the height as I have an uncut steerer tube on my new fox fork and I have raised the height about the same as my 3" Deity handle bar.

I'm thinking of just putting back on my 3" deity handlebar and cutting the steerer tube because I can't stand the Sur-Ron handlebar. I just didn't want to cut my steerer tube, so maybe I will have to get a new Deity handlebar that doesn't have a 3" rise.

EDIT: It does say this in the diety handlebar specs I bought. I think they may be right about ultimate comfort as this bar is way comfortable to hold.

9 degree bend / backsweep and 5 degree upsweep for ultimate comfort

https://www.deitycomponents.com/store/p17/DEITY_HIGHSIDE_760_HANDLEBAR_%2F%2F%2F_80mm_RISE.html

You guys may want to consider getting a new handlebar because you may not realize how much the stock one sucks in so many ways, height and sweep. You will also not realize how much it sucks and screws up the ride until you replace it.

Offroader said:
Does anyone find the stock sur-ron handlebar doesn't feel right when holding it? It seems it puts your wrists in an odd position or something. I'm not talking about the low height.

The reason I notice this is that I was using a 3" aftermarket deity handlebar and that felt very good. Then I put back on my Sur-Ron handlebar, as I bought a new fork, and right away I can feel my wrists are in a position that does not feel right. It also seems I am not getting used to it.

I do know there are different sweeps with the handlebars and I am wondering if this is the case?

I am wondering if you guys also feel that the Sur-Ron handlebar is curved oddly (maybe called sweep) and is not very comfortable. I am not talking about the height as I have an uncut steerer tube on my new fox fork and I have raised the height about the same as my 3" Deity handle bar.

I'm thinking of just putting back on my 3" deity handlebar and cutting the steerer tube because I can't stand the Sur-Ron handlebar. I just didn't want to cut my steerer tube, so maybe I will have to get a new Deity handlebar that doesn't have a 3" rise.

EDIT: It does say this in the diety handlebar specs I bought. I think they may be right about ultimate comfort as this bar is way comfortable to hold.

https://www.deitycomponents.com/store/p17/DEITY_HIGHSIDE_760_HANDLEBAR_%2F%2F%2F_80mm_RISE.html

You guys may want to consider getting a new handlebar because you may not realize how much the stock one sucks in so many ways, height and sweep. You will also not realize how much it sucks and screws up the ride until you replace it.

The stock ones have a unique bend profile. I eventually got used to it, but I did have plans to change the bars at one point before I sold it.

Handlebars are like clothes/shoes.
Iam not mad at a stock handlebar because I have to replace them always.
Some are picky some are not. If it feel not right... Change somrthing. Pushing the bar a bit forward /back changes also angles to your wrists.

I can't count how many handlebars I have tried in my life :D
But from that trying you get some experiences in which way you have to go on buying a new one.

Offroader said:

I chose the odi and renthal cross-country bike handlebars, which felt great

Jammen said:
First post! Lurking for awhile, figured I should give back. :wink:

Rockshox Coil Spring Boxxer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SR3MB2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That'll fit in the RST Killah. You'll need to take apart the weird like 6+" preload spacer they have in there and cut a piece of PVC down to 2" or 3". I think it was 1" diameter PVC but double check me.

Huge difference to have the extra firm spring for my 215# self!

This is one of the many modifications I wish I had done within the first month of owning the bike. It does make a world of difference when the factory RST fork stays compressed under the bike's own weight. It's nice being able to ride without the fork bottoming out all the time.

sn0wchyld said:
does anyone know the stock X controller phase amps?

it may have changed from the first version of the x controller to a new version recently.

The Sur-Ron motor is getting hot in the summer heat. Touching the motor starts to burn my hand after 5-10 seconds.

I had a feeling this would be an issue once the summer hit and outside temps are 90F.

I am really not sure how hot this motor should feel considering it is different than a hub motor. My hub motors got just as hot on the surface but when the hub motors were that hot you had to be careful because the windings were easily overheated. It took just 10 seconds of full throttle for it to go into overheating temp zone.

I am still surprised many of you are not worried about this issue and just assume the motor will be OK. NO temp gauge, no problem.
Maybe this is the case since nobody has burnt up their motor yet.

I still can't wait to see when you guys start modifying your controllers and battery packs and don't really care that the motor has no temp gauge as you push the bike up over 10KW. :flame: :flame:

What I found is that 70F days are far different than 90F days when it comes to overheating and I am seeing this. The motor seems to not be able to cool itself in 90F summer heat, while with 70F days it was much cooler. The Sur-Ron motor also does not have very good airflow, to practically no air flow at all. It is complete blocked by the skid plate.

Offroader said:
The Sur-Ron motor is getting hot in the summer heat. Touching the motor starts to burn my hand after 5-10 seconds.

I had a feeling this would be an issue once the summer hit and outside temps are 90F.

I am really not sure how hot this motor should feel considering it is different than a hub motor. My hub motors got just as hot on the surface but when the hub motors were that hot you had to be careful because the windings were easily overheated. It took just 10 seconds of full throttle for it to go into overheating temp zone.

I am still surprised many of you are not worried about this issue and just assume the motor will be OK. NO temp gauge, no problem.
Maybe this is the case since nobody has burnt up their motor yet.

I still can't wait to see when you guys start modifying your controllers and battery packs and don't really care that the motor has no temp gauge as you push the bike up over 10KW. :flame: :flame:

What I found is that 70F days are far different than 90F days when it comes to overheating and I am seeing this. The motor seems to not be able to cool itself in 90F summer heat, while with 70F days it was much cooler.

That's strange. Mine stays totally cool... Barely warm to the touch after long rides.

wuhaichao443 said:
One of the necessary jobs after 7,000 kilometers

Can you measure the bolt circle on the front sprocket please? Or if someone else has it, please post it. I'd like to make a counterbored bolt circle on a shoulder sprocket to offset the chain about six mm and I don't want to take my bike apart just yet. I have the rear sprocket circle. _Thanks

Let's start with a few Sur-Ron website quotes:
"Inspected by the strict quality standards, come the best quality product.​"

"Professional off-road bike technology"

mVhtEyj.jpg

This rear mud guard and light holder is a piece of shit. And I didn't even hit anything with it.
I tried to limp home like this, but the left side also broke shortly after.

Looking at the type of metal used in this pos, it reminds me of the first Chinese pit bike imports years ago. They were like death traps because the frames loved to split in two at the worst moments, basically kindergarten metallurgy.

I do love my Sur-Ron, but I'm not fooling myself that it's a quality product. The stock brakes are crap, the chain is crap and the tires are also the worst I've ever ridden.
It's disappointing having to spend a lot of money to buy one and then still have issues that are typical for $400 Chinese gas bikes. It's not a new product anymore, these things should've been fixed long ago. Get your act together Sur-Ron.

That sucks, I know the feeling when stuff breaks. Actually, other than the cheap skid plate they used which I had to use a hammer to knock back down today, my bike has been holding up for the most part through lots of abuse. The brakes are not great but they didn't break on me. I upgraded the brakes to Shimano saint breaks and glad I did.

I used my temp gun to check the temps of the exterior of the Sur-Ron motor. With the motor hot I am reading 55c max temps.

I would have thought it would have been hotter. 55C definitely feels burning to my hand but I believe these motors can easily see temps like 130C at the magnets.

My question to you guys is 55c on the surface of the motor OK to continue riding the bike hard? Not sure how you should approach the heat with these motors since the wingdings are on the outside of the motor. Not sure if 55C is the temp on the exterior of the motor what the temps are probably at the magnets inside the motor.

Since it's an inrunner, the temperature difference between the inside and the outside is not that much. Not like a hub motor.
I would stop at 60C. The magnets and hall sensors are the most heat sensitive parts, but they can take quite a bit.

When Luna tried to fry a motor they really put some power into it and it was apparently the windings that burned up before hall or magnet failures.

Please try to not misinform ppl here if you are not sure about the facts.
The motor(P/N 11100-YQ2A-0200 u can find this label when lifting up the skid plate) has a KTY84 temp sensor installed so the protection is present.

Offroader said:
I used my temp gun to check the temps of the exterior of the Sur-Ron motor. With the motor hot I am reading 55c max temps.

I would have thought it would have been hotter. 55C definitely feels burning to my hand but I believe these motors can easily see temps like 130C at the magnets.

My question to you guys is 55c on the surface of the motor OK to continue riding the bike hard? Not sure how you should approach the heat with these motors since the wingdings are on the outside of the motor. Not sure if 55C is the temp on the exterior of the motor what the temps are probably at the magnets inside the motor.

When I had my SurRon, I rode the hell out of it in the mountains. At 250#, I was running stock everything except a 55T rear sprocket and Renthal Chain. I couldn't get the motor to overheat to the point of thermo shutdown. For what thats worth.

Duncan75 said:
Let's start with a few Sur-Ron website quotes:
"Inspected by the strict quality standards, come the best quality product.​"

"Professional off-road bike technology"

This rear mud guard and light holder is a piece of shit. And I didn't even hit anything with it.
I tried to limp home like this, but the left side also broke shortly after.

Looking at the type of metal used in this pos, it reminds me of the first Chinese pit bike imports years ago. They were like death traps because the frames loved to split in two at the worst moments, basically kindergarten metallurgy.

I do love my Sur-Ron, but I'm not fooling myself that it's a quality product. The stock brakes are crap, the chain is crap and the tires are also the worst I've ever ridden.
It's disappointing having to spend a lot of money to buy one and then still have issues that are typical for $400 Chinese gas bikes. It's not a new product anymore, these things should've been fixed long ago. Get your act together Sur-Ron.

The SurRon is a quality bike with some low quality components, but the battery, frame, and motor/running gear is all good quality stuff. The shock, fork, footpegs, chain, stock sprockets and other stuff like that are bottom of the line to keep the price down. I believe the SurRon is worth upgrading.

Luna's Ludicrous R special edition is now available for order:

https://lunacycle.com/luna-ludicrous-r/

They claim double the stock amps. It's over $5k though and they claim they are only going to sell 20 of them ever. I imagine once they sell them, they will offer the Luna Ludicrous R II. :lol:

Allex said:
Please try to not misinform ppl here if you are not sure about the facts.
The motor(P/N 11100-YQ2A-0200 u can find this label when lifting up the skid plate) has a KTY84 temp sensor installed so the protection is present.

Have you traced this KTY84 sensor to the controller? Is there a wire running to it from the motor to the controller?

That is good to know if it does have one, nobody ever mentioned it.

3DTOPO said:

They claim double the stock amps. It's over $5k though and they claim they are only going to sell 20 of them ever. I imagine once they sell them, they will offer the Luna Ludicrous R II. :lol:

That is a really good price for what you get.

You get a modified battery, controller, extra set of tires, Belt Drive,

Honestly, it isn't that much more for all these upgrades. This seems like a very good deal.

They should have ditched the stock handlebar and put on a 3" riser handlebar.I recommend the deity highside.

Offroader said:
3DTOPO said:

That is a really good price for what you get.

You get a modified battery, controller, extra set of tires, Belt Drive,

Honestly, it isn't that much more for all these upgrades. This seems like a very good deal.

They should have ditched the stock handlebar and put on a 3" riser handlebar.I recommend the deity highside.

I didn't say it was a bad deal. I'm laughing at the claim that they will only make 20 of them - ever.

As far as an extra set of tires goes, I have absolutely no need for the moto wheels, so pretty meaningless to me.

Back