Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
anyone else selling drop in battery upgrade for surron market, lets make list by country.. I'm guessing Allex and others make them as well??

Will offer both batteries and controllers, but might take a while. Not in a mood right now =)

Would anyone know, if you unplug your charger during a charge.

Is it better to unplug the AC plug first or DC connector first?

I assume one will spark less?

Offroader said:
Would anyone know, if you unplug your charger during a charge.

Is it better to unplug the AC plug first or DC connector first?

I assume one will spark less?
I unplug the DC connector first, but I don't think it matters much when unplugging. You won't get much of a spark on either the AC or the DC connector.

Does anyone know the best way to discharge the battery when it’s Not on the bike? I believe the charger came with it doesn’t do discharge?

Merlin said:

Yeah best would be to ride it. Funny question because I wanted to discharge my other ebike and didn't want to ride it so I turned on the LED front light. I left it on for hours, and it got pretty hot the light, starting voltage 69 and when I went to check it 6 hours later the voltage was still at 69 volts. Takes a real long time to discharge a 3KWH battery like that.

The only other option is to just leave the bike on and the lights will slowly discharge the battery in a pinch, The bike battery should cut-off if you forget about it.

sYnSBG said:
Offroader said:
You can get this new headset, assuming that is what you are referring to. They have all the right sized parts for a 1 1/8 straight steerer. If your DVO emerald is tapered then you will have to get something different.

https://lunacycle.com/cane-creek-forty-sur-ron-headset-bearing/

Yep, thanks the emrald is tapered, i found a Headset with the right diameters but i think there are no bearings inside, im new tho this so i have no glue xD

Gravity Unisex SX Pro Keine 55 Tapered Steuerrohr Mountain Bike Headset, Schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007WRYLJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N9UrDbRZ9GRYS

You should really stick with cane creek or maybe hope. I had good luck with cane creek so I just use that headset. You can also call them on the phone for any questions and they have knowledgeable people who will answer all your questions.

I would recommend to just order the Luna Cycle headset as you won't beat that price as you need some custom parts. But that headset is only for a 1/8th straight steerer tubes like on the Killah Fork.

Since you need a tapered headset, I believe this one will work and I would recommend you buy this cane creek 40 tappered one after checking to make sure it will work. You will have to measure the inner diameter of your headtube and make sure the EC49 bottom cup is the proper size by calling cane creek. The Sur-Ron bottom head tube diameter should be about 49.61mm for this to work.

I actually think this headset will work with tapered or straight, you would just need to purchase the correct crown race to put on your fork.

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-40-Tapered-Headset/dp/B009F9475Q/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=CjwKCAjw7anqBRALEiwAgvGgm-Q2WLG9bzHGXfI9ES-Xr5cuWVRq1X6giFi8g6Wf5m6ozw8zmt6pVhoC2o8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=233914990245&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004153&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4430914708950046066&hvtargid=aud-647006051489%3Akwd-331505144551&hydadcr=2431_9914356&keywords=cane+creek+40+tapered+headset&qid=1565190594&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Merlin said:
Riding it hard always the best way, But in a scenario that you fully charge your bike and decide not going to ride it for a week or longer, I assume it would be better to discharge the battery to lower V

Offroader said:
sYnSBG said:
Offroader said:
You can get this new headset, assuming that is what you are referring to. They have all the right sized parts for a 1 1/8 straight steerer. If your DVO emerald is tapered then you will have to get something different.

https://lunacycle.com/cane-creek-forty-sur-ron-headset-bearing/

Yep, thanks the emrald is tapered, i found a Headset with the right diameters but i think there are no bearings inside, im new tho this so i have no glue xD

Gravity Unisex SX Pro Keine 55 Tapered Steuerrohr Mountain Bike Headset, Schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007WRYLJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N9UrDbRZ9GRYS

You should really stick with cane creek or maybe hope. I had good luck with cane creek so I just use that headset. You can also call them on the phone for any questions and they have knowledgeable people who will answer all your questions.

I would recommend to just order the Luna Cycle headset as you won't beat that price as you need some custom parts. But that headset is only for a 1/8th straight steerer tubes like on the Killah Fork.

Since you need a tapered headset, I believe this one will work and I would recommend you buy this cane creek 40 tappered one after checking to make sure it will work. You will have to measure the inner diameter of your headtube and make sure the EC49 bottom cup is the proper size by calling cane creek. The Sur-Ron bottom head tube diameter should be about 49.61mm for this to work.

I actually think this headset will work with tapered or straight, you would just need to purchase the correct crown race to put on your fork.

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-40-Tapered-Headset/dp/B009F9475Q/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=CjwKCAjw7anqBRALEiwAgvGgm-Q2WLG9bzHGXfI9ES-Xr5cuWVRq1X6giFi8g6Wf5m6ozw8zmt6pVhoC2o8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=233914990245&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004153&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4430914708950046066&hvtargid=aud-647006051489%3Akwd-331505144551&hydadcr=2431_9914356&keywords=cane+creek+40+tapered+headset&qid=1565190594&s=gateway&sr=8-3

For DVO tapered, these are the exact parts:
Top - ZS44 / 28.6
Bottom - ZS55/40
I use Hope because it has a split crown race makes on and off piece of cake.

BCTECH said:
Merlin said:
Riding it hard always the best way, But in a scenario that you fully charge your bike and decide not going to ride it for a week or longer, I assume it would be better to discharge the battery to lower V

You could leave the headlight on overnight. :wink:

most dc-ac inverter is only up to 48 / 60V, no luck finding 67.2V
might have to step down the dc to 12v first.

Merlin said:
Tested?
I have... Most kitchen stuff don't run below 100vdc ;(
A hairdryer was first on my list. No success.
I have a hair dryer that works. Only catch is you have to unplug the dryer when you want to turn it off. Using the switch on the dryer caused it to arc and fail. Many cheap hair dryers use a brushed DC motor for the blower that work fine on DC input.

6 serie H4 car headlights 12V-60Watt in serie for continue 5A-60Watt discharge.

2P-6S for 10A-120Watt discharge..4P wil wurk nice 240Watt discharge :thumb: ......put a cycle analyst with external shunt between and you can
even check the AH/Wh :lol:

I left my lights on overnight to test the poor (but simple) mans battery discharger. Results - about 8% overnight (~9hrs being 'on'). some would call that 1%/h, assuming its all linear. This is the aussie road legal version, not sure what the lights are pulling in terms of total watts, but there's a dual lamp headlight, a rear driving (red) light, and a number-plate light.

1st Sur-Ron Black Edition on the road in the US - picked it up from Luna today. Thank you to the guys at the Luna shop for getting this ready for me. I Ubered over and road it home. I have been riding motorcycles for 30 years and have owned 2 electric bikes, including one that I modded up to 34mph, and this bike has already exceeded my expectations. Can't wait to get back on it.... so see ya later!

I take offense to your comment. That was my second post! This is my third. I could keep going. Joking aside, I hope to contribute meaningful content once I gain some experience with the bike.

Woke up to this from my charger. Can I short this to do a quick charge? Can I buy these anywhere and solder them or should I just buy a new charger?
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_190810_113200849_crop_1024x2048.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_190810_113200849_crop_1024x2048.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,283
Back