Big bucks for a brake rotor?

ebike11

1 MW
Is it worth paying 60 to 80 dollars for a 203mm Shimano? Or would the 15 to 20 dollar ones be as good? Im not trying to compromise safety to save money but im wondering if there is a huge performance advantage to justify the price or are you just paying for the name?
Looking to get some 203mm rotors.
Thanks

what's the $80 shimano? icetech freeza? those things have heatsinks for better heat dissipation

but if you're comparing plain shimano rotors like RT66 they're drilled out too much to save weight. i prefer these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32540715682.html

PsNVopc.png

Overclocker said:
what's the $80 shimano? icetech freeza? those things have heatsinks for better heat dissipation

but if you're comparing plain shimano rotors like RT66 they're drilled out too much to save weight. i prefer these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32540715682.html

PsNVopc.png

Thanks for the link. Ill look into them
I think they are RT86 more expensive where im from then maybe what your prices are

ebike11 said:
Is it worth paying 60 to 80 dollars for a 203mm Shimano? Or would the 15 to 20 dollar ones be as good? Im not trying to compromise safety to save money but im wondering if there is a huge performance advantage to justify the price or are you just paying for the name?
Thanks

What are you doing mate, 203s on aliexpess cost $8 a pop. They probably come from the same factory! I use them on my 60mph ebike and they are mint.

Tommm said:
ebike11 said:
Thanks

What are you doing mate, 203s on aliexpess cost $8 a pop. They probably come from the same factory! I use them on my 60mph ebike and they are mint.

Sounds good...i seen some on there. Ill be passing on the shimanos for sure

Are you using regen too? I put on cheap floating discs, 203 in front and 180 rear. I tested on a 17%-19% hill by my house, 3/4 mile descent, then less steep after that, only using front brakes and regen. Rotor was warm but not hot. I ride on a lot of hills, but don’t think I’ll really have situations of staying on the brakes without letting up for long enough for any heating issues, especially if I use the rear brake too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E-HP said:
Are you using regen too? I put on cheap floating discs, 203 in front and 180 rear. I tested on a 17%-19% hill by my house, 3/4 mile descent, then less steep after that, only using front brakes and regen. Rotor was warm but not hot. I ride on a lot of hills, but don’t think I’ll really have situations of staying on the brakes without letting up for long enough for any heating issues, especially if I use the rear brake too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No regen just standard brakes

ebike11 said:
Sounds good...i seen some on there. Ill be passing on the shimanos for sure

There are good pads there too, I get mine from bikein. $1.5 a pair.

Hopefully you're talking about a pair of discs. I use magura but let's think about this for a sec:

1) how much did your whole ebike build cost
2) how important are brakes

I always put name brand parts on my bikes. Who gives a shit about saving $50 you're spending thousands every year on e-parts?

flat tire said:
Who gives a shit about saving $50 you're spending thousands every year on e-parts?

You spend thousands every year by repeatedly not giving a shit about 50.

Some calipers require thicker rotors (Magura, Hope, etc... then you have no choice because buying a thinner rotor night damage the caliper pistons seals when the pads are getting low.

When 1.8mm standard is OK you can buy any without compromising braking performance. It will only affect how long they last and how easy they can be bent. In fact some cheap, softer steel rotors are braking better with some bi-metal or ceramic pads. Then you might notice that, instead of wearing pads, you are wearing the rotor. :roll:

Tommm said:
You spend thousands every year by repeatedly not giving a shit about 50.

Yes. I have way better things to do than give a shit about saving a a few hundred ebike bucks or few thousand life bucks a year. It's a drop in the bucket. Frugality ends with you either dead or living in the forest so don't chase it too far.

amberwolf said:
Good to know you're rich.
Many of us aren't.

Even some quite wealthy people are surprisingly frugal and consider frugality to be a virtue as well as a good first step towards building wealth. Munger and Buffet are the first two that come to mind.

wturber said:
amberwolf said:
Good to know you're rich.
Many of us aren't.

Even some quite wealthy people are surprisingly frugal and consider frugality to be a virtue as well as a good first step towards building wealth. Munger and Buffet are the first two that come to mind.

Yeah, $80 bike rotors sounds like theft to me, and no matter how rich I am or ever get, I'll not be played for a sucker.

Well, some expansive rotors have a real advantage. Some Shimano and Magura do last very long. I like the Hope vented rotor for its light weight and the special sound it makes.

If they start making ceramic rotors for bikes, sure they will be expansive, but knowing the performance improvement they will be worth the expanse for many riders.

MadRhino said:
Well, some expansive rotors have a real advantage. Some Shimano and Magura do last very long. I like the Hope vented rotor for its light weight and the special sound it makes.

If they start making ceramic rotors for bikes, sure they will be expansive, but knowing the performance improvement they will be worth the expanse for many riders.

Hmmm i didnt know rotors had a unique sound. Can you describe the Hope sound?

ebike11 said:
Hmmm i didnt know rotors had a unique sound. Can you describe the Hope sound?
Hard to describe a sound.

Some rotors drilling pattern, combined with some (mostly natural) pads, are making a unique sound of their own. Hope vented rotors are very characteristic: Imagine rolling a nylon gear on a stone kitchen counter.

Few riders notice, because few riders are using natural pads, known to have a short life.

FWIW, I notice that Grin has some Magura 203mm rotors on clearance for $12 - half off the usual $24.00 price. I'm pretty sure the shipping for the OP makes this deal not worth it though.

https://www.ebikes.ca/magura-6-bolt-rotor-203.html

wturber said:
FWIW, I notice that Grin has some Magura 203mm rotors on clearance for $12 - half off the usual $24.00 price. I'm pretty sure the shipping for the OP makes this deal not worth it though.

https://www.ebikes.ca/magura-6-bolt-rotor-203.html
That is very cheap for a genuine Magura rotor. Not the one I use though. The best Magura rotor is the Venti, amazingly long lasting:

Magura-Venti-rotor-0-orig.jpg

wturber said:
Even some quite wealthy people are surprisingly frugal

Yes, yes, I have seen so much of this and it is literal insanity. Triple digit millionaires driving civics and worrying about running air conditioning upstairs. If you're rich spend your time worrying about big money not chasing pennies.

Whoever you leave your estate to will make a mockery of it anyway. Better to spend.

Estate? :roll: You must be one of those rich people that doesn't even comprehend that most people out there don't even have enough money to cover their basic needs, much less have any to spend on anything else.

Yeah, in my "estate" there won't be anything except whatever ebike I have as primary transportation, and whatever dogs I still have. There sure as heck wouldn't be any money sitting around unspent...even being as frugal as I can.

flat tire said:
wturber said:
Even some quite wealthy people are surprisingly frugal

Yes, yes, I have seen so much of this and it is literal insanity. Triple digit millionaires driving civics and worrying about running air conditioning upstairs. If you're rich spend your time worrying about big money not chasing pennies.

No. I'm pretty sure that they don't spend much time at all "worrying" about those things. They simply aren't generally careless about their spending even though they could literally waste millions per day and it would have no practical effect on what they have left to spend.

flat tire said:
Whoever you leave your estate to will make a mockery of it anyway. Better to spend.

You gotta acquire the estate first. The average U.S. citizen carries credit card debt of around $16,000. Poor spending habits surely cost the average person thousands of dollars per year. Money that most cannot easily replace by simply working more hours. This is partly why median retirement savings in the U.S. is around $107,000 and median net worth near retirement is around $185,000. Habitually being moderately frugal and wise in how you spend your money. Just saving $2000 a year for forty years (20 years old to 40 years old) could net you about a million dollars.

But it's your money. Spend it as you wish. But I think the fella who takes a few minutes to find out if an $80 rotor actually gives him $80 of value is usually being wise. Even he spends an hour searching and he commands $60 dollars an hour at work, he's still ahead since because he's spending after tax money. And with the internet and online shopping, he really only needs to spend a few minutes.

Frugality can also help you to retire early freeing up even more of your time. Instead of being a waste of time it can actually help you liberate your time.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Back