New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

casainho said:
It works for KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD:

I just released the very first working version for Bafang 850C LCD -- follow the guide on wiki to know how to wire to TSDZ2 motor and download and flash the firmware: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-the-Flexible-OpenSource-firmware

Note that black vertical lines are due to the mobile camera recording frequency.
2019-07-12-11-53-48-1.jpg

Congratulations. Thank you for all of your hard work on this!

Are you able to confirm if 850C = DPC-14?
Could you please share which online store you have purchased from?

Cheers

mctubster said:
Are you able to confirm if 850C = DPC-14?
Could you please share which online store you have purchased from?
I am pretty sure it is. Maybe I will put this info on the wiki.

I bought a few units, from AliExpress and also from PSWPower.

Retrorockit said:
Bartman said:
Anyone got a spare cover for where the wires come out of the motor. See photo. I’ve lost mine, took the motor apart months ago and now can’t find it. Uk preferably but elsewhere also ok.
I just make one out of thin sheet metal. I suppose it was helpful having the original for a pattern. The thinner material gained some extra room for chainline adjustment also. Drill the holes first including the 1/2 round at the edge, them cut it out with tin snips.

New Cove made from 9mm (6/16”) mild steel. Thanks for the pointer.

Usage of our OpenSource firmware on a closed proprietary software

So, an user warned me about this, that Marcoq is making his work as a closed proprietary while is uses our own firmware, licensed as GPL. GPL license is probably is the most well known license in the world and does not permit someone to close it and that is why I choose that license when I started the project.

Can someone with more knowledge on this subject give his opinion if Marcoq is acting correctly accordingly the GPL license??

Capture.png

casainho said:

So, an user warned me about this, that Marcoq is making his work as a closed proprietary while is uses our own firmware, licensed as GPL. GPL license is probably is the most well known license in the world and does not permit someone to close it and that is why I choose that license when I started the project.

Can someone with more knowledge on this subject give his opinion if Marcoq is acting correctly accordingly the GPL license??

Capture.png

If the derived source is available this is OK. Is it? Also the usage of the term proprietary seems wrong. It isn't, it is GPL3 open source.
Selling it is OK - as long as the derived source is provided and the GPL licensing terms are not removed.

From https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/is-it-legal-to-sell-gpl-software/

The GNU project itself "encourages people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can... You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It's up to you, and the marketplace."

Please note that "as much as you wish" only applies to the executable form of the software, not its source code. This is explained in subsections 6a and 6b of the GPL: if you want to sell a binary copy of a GPL software program, you must include either its complete source code or a written, formal offer valid at least three years to provide it to whoever possesses the binary. In more detail, you have to provide:

a copy of the complete sources for a price no more than your reasonable cost of physically delivering them, or
"access to copy [the complete sources] from a network server at no charge"

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had to offset the front derailleur by 15mm. I have been riding it and it seems to shift fine, and I typically use the bottom 3-4 cogs with the big ring.

Rick McK Seattle WA

wpenner said:
I have this same setup. You need to use the version linked below with VLCD5. It does not require flashing the LCD. Almost all the same features as this version, but not quite as much feedback on LCD. For example the LCD will not show you Voltage as a numerical value or how many watts are currently being used, but the bike will still ride much nicer higher RPM and custom power limit etc.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98281&start=225

Thank you for the helpful info. I hadn't seen the recent posts in that thread, good to know it's caught up to 0.19 now. I had been checking Github and the latest there is 0.16. Ok, so now I understand I can only use the VLCD5 with marcoq's fork which includes the Java configurator... excellent!

casainho said:
It works for KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD:

You have done some amazing work! I think I may switch to the Bafang 850C in the future but while starting out I like the simplicity of the VLCD5.

No answer using search. Is there a recommended lube interval for the TDSZ2 with nylon gear? I have over 2k miles on mine. Have never had cover off.

casainho said:

Capture.png

My opinion is Marqoq can't patent GPL licenced software.

mctubster said:
casainho said:

Capture.png

If the derived source is available this is OK. Is it? Also the usage of the term proprietary seems wrong. It isn't, it is GPL3 open source.
Selling it is OK - as long as the derived source is provided and the GPL licensing terms are not removed.
I think the sources are not available, at least I couldn't found on Marcoq github.

Seems the spirit is totally wrong with that Marcoq software as it is not supposed to be closed and proprietary, seems he wants to force business with companies and also does not share back to us his work that is based on ours work with that specific terms.

I will then contact Marcoq to clarify his position.

casainho said:
mctubster said:
casainho said:

Capture.png

I think the sources are not available, at least I couldn't found on Marcoq github.

Seems the spirit is totally wrong with that Marcoq software as it is not supposed to be closed and proprietary, seems he wants to force business with companies and also does not share back to us his work that is based on ours work with that specific terms.

I understand the modified motor code itself is open, whereas the interface is free but the java source is not public.
I'm not an expert on GNU license but I believe the core based on your work is still public and open source.

thineight said:
casainho said:
mctubster said:
casainho said:

Capture.png

I understand the modified motor code itself is open, whereas the interface is free but the java source is not public.
I'm not an expert on GNU license but I believe the core based on your work is still public and open source.

I downloaded TSDZ2_Controller_vM0.16.D_and_TSDZ2_Configurator_Beta_0.2.0 from github and it includes the GPL3 license and source for the motor code. I did not see a warning on the JAVA configurator so maybe this isn't the latest.

I think it is a grey area re the configurator being not under GPL. Certainly not in the spirit of your original project. Did you create the data structures that holds the configuration for the open source firmware? If the only purpose of the configurator is to modify the contents of those data structures potentially you could argue it is derived. I don't believe there is a clear cut answer.

mctubster said:
thineight said:
casainho said:
mctubster said:

I downloaded TSDZ2_Controller_vM0.16.D_and_TSDZ2_Configurator_Beta_0.2.0 from github and it includes the GPL3 license and source for the motor code. I did not see a warning on the JAVA configurator so maybe this isn't the latest.

I think it is a grey area re the configurator being not under GPL. Certainly not in the spirit of your original project. Did you create the data structures that holds the configuration for the open source firmware? If the only purpose of the configurator is to modify the contents of those data structures potentially you could argue it is derived. I don't believe there is a clear cut answer.
Many thanks. I ant to talk with Marcoq, will do it tomorrow hopefully.

Good luck with that casainho. Hope everything works out as it should.

It seems i want to add a bigger chainring to the TSDZ2. Would something like this work?

I don't want to buy the dual chainring setup 42T and 52T, as i already have the 42T one. So i would just replace the chain guard with the 52T, if i understood corectly... and i would end up with a 42T and 52T dual setup.

Hi. I did the modification to make standard chainrings work. I have a 53 -36.
1) I reduced the thickness on the inside of the spider and the outside of the 53 chainring so both chainrings could be moved a little more inward. I cut up an old crank spider to get the spacers between the chainrings correct (you can adjust this gap depending on the width of chain you are using (10-speed chain is narrow than a 6-speed chain).

2) I then had to space-out the spider (about 3mm) to get enough clearance between the inside chainring and the gear cover. Because the o-ring (between the spider and drive spindle) doesn't mate up I filled the gap with silicone.

3) I think you could reduce the thickness (from the inside of the small chainring and eliminate the 3 mm standoff.

4) I had to move the front derailleur outboard almost 15mm to get it to have the proper travel.

5) I don't like the chain angle, but it shifts fine (it may wear out the chain faster)

See my prior posts for photos.

Yes, i did follow your photos, great job. Seems like it's a lot of work, i thought it would be easier.

I have a 9 speed shimano 11-34 cassette. The chain line is very good, except for the last 3 cogs. Especially on the last cog, the 11T one, the chain is rubbing on the cog next to it. Not by much, but i see some marks on the chain. So fitting a 52T chaingring next to it, would mean i would probably get a good chain line for the bigger chaingring and smaller cogs, if i don't move the 42T chainring and just add the 52T one.

1. Should i get some king of adapter for the spider to make things work simpler?
2. Do i need some kind of bolts, nuts and spacers to attach everything? Or do the standard ones work after removing the chain guard? Maybe adding something like this would work?

wpenner said:
Does anyone know how to change the max voltage on the 850c version of the TSDZ2. If I try to change these values, is it likely I'll possibly brick my controller?

data.png
data.txt
program.txt
Why don't you install our OpenSource firmware on your TSDZ2 and 850C display?

Cristian you can buy off the shelf for about $60 USD steel chainrings with the proper offset 52/42. The deal with the stock chainrings (single or double) has an offset on them to bring them inboard almost 5-7mm.

I cut the spider and chainring down with a table saw. I now have a router so I will trim the inboard side of the inner chainring to make it thinner and I think I can reduce the 3 washer offset. It will still not be ideal but better.

casainho said:
wpenner said:
Does anyone know how to change the max voltage on the 850c version of the TSDZ2. If I try to change these values, is it likely I'll possibly brick my controller?

data.png
data.txt
program.txt
Why don't you install our OpenSource firmware on your TSDZ2 and 850C display?

I would prefer open source software, but this is my friends bike who is not technical at all and bought it used, I really don't want to brick it. Just trying to help him out as the battery the guy sold him with it is too high of voltage. I guess i could take the LCD apart it apart to flash it, but i think i'm waiting on better instructions for a less technical person like myself.

a) Can i use the stlink programmer to program the display, or do i need to order a different type of programmer?
b) How do i dump a backup of the display firmware in case things don't work out correctly.
c) What software can i flash it with, preferably in Windows, but could to linux if required.
d) Do i have to change any wires around with how it is connected to the TSDZ2 afterwards?

WARNING ABOUT 850C LCD

NOTE: an user bought a different version of this LCD that is listed as DPC14 and that has a different hardware where our firmware does not work. If you want to make sure you buy the correct version, buy from PSWPower the model P850C on this link: http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-5e-2eaj
The DPC14 has the same appearance and seems to be a cheaper version with less memory and processing power.

wpenner said:
I would prefer open source software, but this is my friends bike who is not technical at all and bought it used, I really don't want to brick it. Just trying to help him out as the battery the guy sold him with it is too high of voltage. I guess i could take the LCD apart it apart to flash it, but i think i'm waiting on better instructions for a less technical person like myself.

a) Can i use the stlink programmer to program the display, or do i need to order a different type of programmer?
b) How do i dump a backup of the display firmware in case things don't work out correctly.
c) What software can i flash it with, preferably in Windows, but could to linux if required.
d) Do i have to change any wires around with how it is connected to the TSDZ2 afterwards?
Seems you have some problems to solve and the OpenSource firmware may be the only solution.

About your questions, I just updated the wiki and the answer to all of them are now there: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-the-Flexible-OpenSource-firmware

Is the VLCD5 8 pin cable thicker than the 6 pin cable, and does anyone know the diameter of each please?

Back