The Frey HT1000 - And yes, HT stands for Hardtail! *updated*

Ok, been busy but I've had some time to run it around the block a once or twice. It's great. The medium frame fits me well at 5' 10.5". It's well put together. Everything came out of the box tight and proper with the exception of a few tweaks to get the brake levers on the same plane, and a slight dragging of the front disk rotor.

I love the headlight integration, the brake light works great in the daytime except when the headlight/taillight is turned on there is little distinction between the red marker light and the slightly brighter brake light. The headlight works well but I'll probably be looking for a brighter light with a better focus pattern.

But. . . there is always a but.

Normal? :?:

[youtube]AuRl2bFYgQU[/youtube]

yea. . . I know. Turn your bleepin' phone!

Richard N said:

My HT1000 makes a scary clacky noise when being pushed backwards too. I can't say if it's exactly the same but it sounds like it is. I've been assuming it's normal.

Can confirm it's normal too glad you got your bike Richard am looking at m600 2.0 or am1000 for the wife right now anybody any thoughts if m600 geting red lyrik with red over black paint

The hardtail is the one I was after, suspension is nice but nothing beats a rigid frame for mounting bags and carrying stuff.

-Hi Richard
-Cam from Duncan
-did Fedex drop in Victoria -extra cost ?
-I am interested in the Med frame-30"inseam -sounds right
-did you get a bigger chain ring 46-48 ?
-any other info appreciated
-Cam@jamelot2@gmail.com
----Thanks Cam

stew said:
-Hi Richard
-Cam from Duncan
-did Fedex drop in Victoria -extra cost ?
-I am interested in the Med frame-30"inseam -sounds right
-did you get a bigger chain ring 46-48 ?
-any other info appreciated
-Cam@jamelot2@gmail.com
----Thanks Cam

Hello Cam

It will arrive in Richmond, from there FedEx will contact you to resolve the Customs charges. I did have the bike delivered to Victoria but it did not come through FedEx if was with a 3rd party and I did not pay extra.

I'm 30" as well and went with the medium frame and am happy with it.

I did not change the chainring, and so far, I have no plans to do so.

Just ordered my first E-bike ever.

Frey HT1000 Matte Black
Size: XL
Battery: 52V 17.5Ah
Fork: Rockshox Yari
Gear: Shimano XT M8000
Brakes: Magura MT5
Tires: MAXXIS 27.5 x 2.8 (You can get Schwalbe Super Motor-X from FREY now, they have them in stock it appears)
Front/Rear Fender
Rear Rack
Front/Rear integrated lights
Extra derailleur hangers: 5

By shipping by sea i was able to cut the shipping cost down drastically! If you live near by a port, you can ask them to check shipping by sea possibility for you. Will post updates.

h2k said:
Just ordered my first E-bike ever.

Frey HT1000 Matte Black
Size: XL
Battery: 52V 17.5Ah
Fork: Rockshox Yari
Gear: Shimano XT M8000
Brakes: Magura MT5
Tires: MAXXIS 27.5 x 2.8 (You can get Schwalbe Super Motor-X from FREY now, they have them in stock it appears)
Front/Rear Fender
Rear Rack
Front/Rear integrated lights
Extra derailleur hangers: 5

By shipping by sea i was able to cut the shipping cost down drastically! If you live near by a port, you can ask them to check shipping by sea possibility for you. Will post updates.
You are going to love it, I'm very happy with mine!

I wish that Frey would have had the Super Moto-X when I ordered, those are the tires I wanted.

I have my HT1000 due in the UK soon, coming by train overland from China to the UK (15 days approx). Similar specs but didn't upgrade the brakes. The pic they sent appears to be 42T front not 40t as in the ad. No matter, I was thinking of upgrading to 46t anyway would match my current (and suitably geared) BBS02 specc'd bicycle. I will be programming mine to closely match my current cadence only setup (health issues). Think I will have to change the whole torque page settings to very low.

Any other thoughts on your first month with this model appreciated. e.g. where to download the software (I have a cable already)

robwalley1963 said:
I have my HT1000 due in the UK soon, coming by train overland from China to the UK (15 days approx). Similar specs but didn't upgrade the brakes. The pic they sent appears to be 42T front not 40t as in the ad. No matter, I was thinking of upgrading to 46t anyway would match my current (and suitably geared) BBS02 specc'd bicycle. I will be programming mine to closely match my current cadence only setup (health issues). Think I will have to change the whole torque page settings to very low.

Any other thoughts on your first month with this model appreciated. e.g. where to download the software (I have a cable already)

I got my software here, I don't know if there is a newer version though.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/11/23/i-void-warranties-hacking-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/

I am thinkung back and forth about buying this bike as I really like the overall package.
Currently I am running the BBSHD and I am on my 4th freewheel within 5k KM. How is the freewheel of the Ultra in comparison and how cheap/easy is it to replace?
What is bugging me the most on the HD is the resistance when riding manually (without motor support). How is the ultra in comparison and how is it compared to other brands like Bosch, Brose and Yamaha?

Thanks JP

Btw.: Anybody in or around Zürich (Switzerland) to share opinions and maybe have a test ride?

Manual riding resistance on the Ultra is basically nil, I ride my biktrix Ultra without power occasionally on the weekend.

The motor has both a one-way clutch and freewheel internally, I doubt the freewheel will ever pose much issue. It's a bit more involved to get to these parts though...

Hello, my name is Marcel and I just ordered my second e-bike.
My first E-bike is an old Giant I converted myself using a BBS02 here at home in Thailand.

Due to my work I will be living most of the next 6 months in Suzhou, China.
So I ordered a Frey with Grace, she is good and especially communicating with her in WeChat is great, very fast reply!
I ordered a 29er, Grace told me mine will be the first production 29er, they did one as a show model before.

The specs are:
Frey HT1000 Matte Orange
Size: XL (I am 1.92m tall)
Battery: 48V 21Ah
Fork: Rockshox Recon 150mm
Gear: Shimano M6000
Brakes: Tektro HD E725
Tires: Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2"
Front/Rear Fender
Rear Rack

Delivery is 2 months, being the first 29er parts take longer delivery.

It should look like this but with 29" wheels and the Frey logo on the battery box in orange:
mmexport1559977683524.png

Daaamn, that orange looks great!! Excellent colour.

Will be a fun bike in 29", though I'd personally go for carbon fork when it comes to 29" tire (especially plus tire). Bike will be lighter and essentially the same small bump handling.

Deafcat said:
Daaamn, that orange looks great!! Excellent colour.

Will be a fun bike in 29", though I'd personally go for carbon fork when it comes to 29" tire (especially plus tire). Bike will be lighter and essentially the same small bump handling.

Awwww, man! I'm gettin' screwed! I couldn't get the tires I wanted, now they have them. Then I get a rear rack that I can't use without modifying, now they have an improved rack. What next, maybe they'll offer Jones H-Bars?

Yeah, the orange does look good.

Thanks, yes I liked the orange a lot too, being the Dutch national color :D
I asked Grace for a "solid" front fork, she told me they do not have any.

When working in Suzhou I am hoping to do a small factory tour at Bafang, they are in the same Jinji lake area where I will live.

Also we have a factory in Lishui which is not too far from the Frey factory, Grace already said I was welcome to tour the factory.
Once I do I will make sure I will post pictures and/or a video here.

Found a Facebook picture of the Frey HT1000 29er prototype:
Frey-HT-29er.jpg

-Hi Richard-I would love to have a look at your bike
-I will buy you lunch
-I will be in Vic tomorrow but any day will do-at your convenience
-thanks Cam from Duncan

Update 3000km in still love the bike very capable wear on cassete and chain are increased obviously so now having to replace both but other than that it's been break pads and doing a bolt check here and there

Attachments

• 20190421_112319.jpg
    20190421_112319.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 3,549
Back