Reduced power in Magic Pie Golden Motor, internal controller fault?

Maio

1 µW
I have been using Magic Pie 5 Golden Motor front motors for some time. In one of my bikes I recently had to change a burnt internal controller for a brand new one. It worked fine for a day as I'm used to but then suddenly the performance power decreased as if it was working at 250 Watts and not the 1000 Watts that they're set to. I changed it one more time for a brand new controller to only find the same issue within few minutes of using the bike. Now I'm afraid to buy any more controllers in case the same was to happen. The controllers still work but at a very low power capacity. Does anybody have any idea where the problem could be? Does anybody have specific knowledge in these motors? In the industry I work in there is a lot of work for somebody with skills in emotors, controllers, lithium batteries. Can you please help with some advice or leave your contact details? Thank You

Do you have a battery with a Battery Management System?
Magic Pie is gearless I do believe, I could be wrong, I dont pay much attention to their lineup.
If your phase wires were touching you'd blow a mosfet, making the wheel cog heavily and noticeably.
Perhaps when placing the internal controller inside the motor it is shorting on something.
Why dont you try a cheap ebay controller that is not internal and see what happens.

Golden Motors' internal controllers have always been garbage.
There's been 5 revisions of that motor. During the 3rd revision, they redesigned the shell so that you can replace the controller, because they know that the controller likes to fail, after the motor has been on the market for around 10 years and has had at least 4 redesigns of the controller.

In fact, it's even crazier than this. Every internal controller'd hub motor i've seen has issues with perpetual controller failure. The idea keeps being tried and keeps failing.

I'd convert to an external controller, rather than try to get a broken design to work again.

Also, how do you know you're at 250 watts? do you have a screen that shows the volts/amps/watts/speed numerically?

Maio said:
In the industry I work in there is a lot of work for somebody with skills in emotors, controllers, lithium batteries. Can you please help with some advice or leave your contact details? Thank You

Well, you happened to have stumbled upon a forum that's full of the kind of people you're looking for. What are your questions?

I have a Magic Pie V 5 Vector Front wheel, the controller is kind of strange internal for a wheel. I shouldn't of bought it but you guys say you can remove the controller and use a external?

Yes, it can be done. It's a pain in the ass but you won't regret doing it, because it frees some heat from the motor's case, allowing you to feed it more power and get away with it, or just have increased efficiency.. :thumb:

Back