The 2 types of type 2 diabetes explained and how to reverse - page 3 and scientific studies prove it!

Whatever enthusiasm I had at the start of reading this thread has about evaporated, so I'll just post a couple of snippets:

And as for the protein, sure, lots of plants contain proteins. As far as my knowledge goes, almost all of it is incomplete protein. So unless you know which protein parts are in each plant and make sure to eat the right groups(rice and beans compliment each other and your body can use them to build complete proteins, for example) then it won't do you much good.

Old, old science - to the extent it could be called that at all. Eating enough calories of plant food provides enough protein, as long as it isn't all from the same, low protein plant. Why? Because aside from the variety of amino acids found in plants, you have a built-in 'amino acid buffer': your intestines. The intestinal linings, which are high in protein, slough off regularly (almost daily, IIRC), and as they do they 'fill in' any 'gaps' in amino acids in the diet. Sure you can get a protein deficiency if you try hard enough, but it's easier to just eat mostly animal products, if you want to get sick with a lot less effort.

On a related note: vegans. yes, they do tend to proselytize, just as the guys wolfing down burgers like to tell us how great ruminants are. Well, they are, of course - in numbers suited to their ecosystem. Between humans overrunning the planet, and us trying to stuff enough cattle, pigs and chickens into the environment to let us all eat like cavemen, we've created a situation where we need fewer ruminants (and humans) - not more. So question everyone, and if someone eschews meat - or loves it - question them twice.

Matt Gruber said:
Back to the topic
How to reverse diabetes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4UhVInyfoY
i just bought 12# of bananas, 7 mangoes, 2# cherries and grapes too.
see how this works in the video, with scientific studies 8)
The only way anybody is going to find out the truth, is to test out various ideas. Changing the diet is not any big deal, and i've discovered it is a great hobby 8)
Having tried several ideas over the past year to cure my hyper- thyroid, i'm pleased to report that the 7% fat diet is the only one that reversed my thyroid and not only did that, but reversed my weak muscle condition that i did not even know was diabetes. :shock: I had been adding olive oil or canola oil as i had been duped by clever marketing into thinking it was healthy :roll: So, much of what i now eat is still my favorite foods, but without the oil 8)
This fruit idea is a variation of the 7% fat diet, and so far i like it. But i intend to switch to no fat pasta/rolls/chips anytime i run out of fruit. I'm not running to the store like it is some kind of emergency :lol:
So willingness to try "crazy" food ideas led to a HUGE :shock: improvement in my life. I'm also willing to eat animal products anytime there is a famine and fresh produce is not available. I think that is how animals became popular in ancient times; there simply was not a steady source of fresh produce.
PS- i'm 66 and don't take any meds at all 8)

So here i'm defining T2 diabetes in plain english. Not late stage where you go blind and have limbs amputated etc. but EARLY stage. Much is written about late stage, as doctors salivate at the prospects of making huge money as they "save your life" :roll:
EARLY STAGE ( much from personal experience, and the rest from reading and videos)
Fat is the cause, plain and simple. Too much fat in the food. Too much fat in the blood stream. Too much in places where it does not belong, like muscle cells and in the liver or around other internal organs. This fat clogs up the works (simple plain english). Once fat gums things up, glucose can't get into muscle cells, etc, so glucose builds up in the blood. This is why they do various glucose tests. It is done to CONFIRM diabetes. Diabetes has fatigue as a symptom, but fatigue is common with dozens of illness or simply a lack of sleep. So how does the Dr. know how to narrow the possible diseases? By the blood tests. There are other symptoms like blurry vision, but how can a Dr see what you see? Really they can only verify by glucose tests. The cure is not to take drugs or eat food that lowers blood glucose. This is a popular effort by many. But even if you succeed, it won't UNCLOG the system! The diabetes will continue to do damage, but it could slow the damage rate. Scientific studies show lowering blood glucose delays serious problems/death by about 3 years. SURE living 3 more years is good, but diabetes still cuts life short by decades. :( when the fat is cleared out, the glucose gets to the cells and provides energy to heal the damage.

EARLY STAGE ( much from personal experience, and the rest from reading and videos)
Fat is the cause, plain and simple. Too much fat in the food. Too much fat in the blood stream. Too much in places where it does not belong, like muscle cells and in the liver or around other internal organs. This fat clogs up the works (simple plain english). Once fat gums things up, glucose can't get into muscle cells, etc, so glucose builds up in the blood. This is why they do various glucose tests. It is done to CONFIRM diabetes. Diabetes has fatigue as a symptom, but fatigue is common with dozens of illness or simply a lack of sleep. So how does the Dr. know how to narrow the possible diseases? By the blood tests. There are other symptoms like blurry vision, but how can a Dr see what you see? Really they can only verify by glucose tests. The cure is not to take drugs or eat food that lowers blood glucose.

Fat can definitely play a role in metabolic disease (diabetes plus heart and circulatory problems) but too much sugar is usually the direct cause for diabetes. In my case my diet wasn't very high in fat (I was a vegan in fact) but it was too high in sugars, including alcohol. They used to call it "an old wive's tale" that excessive sugar consumption caused diabetes, but now it's known that making your body produce vast amounts of insulin to handle high sugar intake for years can 'exhaust' the cells that produce insulin, and can also make your insulin less effective. So by all means watch your fat intake, but not at the expense of ignoring sugar intake, including alcohol.

Leftie
i agree excess sugar can be the cause,
The thing about table sugar is half is fructose, which the liver converts to triglycerides, which is a type of fat.
So i still think it is the fat that clogs muscles, veins, etc. Myself, i was down to 1 teaspoon a day for over a year, so it looks like i'll never use up those 2 bags i got in 2018 :lol: The only other item i use that has sugar is jam. So i get another 1t a day from jam. BUT no HFCS, they say that is even worse than sugar. :roll:
True that pancreas insulin output likely declines as we age, so i try not to overload mine, by eating 6 smaller meals, rather than 3 big meals.
Saying you are Vegan does not tell me anything about % of fat. Peanut butter was too high in fat for me, despite no meat, chicken, pork, dairy or eggs. Very easy to go over 7% fat with 100's of vegan dishes.
Thanks for your comments!

There is no science to support a fat-based hypothesis towards T2 diabetes. Lots of science to support carbohydrates as the cause.
Likewise there are no well controlled studies which support the theory that dietary fats have any effect on triglycerides. However carbohydrates are absolutely tied into triglyceride production.

The vast majority of diabetes researchers now recommend a low carbohydrate diet as a life long corrective measure for the disease.

Grantmac said:
There is no science to support a fat-based hypothesis towards T2 diabetes. Lots of science to support carbohydrates as the cause.
Likewise there are no well controlled studies which support the theory that dietary fats have any effect on triglycerides. However carbohydrates are absolutely tied into triglyceride production.

The vast majority of diabetes researchers now recommend a low carbohydrate diet as a life long corrective measure for the disease.

Grant
i feel much better now :lol: i fell for the same bad advice 15 months ago :roll:
i did not do any fact checking at that time; i just gave it a try :)
NO potatoes, NO bread, NO pasta
4 eggs for breakfast
burger w/brocolli for lunch
double chicken for dinner
prolly was a keto diet, but at that time i did not know of the term "keto"
After 4 or 5 weeks i wised up and did fact checking. Realized i had been duped.
Found out the truth. Cured my hyperthyroid and diabetes T2. 8) see sig for details.
good video on keto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Xsf341wH8

Due to the high protein, lowish fat, plus if you ate a bun with the burger.. an average person would not enter ketosis on a diet like that. But we've established you are not an average person.

Virta health recently completed a multi year clinical trial of a ketogenic diet for type 2 diabetics, with thousands of participants. The largest and probably most expensive study of a ketogenic diet to date. 75% of the participants were able to get off insulin and pills, and lost weight as well.

I do wonder about the other 25%. The fact that it didn't work for 100% indicates that there are some things we don't understand about type 2 diabetes.

I totally gave up all wheat products for several months, so no rolls or anything made from wheat. Everybody said bread, was bad bad bad, which is HOGWASH :roll: HOWEVER i was for decades adding 3 tablespoons of canola oil to 15 rolls( heart healthy my azz) which i have NOW eliminated all free oils from my food. oil is BAD BAD BAD. I was misled by a FAD, a VERY POPULAR FAD.
Even the nurse at my Dr. was hoodwinked, she told me to double up on chicken and quit pasta. AND I DID TRY for 4-5 weeks, and i became suspicious and found out it is just a FAD.
As i've said many times, IF you guys reversed your health conditions, and don't need drugs, KUDOS to you! 8)
Just be aware that fat promotes cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and dozens of other illness that result in a shorter life for MOST people.
Just waving a red flag. Do what you want. I'm going with proven science because it works, and as far as i can tell, it works even for type 1 diabetes allowing insulin injections to be cut in HALF (T1D is when the pancreas produces NO insulin).
I feel FANTASTIC. Rode my bike 45 min today, and when i came home i had so much energy i vacuumed the house :lol:

You aren't describing a keto diet.
Likewise canola isn't a healthy fat in any way shape or form.
Also cancer researchers overwealmingly support sugar as the highest risk factor for digestive and possibly reproductive (possibly all) cancers.

I don't, personally, eat keto unless trying to lose weight which I'm currently not. But I do limit my carb intake and eat within a window most days. Sometimes I eat whatever I want and on others I eat one meal to get myself back on track.
On the days where I am most diligent I not only perform best physically, I am also more alert and get the highest quality rest afterwords. The days where I eat whatever comes along I'm reminded why I follow the diet which I do.

Here is an interesting post about large studies vs n=1 data:
https://peterattiamd.com/is-red-meat-killing-us/

Peter has a rather large research team and a very successful longevity practice. In addition to being an endurance athlete who still managed to aquire, then beat, metabolic disorder through dieting. He has years of detailed lab work to back up his own n=1 study. In his own words there is no health marker which is possible to measure that was not improved by following a low carb diet.

amberwolf said:
Maybe everyone with problems should just try a fecal transplant to fix the gut microbial mix? ;)

I've heard that that works well for autism, mental disorders, and digestive issues. Multiple clinical trials have been done on it.

https://regenerativetimes.com/2019/...-reduced-50-two-years-after-fecal-transplant/

https://regenerativetimes.com/2019/...ior-brain-inflammation-in-animals-chop-finds/

I learned that i'm B12 deficient, even though a huge % of my diet is meat. So i eat liver a few times a week to manage my depression, as it's simply caused by a deficiency. My father also has severe B12 deficiencies due to diverticulitis, which i believe may be responsible for his intermittent psychosis and other major mood disorders. B12, when absorbed, helps form the materials your neurons are made of, as well as the myelin sheaths, which are essentially the wiring of the nerves, and also some signaling paths in the brain.

Me, dad, and sister all have abnormal absorption and elimination times of all sorts of drugs. We all have mental health issues. I believe it is a lack of enzymes, specifically one of the cytochrome P450 enzymes.

I would bet that enzyme therapy, diet changes, fecal transplants, vitamin supplements, and other more human biology appropriate techniques could cure 50%, if not more of today's modern diseases.

I keep meeting more and more people who have tinkered with their diet like me and had some amazing success stories to tell. The other day, someone told me that just eliminating wheat in his kid's diet did wonders for the kiddo's aspergers.

I believe I would try sub-lingual (under the tongue lozenges) B-12 before a fecal transplant... There are also the injections.

LeftieBiker said:
I believe I would try sub-lingual (under the tongue lozenges) B-12 before a fecal transplant... There are also the injections.

I tried the lozenges and a dozen other types of B12 supplements and they all failed.
Injections get expensive and shooting up every day is not very practical. Otherwise you go through those peaks and lulls.
Fecal transplants? yikes indeed.

A little 1oz nugget of liver does the job for me. Look at the nutrition on this bad boy. If i eat 2oz, i get euphoric from all the b12, so i stick to 1oz. This may also why cats and dogs love the stuff.

Attachments

• 2019-07-26 19_39_30-Pork, fresh, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised Nutriti...png
    2019-07-26 19_39_30-Pork, fresh, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised Nutriti...png
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,239
Interesting comments.
I do have 1 idea on why seemingly opposite foods can reverse diabetes T2.
Pretend you are a single cell anywhere in your body. You have a job to do, part of a team. Your reward is the FOOD! So when things go wrong, like diabetes, and there is a MAJOR change in the food, it gets your attention. Maybe it triggers enzymes, who knows. But somehow the cells try harder sometimes succeed. 8)
Nep
the 1 food that made a difference a year ago was LIVER. i did ride my bike some more so it did something. That was a good clue that food made a difference. But i was not going to eat liver more than 2x a week.

finally getting some traction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4vqXj-uHxk

I tried the lozenges and a dozen other types of B12 supplements and they all failed.
Injections get expensive and shooting up every day is not very practical. Otherwise you go through those peaks and lulls.
Fecal transplants? yikes indeed.

A little 1oz nugget of liver does the job for me. Look at the nutrition on this bad boy. If i eat 2oz, i get euphoric from all the b12, so i stick to 1oz. This may also why cats and dogs love the stuff.

If you can absorb B-12 from food (like liver) then you should be able to absorb it from other foods, and from the lozenges. And IIRC you only have to use the injections once or twice a month. The liver will store B-12 for up to 5 years.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can absorb B-12 from food (like liver) then you should be able to absorb it from other foods, and from the lozenges. And IIRC you only have to use the injections once or twice a month. The liver will store B-12 for up to 5 years.

I absorb some B12 from animal products, but not enough. The non-animal sourced cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin do nothing for me. Only Cobalamin ( animal source ) has an effect.

It took me 32 years to figure that out. And most of those years were spent in a haze of deep depression.

I can get my B12 levels up to the point where i feel relatively normal by eating steak that's a bit pink in the center. B vitamins are destroyed pretty badly by cooking, so that makes sense to me.

Dr. Garth Davis sums it all up in just 3 minutes 8) :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGwhTZZ3Wf8

Here Dr G explains why a keto diet does not reverse diabetes: (new 7 min video sums it all up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uptETdDvDzQ
excellent info on how to get healthy!

i did watch the Dr Mason video, and he reminds me of a magician. Cholesterol is just 1 test. He makes a career out of it.
Dr Esselstyn says look for total cholesterol to be under 150 or 140.
Mine was 196, after doing the diet change it dropped to 135.
BUT i also do bike rides, and with the new diet i can go 5X as far. AND my recovery time is dramtically improved. Say i do something that makes my knee hurt, like changing the bathroom faucet, crawling under the sink. The next day it is fine. Before it would take weeks to recover, if ever.
Just my experience, your results may vary.

Back