Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

Nep
Your eating out story is very common. You don't know what they put in your food :shock:
Could be MSG, salt, spices, fat, oils,.....................who knows?
You found out you can eat fruit safely.
Restaurant food is NOT safe. I gave up eating out years ago. It is not safe on every level. I doubt they "spiked" your food with plain rice. :lol: They could cook rice in ANY clear liquid to give it flavor. Can make you sick.
Even "The Fruit Doctor" got crazy blood checks after "safe" chinese food.
Please don't condemn any foods based on a bad restaurant experience. STAY AWAY from restaurants! Why you went back again and again..................... is the root cause of the problem.

I understand that there's tomfoolery at restaurants. I have aten some real garbage on cheat days though and never had such an issue. On one cheat day, we ate nothing but gourmet ramen :lol: and we got away with it.

I already knew rice and potatoes were my downfall. But sometimes you need to smoke the whole pack of cigarettes to teach yourself a lesson :lol:

Going to a restaurant is a thing we do a few times a year these days because a lot of the other reasons you mentioned.

At first i eliminated potatoes, sweet p, rice, bread, pasta, and fruit.
Then i did gradual testing of each food. I'd buy 1 sweet potato and slice off 4 oz for a test. After a month with no ill effects, i went up to 5-6 oz for 2 mos. Anyway a YEAR later i eat about 8 oz at lunch WITH 5 oz of reg potatoes.
So there were no "pig out" days ever. Just a gradual introduction of the "forbidden" foods.
Started testing 1 banana/day, now i'm up to 1, 3x a day.
I guess if i cheat. i eat 1/40 of 1 chocolate bar. I have 3, and i'm not going to throw them out, so i get a taste now and then. Everything i eat tastes great, so i don't feel the need to cheat. I do rotate out of anything that i get tired of, like squash. And buy something else in season.
Key to my success was finding a great produce market. There is often a great buy that makes it fun. Last Sat. they had 3# of bing cherries for 1.99 :shock: and peaches for .69/lb
I ate a pound of cherries on sat., froze 1 lb, and am eating the rest as snacks. Fruit is fantastic food 8)

Not a bad way to test things. More people should try extreme elimination diets. The sheer array of foods that people have problems with is stunning. I think the reality is that America is a giant genetic clusterfrak. we came from these sets of genetics:

1) Carnivore types whose ancestors mostly hunted and may have occasionally eaten berries or some foliage.
2) The subset of humans who survived the potato famine and have no problem being starchivores.
3) The subset of humans who lived as serfs for centuries and adapted to a grain/veg based diet.
4) Some people who are a combination of all 3 and never have to think about what they put in their mouth.
5) etc etc.

In addition to that, we have foods available from all around the world, at any season now. And plants have poisons that some people hyper-react to. With so many variables, the only thing you can do is the kind of experiments we have done, especially if you're of very mixed genetics like me.

It's like being thrown into the woods in another country and finding your way out. Nobody i going to hold your hand. Good luck!

I won't buy fruit when i can pick it off a tree overhanging a fence for free :mrgreen:. With how little of it i eat, there's no use buying any. If i don't find any along my route, it's no big deal. I see fruit as free bonus calories.

One time on a cheat day, I ate a peach, apple, banana, and plum, in the span of 5 minutes. I didn't have as negative of a blood sugar response as suspected. I think that whole bit about the fiber slowing down the GI effects is right.

I don't cheat because i desire these foods. It's more like i don't like the feeling of being trapped in my low carb diet. Eating normal people food a couple times a year feels good. Unless it's indian food.

neptronix said:
1) Carnivore types whose ancestors mostly hunted and may have occasionally eaten berries or some foliage.
2) The subset of humans who survived the potato famine and have no problem being starchivores.
3) The subset of humans who lived as serfs for centuries and adapted to a grain/veg based diet.
4) Some people who are a combination of all 3 and never have to think about what they put in their mouth.
5) etc etc.......

Don't forget the fish/seafood/water-food eating people who lived near a body of water and ate from it. That is where my type is from.

:D :bolt:

Nep
Do a real world test for diabetes T2. Leave your battery pack at home and make sure you can pedal 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Don't worry if your speed is down, that is normal.
:bigthumb:

Is that the official diagnostic procedure? :mrgreen:

Other than one pit stop, I rode my bike for 5 hours straight, no motor, last month. Got a wicked sunburn from it i'll never forget :lol:

I did that while i was much earlier in the process of healing my fractured tibia. It's too hot by now for a joyride like that.

file.php

file.php

My average speed is higher than when i was a carbivore. But i also lost about 100lbs since then, so it's pretty unfair to compare old me to new me.

The biggest difference is that i can go much longer without eating, and there are very little fluctuations in my energy. But this is a well known and very typical side effect of a ketogenic diet. You lose a little 'burst' power on keto though, because fat/protein may be long burning fuels, but the path from fat/protein metabolism > muscle motion is longer than that of carbs > muscle motion.

WOW! How did your leg break? Do your bones test strong?
5 hrs is impressive 8)

I had it broken and twisted into the correct bio mechanical position, because it was bent outwards 15 degrees since birth and i developed serious arthritis in my hip, knee, and ankle. It took 7 years to get to the bottom of where the pain was coming from, because the orthopedics world has a big problem with tunnel vision and not seeing the body as a moving whole.

My ankle and knee pain is gone. However, i then learned that my hip is twisted outwards 18 degrees. I still have some hip pain, and eventually get to have my femur cut in half and rotated. Or i need a new hip, which i'd like to avoid.

One interesting thing about keto is that it reduced my inflammation so far that i was finally able to walk again. The problem with this is that i was able to ignore what was going on and managed to rub deeper bald spots into cartilage surfaces.

Inflammation is an alarm bell that shouldn't be ignored. I didn't intentionally go on a keto diet for that reason tho.

here is an interesting success story, he claimed he was a low carb vegan and got T2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxEd5c26vc
Nep- thanks for sharing - good luck 8)

OK, i watched it.

He said his diet was 'lower carbs'. He was also following the dietary advice from men's magazines. Between these two statements, i would bet good money he was not doing a ketogenic diet. So you're making a big leap in calling it keto.

I've been involved in the keto community and never once seen anyone report a mg/dl blood glucose value above 100 when the diet is followed properly. We always find out that their carb count is wrong.

If you eat a high fat diet but you don't enter ketosis, it's actually extremely dangerous. It's not something i'd recommend to anyone. Without shifting to fat as a primary fuel, fat circulates freely and causes havoc. Similar to how an inefficient metabolism of carbohydrates is a crisis for the body.

I have never heard any reports of long term keto vegans/vegetarians. Nobody seems to stick to it. IMHO it's a horrible way to do keto.

On this low fat plan, his fasting glucose and A1C is a bit worse than mine and Steve Cooksey's ( a type 2 diabetic following a keto approach for 10 years ), but the improvement is impressive nonetheless.

I have 6 years of doctors telling me i don't have type 2 diabetes under my belt. I'd like to see what this approach looks like at 6 years if not longer. In clinical trials of low fat diets for type 2 diabetes, we see an initial improvement, but eventually the insulin resistance becomes a problem again in a majority of the studies. Yet it's still seen as a win for T2D. I think that's the result of some people patting themselves on the back a little too soon.

nep
Time to get on with your life 8)

Gracias.

Following any kind of intentional diet is too hard for most people, which is why you see what you see in people's shopping carts. Both a keto dieter and a vegan dieter have to read labels and be concerned about all manner of things. What most people don't get is that eventually these diets become very easy once they're on autopilot and require basically zero mental effort or willpower.

I found being a vegetarian was very hard in the late 2000's and being a vegan in the early 2010's was even harder. I didn't do the vegan diet long enough for it to get to the 'autopilot' stage, but i can't blame the vegan diet for that.

Admittedly, look at both of us.. two people who have been through the ringer health wise. We didn't have a choice but to experiment with our own health and then settle on a weird diet. It took almost dying for us to change our ways. And i think that's because unhealthy eating is the norm - so to eat a weird diet means to increase a lot of friction in your life. It's easy for me because i don't really have a choice.

“Indian food is based on starchy stuff like rice, potatoes, and wheat. ”

Seriously? Sikh, Muslim, Hindu, or several other distinctly different styles? Explain why they’re not fat asses? I’ve hundreds of recipes from 6 distinctly different Indian diets. None are primarily starches.

The basis of this thread is pretty silly. Main factor for pedal range, discounting genetics and assuming sufficient calories and nutrients, is training.

You can get adequate calories and good enough nutrition to make training your limiting factor with a pretty horrible diet.

If you want to eat "healthy" foods that's fine, but don't confuse basic nutrition (which, counterintuitively doesn't require "healthy" foods) and exercise with some healthfood bullshit.

flat tire said:
The basis of this thread is pretty silly. Main factor for pedal range, discounting genetics and assuming sufficient calories and nutrients, is training.

You can get adequate calories and good enough nutrition to make training your limiting factor with a pretty horrible diet.

Any serious body builder and endurance athlete would disagree with this. Macronutrients matter a lot. Micronutrients barely seem to matter.

The fat to energy pathway is long and lossy. The protein to energy pathway is fairly short. Carbs? shortest path possible. And that's why this guy, who swears on his life with the low carb approach, consumes carbs during weight lifting. And if i ever wanted to get into competitive cycling, i'd be eating a gruber diet. But only during a race.

I'm in the middle of a break on body building, but i learned the effects of diet early on. Fat is not the best fuel. I put on more muscle in 1 year than i did in 3, just by consuming 15g of dextrose before attacking the bars. It allowed me to push myself so much harder it's not even funny. A guy who calls himself 'darth luiggi' taught me the trick and he s the most ripped guy doing keto on the planet. Also smart as heck.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have a fruitarian dude named durianrider who swears his diet is the ultimate thing for road biking. The guy is shaped like a stick with muscles on it and an incredible endurance athlete.

This stuff matters a lot. It matters even more for what happens to your body when you're not pushing it.

Bodybuilding (and cycling) is 99% hard work and genetics, in that order, if you don't have a nutrition deficiency. You can fulfill your macro / micro needs without eating a "clean" diet. I'm not saying eat burger king every day but you probably could do that and make good gains if you work hard and make sure to fulfill your overall nutritional needs.

:lol: i wish i could be that smart :lol:
I'm following the decades of proven successful research by many world famous experts, some are named in my sig.
"THE CHINA STUDY" by Colin Campbell is said to be excellent confirmation (i have not read it) There are numerous books by those in my sig. I'm not a book salesman, but the research is there for anyone to read. I'm not selling anything; i'm just giving a heads up warning to those that were duped (like me, by fat rich plans) to look around and don't be fooled by fad diets that cause early mortality from heard disease, cancer and complications from diabetes. The Ornish plan is approved by medicare because he applied, and after they investigated for years, they found out 7% WORKS 8)

I really should be a nutrition / fitness consultant. All my clients would quit: "what do you mean I have to work hard and not eat too much??"

flat tire said:
Bodybuilding (and cycling) is 99% hard work and genetics, in that order, if you don't have a nutrition deficiency. You can fulfill your macro / micro needs without eating a "clean" diet. I'm not saying eat burger king every day but you probably could do that and make good gains if you work hard and make sure to fulfill your overall nutritional needs.

The problem is that there are many conceptions of what proper nutrition is. And the official recommendations ( grain based diet ) are just one opinion, whose case rests on evidence that's so low quality (highly cherry picked epidemiology) that the word 'evidence' should not be used to refer to it.

Matt Gruber said:
"THE CHINA STUDY" by Colin Campbell is said to be excellent confirmation (i have not read it)

The China study is often quoted by vegans as a means to support their dietary choices, however many have also not read it or analyzed what the data actually means. Same thing with the talk about blue zones, Okinawa etc.

The devil is in the details, and epidemiology is not science - it's only useful for creating a hypothesis that you need to test later. Yet, this the basis for a majority of diet plans; that, and science that establishes links, but not causes.

This is one area of life where a complete re-think of everything you know is crucial if you want to thrive.

neptronix said:
The problem is that there are many conceptions of what proper nutrition is. And the official recommendations ( grain based diet ) are just one opinion, whose case rests on evidence that's so low quality (highly cherry picked epidemiology) that the word 'evidence' should not be used to refer to it.

No there aren't and scientific consensus has never supported the food pyramid or whatever.

Simplified, you have an essential base of both fats and proteins to synthesize new shit and then carbs to round out the rest of your caloric needs. And you need some vitamins and minerals, maybe more of less of some and others depending on lifestyle like how much you drink. That is nutrition. There are more or less straightforward (and more or less palatable) ways to get all those things. It's not that complicated.

I'm not aware of any vegan populations anywhere in the world. I would be quite surprised if any areas in china are or were vegan. The blue zones are not vegan either. I eat sardines 2x a month and will gladly eat turkey in Nov. So i'm not a vegan. I was duped by school into thinking i had to eat meat and drink cow milk to survive. Most meats i really don't care for, so not buying them is easy. My problem was too much fat; it didn't matter if it came from peanut butter or meat.
For me this entire 14 page topic condenses down to my sig. Now that i have my food mistakes corrected, i can get on with my life 8) I have always loved vegetables, so growing tomatoes and greens is my 1st step 8)
Best of luck to all! :thumb:

Why did my thyroid improve at the same time with my 7% fat? I stopped eating peanut butter, chocolate, and corn chips. They all have salt, and the chips are very salty. In the US, iodine is added to salt to prevent the thyroid from being starved of iodine, from which it makes T4, a critical hormone used in numerous body functions. The easiest to see a malfunction is the pulse, BUT, it may not show up in the pulse. It is just easy to check, like taking your temperature is easy, but it is just a good clue.
In 2018 i read how the hyper can reverse, and then go too low on T4, so i ordered $2 of kelp powder, which is crazy high in iodine, just in case.
So as my 7% cleared out the fat in my system, lack of iodine brought my T4 into the normal range and between the 2, i felt great. BUT my pulse, etc, kept going lower and lower as i did not know i was iodine deficient (despite switching to iodized salt). Example of how low my pulse got, a week ago it was 52 at rest, and using a pole saw in the sun on a hot day, it only went up to 82 :shock: That is seriously low for how hard i was working.
So i tried the kelp for a week, but i didn't know how much to eat, and i became impatient and wanted to check my blood as i felt crappy all over. Got blood taken on thursday, and now the kelp has taken effect, and raking the leaves it got up to 134 :shock: I'm a skeptic about "food as medicine" BUT this is amazing as i only eat 1/4 teaspoon of kelp powder a day! As i type this pulse is 64, so it comes back down as it should.
here are 10 common symptoms of too little T4 (some get some of these, even 1 can be a problem, i had a bunch)
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/hypothyroidism-symptoms#section11

Very cool that you figured that out!
And yes, behold the power of diet experimentation!! there are so many aspects to it!

I've started dating a woman who has hashimoto's thyroiditis, and i can tell that she reacts to food, based on what she's told me. The interesting part is that she has a severe reaction to seaweed.. which is of course, loaded with iodine and other thyroid hormone building materials. The problem is that her body does not like having high T3 levels. I believe a super low iodine diet could help her too. Yet she benefits greatly from taking selenium. hm?

I've realized i don't know shit about the thyroid and have a lot of reading to do. The one thing i DO know, is that in hashimotos.. when you cut carbs, the antibody counts plummet and therefore the dose of synthetic hormone can be reduced..

2 yrs ago i was eating 400-800 calories/day from fat- 3 meals/day. Now i eat no added oils, no cheese, no fatty foods, and eat 6-7 meals a day from fruit, veg., pasta,bread, beans etc see sig. fasting glucose is now 116, was 115. HA1C 5.1
C-Peptide tests confirm my pancreas is making little insulin 0.73 :( I've felt crappy this past month and this confirms why my glucose and tryg. are both elevated - not enough insulin to do the job. tryg 168 was 161.
Plan to coax the pancreas up with more T4/T3 w/kelp, or pills if necessary.
Dramatic drop in cholesterol 135 :bigthumb: was 196 :shock:
LDL 67 was 104
Full recovery of liver functions 8) Liver was damaged due to thyroid meds.
Ferritin 243 :thumb: was 382 Too much impairs muscles.
Uric acid 4.8 :thumb:
Numerous other tests all normal.
8pm the night before the test my last meal was a roll w/jam and a banana
542pm edit: Kelp powder did the trick today 8) had a great day :bigthumb:
EDIT if anyone wants to learn more about c-peptide see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyj76_lOBY&list=PLuPCNQ25duDdDU4wIMpqURP-u-TjYwb2g&index=2 I did not do the antibody tests, but, believe it is likely i don't have any. Even so, he say insulin injections will likely be needed. :(

Back