MTB with hardtail question

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
Could you recommend a MTB 26" that has beefier than normal dropouts and on a hardtail? I need a bike without rear shock. Just the standard triangle frame for my EM3EV triangle bag where i use to but my battery pack and other things in etc.
Something a bit beefier than stock MTB dropouts.
Thanks

Anything steel/chromoly steel (common variant stylings include chrome-moly, cro-moly, CrMo, CRMO, CR-MOLY, and similar).

You may find it easier to just find the bike you like and add appropriate torque arms rather than relying on a "beefy" dropout. Unless you are going to use a relatively low powered motor (500W and below) you probably want to add a torque arm or two anyway.

As markz said, look for a steel bike from a good, name brand maker to get a stronger rear dropout. An example at the low price end would be a Trek 820. And ignore flat tire. He's either speaking from ignorance, over-generalizing or both. Rear suspension can be a good thing if you have crappy roads. But a hardtail is fine if your roads are decent.

wturber said:
But a hardtail is fine if your roads are decent.

Maybe if you're so far up your own purchase you have to justify it. Hardtails are unacceptable for anyone who can afford better and has an open mind. Even on "smooth" roads a rear suspension is nice.

flat tire said:
wturber said:
But a hardtail is fine if your roads are decent.

Maybe if you're so far up your own purchase you have to justify it. Hardtails are unacceptable for anyone who can afford better and has an open mind. Even on "smooth" roads a rear suspension is nice.

Buy and use what you like. Just please stop giving people incorrect information. There a loads of people happily riding hardtails at speeds well over 10 mph (I typically do 25 and have done so for about 8,500 miles now). So to simply say that they "suck hard" when going faster than 10 mph without any qualification is just incorrect. You seem rather myopic on this point. There are more things that matter regarding this than you seem willing to consider. But others consider them pretty important.

wturber said:
blah blah blah

Rear suspension is so obviously better on a bike. The problem is it might be more complicated or expensive. Those are separate issues and if you disagree you're not using your brain. Come on wturber, I know it's in there somewhere!

ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Could you recommend a MTB 26" that has beefier than normal dropouts and on a hardtail? I need a bike without rear shock. Just the standard triangle frame for my EM3EV triangle bag where i use to but my battery pack and other things in etc.
Thanks

Can you provide more information on how you envision the final bike to be equipped? Steel is best, but it's rare to have a steel frame for 26" wheels that are built for disc brakes, so it may require some welding.

If you want discs, the you may want to consider an aluminum frame with dropouts that allow for easy torque arm mounting. (I'm also assuming that you're going to use a hub motor).

E-HP said:
ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Thanks

Can you provide more information on how you envision the final bike to be equipped? Steel is best, but it's rare to have a steel frame for 26" wheels that are built for disc brakes, so it may require some welding.

If you want discs, the you may want to consider an aluminum frame with dropouts that allow for easy torque arm mounting. (I'm also assuming that you're going to use a hub motor).

Hi there
Yes ill be try to fit a qs205 in a 26 MTB
I know its not common to do this but im gonna try.
My bike has a standard aluminum frame and i was running a Mac motor then moved up to the MXUS 3000. Surprisingly the bike ran well with the MXUS but was a tight fit. The QS205 is bit wider so looking for wider and/or stronger dropouts eventhough my dropouts are still fine from the MXUS on the aluminum frame

flat tire said:
You don't want a hardtail ebike. They suck hard unless you ride 10 mph.

Hi there
I rode my hardtail with a Mac 8T and MXUS 3000 3T just fine since i live and ride on mainly flat city streets. I was going way over 10 mph. Sometimes up to 50mph with the MXUS . I dont go off roading or anything
Id love a rear suspension but I need that open triangle frame space for my packs. I also have stuff mounted on a read rack so battery pack location is very important

im running a hardtail @ 35+ mph with no problems.

full suspension is not for every one. your 26" hard tail project will be fine.

we all use our brains here.

Lenk42602 said:
im running a hardtail @ 35+ mph with no problems.

full suspension is not for every one. your 26" hard tail project will be fine.

we all use our brains here.

Yes i agree.
But im concerned about the width of my 26er.
Hopefully i can stretch it to fit qs205 axle.
I have torque arms but i wont be able to make custom torque arms with limited resources where im located

ebike11 said:
Yes i agree.
I have torque arms but i wont be able to make custom torque arms with limited resources where im located

Stretching to fit is one more reason to look at a steel bike. The steel framed bike is more tolerant of a little bending than is an aluminum frame. And steel dropouts will be stronger than aluminum ones.

wturber said:
ebike11 said:
Yes i agree.

Stretching to fit is one more reason to look at a steel bike. The steel framed bike is more tolerant of a little bending than is an aluminum frame. And steel dropouts will be stronger than aluminum ones.

Yes I see.
I have to check my aluminum bike first and see how much width i need.
Worst cast scenario ill have to buy used local or maybe a steel frame on aliexpress? I seen a bunch on there

https://www.randombikeparts.com/products/raw-high-tensile-steel-19-mtb-bike-hardtail-frame-26-rim-brake-unpainted-new?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIie71tO6r4wIVhshkCh1pLA30EAQYASABEgLt3_D_BwE

If you're going to use regen for rear braking, and rim brakes for emergency stops, this seems like a reasonably priced option, provided that the free shipping deal works internationally. You'd need to add P clamps for your rack.

E-HP said:
https://www.randombikeparts.com/products/raw-high-tensile-steel-19-mtb-bike-hardtail-frame-26-rim-brake-unpainted-new?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIie71tO6r4wIVhshkCh1pLA30EAQYASABEgLt3_D_BwE

If you're going to use regen for rear braking, and rim brakes for emergency stops, this seems like a reasonably priced option, provided that the free shipping deal works internationally. You'd need to add P clamps for your rack.

Thanks for the link!
But im gonna try and fit disc brakes if possible

flat tire said:

I ride a hard tail, often on not so smooth roads. Not a big problem, unless you have a back pain or other type of injuries. Seat post suspension like those from Zoom, Suntour or Thudbuster would also help tremendously.

armandd said:
flat tire said:

I ride a hard tail, often on not so smooth roads. Not a big problem, unless you have a back pain or other type of injuries. Seat post suspension like those from Zoom, Suntour or Thudbuster would also help tremendously.

Yes i also use a suspension seat. Its helps

E-HP said:

Not to throw a monkey wrench at this frame, but make sure you know where to locate an Italian-threaded bottom bracket before you purchase.

Orange County, CA's streets are maintained well and I ride fully rigid steel bikes up to 35 mph without a problem. In addition, many individuals (including myself) ride hardtails off road.

Ill look for a steel frame.
Im assuming all rear dropouts have the same inner width on standard factory 26inch MTBs??
If so then maybe i can cold stretch the steel a bit. Not sure if thats the right expression

ebike11 said:
Ill look for a steel frame.
Im assuming all rear dropouts have the same inner width on standard factory 26inch MTBs??
If so then maybe i can cold stretch the steel a bit. Not sure if thats the right expression

[youtube]YdibmxBuMy0[/youtube]

What do you think of this steel frame to experiment on? really cheap but if you swapped brand componants onto it then it might be ok

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849381771.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.44.1de8105fP6o8od&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_1_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=851995cc-e568-40c5-a413-879a78527a75-6&algo_pvid=851995cc-e568-40c5-a413-879a78527a75

ebike11 said:
What do you think of this steel frame to experiment on? really cheap but if you swapped brand componants onto it then it might be ok

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849381771.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.44.1de8105fP6o8od&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_1_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=851995cc-e568-40c5-a413-879a78527a75-6&algo_pvid=851995cc-e568-40c5-a413-879a78527a75

Seems like some odd tube shapes for a steel bicycle frame. Steel frames usually use straight tubing, so I'm suspicious. OTOH, I may not be up on current steel bike frame technology.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to go with a used bike from a known manufacturer. But heck, if you go in understanding that your are experimenting, then it has more to do with your sense of adventure than anything else.

Back