Building an EEB with a QS 205... Help needed

here's another bike using speed drive, overdrive cranks.. maybe see if frame seller will offer or install speed drive at purchase instead of aftermarket..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101361

I will most likely go for the Schlumpf high speed drive as I like the 1:2.5 ratio and all of the main high powered ebike manufactures seem to use it. These over drive systems from Schlumpf seem to be the best from what I have read and I actually like the fact that it does not need a cable system. As much as I would like a custom gearbox I think the cost once everything had been fabricated and installed would be ridiculous and any maintenance required would probably be quite complicated. The Schlumpf drive is not really that expensive when you consider how easy they are to install and maintain.

I am now looking at the various controllers available and I think I have decided on either a Sabvoton 72150 (unlocked) or a ASI BAC4000. I am looking for a buttery smooth instant throttle response with plenty of tuning potential/features so I may have already decided on the BAC4000 but if anyone can give me any info regarding a better setup I would love to hear it.

The Sabvoton 72150 seems to be really popular when using a QS 205 which I guess is because it is fairly cheap, reliable and well suited to the job of driving a 205 but from the reviews I have seen regarding ASI's BAC series these seem to be better in every way.

What are some of your favourite features on your controller or controllers you have tried? I like what Powervelocity are doing with their bluetooth controllers and they have the nicest functioning dash I have seen so far. They managed to include GPS, weather, temps, BMS data and plenty of other features but they apparently use a speed based throttle which it not really what I want. I also like the Adaptto products which again is due to how feature rich and convenient they are but from everything I have read they seem to have some QC problems.

This is something I have been watching for a while but it's still quite a new product and I am worried about "bugs" that may have not been ironed out yet. I like what they are doing with this though and charging through the motor is a really nice idea!

IMHO
Sabvotons are ok as long as you don't push their limits
APT AE96600 excellent but size and weight are an issue
Mobipus - don't bother

So.....
I've ordered a 24f for my eeb QS205. Looking forward to August delivery so I'll let you know.

Jonno

Jonno said:
IMHO
Sabvotons are ok as long as you don't push their limits
APT AE96600 excellent but size and weight are an issue
Mobipus - don't bother

So.....
I've ordered a 24f for my eeb QS205. Looking forward to August delivery so I'll let you know.

Jonno

you mean that you ordered nucular controller, correct.. or something else??

sorry Yes the nucular electronics 24f

Jonno

Darren2018 said:
Hi,

I am wanting to build an EEB with a QS205 V3 (this setup seems to be really popular on ES) but I am not really sure how to set it up to achieve my goals.

Ok have you made a decision? Ordered any parts yet? If not, when do you think you will? Looking forward cheers

Not yet Rockstar. Nothing will be ordered until I know exactly how everything will fit together, measure twice cut once right.

This is how far I have got with the plan.

The vector typhoon frame will allow me to run an 18" rim with a 3-3.5" tyre, this combined with the 14T on the rear and Schlumpf high speed overdrive will allow for pedalling at 30mph. This was my main goal.

The BAC4000 has all of the programable settings I could want. I have not seen anything else that come close in terms of reliability and features. I am almost certain that I will choose this over the Sabvaton. I am hoping that as it gains popularity someone will make a custom bluetooth dash board for it.

I have not yet decided on which winding is best for the 205 yet. How different is a 3T vs 4T in terms of speed/torque and efficiency?

The battery will be a VTC6 20-21S14P depending on what will fit the frame with the layout that I want. The BMS will be from ANT and rated to 300A+. The battery box will be custom made from steel and will be bolted to the frame. Type2 Mennekes charging will be enabled.

I have not yet decided on the brake setup but it will most likely be a dual front with just regen for the rear.

Suspension will be DNM. USD8A and a RCP2S. I am not sure if the USD8A has a dual calliper mount but hopefully it does.

Lights, alarm, cooling, RFID or NFC start/stop via Arduino.

The frame is the first thing I will get as I need this to be able to make the battery and then have the box fabricated.

Darren2018 said:
... I like what Powervelocity are doing with their bluetooth controllers and they have the nicest functioning dash I have seen so far. They managed to include GPS, weather, temps, BMS data and plenty of other features ...

+1 on their Bluetooth module/app (which can work with pretty much any controller, btw)

MJSfoto1956 said:
Darren2018 said:
... I like what Powervelocity are doing with their bluetooth controllers and they have the nicest functioning dash I have seen so far. They managed to include GPS, weather, temps, BMS data and plenty of other features ...

+1 on their Bluetooth module/app (which can work with pretty much any controller, btw)

Do you have any pictures or a wiring diagram? This would be really cool if I could have the PV dashboard with the BAC4000 hardware.

Darren2018 said:
Do you have any pictures or a wiring diagram? This would be really cool if I could have the PV dashboard with the BAC4000 hardware.

This is diagram is for a VOTOL controller but is generic enough. However, please double check everything though as I may have made a mistake somewhere. In particular the PV BT module needs 5V (on the backside). If you accidentally send 12V there you will fry the EMU!

slice1b.jpg

Also note that this is for READ ONLY -- programming is not supported via the app.

MJSfoto1956 said:
Darren2018 said:

This is diagram is for a VOTOL controller but is generic enough. However, please double check everything though as I may have made a mistake somewhere. In particular the PV BT module needs 5V (on the backside). If you accidentally send 12V there you will fry the EMU!

Also note that this is for READ ONLY -- programming is not supported via the app.

No I realise but it will still be a nice addition until someone releases something for the BAC. Thanks for that. I wonder if the 5V throttle will be enough to power this?

Darren2018 said:

And here is how one would wire a PowerVelocity Bluetooth module to be used with an APT AE9600 controller:

APT AE96600 documentation with PV BT.v2.1800.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE: one must be extra careful to validate that there is only 5V coming from the controller (A3). Note that with the AE96600 you can set it to 5V, 12V, or even battery voltage via the software. Needless to say, anything other than 5V will fry the BT module!

[/quote]

do you plan to ride any off-road or just a street bike?? all those frames that have the pedals mounted on the swing arm have poor rear suspension design for off-road.. rider standing on the swingarm becomes unsprung weight.. qulbix is also available as a mid-drive.. also have you looked at Mammoth ebike or Boxxbike ??
[/quote]

If you plan to use only footpegs (and not pedals), can you use a rod through the swingarm pivot (on the bottom end of the frame)? You then become sprung weight, not so? I have not seen the bolt, so I am wondering...

Darren2018 said:
A range of 45-50 miles @ 30mph
A respectable efficiency at 30mph
Pedal power still being able to be used at around 30mph ( not sure how to set the chainring up or what's possible with this motor and frame, I would like to use 17in moto rims with off road tyres)
A top speed of around 45-50mph

Pedalling is important because of the exercise not the added power. I wouldn't think twice about getting a Sur-Ron if this were not the case, the Sur-Ron is far better value and looks like a finished product rather than a pile of DIY parts bolted together but I like pedalling and I like building stuff. Power for me at least is only part of the equation, having something that does everything I want in general is more important.

YES! I'm looking for the same, AND i want it to be quiet. A sur ron or any other high-rpm mid drive seems too loud. I think maybe a 72v BBSHD would work for me except I can't have torque-sensing with that can I?

I saw a full-size electric motorcycle (street bike) that had pedals that were not actually even hooked up to the drivetrain, but that used your torque and cadence as inputs to calculate throttle output. That's what i want, but in a bike under 100 lbs and for forest roads up to moderately technical singletrack trails.

I'm following this thread. Please keep us updated!

Back