Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Allex said:
Please try to not misinform ppl here if you are not sure about the facts.
The motor(P/N 11100-YQ2A-0200 u can find this label when lifting up the skid plate) has a KTY84 temp sensor installed so the protection is present.

There is so much fake news regarding these bikes i actually stop following it.

Here is the X motor part number
Here is 2 X controllers V2.11 is 8 months old and V2.15 is 5 months old.
FYI The lateset software is V2.19
Pictures do more justice than words.

Attachments

• X controller 2.15.jpg
    X controller 2.15.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,992
  • X motor.jpg
    X motor.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,992
  • X controll 2.11.jpg
    X controll 2.11.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,992
3DTOPO said:
Luna's Ludicrous R special edition is now available for order:

https://lunacycle.com/luna-ludicrous-r/

They claim double the stock amps. It's over $5k though and they claim they are only going to sell 20 of them ever. I imagine once they sell them, they will offer the Luna Ludicrous R II. :lol:

Page not found
Uh oh, looks like the page you are looking for has moved or no longer exists.

Merlin said:
3DTOPO said:

They claim double the stock amps. It's over $5k though and they claim they are only going to sell 20 of them ever. I imagine once they sell them, they will offer the Luna Ludicrous R II. :lol:

Page not found

Guess they sold out - was working when I posted it. Bet they are regretting only making 20 ever.

This bike is so damn good now after I upgraded my brakes. It just stops so much easier and faster, you have way more control over the bike with better brakes which allows you to do many more things. The brake levers are way more comfortable also and easier to cover with one finger all the time while you ride.
Yes the stock Sur-Ron brakes will work, but they just don't stop the bike easily enough and require way too much squeezing. I had to dedicate two fingers to stop the bike many times. It is another one of those things you don't realize how much the stock parts suck until you upgrade them.

ZEg6pgz.jpg

lN5r7EY.jpg

YURDjQb.jpg

3DTOPO said:
Merlin said:
3DTOPO said:

Page not found

Guess they sold out - was working when I posted it. Bet they are regretting only making 20 ever.
So the sur-ron dealer usa that talks a lot about hot roding the sur-ron brings out a special version......perhaps i,am a crazy but a sur-ron with double the power you start change the brakes for real stuf just like the suspension front+rear shock absorbers..tyres(cst are cheap and dangerous@hi speeds).

put real brakes,shocks,tyres on the bike and make the price $2000 more expensive so the people riding these things are save :bigthumb:

Lifepo4ever2 said:
such a crappy china bike that why you selling it :lol: i give you 500$ because the batterie most be puffed :lol:
can you give us an alternative thats way better? i like to buy bikes like these for the same price that have the same frame/motor/batterie+ road legal in EU :p please send me the link to the shops that have this for us.

Merlin said:
3DTOPO said:

Page not found
Link worked for me.

Works for me too. Its priced at $5150. Is that a Van Halen reference to a reference about being a crazy lunatic? Great album, I'll have to give that a listen.

I was heavily considering getting an X . Saw the Ludi R version and broke down and got it instead. I blame getting 1 million views on my first Sur Ron vid for this decision :lol:

I know this forum doesn't moan and groan too much over the prices, especially since most of us have been here since 10k to $12k bikes were (and still are) being sold. But I've got mountain bikes that cost more than this thing. I added up my time and cost to modify my current Sur Ron and it would have been more expensive than buying the R. Mods done, extra wheelset, nicer battery, belt drive secondary with extra wheelset... Can't beat it!

Offroader said:
This bike is so damn good now after I upgraded my brakes. It just stops so much easier and faster, you have way more control over the bike with better brakes which allows you to do many more things. The brake levers are way more comfortable also and easier to cover with one finger all the time while you ride.
Yes the stock Sur-Ron brakes will work, but they just don't stop the bike easily enough and require way too much squeezing. I had to dedicate two fingers to stop the bike many times. It is another one of those things you don't realize how much the stock parts suck until you upgrade them.

What brakes did you choose?

I just used Shimano Saint brake pads with the stock calipers and got a huge improvement in braking. Anything is better than the stock pads.

johnrobholmes said:
Offroader said:
This bike is so damn good now after I upgraded my brakes.

What brakes did you choose?

Same brakes I'm running: Shimano Saint M820s. Looks like we both have the Ice Tech rotors up front too.

Yes I would install the Shimano saint brakes and get a fox 40 float 26" fork, the ludicrous bike will really earn its name. Unfortunately they discontinued the fox 40 float 26".

Unrelated but I had to fix a flat on this bike and it was extremely easy to get the tire off. I remember someone else comment on how easy it is to fix a flat. Compared to those 3" tires this tire comes off extremely easy. Even getting the tire back on and usually that last bit of tire to get over the rim can be difficult. I was able to just push it over the rim with my hand, didn't even need the tire irons.

The stock tires are really good on this bike, I've never slipped out yet with them. With them so easy to get on and off, they really are not a bad tire at all. If they went with a bigger tire, many people would have a lot of difficulty changing the tire and may even need to bring it someplace.

I just wish the rear tire lasted a bit longer and didn't wear out as quickly. However, because they wear out quickly that may be a good thing because it will offer more grip. A real motorcycle 2.75 x 19" tire may have too hard of a compound.

I have developed a website about my own experience with the Sur Ron Light Bee. I've owned mine for a little over a year.
https://sur-ron.markkitaoka.com/

Attachments

• website.JPG
    website.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 2,328
Missing part

I'm missing the nut that holds the front wheel, do you think that this is something that I can get from my local bike shop or is it Sur Ron original that is required? Tried to upload picture but I'm lacking the skill.

kitaoka said:
I have developed a website about my own experience with the Sur Ron Light Bee. I've owned mine for a little over a year.
https://sur-ron.markkitaoka.com/

Nicely done.

Aebrennan said:
Allex said:
Please try to not misinform ppl here if you are not sure about the facts.
The motor(P/N 11100-YQ2A-0200 u can find this label when lifting up the skid plate) has a KTY84 temp sensor installed so the protection is present.

There is so much fake news regarding these bikes i actually stop following it.

Here is the X motor part number
Here is 2 X controllers V2.11 is 8 months old and V2.15 is 5 months old.
FYI The lateset software is V2.19
Pictures do more justice than words.

Hello,

Glad to see so many people interested in the Sur Ron :)
It’s an amazing little bike.

Regarding the X Controller:

I ordered a Sur-Ron sine wave X controller from Luna (PN: 21100-YQ2A-0301 (another version??), no SW version is shown/scribbled down) and installed it on a german street legal Sur-Ron (the call it the Firefly here) which normally comes with the “stock” controller (PN on that was 21100-YQ2B-0000, SW V1.3.13_2018.11.30).
My motor has PN: 11100-YQ2A-0200.
The positive change in performance is immediately noticeable.

I only have one issue:
My instrument randomly shows 0% battery power and 0% voltage. It just flashes/jitters on once in a while, along with the low battery indicator orange warning light, and then goes back to normal. I have the EU above-the-headlight mounted Display (the big one in the center with all the fancy lights).
Once in a while I also get the “Er-002” code on my LCD screen, along with the other orange exclamation mark warning indicator.

The bike itself operates normally though (albeit higher battery drain, but I’m sure that’s normal due to the higher power), no power cutoff, no power limiting, nothing.
The issue seems to be cosmetic if anything.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

What does that error code mean (couldn’t find any definition to it, also not in the service manual online listing the failure codes)?

On another note, I thought this might be of interest:
On German models removing the slow mode or “unlocking” the bike is done by cutting the green wire.
I still have mine intact, but having installed that X controller, i can now reach 80km/h in sport mode (insane), and on economy it tops out at 50km/h.

Also, I have a connector on the main bike harness for the triangular one coming out of the X controller. I connected them (the Luna Cycle installation video bike does not have this connector), but I have no clue what it’s for. Does anyone know what it is?

Appreciate any help and advice,
Thanks in advance

Allex said:
Hey Alexis, here is the list of codes:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z3zYZlmToRGorZ8lojJM1fB6chmriqd2/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much Alex!

So it’s a communication issue (relief!)!

Do you think it might be because in the US they don’t have that spedometer/instrument?

This is all pretty interesting and intriguing. Also I saw Stag Motors UK and Sur Ron UK are selling L1e versions with X controller, I’ve emailed them about this but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

I noticed the amount of different PN’s for Motor & controller combinations... maybe it’s that?

My motor has PN 11100-YQ2A-0200.

The controller I purchased has PN 21100-YQ2A-0301.
Sadly I don’t know the SW version on it, there is no sticker or handwritten note as is sometimes the case.

Up to now I had only seen combinations of X Controllers with PN’s 21100-YQ2A-0202 (or 21100-YQ2B-0101) with 11100-YQ2A-0200 motors.

I see that there are also motors with PN 11100-YQ2A-0201?
Are there now maybe motors with PN 1100-YQ2A-0300/0301?

AlexisSurRon said:
I only have one issue:
My instrument randomly shows 0% battery power and 0% voltage. It just flashes/jitters on once in a while, along with the low battery indicator orange warning light, and then goes back to normal. I have the EU above-the-headlight mounted Display (the big one in the center with all the fancy lights).
Once in a while I also get the “Er-002” code on my LCD screen, along with the other orange exclamation mark warning indicator.

The bike itself operates normally though (albeit higher battery drain, but I’m sure that’s normal due to the higher power), no power cutoff, no power limiting, nothing.
The issue seems to be cosmetic if anything.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

I haven't heard of that one before, but the intermittent nature makes it sound like a loose connections somewhere. Try tracing the cable from the display unit until you reach a connector and unplug it and inspect the pins. One pin may be pushed back or something. Sometimes just unplugging and re plugging can fix things.

Back