[AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Cowardlyduck

Staff member
Hi all,

I guess I better make it official since I've done a bunch of these already. Below you can see a few of the custom made packs I've made so far.

Here is a pack for a FUTR Beta:
[youtube]IcTt57DinTw[/youtube]

Here is a large pack for a Stealth Bomber:
[youtube]zO_zIg2PJ80[/youtube]

Here is one I built for an FUTR Alpha:
[youtube]UeBk4JxM3rw[/youtube]

I also built this 2.5Kwh battery for my own Fighter:
file.php

file.php

file.php

Pricing is calculated based on a lot of factors so can be a bit hard to predict, but as a rough rule of thumb add roughly $1250 on top of the pack Wh. It's more for larger packs and less for smaller packs.

Note: Along with everything else being crazy lately, so is my pricing which is largely dependant on wholesale prices for cells. I do my best to keep prices reasonable, but can only do so much and have to pass on any increases in wholesale pricing.

For BMS solutions I prefer to offer the packs with bluetooth capable BMS so you can actually see why it might have tripped if it does.
I can also offer a solution with balance leads and battery medics balancing solution as seen in some of my older builds.

Shipping within Australia is reasonable, but international shipping is out of the question due to ridiculous requirements and costs.

Because every build is different I don't have all the supplies ready to go and have to order them in prior to starting a build. This means the typical time from deposit to pack completion is 2-4 months.

Flick me a PM or email to ebikegarage@outlook.com or contact me via my website https://ebikegarage.com.au to talk about options.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_5339 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_5339 (Medium).JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 5,941
Hey CD, I was just looking at your Fighter battery, that is alot of battery!!!! Did you have to modify the frame to fit that battery in there?

Hey Rick,

Nah the Fighter battery was built to the exact dimensions of the frame opening. Maximum possible capacity that can fit without modding the frame.
I'm not keen on loosing my lifetime frame warranty, so any drastic frame modding is out of the question.

The Beta battery above on the other hand did require some frame 'corrections'. I wouldn't say they were even mods as the only reason the battery wouldn't fit was because the frame had a lot of factory imperfections and the opening was far from square/straight.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Hey Rick,

Nah the Fighter battery was built to the exact dimensions of the frame opening. Maximum possible capacity that can fit without modding the frame.
I'm not keen on loosing my lifetime frame warranty, so any drastic frame modding is out of the question.

The Beta battery above on the other hand did require some frame 'corrections'. I wouldn't say they were even mods as the only reason the battery wouldn't fit was because the frame had a lot of factory imperfections and the opening was far from square/straight.

Cheers

Oh yah, I totally forgot about the warranty thing. Im on the fence with my next build. Which is rebuild the Bomber or build up my Alpha. The Bomber battery will not fit in the Alpha frame without increasing the opening. I like the Vboxx which is why I am leaning towards rebuilding the bomber. But I got this Alpha frame in army green just sitting there. Decisions?????

Well you can copy what I did above for your Alpha and you'll get a 3.25Kwh battery. :)

Or if your keen, you could build 2 at once to save total time/cost.

I'm currently looking into cheaper international shipping options. I'm hopping I can get the shipping cost below $500AUD. If that's possible then I should be able to compete with Stealth on replacement Bomber/Fighter packs. :D

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Well you can copy what I did above for your Alpha and you'll get a 3.25Kwh battery. :)

Or if your keen, you could build 2 at once to save total time/cost.

I'm currently looking into cheaper international shipping options. I'm hopping I can get the shipping cost below $500AUD. If that's possible then I should be able to compete with Stealth on replacement Bomber/Fighter packs. :D

Cheers

Yah, shipping makes it a tough market. I ran into this problem back when I was importing Crystalyte 5404 motors. I was pigging backing on a friend who had a dealer license so shipping to me was cheap. However, re selling and shipping around the world, I was only making about 20 bucks a unit and wasn't worth the head ache to do it. I got out because of that.

CJonaBttlrckt said:
From where do others in Australia source batteries?
Doesn't seem easy nor cost effective.

Correct, which is why I can build one for you instead:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101045

Nobody ever guessed it before but I'm currently building this 20S12P pack for a Hurricane:
DSC_5909.JPG

PM me if you want something made.

Cheers

Theodore Voltaire said:
I was thinking about making my next battery but after watching all the work you have to do CD, it makes me feel a lot better about just buying a battery.
Yeah, it's a lot of work. People often baulk at the prices I quote, but they don't realise I'm actually paying myself bugger all for the time it takes to build them.
The main benefit I actually get is the bulk cell rates and supplier deals I get when I order huge cell quantities. Then I get to keep some for myself and all my own projects for very reasonable prices. :)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
I was thinking about making my next battery but after watching all the work you have to do CD, it makes me feel a lot better about just buying a battery.
Yeah, it's a lot of work. People often baulk at the prices I quote, but they don't realise I'm actually paying myself bugger all for the time it takes to build them.
The main benefit I actually get is the bulk cell rates and supplier deals I get when I order huge cell quantities. Then I get to keep some for myself and all my own projects for very reasonable prices. :)

Cheers

I totally understand. I'm in the service business, and I know what I charge. If I charged the same as I charge now for all the work making a big battery pack my labor would probably be 5 times the price of the battery's.

Cowardlyduck said:
CJonaBttlrckt said:
From where do others in Australia source batteries?
Doesn't seem easy nor cost effective.

Correct, which is why I can build one for you instead:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101045

Nobody ever guessed it before but I'm currently building this 20S12P pack for a Hurricane:
DSC_5909.JPG

PM me if you want something made.

Cheers

Hi and thanks CD,
Maybe my next battery...we'll see!

I really only want about fifty cells, as I was hoping to get another year or two out of my relatively recently purchased battery, with a bit of cell replacement.
There seems to be a few parallel packs that aren't keeping up.
I'm not confident the BMS isn't the cause.

I directed said Hurricane owner to you for the new battery.
The Hurricane's in my shed being subjected to foot peg assembly replacement with a bottom bracket for single speed pedal setup.

Cheers,
Clinton

Hey CD, awesome that there is a local making cool stuff (local is within three or four thousdan km :wink: ).

I'll see how the tax return goes and might hit you up for a custom split pack to go under the running boards of a yuba mundo, current battery location is more than a little top heavy. The missus needs a replacement for a dying 24v ping pack as well.

Grautuefel said:
Hey CD, awesome that there is a local making cool stuff (local is within three or four thousdan km :wink: ).

I'll see how the tax return goes and might hit you up for a custom split pack to go under the running boards of a yuba mundo, current battery location is more than a little top heavy. The missus needs a replacement for a dying 24v ping pack as well.
Sounds good mate. Whether it's massive capacity, huge power, or weird shapes, custom packs are my main thing now so let me know when your ready. :)

Cheers

About time I posted an update on this thread. Yes I am still building batteries and yes, my prices have increased along with everything else lately. I still barely cover costs and pay myself below minimum wage to remain slightly competitive, as the biggest benefit I get out of it is the wholesale pricing on cells for my own projects and that still (barely) makes it worth it.

Here is my latest build. Enjoy!

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
About time I posted an update on this thread. Yes I am still building batteries and yes, my prices have increased along with everything else lately. I still barely cover costs and pay myself below minimum wage to remain slightly competitive, as the biggest benefit I get out of it is the wholesale pricing on cells for my own projects and that still (barely) makes it worth it.

Here is my latest build. Enjoy!

Cheers

If we every figure out a way to get your batteries to the US without super high shipping prices and drama, I would definitely give you some business, This coming winter, I am going to build up another Alpha. Nothing radical, but long range for sure.

Rix said:
If we every figure out a way to get your batteries to the US without super high shipping prices and drama, I would definitely give you some business, This coming winter, I am going to build up another Alpha. Nothing radical, but long range for sure.
Thanks for the kind comments Rix!
I miss the Alpha I made few years back. With the battery I ended up making for the new owner (3.25Kwh one above) it would have epic range...probably 200km+.

I have attempted several times to figure out a way to ship internationally with the last attempt even going so far as to investigate sending the battery contained within a cheap Ebike frame which didn't work out either.
So far I've investigated options through Fedex and DHL, but neither of those are possible for me as they require a business account, several day training course (which last I checked is only held a few times a year in Hawaii) and a passed dangerous goods shipping exam just to send anything lithium through them. And even then they still charge ridiculous amounts to do it.
The only other option is sea shipping, but my understanding is that only makes sense at scale. That is how China is able to make it work for the vast amounts of lithium batteries they export and also why it typically takes 2-3 months for large cell orders to arrive.

All that being said...if anyone knows some magical way to ship these things outside Australia for a reasonable price (<$500AUD) I am all ears and would love to know about it.

Cheers

Maybe it’s just your personal battery I’m seeing where you didn’t add O-rings on the top of cells. I fear after some time vibrating in a bike it’s not hard to cut through the shrink with the nickel strip like that.
I read you shouldn’t weld in the center of the cell bottom.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Maybe it’s just your personal battery I’m seeing where you didn’t add O-rings on the top of cells. I fear after some time vibrating in a bike it’s not hard to cut through the shrink with the nickel strip like that.
I read you shouldn’t weld in the center of the cell bottom.
Not sure where your seeing that....I put barely paper insulating rings on every cell in every pack I make as I fully understand the risks. Please show me where you think I didn't.

Cheers

your other pics weren't showing and all i saw was this which looks like none. maybe theyre there but doesnt look like it. maybe i imagine too many possibilities that arent there.

Attachments

• DSC_4271 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_4271 (Medium).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,276
Back