Revolutionary Air Conditioner!

I believe this could be run directly off of a solar panel. When the sun is out, the device is running.

Its initially a swamp cooler, evaporating water through an airflow to cool it. The downside is that the output air of a swamp cooler becomes humid. The fancy trick of this design (other than being larger and more efficiently laid-out than a conventional swamp-cooler) is that he de-humidifies the output with saltwater...dirt cheap.

If your A/C bill goes up an extra $100/month for the four hot months, it would break even in one year.

I was wondering if he was going to address the energy input of the gas heater.

The idea looks sound, whether it scales, or is commercially viable, is another matter. I wonder if we will see these models available for sale in a year or two. I suspect if it required regular maintenance, it won't be that popular.

But given the focus on Climate Change? Maybe it will take off.

Swamp cooler work great in dry climates, but if it's a humide climate, swamp coolers are not very effective if at all.

Many years ago I built a solar powered swamp cooler for a trailer I had out in the woods. Power consumption was around 15w and it could get the air to over 30 degrees F lower than the outside air. Really great on those over 100F days. Low ambient humidity is for sure a requirement and this wouldn't work well at all anyplace east of the Mississippi.

You can also make multi-stage swamp coolers. With 3 stages, you can get the air almost down to the dewpoint. With an efficient air-to-air heat exchanger, you could vent the humid air to outside and keep the inside air isolated and recirculate it.

Good info, Richard. As far as the heating stage, if you only use the unit when the sun is out, then it shouldn't be too hard to add a solar heater section.

If you have time on your hands and are a capable scrounger, then the purchased parts can be kept very affordable. I think most structures have a lot of low-hanging fruit when it comes to boosting efficiency and reducing interior heat (before the cooler is even turned on).

I experienced significant savings from installing an attic fan, which only used the watts of a light bulb, and cooled the attic...

I also hung shade cloth from the edge of an eave, to shade the sunniest outer wall, and especially the glass in the windows. Before that, I could feel significant heat coming from the glass.

Later, certain windows were covered by a large single pane of glass as a second layer (double panes are common now), but also...it wasn't just the second pane that reduced heat passing from the outer pane to the inside of the old house.

The stock windows have to be loose enough to open and shut, so...there is always leakage. The large single pane was well sealed over all of the stock window.

Does anyone know if there are written step by step instructions for this video?

Watching it to get an idea is one thing, using it as an assembly guide is another. I guess I could always transcribe the instructions.

Back