72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

Had tons of trouble with just about everything. Its almost there. I got a lot done today but will take it easier over next day then will be busy. But, here it is so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdA-Glj_0o

Will replace cruiser handle with mountain bike handle. I can't stand the cruiser handle bars. Making the fairing for this gonna be probably as hard...

i did a test ride with it together. it feels real heavy; mebe its cruiser profile though i replaced cruiser handle bar with mountain. rode it slow first time found a whole buncha updates and stuff to tighten then did a faster run. im glad i dont have to worry about side panier generator when leaning into a turn now.

have to tidy up wires and then figure out the styling. cant do ducati anymore since rims are blue. i actually dont like blue at all. mebe bmw style naked bike look? i dunno; cant leave it like this though lol. :lol:

https://youtu.be/9_dwsHpnADY

less updates now till i get it all set with fairings and look.

IMG_20190701_160655.jpg
IMG_20190701_160704.jpg
IMG_20190701_160712.jpg

Sorry for the spam. Next update will be completed design which will be 2+ weeks. But, I had a chance to ride it a bit more after tightening everything and I think it is solid. It rides so much smoother than my old mountain bike probably because its a new bike. The mountain bike handlebars on the cruiser does make it semi aggressive riding position but that is what I like from my motorcycle days. No shocks kinda suck but eh its still pretty smooth. I guess no off roading for me. I rode it about 25 miles and 7-9 miles on the generator. The generator vibrations are pretty much the same as gas bike engines when it is frame mounted; I barely felt it when it was so low and a side pannier on the mountain bike. Was hoping that translate but no or maybe my mount sucks.

But, here is the design for the fairings. I am going to do a scrambler style with some street fighter elements. Will get a traditional big round headlight and brown faux leather seat to complete the look. Fairings will be gray top, black mid with orange straight highlights. Will get a piping to route the exhaust to the back. Will take some time to get this done.

Most likely I will not go cross state this summer but the fall. I am scared of random summer thunderstorms really messing me up so early/mid fall.

I kinda hate the blue rims. Can I spray paint this black? I have rim caliper brakes. I am not sure if it will fook up the braking.

final design es.jpg

Tommm said:
Holy smokes have you weighted that beast?

officially no. yes, it is heavy but no more heavy than my mountain bike setup. estimate = 15 (bike) + 15 (cyclone ) + 35 (batteries) + 25 (generator) = 90-100 lbs. Not that bad. :lol: Recall with this setup I can go 215 miles with a full charge and a full tank of gas at 20 mph and have about 250 mpg accounting for battery charging cost. i mean the damn thing is in the frame now so its not as awkward visually and handling wise as before. i am happy about that. :wink:

Aight guys, I am just about done with the bike. I think I coulda done a better job on the fairings and look but I just wanna ride at this point. It rode real smooth today though I might get a seat post suspension to save my balls (no suspension bike). Here is a walk around video; I only need to protect the bottom of the bike/components with a mud guard and attach the rear light when it comes at this point. Oh, also replace a battery module.

Specs
- 72V 3000W Cyclone on a cruiser frame
- 72V 16aH ~1kwH battery (chinese domestic cells)
- 800W 40cc 4-stroke generator w/ .66 gallon fuel tank
- Two chargers - 240W (home) and 420 (road)
- 20-22mph (headwind), 23-25mph (tailwind) little/no battery consumption on generator (420W)
- Top speed ~40mph
- 110-130 miles on generator on .66 gallons + 15-25 miles on full battery
- Two modes = <10 miles just ebike, >10 miles or random cruising generator setup
- Weight = 100lbs

https://youtu.be/3yX9-OsR1ds

Holy shit man! This is incredible. Also, have you thought about just getting a motorcycle?

I had a motorcycle in the past. I like ebike/motorized bicycles since I can just cruise on the shoulder and do my own thing at my own pace without paying attention to cars as much. This I made to just have some fun, see how it is, and cruise around. :)

thundercamel said:
Nice work with the hybrid! The pedals are locked with the motor? Where do you live that the police are such trouble?

No the pedals are not locked. And, the police dont really care and I carry the statures for motorized bikes in my tool bag. :lol: Thx, I really like the bike; small <10 mile runs I use electric and cruising for hours I go generator.

The only real bad thing about it is that I need that cruiser frame to fit the generator but it has no suspension and I find myself standing up in the saddle over medium/large bumps. I might get a cheap suspension seat post. Anyone have experience with those (~$20) ones that is just a spring or something.

Made a funny music video parody of my ebike hybrid. So, these batteries limit me to like 1500-1800W; if I had the full 3kW do you think I coulda beat that 125cc Honda Grom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qLe8wqeDKQ

GIGATT said:
I like this guy cool build ...

thx mate. i since retired that build and pulled the motor off onto a pure electric 60V 3.4kWh fat tire ebike. check it out!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107762

A for effort with the generator. I had scooter packs with the cyclone for a while at 72 Volts too.
How are your scooter packs hanging in there?
Also, have you had issues with the cyclone breaking anything?

GIGATT said:
A for effort with the generator. I had scooter packs with the cyclone for a while at 72 Volts too.
How are your scooter packs hanging in there?
Also, have you had issues with the cyclone breaking anything?

Nope, I found the Cyclone to be very reliable though I only go mid 20s cruising and mid 30s top. So, I am not constantly blasting max amps. The motor does get hot after use. Mine makes a rattling sound around the nylon planetary gears but this should not have been a problem if I had replaced the grease with a high quality one in the beginning or replaced the nylon gear with a metal one (available from Cyclone tw). It rattles but still runs well.

I don't have the scooter packs anymore. One of them did pop on me and caught on fire. I was able to isolate it. Problem with those packs is that I was pulling max amps from them and had a ton of miles. The LG Chem batteries I have now are way over engineered for my use 180A max and i am doing like 30A max. That being said, I did short one of them out and it smoked and leaked a little. But it seems to be doing okay after I sealed the leak... This is no problem of the battery but my own idiocy and noobish. Well, if it was a shittier battery it mighta just exploded and caught on fire.

Thanks for the response. I have been stalking your youtube videos. How do you keep the speed under 20 - 30mph? Discipline? gearing or other? Also feel free to share who sells those kind of batteries. Most of my my scooter packs are ok.. but I'm ready for better.

GIGATT said:
Thanks for the response. I have been stalking your youtube videos. How do you keep the speed under 20 - 30mph? Discipline? gearing or other? Also feel free to share who sells those kind of batteries. Most of my my scooter packs are ok.. but I'm ready for better.

well, the new bike is a fat tire so i am losing tons of efficiency and also i got studded tires. i dont mind though as I am really loving the ride quality of the fat tires. I am usually around 20-25 mph depending on wind and topography. If I am in a rush, I will do upper 20s. Bike can do more but eh.

Batteries were from BatteryHookup but they are out of them and cant find replacements anywhere in USA. I want to get like 6 more to do a 21s build and charge it with a 20s charger and then lower my low voltage threshold on my controller. The raw cells themselves (and how it is measured) came out to be $100 per kwH for new cells. No wonder they got sold out. TBH, I think LiFePo technology is getting good now. You get a big battery and stay withing 40-70% zone and that is like 2000-3000 cycles before degradation and that chemistry is relatively extremely safe (ie leave it to charge no problem). But, the energy density will require a big frame bike or modify frame. Look at that site and just sign up for their new battery email list.

ok thanks battery hookup is where i got my scooter packs from back in 2017... I think you said that you were charging slowly right? I charge at 40V up to 15 amps sometimes. on $60.00 worth of charger.

Back