How good are the BikeE recumbent bikes at high power / high speed?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
sleepy_tired   10 W

10 W

Re: How good are the BikeE recumbent bikes at high power / high speed?

Post by sleepy_tired » Jul 25 2019 1:56am

Atomic Zombie has a lot of interesting looking kits. I was looking at that one as well, but in the video it seems to bounce like a pogo stick over bumps. I am not sure if that is a actual problem and if it is how to fix it.

The nice thing about it is that if you are the type of guy who has a older bicycles laying around you could build that for almost free. Maybe a couple hundred dollars at most. Even if you couldn't find a rear suspension donor a cheap steel full suspension bike from Walmart would be something like 200 dollars...

Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Mongoos ... 01FXUJV92/

The linkage style rear suspension might even be better at avoiding that pogo-ing effect. Maybe. I donno.

donn   1 kW

1 kW

Post by donn » Jul 25 2019 9:08am

If I were going to build a recumbent by piecing together parts of inexpensive bicycles, I guess I'd start with a Bike-E as proposed here. Then I'd know how the suspension's going to work out, because it's what I started with. They show up on craigslist for like $200.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jul 25 2019 11:11am

sleepy_tired wrote:
Jul 25 2019 1:56am
Atomic Zombie has a lot of interesting looking kits. I was looking at that one as well, but in the video it seems to bounce like a pogo stick over bumps. I am not sure if that is a actual problem and if it is how to fix it.
The garbage bike spring on the back probably has something to do with that :mrgreen:
A prerequisite would be finding a donor FS bike that could accept an air/oil shock instead.

If the bike's main tube is a source of the wobble, you could just specify a slightly thicker tube.
sleepy_tired wrote:
Jul 25 2019 1:56am
The nice thing about it is that if you are the type of guy who has a older bicycles laying around you could build that for almost free. Maybe a couple hundred dollars at most. Even if you couldn't find a rear suspension donor a cheap steel full suspension bike from Walmart would be something like 200 dollars...
I imagine you could do some urban foraging in bike store dumpsters and come up with everything you need except the big long tube, and the seat. You'd be well under $200 for parts and painting/welding/cutting supplies.

I'd imagine the end result would be 50lbs, but the portlyness is forgivable with it being a machine you built yourself.. !
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

sleepy_tired   10 W

10 W

Post by sleepy_tired » Jul 25 2019 12:16pm

I'd imagine the end result would be 50lbs, but the portlyness is forgivable with it being a machine you built yourself.. !
And when you hook up a 1500w++ motor to it the weight probably will be desirable anyways. :)

I've looked into doing this stuff before. I've found that if you want disk brakes on a 20 inch fork... You can get ones that are for 'Mods' Trails Bikes. Probably be able to find one used pretty reasonable I think.

Example:
https://www.trialprod.com/en/63-forks-20

Otherwise Suntour has.. https://www.srsuntour.us/products/xcm-air-sl-20

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jul 25 2019 4:12pm

If the (suspension) forks are steel lowers, you can also use 26" forks and put dropouts (and brake mounts, etc) higher up on the fork and use a smaller wheel with it. It does change the geometry slightly, but not that much, and it still works.

The fork on the front of this ancient pic of an early version of CrazyBike2 has a fork modified this way, though in the pic it is not using the added 20" dropouts, it's using the built-in ones.

You could probably make split-tubes with the dropouts/etc on them and clamp them to aluminum fork lowers as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

Or you could actually cut the forks down....
http://steampunkworkshop.com/Short-Whee ... bent-Bike/

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jul 31 2019 6:14pm

Well, i ended up buying a BikeE with rear suspension and the 'sweet seat' ( tall back ), over a trek R200 and other options, for just one reason: You can actually carry stuff on the back of it.

I'd like to throw an 18 inch wheel up front so that the seat can tilt back more and the pedals get pushed up. From what i read, 20" changes the geometry just a little too much.

It would also be rather easy to bolt on fairings and other stuff.

Looks like a very good candidate for prototyping a mid drive i have in mind.
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent